ImageImage

2020 Pre-Draft Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Re: 2020 Draft Discussion 

Post#261 » by Rays Pompadour » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Carey will need to develop a right hand game (way too left handed) and a mid-range game off the bounce. He's also a novice defensively. Too handsy, doesn't move his feet well. Because he's a below-the-rim prospect, Carey will need to grow his game as a power forward type with quick feet and a technical approach to offense. He has size and good IQ, plus a soft touch.

Carey is a mid-round pick with G-league in his first season future. But he has to come out. The field is too weak to not to.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,134

Post#262 » by Snidely FC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Mike Schmitz, ESPN+ (formerly of DraftExpress) recently spent 5 days scouting Deni Avdija in Israel, some highlights:
The 19-year-old forward is playing a key role for Maccabi Tel Aviv in the EuroLeague, and he has a real chance to end up as the best player in this class.

"He has great size and a good feel for the game," said former No. 2 pick Derrick Williams, who recently guarded Avdija. "There are players all over the world who are talented, but what really sets Deni apart is his confidence and basketball IQ."

Over his past 10 games, Avdija has posted per-40-minute marks of 18.1 points, 8.1 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.8 turnovers, 1.1 steals and 0.7 blocks, while shooting 65% from 2 and 42% from 3. In his last two EuroLeague contests (both wins), he's averaged 12 points, six rebounds, and three assists in 23 minutes.

Avdija is a multipositional player who can defend several spots and function on or off the ball. His size and improved defense play a huge role in his coveted versatility. He is now approaching 6-foot-10 in shoes, weighing 225 pounds.

He has become a verticality artist in the Israeli League, with the ability to attack defensive boards and push tempo. He can create in transition, catch and shoot or operate out of the post, and he's even playing some backup point guard due to Maccabi's injuries.

"EuroLeague has a higher level of importance per regular season game (than the NBA)," Amar'e Stoudemire, now Avdija's teammate, told ESPN. "I'm very impressed with the way he works. I've been around young players -- he has the best attitude toward working and training."

Avdija holds arguably the best combination of floor and ceiling. At the very worst, he's a big combo forward who can make an open 3, defend his position, move off the ball and make the right play.

I've seen enough glimpses of pull-up 3s and pick-and-roll shot-creation in junior competition to wonder whether he could become the primary ball handler in the right system.

I would take both Ball and Edwards ahead of Avdija if the draft were today. But the gap is a lot smaller than it previously appeared.

(btw Jonathan Givony mock draft for ESPN+ last month had us taking Avdija at 5)
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,733

Post#263 » by Diop » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Mike Schmitz, ESPN+ (formerly of DraftExpress) recently spent 5 days scouting Deni Avdija in Israel, some highlights:
The 19-year-old forward is playing a key role for Maccabi Tel Aviv in the EuroLeague, and he has a real chance to end up as the best player in this class.

"He has great size and a good feel for the game," said former No. 2 pick Derrick Williams, who recently guarded Avdija. "There are players all over the world who are talented, but what really sets Deni apart is his confidence and basketball IQ."

Over his past 10 games, Avdija has posted per-40-minute marks of 18.1 points, 8.1 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 1.8 turnovers, 1.1 steals and 0.7 blocks, while shooting 65% from 2 and 42% from 3. In his last two EuroLeague contests (both wins), he's averaged 12 points, six rebounds, and three assists in 23 minutes.

Avdija is a multipositional player who can defend several spots and function on or off the ball. His size and improved defense play a huge role in his coveted versatility. He is now approaching 6-foot-10 in shoes, weighing 225 pounds.

He has become a verticality artist in the Israeli League, with the ability to attack defensive boards and push tempo. He can create in transition, catch and shoot or operate out of the post, and he's even playing some backup point guard due to Maccabi's injuries.

"EuroLeague has a higher level of importance per regular season game (than the NBA)," Amar'e Stoudemire, now Avdija's teammate, told ESPN. "I'm very impressed with the way he works. I've been around young players -- he has the best attitude toward working and training."

Avdija holds arguably the best combination of floor and ceiling. At the very worst, he's a big combo forward who can make an open 3, defend his position, move off the ball and make the right play.

I've seen enough glimpses of pull-up 3s and pick-and-roll shot-creation in junior competition to wonder whether he could become the primary ball handler in the right system.

I would take both Ball and Edwards ahead of Avdija if the draft were today. But the gap is a lot smaller than it previously appeared.

(btw Jonathan Givony mock draft for ESPN+ last month had us taking Avdija at 5)

Gotta admit, he sounds very intriguing. I love a player who is already showing smarts
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#264 » by UNCNYC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Mike Schmitz, ESPN+ (formerly of DraftExpress) recently spent 5 days scouting Deni Avdija in Israel, some highlights:

I thought I included him in my depth chart but forgot too. I have been a fan of his game for a few months now.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#265 » by UNCNYC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:56 pm

Thanks to Chellis Lamar Stevens has become my FAVORITE player in this upcoming draft. I am considering him for our FIRST pick.

I have him right behind KILLIAN HAYES at the moment for our first. I doubt I would take anyone over HAYES tho
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#266 » by Soul Rebel » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:07 pm

UNCNYC wrote:Thanks to Chellis Lamar Stevens has become my FAVORITE player in this upcoming draft. I am considering him for our FIRST pick.

I have him right behind KILLIAN HAYES at the moment for our first. I doubt I would take anyone over HAYES tho

Not trying to bag on your choices, but do you really want to add another combo forward with probably a top-6 pick? I know this draft is kinda "meh" but a guy that isn't sniffing the lottery yet for our top pick at a position where the cupboard is loaded.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,216

Post#267 » by amcoolio » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:46 pm

2nd rounders being exaggerated aside, I like the name Killian and if we had a boy it might have come to pass. But we had two girls
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Post#268 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:51 pm

Advijas FT percentage is around 50%. That has to improve dramatically.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
bravor
Starter
And1: 733

Post#269 » by bravor » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:36 pm

The only Killian i would draft is Tillie in the second round (and hopefully with Boston pick if he slides that low).

Hayes will need some time to improve his 3 pointer and as much as i like him (raised here, and we had the chance to seen him play in our league) i dont think he is nba ready before couple of years. I dont think Charlotte will draft him and honnestly i wish him to get in a "prospect friendly" environnement. Memphis would be perfect for him imo.
He is seen as pg but he is more of a combo guard (think G. Hill with clutch gens, something like that) knowing he is very turnover prone. But he has a hell of a potential, probably the highest with Ayayi, Diabate, Batcho and Wembanyama among our young prospects (maybe Dieng too)..

Tillie would be a nice gamble as if he remains healthy he can be a two ways version of Kaminsky (at least he can defend, even though he is still too soft to my taste). But he could have some nice trade value pretty fast.

Anyway, i hope there wont be french prospect for next Hornets draft if Batum is still with the team. He is not really the best exemple for them to develop (even though he did fine with Portland, but at that time he had Mc Millan and above all Monty Williams that was kicking his butt to improve) and get some minutes to prove themselves.

As for Advija, what he has to improve is his defense. If you cringed at Kaminsky, i doubt you would be pleased to see him miss some assignements. But he is a hell of a offense player (very elegant shooter, pretty fast in decision making etc). He is really nice to see on the court in offense. But i dont think it can be in a winning team unless his offense remains elite to compensate what he leaves on the other end.
Well. By defense i mean play offs defense. obviously when half of this league is blatantly tanking, it's not like he could not see the court in the RS because of it
CatgutStitches
Junior
And1: 262

Post#270 » by CatgutStitches » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:Thanks to Chellis Lamar Stevens has become my FAVORITE player in this upcoming draft. I am considering him for our FIRST pick.

Not trying to bag on your choices, but do you really want to add another combo forward with probably a top-6 pick? I know this draft is kinda "meh" but a guy that isn't sniffing the lottery yet for our top pick at a position where the cupboard is loaded.

:lol: It's really best if you don't put too much thought into his draft boards
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#271 » by UNCNYC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:58 am

CatgutStitches wrote:
Soul Rebel wrote:

:lol: It's really best if you don't put too much thought into his draft boards

Lol, welp although we drafted two or three forwards over the past few years imo we are still thin there .

Killian Hayes is NOT a forward. He is a combo of 3 positions. PG, SG and SF. He has loads of star potential.

Lamar Stevens is a guy who (I doubt I would take with our first) but who could be a guy you truly regret passing on. Only thing he seems to lack is a solid jumper but the one he currently has isn't bad. He plays with passion, grit, and has a lowkey poormans richness about him. In other words a hidden gem.

There are a lot of players teams are going to regret passing on in this draft. This draft has been tough so far as far as who we should take imo. Players I LOVE are

PG - Zagars
SG - Killian Hayes, Ty-Shon Alexander , Tom Digbeu , James Bouknight, A.J. Reeves, Gabe Kalscheur, John Petty
SF - Lamar Stevens, C.J. Elleby
PF - Onyeka Okongwu , Amar Sylla , Kai Jones
C - Jericho Simms, Daniel Oturu, Zeke Nnaji, Will Baker, Neemias Queta, Ikey Obiagu
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#272 » by UNCNYC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:14 pm

Hey guys since I will be spending time with most of your girl crushes this Valentines Day haha to make up for it I decided to give a depth chart. I am doing so because I left out a few names in my recent one. There are many more I will be adding. These are just the ones I like at the moment. Of course there are some higher coveted players not added yet but will be soon.

POINT GUARDS -

PG - RATED A
Arturs Zagars
Cole Anthony
Kira Lewis Jr.

PG - RATED B

PG - RATED C

-----
SHOOTING GUARDS -

SG - RATED A
Killian Hayes
Josh Green
LaMelo Ball
Ty-Shon Alexander
Tom Digbeu
James Bouknight
Aaron Nesmith

SG - RATED B
Jahmi’us Ramsey
Malcolm Cazalon
Bryan Antoine
A.J. Reeves
Gabe Kalscheur
Joshua Obeisie
Ayo Dosunmu
Justin Turner
Chris Ledlum
Kellan Grady
Quentin Grimes
Samuell Williamson
John Petty

SG - RATED C
Tyler Bey
A.J Lawson
Isaiah Joe
Sam Cunliffe

-----
SMALL FORWARDS -

SF - RATED A
Precious Achiuwa
Jordan Nwora
Deni Avdija
Mario Nakic
Lamar Stevens
C.J. Elleby
Aaron Wiggins
Trendon Watford
Johnny Juzang
Georgios Kalaitzakis
Emmitt Matthews Jr.
Jeremiah Davenport

SF - RATED B

SF - RATED C

-----
POWER FORWARDS -

PF - RATED A
Obi Toppin
Onyeka Okongwu
Amar Sylla
Filip Petrusev
Kai Jones

PF - RATED B

PF - RATED C

-----
CENTERS -

C - RATED A
Jericho Simms
Daniel Oturu
Zeke Nnaji
Will Baker
Neemias Queta
Charles Bassey
Ikey Obiagu
Javin DeLaurier
Kerry Blackshear Jr.

C - RATED B

C - RATED C
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,134

Post#273 » by Snidely FC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:41 pm

Tyrese Haliburton broke his wrist and is out for the season
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#274 » by UNCNYC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Tyrese Haliburton broke his wrist and is out for the season

I was JUST ABOUT TO SAY I FORGOT TO ADD HIM smh
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#275 » by UNCNYC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:45 pm

Hey guys last update for a bit but I made some adjustments. I like a few players on this list. Guys like Isaih Joe, Killian Hayes, Turner and Wadford.

POINT GUARDS -

PG - RATED A
Arturs Zagars - As talented as Justin Beiber on allstar friday night celebrity
Cole Anthony
Kira Lewis Jr.

PG - RATED B

PG - RATED C

-----
SHOOTING GUARDS -

SG - RATED A
Killian Hayes - Star potential
Josh Green
LaMelo Ball - 2 be or not 2 be that is the ?
Tyrese Haliburton
James Bouknight -
Ty-Shon Alexander - Reminds me of a coach
Tom Digbeu
A.J. Reeves - Stud
Isaiah Joe - reminds me of Beal or Ray allen

SG - RATED B
Malcolm Cazalon - Reminds me of Batum but wit a couple more bucks
A.J Lawson
Ayo Dosunmu
John Petty - Fun player to root for
Aaron Nesmith
Justin Turner - He is a weapon
Quentin Grimes
Bryan Antoine
Gabe Kalscheur - Steph Curry with an attempt
Joshua Obeisie

SG - RATED C
Chris Ledlum
Jahmi’us Ramsey
Kellan Grady
Samuell Williamson
Tyler Bey
Sam Cunliffe

-----
SMALL FORWARDS -

SF - RATED A
Precious Achiuwa
Jordan Nwora - Could have a long NBA career
Deni Avdija
Mario Nakic - Could be an autograph signer
Aaron Wiggins - A 5 man roster filler
Lamar Stevens
C.J. Elleby
Johnny Juzang
Georgios Kalaitzakis
Emmitt Matthews Jr.
Jeremiah Davenport

SF - RATED B

SF - RATED C

-----
POWER FORWARDS -

PF - RATED A
Obi Toppin
Trendon Watford - A star without star potential
Onyeka Okongwu
Amar Sylla
Filip Petrusev
Kai Jones - Chris Bosh

PF - RATED B

PF - RATED C

-----
CENTERS -

C - RATED A
Jericho Simms - Worth a chance
Daniel Oturu - In the discussion
Zeke Nnaji
Will Baker
Neemias Queta
Charles Bassey
Ikey Obiagu - Defense, Defense, Defense
Javin DeLaurier
Kerry Blackshear Jr.

C - RATED B

C - RATED C
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#276 » by Soul Rebel » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:02 pm

UNCNYC wrote:Hey guys last update for a bit but I made some adjustments. I like a few players on this list. Guys like Isaih Joe, Killian Hayes, Turner and Wadford.

POINT GUARDS -

PG - RATED A
Cole Anthony
Kira Lewis Jr.

PG - RATED B

PG - RATED C

-----
SHOOTING GUARDS -

SG - RATED A
Josh Green
Tyrese Haliburton
James Bouknight -
Tom Digbeu
A.J. Reeves - Stud

SG - RATED B
A.J Lawson
Ayo Dosunmu
Aaron Nesmith
Quentin Grimes
Bryan Antoine
Joshua Obeisie

SG - RATED C
Chris Ledlum
Jahmi’us Ramsey
Kellan Grady
Samuell Williamson
Tyler Bey
Sam Cunliffe

-----
SMALL FORWARDS -

SF - RATED A
Precious Achiuwa
Deni Avdija
Lamar Stevens
C.J. Elleby
Johnny Juzang
Georgios Kalaitzakis
Emmitt Matthews Jr.
Jeremiah Davenport

SF - RATED B

SF - RATED C

-----
POWER FORWARDS -

PF - RATED A
Obi Toppin
Onyeka Okongwu
Amar Sylla
Filip Petrusev
Kai Jones - Chris Bosh

PF - RATED B

PF - RATED C

-----
CENTERS -

C - RATED A
Zeke Nnaji
Will Baker
Neemias Queta
Charles Bassey
Javin DeLaurier
Kerry Blackshear Jr.

C - RATED B

C - RATED C

Still not understanding how a guy that is slated to go top-6 and fits a need for us in Wiseman doesn't make your list......anywhere. And oh yeah, some guy that's supposed to go #1 named Anthony Edwards.
:noway:
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#277 » by UNCNYC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:06 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:
UNCNYC wrote:Hey guys last update for a bit but I made some adjustments. I like a few players on this list. Guys like Isaih Joe, Killian Hayes, Turner and Wadford.

POINT GUARDS -

PG - RATED A
Cole Anthony
Kira Lewis Jr.

PG - RATED B

PG - RATED C

-----
SHOOTING GUARDS -

SG - RATED A
Josh Green
Tyrese Haliburton
James Bouknight -
Tom Digbeu
A.J. Reeves - Stud

SG - RATED B
A.J Lawson
Ayo Dosunmu
Aaron Nesmith
Quentin Grimes
Bryan Antoine
Joshua Obeisie

SG - RATED C
Chris Ledlum
Jahmi’us Ramsey
Kellan Grady
Samuell Williamson
Tyler Bey
Sam Cunliffe

-----
SMALL FORWARDS -

SF - RATED A
Precious Achiuwa
Deni Avdija
Lamar Stevens
C.J. Elleby
Johnny Juzang
Georgios Kalaitzakis
Emmitt Matthews Jr.
Jeremiah Davenport

SF - RATED B

SF - RATED C

-----
POWER FORWARDS -

PF - RATED A
Obi Toppin
Onyeka Okongwu
Amar Sylla
Filip Petrusev
Kai Jones - Chris Bosh

PF - RATED B

PF - RATED C

-----
CENTERS -

C - RATED A
Zeke Nnaji
Will Baker
Neemias Queta
Charles Bassey
Javin DeLaurier
Kerry Blackshear Jr.

C - RATED B

C - RATED C

Still not understanding how a guy that is slated to go top-6 and fits a need for us in Wiseman doesn't make your list......anywhere. And oh yeah, some guy that's supposed to go #1 named Anthony Edwards.
:noway:

I gotta get more film on them. When I first saw them I thought they were both overrated af
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#278 » by UNCNYC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:27 pm

I have changed my FAVORITE player in this draft. One thing about this draft is I never had that many FAVORITES before but this one MIGHT be the one. I really like Isaiah Joe A LOT. Dude reminds me so much of BEAL and RAY ALLEN. If there in the 2nd round we should consider him. He has had an injury lately but not sure if it is career changing.

;t=91s
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#279 » by UNCNYC » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:27 am

Ok since they are popular picks by the experts I decided to at least rate them now rather than later. I added in some of the big names like Wiseman, Carey and Edwards. I will make this my last depth chart until around march madness

B - RANKING PLAYERS

POINT GUARDS -

PG - RATED A
Arturs Zagars
Cole Anthony
Kira Lewis Jr.
Cassius WInston

PG - RATED B

PG - RATED C

-----
SHOOTING GUARDS -

SG - RATED A
Killian Hayes
Josh Green
LaMelo Ball
Tyrese Haliburton
James Bouknight
Ty-Shon Alexander
A.J. Reeves
Isaiah Joe
Anthony Edwards
Tom Digbeu

SG - RATED B
Malcolm Cazalon
A.J Lawson
Ayo Dosunmu
John Petty
Aaron Nesmith
Justin Turner
Quentin Grimes
Bryan Antoine
Gabe Kalscheur
Joshua Obeisie

SG - RATED C
Chris Ledlum
Jahmi’us Ramsey
Kellan Grady
Samuell Williamson
Tyler Bey
Sam Cunliffe

-----
SMALL FORWARDS -

SF - RATED A
Precious Achiuwa
Jordan Nwora
Deni Avdija
Mario Nakic
Aaron Wiggins
Lamar Stevens
C.J. Elleby
Johnny Juzang
Georgios Kalaitzakis
Emmitt Matthews Jr.
Jeremiah Davenport
Matthew Hurt

SF - RATED B

SF - RATED C

-----
POWER FORWARDS -

PF - RATED A
Obi Toppin
Trendon Watford
Onyeka Okongwu
Amar Sylla
Filip Petrusev
Kai Jones
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl

PF - RATED B

PF - RATED C

-----
CENTERS -

C - RATED A
James Wiseman
Jerico Simms
Daniel Oturu
Neemias Queta
Charles Bassey
Vernon Carey Jr
Zeke Nnaji
Will Baker
Ikey Obiagu
Derek Culver
Javin DeLaurier
Kerry Blackshear Jr.

C - RATED B

C - RATED C
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach

Post#280 » by UNCNYC » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 pm

The last few days are the first time in a while that I have researched this draft but if I had to do a TOP TEN rght now it would be

1. KILLIAN HAYES
2. Deni Avdija
3. Lamello Ball
4. Isaiah Joe
5. Trendon Watford
6. James Bouknight
7. Josh Green
8. Tyrese Haliburton
9. Jordan Nwora
10. Ty-Shon Alexander

Of course things can change but that is my top 10 best available in order as of right now.
UPDATED 2-18-2024

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman

Return to Charlotte Hornets