Sixers Fans: Goosfraba (it's gonna be ok)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Sixers Fans: Goosfraba (it's gonna be ok) 

Post#1 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:36 am

Haven't been able to post much lately... I last dropped in before the Grizzlies game to say the Sixers' 4-game losing streak would mark the low point of our season. 3 games later and I'm feeling slightly more confident in my prediction. Here are some reasons as to why I believe the Sixers are 'just fine', relatively speaking.

1) Our remaining SOS is the 2nd easiest in the league (average win% of .455). This should help build momentum heading into the playoffs. It also means our current record should be viewed in context; 51-win pace is closer to 53/54-win pace if weighted for schedule distribution.
2) Horford is finally playing the role of 6th man! I've been asking for this all season, and expect the adjustment to pay dividends. Apparently Brett Brown wanted this from the start, but mgmt wasn't keen on the idea after signing Al for $109 mil. Better late than never.
3) Richardson is our 3rd most impactful player (yes, above Tobias and Horford in my opinion). His absence was understated during the recent 4-game slide.
4) Burks/GR3 compliment the team better than Neto/Ennis did. Even ignoring fit, they're likely better players overall.
5) We knew there would be a learning curve for the "big 5" to build chemistry. They've only played 20 games together, so the chemistry factor should trend upward (health willing).
6) We've now beaten the Bucks, Lakers, Raptors, Nuggets, Celtics (x3), Clippers, Jazz, Heat and Pacers. A win against the Rockets in Philly on 3/31 would solidify Ws against every contender in the league. I think that holds weight in playoff discussion.
7) The optics of 5th place have magnified our perceived struggles. Our current win% would be good for 3rd place last season. More credit should be given to the Bucks/Raptors/Celtics/Heat rather than detracted from the Sixers.

My point isn't to convince anybody the Sixers are Championship-bound, but I do think it's foolish to count them out. "Of course you think that. You're a Sixers fan." Well sure, you got me, but I never flexed after our win streak to start the season. I never flexed after a comfortable Christmas win over the Bucks or a comfortable Embiid-less win over the Lakers. I just know the season is long, and that peaks/valleys are to be expected. At the end of the day no amount of RS success would satisfy my longing for this team... Only the playoffs can do that.

TLDR: "The Sixers don't stink. In fact, you stink."

Yours Truly,
GeorgeMarcus
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
fianchetto
Starter
And1: 2,997

Re: Sixers Fans: Goosfraba (it's gonna be ok) 

Post#2 » by fianchetto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:54 am

This takes me back to the drama with Lebron with the cavs during the RS. Sure, you've got no one like Lebron, but the point is drama is always magnified by the media and this board. Take away the drama and expectations and you have a solid 51-win pace team, a true contender in the east. If they can get a higher seed, that's a dangerous, dangerous squad come playoff time.
“If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?”
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:56 am

PS we're not trading Embiid unless he demands a trade, which he hasn't. Teams 'inquiring' about his availability doesn't mean he's on the market. Windy should stick to LeBron news.

fianchetto
Starter

Post#4 » by fianchetto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:10 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:PS we're not trading Embiid unless he demands a trade, which he hasn't. Teams 'inquiring' about his availability doesn't mean he's on the market. Windy should stick to LeBron news.

Just wondering, what's your take on the discrepancy between home/away? Any patterns?

Their shooting is pretty significantly better at home, a bigger difference than most. Could be a mental thing with the role players.

Their defense is also MUCH worse at home (102 def rtg vs 110). Don't know how to explain that one.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:27 am

fianchetto wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:PS we're not trading Embiid unless he demands a trade, which he hasn't. Teams 'inquiring' about his availability doesn't mean he's on the market. Windy should stick to LeBron news.

Just wondering, what's your take on the discrepancy between home/away? Any patterns?

Their shooting is pretty significantly better at home, a bigger difference than most. Could be a mental thing with the role players.

Their defense is also MUCH worse at home (102 def rtg vs 110). Don't know how to explain that one.

Wish I had an answer for you, but I don't really. My best guess is continuity. It's easier for teams with reliable structure to persist through adversity, and that consistency in approach just hasn't been there. More than anything that's what I want to see post All Star break now that everybody is healthy.

Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#6 » by Ill News » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:43 am

Sixers will definitely be a handful in the playoffs. Assuming none of the top East teams completely collapse, they'll probably face the Heat in round 1. That would be an amazing series.

I sure as hell hope the Celtics avoid them in the 1st round. The Sixers' size will kill them unless Tatum, Hayward, and Brown somehow go supernova in that series, since Kemba will struggle against them.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,931

Post#7 » by Mamba4Goat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:49 am

Once the SLU is adjusted to Korkmaz and the new guys get comfortable I think the little things that had been missing will fix themselves pretty much. There hasn't been much of the season worth sweating.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#8 » by Dr Aki » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:11 am

Goosfraba?
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,906

Post#9 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:12 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:3) Richardson is our 3rd most impactful player (yes, above Tobias and Horford in my opinion). His absence was understated during the recent 4-game slide.

WTF
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:26 am

Dr Aki wrote:Goosfraba?

Anger Management reference:

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:28 am

LipSkinMatter wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:3) Richardson is our 3rd most impactful player (yes, above Tobias and Horford in my opinion). His absence was understated during the recent 4-game slide.

WTF

I said what I said. As constructed, what J Rich brings to the team is more important.

LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,906

Post#12 » by LipSkinMatter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:29 am

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
LipSkinMatter wrote:

WTF

I said what I said. As constructed, what J Rich brings to the team is more important.

:crazy:
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:33 am

LipSkinMatter wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
LipSkinMatter wrote:

WTF

:crazy:

I get the vibe you were in the “Robert Covington isn’t good” class among Sixers fans. Box scores are deceiving.

Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,436

Post#14 » by Saint Lazarus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:34 am

fianchetto wrote:This takes me back to the drama with Lebron with the cavs during the RS. Sure, you've got no one like Lebron, but the point is drama is always magnified by the media and this board. Take away the drama and expectations and you have a solid 51-win pace team, a true contender in the east. If they can get a higher seed, that's a dangerous, dangerous squad come playoff time.

The 5th seed with no player that's been to 8 straight finals is a contender?
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by GeorgeMarcus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:44 am

Saint Lazarus wrote:
fianchetto wrote:This takes me back to the drama with Lebron with the cavs during the RS. Sure, you've got no one like Lebron, but the point is drama is always magnified by the media and this board. Take away the drama and expectations and you have a solid 51-win pace team, a true contender in the east. If they can get a higher seed, that's a dangerous, dangerous squad come playoff time.

This is the beginning of Embiid’s 8 straight Finals like it was for LeBron in 10-11. Hindsight is 20/20, and in my case so is foresight.

fianchetto
Starter

Post#16 » by fianchetto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:30 am

Saint Lazarus wrote:

My posts addresses seeding. Even without seeding I have no idea why you wouldn’t consider them a contender with their defence and their talent. That stuff is more telling for the playoffs than say, shooting.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,377

Post#17 » by durden_tyler » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:33 am

They are a team built for the playoffs. So yeah, Sixers just have to survive the regular season (drama included, but get enough Ws to get that homecourt advantage) and they are going to be fine (fine as in having a legit shot of bringing down the Bucks and other top ranked teams in the East.)
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#18 » by bondom34 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:42 am

The road woes still worry me some, but if Brown keeps the Embiid/Horford minutes reduced I'd feel better.

Ultimately matchups will be big for the top 6 in the east, just like the west.

I do actually kind of think Harris is underrated now though, he's been important IMO.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#19 » by dautjazz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:47 am

I just get a kick out of the Sixers tanking for like 5 years to be a 1st or 2nd round exit in the East, and have had a worse record each of the last 3 years. Has Embiid really improved all that much since his rookie year? His PER36 stats and advanced stats don't really make it seem so, and he turns 26 next month, so he's entering his prime soon. Don't get me wrong, he's very talented, but I don't see him really as a leader. Simmons is a little similar, came out of the gates strong, but his offensive game hasn't really progressed a whole lot. I just don't see this as a strong 1-2 punch, and to me a guard needs to help space the floor, not hurt spacing.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
fianchetto
Starter

Post#20 » by fianchetto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:48 am

bondom34 wrote:The road woes still worry me some, but if Brown keeps the Embiid/Horford minutes reduced I'd feel better.

Ultimately matchups will be big for the top 6 in the east, just like the west.

I do actually kind of think Harris is underrated now though, he's been important IMO.

If you ignore that contract and look at him as a role player yes but with that contract, he’s not underrated

Return to The General Board