ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiggins and Warriors - get on the record.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Will the Warriors be a success with Wiggins next year (WCF or Chip)

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 103

wraith985
Sixth Man
And1: 1,160

Re: Wiggins and Warriors - get on the record. 

Post#81 » by wraith985 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:30 am

I don't think Wiggins will ever live up to his #1 overall billing, but I think he will be a solid player for the Warriors and I think Steph/Klay/Dray will keep him motivated. If the team stays healthy I think they will contend and I think Wiggins will fit in well.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#82 » by Coxy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:03 am

vagelis wrote:Highlights from Wiggins defense in his Warriors debut

He looked engaged in this game, but I also want to add that Lebron looked tired and disinterested. I think lebron needs the all star break. The Kobe thing and the season looks to be wearing on him.
Bimbo_Coles
Pro Prospect
And1: 26

Post#83 » by Bimbo_Coles » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:26 pm

I think he will be a good piece of the puzzle for me. When you look at our recent teams, I could see him having Iguodala level value, but if you think he's going to replace KD that is unrealistic. His defense will be worse and slashing/scoring better than Iggy while being a similar threat from 3. But ultimately, That puts his value at like 18MM per year. So yes, he will be overpaid, but he'll still be a very valuable piece. I'd much rather that than a bad-fit DLO who would maybe be worth 22MM on the same contract.
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,294

Post#84 » by NeoWarriors » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:38 pm

Coxy wrote:
vagelis wrote:Highlights from Wiggins defense in his Warriors debut

He looked engaged in this game, but I also want to add that Lebron looked tired and disinterested. I think lebron needs the all star break. The Kobe thing and the season looks to be wearing on him.
I think father time has a hold of him as well...

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#85 » by Onus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:37 am

Wiggins is the real deal. I’m on the Wiggins hype train. We just need 1 more player than can defend 3s and 4s and can shoot. I’m down to trade our no 1 pick and use our tpe for gallo and their first and pick up Paul reed. With that I think we’re back playing in June.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#86 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:53 am

It would be good to see Steph and Klay play with Wiggins. To get a gauge on how they mesh or they don't.

On Saturday, Myers said he hasn't ruled out Klay playing this season.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#87 » by Little Digger » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:57 am

wco81 wrote:It would be good to see Steph and Klay play with Wiggins. To get a gauge on how they mesh or they don't.

No need for to see them altogether..At least for me.. ..Wiggins is a perfect fit
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 920

Post#88 » by dk1115 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:39 am

Curious to see everyone's opinion on what's improved/declined since Wiggins got here, given that it's been three games only. I can't lie. Over the past two years, I have seen less than a dozen Warrior games, but I still try to keep track of the box scores. I'm not so much interested in numbers, but what you guys see the difference is so far.
wco81
RealGM

Post#89 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:35 am

Now the other question is, if the Warriors could have traded for Aaron Gordon, do they do that deal instead of the Wiggins deal?

Actually there wouldn't be as attractive a draft pick coming back, so it's hard to make a like for like comparison but the main thing is who would fit better, Wiggins or Gordon?
Coxy
RealGM

Post#90 » by Coxy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 am

wco81 wrote:Now the other question is, if the Warriors could have traded for Aaron Gordon, do they do that deal instead of the Wiggins deal?

Actually there wouldn't be as attractive a draft pick coming back, so it's hard to make a like for like comparison but the main thing is who would fit better, Wiggins or Gordon?

I was a fan of Gordon, but he has gone downhill big time.
wco81
RealGM

Post#91 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:53 am

Certainly doesn't have the scoring ability of Wiggins but he would be better on the boards, guarding some bigger bodies and maybe blocking some shots.

But Wiggins and Gordon have the same 0.6 average block rate and Wiggins has slightly higher steal rate, 1.0 vs. 0.8.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#92 » by Coxy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:47 am

wco81 wrote:Certainly doesn't have the scoring ability of Wiggins but he would be better on the boards, guarding some bigger bodies and maybe blocking some shots.
But Wiggins and Gordon have the same 0.6 average block rate and Wiggins has slightly higher steal rate, 1.0 vs. 0.8.

Watching Gordon this year, it’s like he has lost all identity. He’s like what I think Paschall will be. Classic tweener that is athletic but does nothing above average, and is solely relying on small ball PF potential but can’t figure it out.

I once thought he could be a Shaun Marion type, but he just doesn’t seem to be able to find a niche. He seems like a great guy off court so I hope he turns the corner with a new team, because his time in Orlando is now uninspiring him.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#93 » by Upperclass » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:01 pm

Wiggins is a far superior NBA talent and offensive option compared to Gordon who's defense is elite. A strong finish to the season from Wiggins gives you a chance at Giannis .. Gordon could avg 30 ros in GS and it wouldnt move a needle towards a trade like that
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#94 » by whatisacenter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:46 pm

If the Warriors get the Wiggins we've seen so far in this small sample size I'm feeling pretty good about the trade. He has been far more active on defense that I thought we would see and he is showing he can be effective on offense without the ball in his hands. Again, small sample size but it has been much more fun watching this version of the team than the one with DSLo.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
BongBoyKlay
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#95 » by BongBoyKlay » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:59 pm

Coxy wrote:
wco81 wrote:Certainly doesn't have the scoring ability of Wiggins but he would be better on the boards, guarding some bigger bodies and maybe blocking some shots.

Watching Gordon this year, it’s like he has lost all identity. He’s like what I think Paschall will be. Classic tweener that is athletic but does nothing above average, and is solely relying on small ball PF potential but can’t figure it out.

I once thought he could be a Shaun Marion type, but he just doesn’t seem to be able to find a niche. He seems like a great guy off court so I hope he turns the corner with a new team, because his time in Orlando is now uninspiring him.

I agree Gordon has not looked good this year, but I think a lot of it has to do with the role he is in on Orlando. They often play him at the three with two other big men. They were starting two centers in Khem Birch and Vucevic with Gordon at the 3 for a while, which is just a terrible fit as none of them are knockdown shooters. Gordon should be playing the 4 as a rim running/slashing player in more of a motion offense. He would actually be a great fit as a piece in a Warriors death lineup next to Draymond, but I am happy with Wiggins so far. I have been a big fan of his since his high school days and used to watch a ton of those games, so I hope he gets a change of scenery soon.
BongBoyKlay
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#96 » by BongBoyKlay » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:03 pm

I think Wiggins' low steal and block rate are more due to his effort levels than his actual defensive talent. Him setting a new career-high in blocks last night and falling one steal short of his career-high in his first game against Lebron can't be a coincidence. Now the only question is if he can keep this effort level up because the talent is clearly there.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#97 » by FNQ » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:36 pm

floppymoose wrote:Wiggins and it's not particularly close. The data don't lie (in this case):
https://basketball-analytics.gitlab.io/rapm-data/season/2017-18/regular-season/
and
https://basketball-analytics.gitlab.io/rapm-data/season/2018-19/regular-season/
show Wiggins steady around -0.2 RAPM last two seasons, and Barnes around -1.0 RAPM.

And I think Wiggins has been playing better this year, so the gap may have widened.

Plus Wiggins is 3 years younger and is still at an age where improvement is likely. Barnes is in his prime season and likely isn't going up from here.

And not to mention that Barnes hasnt been shoehorned into a primary scoring role since his 1st year in Dallas. Wiggins has been on a team with less than stellar ball movement, and looks like a different player when there is some.

I dunno who will be better, but there's an upside factor that Wiggins has that Barnes does not.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#98 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:19 pm

In the context of a balanced defensive scheme....his defensive instincts and length will be highlighted. It just makes sense. You put KL on a bad defensive team....he's don't going to look that hot...and he's not going to bust his ass defensively on his man while the rest of the team plays crap defense.

So I'm on record...Wiggins will be much more effective defensively and efficient offensively BECUAUSE HE IS ON A WELL COACHED TEAM WITH TALENT/Vets.

All sort of makes sense doesn't it?
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#99 » by Onus » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:31 pm

I wish Wiggins rebounded better but I guess he’ll be playing the Iguodala role. We need someone to play Barnes role.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
wco81
RealGM

Post#100 » by wco81 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:25 pm

Getting Klay back will help, assuming he's fully healthy.

But he can't make the whole team defend better by himself. I'm scared to look at the team defense numbers but the FG and 3P% allowed must be very high.

They're going to need some other wing defenders.

Return to Golden State Warriors