Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I]

Moderators: PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, bwgood77, Dirk, Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus

Who are your top 3 bets for ROTY if Zion sits out season? (RESET)

Brandon Clarke
30
7%
PJ Washington
12
3%
Kendrick Nunn
68
17%
Ja Morant
161
40%
Darius Garland
3
1%
Coby White
11
3%
Rui Hachimura
13
3%
RJ Barrett
40
10%
De’Andre Hunter
8
2%
Tyler Herro
59
15%
 
Total votes: 405

BAMAFREAK
Junior
Posts: 406
And1: 646
Joined: Feb 27, 2017
   

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2181 » by BAMAFREAK » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:29 am

Ja just keeps leading this team to wins. They’ve been among the best teams in the league the last two months. Clarke went nuts as well.
Them boys gonna be dangerous in a year or two, well even this year honestly
Jurassic_Park
Senior
Posts: 649
And1: 546
Joined: May 27, 2015
 

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2182 » by Jurassic_Park » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:43 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:ROY is one of the worst, least predictive, and most meaningless awards, it was straight cringeworthy with how much emphasis some people put on it, like when Donovan Mitchell was wearing the shirts for it and stuff.

Like I said, Ja is fantastic, going to be a great player for a long time, he's just not the type of prospect that Zion is, I dunno why that makes people so angry.


Not sure about everyone else, but i win $15K if Ja wins ROY. And i agree, Zion still is the better prospect, but for this award, how its historically been given, and the number of games Zion missed, it would be crazy for him to get it.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,098
And1: 2,323
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2183 » by Whole Truth » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:48 am

Clarke - 27pts on 12/14 shooting in 23 mins, what's the odds he plastered all over the news tomorrow, slim to none?.

Ja - 20 / 9 / 5
Prospect Dong
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,959
And1: 535
Joined: Jun 04, 2008
Location: I come down like a hurricane

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2184 » by Prospect Dong » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:49 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Like I said, Ja is fantastic, going to be a great player for a long time, he's just not the type of prospect that Zion is, I dunno why that makes people so angry.


yeah I don't get the angst either. Hawks fans couldn't even enjoy Trae last year because they got so hung up in him winning over Luka.

I'm of the opinion that unless he's spectacular over the closing stretch and only misses a handful of games that I would give it to Ja who has been great as well and for much longer.

But I won't be mad if it goes to Zion. Voters get to decide for themselves what criteria they deem important.


Yeah, as a Grizzlies fan I think this is about right. Based on their play to date anyone would still take Zion over Ja, but there's a good case for an achievement award going to Ja. I can live with either outcome.
"Cleveland would be foolish to move Bennett right now. Plus, other organizations have not had the opportunity to watch this kid"

Mcfly
Dacost
Senior
Posts: 606
And1: 511
Joined: Feb 21, 2017

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2185 » by Dacost » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:11 am

JA and Zion remind me of the LeBron and DWade/Carmelo draft.

Zion has a chance to be one of the All time greats like LeBron.While JA could easily be a DWade type player with an amazing career aswell.
Prospect Dong
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,959
And1: 535
Joined: Jun 04, 2008
Location: I come down like a hurricane

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2186 » by Prospect Dong » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:13 am

Dacost wrote:JA and Zion remind me of the LeBron and DWade/Carmelo draft.

Zion has a chance to be one of the All time greats like LeBron.While JA could easily be a DWade type player with an amazing career aswell.


It's pretty rare to have a draft where the top two prospects pre-draft are drafted #1 and #2, and then go on to be clearly the top two rookies. Maybe 1999, with Brand and Francis (who won co-ROY) - and interestingly Francis is Ja's closest statistical comparison, according to the Ringer.
"Cleveland would be foolish to move Bennett right now. Plus, other organizations have not had the opportunity to watch this kid"

Mcfly
VanWest82
General Manager
Posts: 8,921
And1: 9,426
Joined: Dec 05, 2008

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2187 » by VanWest82 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:48 am

Brandon Clarke is somehow trailing Kendrick Nunn and Tyler Herro in this poll. We should all be ashamed of ourselves.
User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 37,163
And1: 8,539
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2188 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:49 am

Whole Truth wrote:Clarke - 27pts on 12/14 shooting in 23 mins, what's the odds he plastered all over the news tomorrow, slim to none?.

Ja - 20 / 9 / 5


I know this is some sort of weird stab at people hyping Zion, but Brandon Clarke has 3 20 point games all year and a bunch of single digit games throughout. If he dropped 20+ in 7 out of 9 games instead of 3 out of 47, he’d be getting closer to Zion level of love.

But we can pretend Zion has just one good game for dramatic effect.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,098
And1: 2,323
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2189 » by Whole Truth » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:25 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Clarke - 27pts on 12/14 shooting in 23 mins, what's the odds he plastered all over the news tomorrow, slim to none?.

Ja - 20 / 9 / 5


I know this is some sort of weird stab at people hyping Zion, but Brandon Clarke has 3 20 point games all year and a bunch of single digit games throughout. If he dropped 20+ in 7 out of 9 games instead of 3 out of 47, he’d be getting closer to Zion level of love.

But we can pretend Zion has just one good game for dramatic effect.


Weird stab, no. It's right through the heart of the hype. That's why you recognized it. Otherwise my post would just be factual.

Clarke is averaging 62/42/80 - 65 eFG% through 47 games. How many NBA players have averaged 60/40/80 over the course of a season? How many people are talking about a rookie doing it?.

We can also pretend 9 games is a sufficient sample size to crown Zion, best ever!.
Smirk
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,881
And1: 881
Joined: Jun 21, 2005
Location: New Orleans
   

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2190 » by Smirk » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:38 pm

We don't have to tear one player down to make our case for another.

Brandon Clarke has been really great. He is awesome.

Zion Williamson has been really great. He is awesome.

Objectively, Zion has been better. But, on the flipside, it is only for 9 games. If he does it for 35 then its pretty clear what we are dealing with here.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,098
And1: 2,323
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2191 » by Whole Truth » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:59 pm

Smirk wrote:We don't have to tear one player down to make our case for another.

Brandon Clarke has been really great. He is awesome.

Zion Williamson has been really great. He is awesome.

Objectively, Zion has been better. But, on the flipside, it is only for 9 games. If he does it for 35 then its pretty clear what we are dealing with here.


I like Zion both as a person & his game.

What I don't like is the excessive hype. ESPN basically declared him ROY without playing a game, which completely disrespects the players that have been playing for a half season.

I actually think if Zion stays healthy he could be the next Lebron. Skill combined with physical dominance.
Smirk
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,881
And1: 881
Joined: Jun 21, 2005
Location: New Orleans
   

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2192 » by Smirk » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm

No one should hold the hype that others generate against a player. I have never seen a player so humble, deflect so much attention to his teammates as Zion. He and Ja are also really really close friends.

If Zion continues like this it will be really really interesting. He will have had a "better" season, but is 35 games enough to be ROTY. Sort of a Brogdon/Embiid situation.
Que Rico
Ballboy
Posts: 28
And1: 21
Joined: Jun 17, 2019

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2193 » by Que Rico » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:11 pm

What I don't like is the excessive hype. ESPN basically declared him ROY without playing a game, which completely disrespects the players that have been playing for a half season.


Easy to correct.....don’t watch if you don’t like what they say.
Jurassic_Park
Senior
Posts: 649
And1: 546
Joined: May 27, 2015
 

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2194 » by Jurassic_Park » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:20 pm

Zion: 21/2/8 on 61.5% TS, and 30% USG - max games played this season 35 (there are 2 b2b's neither of which he will play)
Ja: 18/7/4 on 57% TS, and 26% USG - will play 76 games


MVP - we care about games played
DPOY - we care about games played
Rookie of the YEAR - games played doesn't matter, lets just award it to the best player even if he played in less than half the season, and will finish with a worse record than the frontrunner ROY candidate


but hey... sure.. lets give it to Zion. He is the chosen one afterall.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,255
And1: 4,097
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2195 » by Marcus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:05 pm

the time has finally arrived this season where we can be angry about rookies.


#deathandtaxes
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
Smirk
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,881
And1: 881
Joined: Jun 21, 2005
Location: New Orleans
   

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2196 » by Smirk » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:10 pm

Jurassic_Park wrote:lets just award it to the best player



Well...yeah. ???
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 40,718
And1: 47,183
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2197 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:04 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Smirk wrote:We don't have to tear one player down to make our case for another.

Brandon Clarke has been really great. He is awesome.

Zion Williamson has been really great. He is awesome.

Objectively, Zion has been better. But, on the flipside, it is only for 9 games. If he does it for 35 then its pretty clear what we are dealing with here.


I like Zion both as a person & his game.

What I don't like is the excessive hype. ESPN basically declared him ROY without playing a game, which completely disrespects the players that have been playing for a half season.

I actually think if Zion stays healthy he could be the next Lebron. Skill combined with physical dominance.


stop watching ESPN
#freepalestine
#BernieBro
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 9,255
And1: 4,097
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2198 » by Marcus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:10 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Smirk wrote:We don't have to tear one player down to make our case for another.

Brandon Clarke has been really great. He is awesome.

Zion Williamson has been really great. He is awesome.

Objectively, Zion has been better. But, on the flipside, it is only for 9 games. If he does it for 35 then its pretty clear what we are dealing with here.


I like Zion both as a person & his game.

What I don't like is the excessive hype. ESPN basically declared him ROY without playing a game, which completely disrespects the players that have been playing for a half season.

I actually think if Zion stays healthy he could be the next Lebron. Skill combined with physical dominance.


stop watching ESPN


I allow them to broadcast my games but I don't give credence to many opinions from that staff.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation
User avatar
ItsDanger
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,556
And1: 1,704
Joined: Nov 01, 2008

Re: Rookie Discussion [poll updated top 3] 

Post#2199 » by ItsDanger » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pm

ItsDanger wrote:I voted for Brandon Clarke just because I think he will have the most positive impact on his team.


You could see this guy would be an impact player early, especially off the bench. He makes winning plays. And now, they're 2 games above .500 and maybe even playoff bound.
Its all Garbo's fault!
Jurassic_Park
Senior
Posts: 649
And1: 546
Joined: May 27, 2015
 

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2200 » by Jurassic_Park » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:38 pm

Smirk wrote:
Jurassic_Park wrote:lets just award it to the best player



Well...yeah. ???


right so by that logic, lebron would have 9 mvps.. same with Jordan. Too bad awards don't work like that.

and next year if Giannis only plays 20 games, you better be posting that he should be the mvp

Return to The General Board