Is healthy Zion a better talent than healthy Embiid?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

better talent

Zion
38%
Embiid
62%

Total votes: 363

In SVG We Trust
Starter
And1: 1,399

Re: Is healthy Zion a better talent than healthy Embiid? 

Post#21 » by In SVG We Trust » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:28 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:The Embiid slander from Raps fans is bizarre to me.

Philly beat the brakes off of the Raps in the playoffs when Embiid was on the floor. His defense was that dominant.

Then the Raps proceeded to quite comfortably take out the Bucks and Warriors.

Raps ended up winning the title, so I don’t get why they’d be insecure about how great/impactful Embiid was in their playoff series.

You mean the guy with 17ppg and 37% ?
MavfanAus
Analyst
And1: 2,302

Post#22 » by MavfanAus » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:30 pm

Zion's potential is generational. But whether he reaches that generational level of potential is obviously the great unknown.

Regarding Embiid, I'm not going to pick who the better talent is ect. What id like to see more from him is less talk. Dude has so much talent as a modern day big yet talks too much and gets too invested in social media. I mean sure, Shaq talked a lot but he also backed it up. Joel needs to grow up a little. I'd have throught that he'd have matured a little by now but he's still acting like a kid. Could well and truly be a case of another Dwight Howard. All the tools to be great yet sidetracked by outside nuisances
KungFuJoe
Pro Prospect
And1: 312

Post#23 » by KungFuJoe » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:14 pm

Give me Zion. I was never a huge fan of Embiid. Too much immaturity upstairs. People seemed to think he was funny or whatever regarding his social media antics back when he was “The Process” but it’s shown to carry over onto the court. Big egos tend to be fragile egos.

Zion has none of that. He’s humble and respectful but still tries to destroy you in the game. Reminds me of Pacquiao to be honest.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,559

Post#24 » by KGtabake » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:22 pm

My only issue with Embiid is his maturity level. Not his health anymore. I don't think he'll ever play again a 70 game season but i happen to believe the same for Zion.
Embiid's brains though is a problem. If you miss 5 games and you come back fat and out of shape, health has nothing to do with it.
Aside from all the headlines for the wrong reasons.
Zion seems grounded despite all the buzz, hopefully he'll remain that way.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,674

Post#25 » by stormi » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Philly beat the brakes off of the Raps in the playoffs when Embiid was on the floor. His defense was that dominant.

Raps ended up winning the title, so I don’t get why they’d be insecure about how great/impactful Embiid was in their playoff series.

Jojo was statistically more dominant (on/off wise) during his minutes on the court than Kawhi while battling a disease in his tummy worse than corona. Nobody else did that to the Raptors last year

even in a down 'the world is falling' year where he's been splitting a majority of his minutes with another center for the first time in his career, he's still the best rim protector in the league while averaging ~23ppg

Read on Twitter

Give me the best big man in the league over Bobby Portis with more hops
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,052

Post#26 » by iggymcfrack » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:27 pm

Embiid’s obviously the better player right now, but if you’re asking who has more potential, who’s the better asset, who you’d rather have for the next 6 years I’m taking Zion for sure. What he’s doing as a rookie matches up with the best rookies ever at 21, 22, 23 years old and he’s only 19. I wouldn’t trade him for anyone but Giannis or Doncic.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,479

Post#27 » by Synciere » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:28 pm

Zion's better because he plays much better off the ball. He doesn't need any plays run for him to be effective so everything happens much more in the flow of the game. Embiid is better now, but Zion is going to be better long term.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#28 » by kuclas » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:37 pm

Height generally rules in the nba. Given equal talent. The taller player.

If Zion were closer to 6’8 or 6 9. I’d go with healthy Zion over a healthy 7 foot Embiid.

We are talking purely overall talent with no injury concerns.

We can’t take into account when Embiid is moody/out of shape to blur out decision.

Just look what an out of shape does to Giannis. The minute Embiid leaves to rest. Giannis immediately attacks the rim. He has that type of paint deterrent when he’s on the floor even looking sluggish.

Zion has incredible body control. He’s a big boy. He seems to score at will easily than Embiid who has or use bully ball and lost his footwork. So Zion will be the better offensive player.
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#29 » by r0drig0lac » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Zion's generational talent. Embiid's just a big guy, he doesn't have anything special about him besides his height.

Besides, what team wants to build around a C in today's NBA. Maybe if this was the 90's, it would be closer.

:-?
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#30 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:51 pm

There's a difference between "better talent" and who's a better player right now. I think embiid may be pretty close to maxed out...he honestly hasn't gotten much better statisticly since a rookie. Obviously zion has a lot of upside, but the question is how much upside and how often he realizes it. I think a player like this, well he could be a LeBron level of talent but I'm not sure he ever reaches that level or how likely it is.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
bluemj32
Rookie
And1: 937

Post#31 » by bluemj32 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:53 pm

If Joel had Zions motor then I'd take Joel but what I think besides Zions athletic ability and motor is his skill.

He makes those around him better. He can take the ball off the glass start a fast break or offense on his own. And he's only 19

Joel's size defensively also makes him desirable but Joel's desire is not always there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using RealGM mobile app
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#32 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:54 pm

Raptors were +6 points in 6 games vs the bucks in a series they won 4-2. A series where the bucks missed a lot of three point and open three point shots. I don't think they won that series comfortably.

I agree with your stance that a lot of raptors fans want to come on and say Embiid isn't that good. That's just kind of how we are with rival teams/players. I'm not sure if that plus minus stuff was all embiid's dominance and not somewhat based on luck though. Likely if they play philly again the on off splits would be closer.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,374

Post#33 » by JRoy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:01 pm

I will make a bet right now that Zion misses more career games than Embiid even including Embiids first 2 seasons.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,470

Post#34 » by PD28 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:11 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Zion's generational talent. Embiid's just a big guy, he doesn't have anything special about him besides his height.

Besides, what team wants to build around a C in today's NBA. Maybe if this was the 90's, it would be closer.

If Embiid is just a big guy and nothing special about him other than height - what makes him better than pretty much every other big man?
EasternHeretic
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Post#35 » by EasternHeretic » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:27 pm

JRoy wrote:I will make a bet right now that Zion misses more career games than Embiid even including Embiids first 2 seasons.

:o
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#36 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 am

you can't teach maturity and motor. Embid should be a 30-15 guy considering there aren't any bigs that should be able to stop him. But he is a beta on offense and he's not in great shape. He reminds me of Shaq in MIA once he started getting fat and mailed it in. He was still dominant when he wanted but his motor, especially on defense was terrible and injuries and weight killed him. That was somewhat understandable for Shaq as he was 32 y/o, making movies, and had rings. It's indefensible for Embid who hasn't even approached his prime. I take Zion because he has a high BBIQ, doesn't take plays off on either end, can score on all three levels and defend multiple positions. Both have injury concerns that cancel each other out.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#37 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:17 am

Lou_23 wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Embiid's just a big guy, he doesn't have anything special about him besides his height.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

lol dont know if trolling or serious.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,290

Post#38 » by Hoop Hunter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Both have serious health concerns for the future. If they both were to stay healthy, I'd take Zion. Of course no one can predict future health.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#39 » by NY 567 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:49 pm

Zion doesn't project to be a good defense player or floor spacer. Zion might be a slightly better offensive player, but Embiid is considerably better on D, so I'd go with him. Zion is an interesting player, a 6'6 post player and rim roller in this era is very unusual to say the least, but I still think Embiid is going to be better.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#40 » by Snotbubbles » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:37 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:Embiid’s obviously the better player right now, but if you’re asking who has more potential, who’s the better asset, who you’d rather have for the next 6 years I’m taking Zion for sure. What he’s doing as a rookie matches up with the best rookies ever at 21, 22, 23 years old and he’s only 19. I wouldn’t trade him for anyone but Giannis or Doncic.

He's played 9 games. What exactly is he doing?

I just looked at Embiid's rookie year per 36 and almost every single statistical category favors Embiid.

Return to The General Board