And1: 8,942

Game 54: Cleveland Cavaliers (13-40) vs. Atlanta Hawks (15-40) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#1 » by ducler » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Read on Twitter
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,983

Re: Game 54: Cleveland Cavaliers (13-40) vs. Atlanta Hawks (15-40) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:31 pm

Love's not playing tonight.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#3 » by gflem » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:28 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Love's not playing tonight.

Was hoping to see that sentence before the trade deadline. We should get a little better idea of how Drummond fits with tonight's game. What's the over/under on Thompson getting sent home like JR? I doubt we will see it but there is a chance.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,907

Post#4 » by tundraknight » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:49 am

Supposedly you can get tickets for tonight’s Tank Bowl for as low as $2.00
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,907

Post#5 » by tundraknight » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:54 am

gflem wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Love's not playing tonight.

Was hoping to see that sentence before the trade deadline. We should get a little better idea of how Drummond fits with tonight's game. What's the over/under on Thompson getting sent home like JR? I doubt we will see it but there is a chance.

Management seems too dumb.

TT is balling right now having a great first half to increase his trade value!! Oh wait..

TT likely has no future with the Cavs and he’s just there to help effect the Cavs win/loss record for the rest of this season.

The Cavaliers are desperate for a win and look to play with a ton of emotion and enthusiasm so they beat the mighty Hawks and pat themselves on the back..
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#6 » by Revenged25 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:32 am

Good game by the Cavs. Sure it's against another bottom team but shows promise to how this team could play, especially with Love out. I wonder since there are the rumors that Aaron Gordon was being shopped hard by the Magic if there is some way for us to swing a 3 team deal to bring in Gordon somehow while moving Love. It would fit the timeline better as he's only 24 y/o and would be on a good contract for 2 more years and would probably be a better fit for what we want for a PF going forward with a more uptempo offense.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:06 am

^ freak athlete but not very good at basketball at all. I doubt there is much interest here as there were no orgs open to returning anything Orlando would consider equal value.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:47 am

Revenged25 wrote:Good game by the Cavs. Sure it's against another bottom team but shows promise to how this team could play, especially with Love out. I wonder since there are the rumors that Aaron Gordon was being shopped hard by the Magic if there is some way for us to swing a 3 team deal to bring in Gordon somehow while moving Love. It would fit the timeline better as he's only 24 y/o and would be on a good contract for 2 more years and would probably be a better fit for what we want for a PF going forward with a more uptempo offense.

The Hawks are the worst defensive team in the NBA by a wide margin. Against even decent defensive teams, if you take away Love's spacing, you're not going to like the results.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#9 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:07 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:Good game by the Cavs. Sure it's against another bottom team but shows promise to how this team could play, especially with Love out. I wonder since there are the rumors that Aaron Gordon was being shopped hard by the Magic if there is some way for us to swing a 3 team deal to bring in Gordon somehow while moving Love. It would fit the timeline better as he's only 24 y/o and would be on a good contract for 2 more years and would probably be a better fit for what we want for a PF going forward with a more uptempo offense.

The Hawks are the worst defensive team in the NBA by a wide margin. Against even decent defensive teams, if you take away Love's spacing, you're not going to like the results.

It's always hard to quantify that because of the trade offs that come with Kevin's gravity. For instance, Larry contributed a lot of different ways .vs. the Hawks beyond his 2-5 from 3pt and somehow grabbed 12 rebounds while sharing the floor with Drummond and Thompson.

Anyway, we'll see how things shake out, but I think we actually have a front-court that kind of makes sense right now with guys playing roles they should be playing.

They just have to start figuring out how to continue moving the ball and executing on offense when not facing a bottom 5 defensive team AND bring the same defensive intensity when facing better offensive players.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#10 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Nah, that's still the Wizards with the Cavs just ahead of them, and then the Hawks. The Hawks are better defensively with Collins who was suspended for HGH, and should continue to improve with Dedmon and Capela ... but it just goes to show that when you give a bunch of minutes to a revolving door PG and a couple of rookies that really bad defense is going to result even if the two rookies have length and were supposed to be excellent defensive prospects.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:08 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

It's always hard to quantify that because of the trade offs that come with Kevin's gravity. For instance, Larry contributed a lot of different ways .vs. the Hawks beyond his 2-5 from 3pt and somehow grabbed 12 rebounds while sharing the floor with Drummond and Thompson.

Anyway, we'll see how things shake out, but I think we actually have a front-court that kind of makes sense right now with guys playing roles they should be playing.

They just have to start figuring out how to continue moving the ball and executing on offense when not facing a bottom 5 defensive team AND bring the same defensive intensity when facing better offensive players.

I still think the best game we played all season was against OKC with Love and Nance starting in the front court and Henson off the bench. It really opened up the floor for the younger guys. I think Drummond is going to be problematic enough with Sexton. If you want to start Nance at PF, and his 3p% is closer to this year than his career average, that could work. But if you're talking about trading for a guy like Gordon, we're going to see a lot of sagging into the paint and zone defenses. You can't really move bodies or the ball quickly enough to combat that.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#12 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:38 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I still think the best game we played all season was against OKC with Love and Nance starting in the front court and Henson off the bench. It really opened up the floor for the younger guys. I think Drummond is going to be problematic enough with Sexton. If you want to start Nance at PF, and his 3p% is closer to this year than his career average, that could work. But if you're talking about trading for a guy like Gordon, we're going to see a lot of sagging into the paint and zone defenses. You can't really move bodies or the ball quickly enough to combat that.

I thought they'd be focused on spacing the floor too, but I think either approach offers new playmaking opportunities for our PGs.

And Drummond does have quite a bit of gravity ... it's just of a different nature. The margin of error if you cheat off him to help against one of our wings is really small. So, we're going to need more interior passing and perhaps even the old Hedo to Dwight style put up on the glass and let AD throw it down style play. Albeit most players don't like to make that play because it hurts their FG%.

Drummond's FG% and rebounding numbers are also effected by how he gets his hands/fingers on so many shots and attempts putbacks from all sorts of odd angles knowing even if he misses, he'll probably be able to try again.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers