Re: Wolves Haven't Considered Firing Ryan Saunders

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Wolves Haven't Considered Firing Ryan Saunders 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:04 pm

Glen Taylor hasn't considered firing Ryan Saunders as head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves despite a disappointing season in which they had a 5-27 streak before the trade deadline.

Saunders is in the first season of his contract. 

“No, no, no, he is hired,” Taylor said. “A young guy and he is going to get better as time goes on and we just have to give him that time.”

Taylor believes Minnesota's deadline acquisitions are a better fit for the roster.

“[Saunders] is excited about this change that now he has guys that can play the kind of basketball he wants,” Taylor said. “He is really a believer in the three-point shot, moving the ball fast, and getting up and down the court. He needed some players that were better three-point shooters than what we had previously.”

Via Sid Hartman/Star Tribune

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#2 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:28 pm

It should really say Rosas got the players the he wanted for his system. Ryan just has to find plays that work for him.
And of course Saunders is going to stay. (Ryan has a multi year contract) And GT still has at least 1 more year on Thibs contract. He isn't going to want to pay 3 coaches.
WuriderX
Junior
And1: 403

Post#3 » by WuriderX » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:16 pm

There were better options out there. I wonder if they even bothered looking.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#4 » by RipCityKJ » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Needed 3 point shooting and gave up Covington?
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#5 » by Killboard » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:32 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:Needed 3 point shooting and gave up Covington?

Got Beasley back so it's a wash In that regard.
But they got Dlo for Wiggins. That's a good boost.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:08 pm

WuriderX wrote:There were better options out there. I wonder if they even bothered looking.

They hired the hottest coach on the market the last time, Thibs, and that didn’t turn out so well.

I think Saunders deserves time with his new roster and without Wiggins. Wiggins has virtually made success for any coach next to impossible.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
liquid_ja
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#7 » by liquid_ja » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:22 pm

The_Hater wrote:
WuriderX wrote:There were better options out there. I wonder if they even bothered looking.

They hired the hottest coach on the market the last time, Thibs, and that didn’t turn out so well.

I think Saunders deserves time with his new roster and without Wiggins. Wiggins has virtually made success for any coach next to impossible.

Try having success with a different manager every 7 months. Each requesting you do your job a different way, while learning how to do their own. Good luck having success.
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 78

Post#8 » by elmdawgg69 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:35 pm

The_Hater wrote:

Not sure why Taylor and others think hiring Thibs didn’t turn out well. He led the Wolves to the Playoffs and their best record since 2004 - best season in 15 years... second highest winning percentage for a coach in Wolves history in a matter of just 2 1/2 seasons after taking over a complete mess.

And how was he rewarded? By being fired 30 games into the next season while a #10 seed in a loaded West and dealing with drama between his two best All Star players because they were hooking up with the same broad.

Lil Saunders has come in and destroyed any sign of winning with a similar roster. Hoiberg did the same in Chicago after he took over for Thibs.

Towns and Wiggins were too soft. They can’t handle what it takes to win.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:06 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Not sure why Taylor and others think hiring Thibs didn’t turn out well. He led the Wolves to the Playoffs and their best record since 2004 - best season in 15 years... second highest winning percentage for a coach in Wolves history in a matter of just 2 1/2 seasons after taking over a complete mess.

And how was he rewarded? By being fired 30 games into the next season while a #10 seed in a loaded West and dealing with drama between his two best All Star players because they were hooking up with the same broad.

Lil Saunders has come in and destroyed any sign of winning with a similar roster. Hoiberg did the same in Chicago after he took over for Thibs.

Towns and Wiggins were too soft. They can’t handle what it takes to win.

Jimmy Butler led the Wolves to the playoffs. Wiggins didn’t progress at all, Towns and Wiggins didn’t play defense for him, which was supposed to be his thing, and then Butler wanted out of town 12 months after he showed up. As it turned out, Thibs defensive schemes were already outdated in a fast changing NBA.

They had a positive moment under Thibs, a playoff appearance, but the overall experience didn’t put the team in a better position going forward.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Re: Re: Wolves Haven't Considered Firing Ryan Saunders 

Post#10 » by nedleeds » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:49 pm

Should have been fired after the Kings game, post mortem nepotism at its finest.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,518

Post#11 » by shrink » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:19 pm

I’m not surprised so many people don’t know what goes on in Minnesota, but I am surprised by how strongly people will state positions when they don’t.

No, MIN went through a very extensive, and very publicized, search for both Gersson Rosas and Ryan Saunders. MIN was praised because it hasn’t always worked like that - they have made “country club” hires in the past, of people they are familiar with.

No, MIN used a search firm to come up with Tom Thibodeau too. He had some connections here (as a mullet-wearing assistant coach back in the ‘90’s), but he was the top candidate that year, just ahead of Van Gundy. Taylor wanted to get him so much that he acquiesced to Thib’s demands to be GM as well, after Thibs (correctly) felt like Garpax didn’t have his back.

No, Jimmy Butler is not responsible for all the wins in MIN. Basketball is a team game, where the accumulation of production needs to surpass your opponent. Towns wouldn’t have won without Butler, and Butler wouldn’t have won without Towns. If you really believe you can parse it out, Jimmy Butler was #20 in the NBA that season in Win Shares (8.9), while Towns was #2 in the NBA with 14.0, behind only James Harden.

No, Thibs wasn’t fired despite his success. He was fired for the same reason almost every coach gets fired .. his expensive players had stopped listening to him. His drill sergeant approach worked for only a few guys, with players like Jamaal Crawford and Jeff Teague publicly saying how much happier they were to be out from under Thibs. Thibs deserves praise for the Jimmy Butler trade and playoff success, but he also refused to listen to Butler over the summer about wanting to be traded (actually, he wanted to be paid A year early, even if it meant the Wolves waiving two thirds of their team), so Thibs shares responsibility for causing the disastrous blow up. Jimmy loves Thibs, but by torching that locker room, he effectively got Thibs fired too.

No, Ryan Saunders wasn’t hired for nepotism. The head coach decision was entirely Rosas’, who required it if he was going to accept the GM job. He and Saunders were acquainted, but he had no particular loyalty to him for nepotism (as Glen Taylor might). This was very public too. Saunders was hired because he projects as a good coach, and he had good relationships with many of the young Wolves players, several of them even in his recent wedding.

Finally, any analysis of Saunders win-loss record should also consider that the goal of this season is not wins. Rosas and Saunders are using this season to “install an offensive and defensive identity, and create a mechanism to develop talent.” They are establishing a 5-out offense, because that’s what they will run from now on, but they didn’t inherit the personnel to run that system. MIN is third in 3PA, but last in 3P%, and the players are instructed to keep throwing them up. Defensively, they want to run one ball handler, three wings, one center, and they will stick with this even against the worst match ups. They want the players to learn the system, for Rosas to evaluate how they would do in the future in that system. You can see by the roster turnover at the deadline that they felt they needed three point shooting immediately.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion