ImageImageImage

Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves)

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Re: Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves) 

Post#781 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:09 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
So many memories watching both of them play. Congrats to both of them!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#782 » by HMFFL » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 am

Dennis Lin of The Athletic reports that the Padres and Red Sox have discussed a trade that would send Mookie Betts to San Diego.

Lin writes that the talks have focused on sending a "significant amount of prospect talent" to Boston in return for Betts, and the Red Sox would also receive outfielder Wil Myers. Christopher Smith of MassLive.com adds that there's legitimate interest from both clubs, but that a deal is unlikely at this time. The former MVP has been mentioned as a potential target for contenders all offseason with the Red Sox looking to clear salary, and the Padres have as much prospect capital to move as any team in baseball. The outfielder will make $27 million in 2020, and then is eligible for free agency in 2021.

RELATED: 

Wil Myers

, San Diego Padres

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jan 23, 2020, 7:22 PM ET

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#783 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:21 pm

D'backs trade for Marte.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#784 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:24 pm

We were talking about the possibility of trading for Starling Marte- Well, the price would indeed have been high as Arizona traded 2 quality 19 year old prospects for him - including Brennan Malone - who I still think the Braves should have picked last year with their 2nd 1st rounder. I think AZ got the better of the trade, because they have a lot of quality prospects - they could afford to trade 2, and they even still have a higher rated SS in their system than the one they traded. But Malone could be a real good one, so Pittsburg fans will just have to wait.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#785 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:22 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#786 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:24 am

I guess the odds increased that the Braves trade for Kris Bryant, because he lost his case with the Cubs - so they control him for 2 years before he's eligible for free agency.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#787 » by HMFFL » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:31 pm

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic said on MLB Network on Monday that a Mookie Betts trade "is going to happen," possibly on Monday or Tuesday.

This follows a Sunday report from the Boston Globe's Alex Speier, who wrote that a resolution on Betts' situation was imminent. Rosenthal notes that talks continued over the weekend and that there was a "good amount of momentum for the Dodgers." The Padres are also heavily involved, but that scenario is a bit more complicated because they'd reportedly prefer to have Wil Myers involved in the deal. Betts might not be alone in a trade, as it's possible David Price could be traded along with him. Buckle up, as it could be an interesting 24-48 hours.

RELATED: 

David Price

, Los Angeles Dodgers

, San Diego Padres

SOURCE: MLB Network on Twitter

Feb 3, 2020, 11:25 AM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#788 » by HMFFL » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:31 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
@ 70 years young

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#789 » by HMFFL » Wed Feb 5, 2020 3:44 am

ESPN's Jeff Passan confirms that the Dodgers are acquiring Mookie Betts and David Price from the Red Sox.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic adds that the Dodgers are sending starter Kenta Maeda to the Twins and that pitching prospect Brusdar Graterol will go from Minnesota to Boston. Los Angeles will move young outfielder Alex Verdugo to the Red Sox in what currently stands as a three-team, five-player swap. Joc Pederson is being sent to the Angels for infielder Luis Rengifo, though that is a seperate trade. Medicals are being exchanged, and this could all be made official by the end of the night Tuesday.

RELATED: 

David Price

, Kenta Maeda

, Alex Verdugo

, Minnesota Twins

, Los Angeles Dodgers

SOURCE: Jeff Passan on Twitter

Feb 4, 2020, 9:12 PM ET

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#790 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:38 pm

HMFFL wrote:ESPN's Jeff Passan confirms that the Dodgers are acquiring Mookie Betts and David Price from the Red Sox.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic adds that the Dodgers are sending starter Kenta Maeda to the Twins and that pitching prospect Brusdar Graterol will go from Minnesota to Boston. Los Angeles will move young outfielder Alex Verdugo to the Red Sox in what currently stands as a three-team, five-player swap. Joc Pederson is being sent to the Angels for infielder Luis Rengifo, though that is a seperate trade. Medicals are being exchanged, and this could all be made official by the end of the night Tuesday.

RELATED: 

David Price

, Kenta Maeda

, Alex Verdugo

, Minnesota Twins

, Los Angeles Dodgers

SOURCE: Jeff Passan on Twitter

Feb 4, 2020, 9:12 PM ET

So Boston gets a very good young OF prospect in Verdugo and a very good pitching prospect in Graterol for Betts. I mean... that'd normally be a good haul for a player, but Betts is one of the top few players in baseball and entering his prime. I think ya gotta get more for him than that. The Dodgers made a steal - because they have the money to do it. They give up Verdugo and Maeda. Maeda's no better than a 3rd starter - more like a 4th starter and 32 years old. Wow, they're looking ridiculously good for 2020.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#791 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Happy retirement Martin!! :beer:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#792 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:43 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Happy retirement Martin!! :beer:

Definition of a gamer. Whenever I saw him at the plate, it seemed like the intensity level of the game dialed up. Congrats to him. Seems like he'd be a natural to coach if he wants to.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#793 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:23 pm

^
I agree.
I hope he stays involved with MLB.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#794 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:54 am

Scott Soshnick of Variety reports that Alex Rodriguez and Jennifer Lopez have retained JPMorgan Chase to raise capital for a possible bid to buy the Mets.

Hedge fund titan Steve Cohen had a tentative agreement to buy a controlling interest of the Mets from the Wilpon family in December, but negotiations fell apart when Cohen tried to amend terms of the deal (he still owns an eight percent stake in the club). It's not clear how much of the team A-Rod and J-Lo are wanting to buy or what (if any) role A-Rod would aim to have, but, as Soshnick writes, they would need "deep-pocketed partners." Rodriguez's former teammate Derek Jeter, of course, is a minority owner and CEO of the division-rival Marlins.

SOURCE: Variety

Apr 20, 2020, 8:12 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#795 » by HMFFL » Mon May 18, 2020 8:54 am

Prince Fielder Could End Up Being MLB’s Highest Paid Player in 2020

The former Brewers, Tigers and Rangers slugger was forced to end his career in 2016 due to a neck injury. Formally retiring would have meant Fielder would forfeit his salary. Because his injury was deemed career-ending, Fielder and the Rangers simply agreed that he would no longer play and he was released by the team to avoid taking up a 40-man roster spot. This is the final year of the contract, and he’s owed $24 million. 

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/05/14/rangers-prince-fielder-contract-2020-salary?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_facebook_si&utm_campaign=sportsillustrated

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#796 » by HMFFL » Tue Jun 9, 2020 6:27 am

According to Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic, the MLBPA will reject MLB's latest return-to-play proposal.

The plan proposed by the league on Monday morning called for a 76-game regular season in which the players would get 75 percent of their prorated salaries. The union, meanwhile, continues to demand 100 percent prorated salary shares. Another (new) sticking point is that MLB wants all players to sign an “acknowledgment of risk” waiver that would absolve the league of responsibility should a player have complications related to COVID-19. The situation could change quickly, but for now it feels like the two parties have made very little progress toward a return-to-play agreement. One might even argue that they're moving backward.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 8, 2020, 7:46 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#797 » by HMFFL » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:47 pm

Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia reports that five Phillies players and three staff members at the team's spring training facility in Clearwater, FL have tested positive for COVID-19.

Salisbury adds that none of the eight infected have been hospitalized and the virus "appears to be under control in all of them." The Phillies have confirmed the report, adding that there are an additional 12 staff members and 20 players awaiting their test results (eight staff members have tested negative). This is the first known outbreak at a baseball team's facility, although realistically there are sure to be more, if there aren't already. It's a reminder that, even if MLB and the MLBPA bridge the gap on financial issues, there are major health hurdles in starting and completing a season.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Philadelphia

Jun 19, 2020, 9:32 AM ET

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#798 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:26 pm

HMFFL wrote:Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia reports that five Phillies players and three staff members at the team's spring training facility in Clearwater, FL have tested positive for COVID-19.

Salisbury adds that none of the eight infected have been hospitalized and the virus "appears to be under control in all of them." The Phillies have confirmed the report, adding that there are an additional 12 staff members and 20 players awaiting their test results (eight staff members have tested negative). This is the first known outbreak at a baseball team's facility, although realistically there are sure to be more, if there aren't already. It's a reminder that, even if MLB and the MLBPA bridge the gap on financial issues, there are major health hurdles in starting and completing a season.

Not good. Gotta find out what Philly did wrong - was it a lack of testing frequently enough, poor spacing, masks, people not follwing the rules, whatever - so we can learn from it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#799 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Ruzious wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Jim Salisbury of NBC Sports Philadelphia reports that five Phillies players and three staff members at the team's spring training facility in Clearwater, FL have tested positive for COVID-19.

Not good. Gotta find out what Philly did wrong - was it a lack of testing frequently enough, poor spacing, masks, people not follwing the rules, whatever - so we can learn from it.

Did Philly pass it on to Miami? Over the weekend, 12 Miami players and 2 Miami coaches tested positive. With all the precautions... it's still not working. If they can't fix it...? Jeebus, I hope they don't have to close down the season. At least bump elbows instead of doing hi 5's and fist bumps?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#800 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:33 pm

Joe Maddon did the kind of thing that another ex Cubs manager Dusty Baker got bashed for back in the day - but this is inexplicable given how smart I always figured Maddon to be - he had Shohei Ohtani throw 42 pitches in the second inning of the 2nd game he's pitched since coming back from TJ surgery - his 2nd game since 2018. And now they're giving Ohtani an MRi. How do you make a risk like that with such a talented young player - especially in a crazy season like this - not to mention his velocity was way down, so it was obvious he had a problem? I just don't get it. Hopefully, Ohtani's ok - mainly for Ohtani's sake - but also for Maddon's rep.

Return to Atlanta Braves