Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: The truth was way worse

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: The truth was way worse 

Post#1 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:10 pm

“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,494

Re: Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: 

Post#2 » by Capn'O » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:26 pm

Curry seemed like a nice guy that made some not so great decisions that blew up in the worst way for him. Good to hear he's cleaned up most of that and he's very lucky his wife stayed. He didn't know how to keep problematic people away from him. I've always had some empathy for him as a person because I heard many of the backstories already... but this is the line that sticks out to me.

Thinking back on it now, I honestly didn’t even want to play basketball as a kid.

It was so obvious. He just didn't really love the game. And there's nothing wrong with that but it's too bad that's what he ended up doing.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#3 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:27 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/eddy-curry-nba-the-truth-was-way-worse

Damn, good read. Pretty crazy stuff.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app

I feel like you posted this for me to read, so thanks ClipsFan.

But Eddy Curry I have no jokes against your weight... the joke is what the Knicks surrendered in order to trade for you.
MeestR
Analyst
And1: 429

Post#4 » by MeestR » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:35 pm

good post.

Puts life in perspective.

Thank you.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Re: Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: "The truth was way worse" 

Post#5 » by Clay Davis » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:36 pm

Cool story, thanks for sharing. I wonder what he's up to now

Sent from my SM-A520W using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#6 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:37 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/eddy-curry-nba-the-truth-was-way-worse

But Eddy Curry I have no jokes against your weight... the joke is what the Knicks surrendered in order to trade for you.
My pleasure. I genuinely feel for him man. Shouldn't have a bunch of kids with a mistress, but still tragic. Losing a child is something I pray I never have to endure. Sometimes I look at my 18 month old and think to myself what id do if I let something happen to her. Also takes one hell of a woman in Patrice to take him back after all that stuff. She's the hero of this story as he says.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#7 » by shakes0 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:38 pm

Scott Skiles still has the greatest Eddy Curry line ever.

post game reporter: Coach, what does Curry have to do to rebound better?

Skiles: Jump.
MindState
Veteran
And1: 3,467

Post#8 » by MindState » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:40 pm

Crazy good read.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#9 » by GTR11 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Happy for the fact he ended up with a great wife that had his back no matter what.
KokoKaizer
Sixth Man
And1: 2,153

Post#10 » by KokoKaizer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:49 pm

As always with Player's Tribune, great read ! Thanks for sharing!
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,488

Post#11 » by Jazz9 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:55 pm

I have no idea how his wife was able to endure all that.
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,621

Post#12 » by DoubleLintendre » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:56 pm

Excellent read. The style of writing made took a minute to get accustomed to. Great content and insight from his POV.

Stuff like this makes you look at "lazy"players, and the trash clickbait lists they appear in, differently.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#13 » by Forte IV » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Shows that none of us know whats really going on in anyones lives
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: "The truth was way worse" 

Post#14 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:09 pm

daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Post#15 » by daswunderboy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:28 pm

That's tough. The stuff with the murder is obviously the worst, but the agent stuff seems so common and awful as well. There was a hockey player recently whose parents did the same thing, took out loans and bought luxury houses in his name, and he had to pay it back over years and years. That's why you sign with the Klutch and World Wide Wes's of the world, that's why you use financial advisors who work for the big banks that will protect your money from some greedy ****. You really can't trust anyone.
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#16 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:29 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:

My pleasure. I genuinely feel for him man. Shouldn't have a bunch of kids with a mistress, but still tragic. Losing a child is something I pray I never have to endure. Sometimes I look at my 18 month old and think to myself what id do if I let something happen to her. Also takes one hell of a woman in Patrice to take him back after all that stuff. She's the hero of this story as he says.

I was only like 13 when the Knicks traded for Curry... but I just pulled this up which I wasn't really aware of until now :

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/404357-the-unfortunate-tale-of-eddy-curry

On March 30, 2005, during a game against the Memphis Grizzlies, Curry complained of chest pains and feeling lightheaded, both of which are serious symptoms of a heart arrhythmia.

While Curry’s troubling symptoms seemed to come out of nowhere on that night, the Chicago Bulls organization had heard Curry complain of these same symptoms before.

During conditioning drills at Bulls training camp before the start of the 2004-05 season, Curry was taken to the hospital after again complaining of chest pains and feeling lightheaded.

However, at that time, doctors could find no explanation for Curry’s symptoms.

As far as Bulls GM John Paxson was concerned, both incidents were red flags that something may have been wrong with the team’s emerging star.

Rather than have Curry play, and possibly risk another episode, the team decided to bench Curry for the remainder of the season and throughout the Bulls' first-round playoff loss to the Washington Wizards.

In what became one of the most controversial sports stories of its day, the Eddy Curry heart condition saga had many people on both sides of the argument.

That off-season, Curry was a restricted free-agent, only 22 years old, and coming off an impressive fourth season in the NBA, which saw him average 16.3 ppg and 5.3 rpg.

The Bulls wanted him to take a DNA test to see whether or not he was predisposed to a heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which is essentially the thickening of the heart muscle that has been known to lead to sudden death, especially amongst young athletes.

This same condition was responsible for the tragic deaths of former basketball players Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis, both of whom collapsed on the court while playing and died.

The stories of Gathers and Lewis helped to publicize the seriousness of this potentially fatal condition.

Because of the severity of this condition, the Bulls didn’t want to take any chances with Curry and risk another tragedy on the court.

Looking at the situation from Curry’s perspective, he felt he was healthy and had been cleared by doctors to play, so he declined to take the test, citing medical and ethical reasons.

The situation was a stalemate, as both sides refused to budge to the other's demands.

Eventually, the Bulls pulled off a sign-and-trade with the New York Knicks, which ended the dispute and gave a promising young Curry a fresh start in the biggest basketball market.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,953

Post#17 » by Liam_Gallagher » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:31 pm

I never understood how some players spend endless amounts of money on useless things but it starts to make more sense once I read some of these Player Tribunes. I mean these guys grow up with nothing, in low-income neighborhoods. It's almost a miracle IF they don't blow their money based on how they were brought up.

Glad Curry turned his life around and realized what true happiness is.
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,691

Post#18 » by GameOver25 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:39 pm

That was an excellent read. Thanks for sharing!
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#19 » by Dave DaButcher » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:45 pm

Thanks so much for sharing. As a Knicks fan, I cop to participating in my fair share of Eddy Curry jokes over the years. But I had no idea what the young man was going through.

His story touched me, and going forward, I will try harder to separate the player from the person, and be more empathetic when life "gets in the way" of performance on the court.

Despite everything, as he himself acknowledges, he is blessed to have a wife like Patrice and loving children. So, following many tragedies and setbacks, it's great to see that he is on his way to securing a happy ending to his story.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,330

Post#20 » by HoopsterJones » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Good read. You never know what’s somebody going through.

I used to work at the Best Buy close by the Berto Center where the Bulls used to practice and workout. Eddy and Tyson Chandler came in on occasion and talked about what the new hot games were. They would even play on our displays against random kids in the store, which was funny to me to see 7 ft ballers play Mario Kart against elementary school kids. I even sold him a flight stick controller for his PC. He loved flight sim games. Generally he was a nice dude, but a bit shy. He was still a big kid back then. It was tough to hear all the bad stuff about him after he left the Bulls.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:

Return to The General Board