ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 Mets Thread, p. 50

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,596

Re: Official 2019 Mets Thread, II, p. 337 

Post#961 » by Stannis » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:58 pm

What kind of late demands/requirements were the Wilpons making?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#962 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:42 am

Stannis wrote:What kind of late demands/requirements were the Wilpons making?

I caught a little of WFAN in the car today. From what I heard it was that the Wilpons insisted that Jeff maintain full operational control for the next 5 years and that, thereafter, he would get "a say" - whatever that means - in all future transactions. In other words, Jeff knows not what to do with his stinking life other than fck with our team. So Cohen, correcting IMO, say "Fck you! You're not taking my almost $3 billion and Jeff runs the team." I don't blame him. The Wilpons are taking a beating on social medial. Rob Manfred is, obviously, not happy. I expect him to step in and try and smooth this out. We'll see if that's even possible. One thing is for certain, the Wilpons are strapped for money.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#963 » by Stannis » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:07 pm

That was a sick deal for the Wilpons. You get billions of dollars and still get to be with the team for 5 years. What more do they want? It's like they are trying to sell the team to some sucker and still be the hnic.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#964 » by Stannis » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:38 pm

Apparently they are looking for another buyer?

I don't think they are going to get a bigger deal than Cohen's.
Free Palestine
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,526

Post#965 » by Lord Commander » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:27 pm

Stannis wrote:Apparently they are looking for another buyer?

Not only that, they won't find anyone to assume majority ownership while leaving Jeff in charge. So stupid...
Stannis
RealGM

Post#966 » by Stannis » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:28 pm

Wilpons basically:

I want you to buy 80% of the team and hold all the liability of a sports team, but I'm still the owner. Ok?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#967 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:34 pm

No big money person is going to just hand over their money to the Wilpons, of all people, and all them to continue to have control. They are out of their minds.
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#968 » by reub » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:16 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:

No big money person is going to just hand over their money to the Wilpons, of all people, and all them to continue to have control. They are out of their minds.

Madoff!
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,050

Post#969 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:22 am

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Madoff!

Madoff took their money. He didn't hand it over to them. Does the word Ponzi ring a bell?

I'm just here to frolic in the misery. Don't mind me.
:beer: RIP mags
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,050

Post#970 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Feb 8, 2020 1:24 am

If you believe that...I got a NL MLB franchise to sell you. Prime location.
:beer: RIP mags
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#971 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Feb 9, 2020 3:28 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:If you believe that...I got a NL MLB franchise to sell you. Prime location.

:lol: Who are you going to buy when you fail to win get to the WS this year?
POSTING POLICIES:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#972 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:44 am

So now the Wilpons are willing to sell the team outright with no preconditions. It's unclear whether there's anyone person or group of investors other than Cohen. I wonder if MLB got involved?

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-jeff-wilpon-fred-family-david-einhorn-steve-cohen-sale-20200208-pl7zc3j6rjcajb7d7mw4452zfe-story.html?__twitter_impression=true
POSTING POLICIES:
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#973 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:01 pm

Familia weight loss.
Botched selling of the team.
Botched hiring of the manager.
Delgado sign stealing due to notebooks.
Shirtless Thor.

What a fun offseason that was.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#974 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:57 am

POSTING POLICIES:
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#975 » by Barcs » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:09 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

I caught a little of WFAN in the car today. From what I heard it was that the Wilpons insisted that Jeff maintain full operational control for the next 5 years and that, thereafter, he would get "a say" - whatever that means - in all future transactions. In other words, Jeff knows not what to do with his stinking life other than fck with our team. So Cohen, correcting IMO, say "Fck you! You're not taking my almost $3 billion and Jeff runs the team." I don't blame him. The Wilpons are taking a beating on social medial. Rob Manfred is, obviously, not happy. I expect him to step in and try and smooth this out. We'll see if that's even possible. One thing is for certain, the Wilpons are strapped for money.

Yeah, that sounds very idiotic. Why sell the majority of the team and still mandate control for 5 years after? Ain't nobody got time for that.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#976 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:47 pm

Brodie wack for the twitter low blow to Wheeler.

And Stroman sounds like Burke/DSJ preseason.
Talking real greasy. They gotta win this year.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#977 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:57 pm

Barcs wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Yeah, that sounds very idiotic. Why sell the majority of the team and still mandate control for 5 years after? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Of course. Which is why are no preconditions anymore.
POSTING POLICIES:
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#978 » by Barcs » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:51 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Barcs wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Thank goodness. I wonder if there's a chance Cohen throws his hat back in the mix now, or if he's completely done. I think he's done, but maybe there's a glimmer of hope. Even Arod would be better than Wilpon, even though I'm not too keen on that idea.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#979 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:52 am

Barcs wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Barcs wrote:

Thank goodness. I wonder if there's a chance Cohen throws his hat back in the mix now, or if he's completely done. I think he's done, but maybe there's a glimmer of hope. Even Arod would be better than Wilpon.

I posted an OT thread on the former Yankee who is not interested in buying the Mets. Go check it out and let me know your thoughts.
POSTING POLICIES:
RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#980 » by 2010 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:49 am

Steve Cohen has not given up on buying the Mets, but sources close to the situation say he would want the team’s majority stake in cable network SNY to justify a new bid anywhere near the Wilpons’ $3 billion valuation.

The Wilpons own 65 percent of the cable network in partnership with Spectrum and Comcast. Banking sources tell The Post the network is valued between $850 million-$1 billion, with gross earnings near $150 million annually. Considering the Mets are thought to lose $50 million in an average year, the network would be hugely useful in any sale of the organization.

“Cohen wants SNY, and he wants it at fair value,” one banker familiar with the deal said. “The team loses $50 million a year in a good year, so he wants SNY’s revenue, and he might pay a small premium to never have to deal with Fred and Jeff [Wilpon] ever again.”

After being spurned by Cohen at the altar when the deal to purchase the Mets collapsed earlier in the month, the Wilpons are moving forward with the plan to sell the Mets in an auction, being conducted by the team’s longtime investment banker Allen & Co. However, attempting to determine how far along they are in that process results in a murky picture. The Wilpons’ displeasure with Cohen, and the beating they took from fans after the deal failed, have left very sour feelings.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/unrelenting-steve-cohen-lingers-over-mets-sale-wants-sny/

Spoiler:
HarthorneWingo wrote:...

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter

Return to New York Knicks