Is healthy Zion a better talent than healthy Embiid?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

better talent

Zion
38%
Embiid
62%

Total votes: 363

subbed sub
Senior
And1: 874

Re: Is healthy Zion a better talent than healthy Embiid? 

Post#41 » by subbed sub » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:06 pm

Zion is so overhyped on here. "Generational talent"... Please
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#42 » by Hipster Doofus » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:09 pm

Zach Randolph vs. Embiid?

I'll take Embiid.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#43 » by PaKii94 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:23 pm

I think overall talent/potential wise it's Embiid. However, I get more of the "IT" factor from Zion which players either have or don't. That game warping factor. Embiid has a decent amount but I don't think it's a high level. He can still be stopped. The "IT" factor can be developed a bit but I don't think it can be developed to a high level. So.... give me Zion but I am a big Embiid fan.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,333

Post#44 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:38 pm

Embiid has not improved at all in his 4 years in the league. He's a nimble, athletic giant with a decent defensive motor, which makes him automatically one one of the best defensive players in the NBA. On offense, despite the size/athleticism, mobility and feathery touch... he still has no idea how to attack a defense. He's a post player that shoots 46% from the floor (same number as his rookie season). He hasn't improved as a passer. He's a little more effective in the mid-post this year. He looks pretty clueless with the ball in his hands. When he's not athletically dominating people, or on fire, he looks like a giant baby deer... 4 years in! Show me something big man!

Zion has been a defensive disappointment throughout 9 games. He certainly isn't flying Draymond right now. On offense... I feel you could throw him into any game with any player and he'd still be able to just be a cannonball with the most ridiculous second jump ever. He's going to help a team just by being on the floor. His rim diving "gravity" looks terrifying, just sucks the entire defense in when he starts to cut.

I dunno. Zion has only played 9 games so I still believe he can improve. Embiid is starting to make me worry that he won't improve. Embiid's basement when healthy is still perennial DPOY candidate wich is pretty good. I'll go with the unknown and pick Zion though.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#45 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:36 am

subbed sub wrote:Zion is so overhyped on here. "Generational talent"... Please

I know you must have made your mind up before he played, and you're not willing to say you're wrong... but I just want to know what else would he need to do to appease people like you?

He's obviously and inarguably one of the most spectacular size/athleticism combos to ever step on a court. He had one of the best seasons in college basketball history, PRobably the best freshman in the last 40 years?. He's off to one of the best starts a rookie has had in decades, and he's not even in game shape after being shelved for a few months.

What does a guy need to do? :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,472

Post#46 » by Pelly24 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:40 am

I need to see 20 games from Zion to have a better idea. Also not sure if he can truly create on his own at all. Hasn't gotten many chances from what I've seen.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,797

Post#47 » by HotelVitale » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:57 am

stormi wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:The Embiid slander from Raps fans is bizarre to me. Philly beat the brakes off of the Raps in the playoffs when Embiid was on the floor. His defense was that dominant. Then the Raps proceeded to quite comfortably take out the Bucks and Warriors. Raps ended up winning the title, so I don’t get why they’d be insecure about how great/impactful Embiid was in their playoff series.
Jojo was statistically more dominant (on/off wise) during his minutes on the court than Kawhi while battling a disease in his tummy worse than corona. Nobody else did that to the Raptors last year even in a down 'the world is falling' year where he's been splitting a majority of his minutes with another center for the first time in his career, he's still the best rim protector in the league while averaging ~23ppg
Eh, Sixers fan all the way but he wasn't very good in that series. Looked timid and confused for a lot of the series, like he was a rook or something instead of a dominant vet. We can blame nagging injuries or Gasol's defense, but to my eyes he just wasn't ready and didn't seem to know how he could play his game. Hoping that he's got it more together this PO and can play like we all know he can, though this year so far hasn't been that encouraging.

jamaalstar21 wrote:Embiid has not improved at all in his 4 years in the league. He's a nimble, athletic giant with a decent defensive motor, which makes him automatically one one of the best defensive players in the NBA.... Embiid is starting to make me worry that he won't improve. Embiid's basement when healthy is still perennial DPOY candidate wich is pretty good.

All that's fair but his basement is a perennial DPOY candidate who also scores an efficient 23-25ppg. Even for someone who hasn't improved much and has bad offensive instincts, he can almost effortlessly drop those numbers.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#48 » by Prokorov » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:08 am

at this point you probably still have to say embiid... BUT Zion has the capability of become a more dynamic small ball 5 version of draymond. the guy is just a monster.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,333

Post#49 » by cupcakesnake » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:11 am

HotelVitale wrote:All that's fair but his basement is a perennial DPOY candidate who also scores an efficient 23-25ppg. Even for someone who hasn't improved much and has bad offensive instincts, he can almost effortlessly drop those numbers.

Embiid is not efficient. 46%FG is not efficient for a post-up center. His career TS% is at 58%, which seems okay until you look at Jokic or Towns or Gobert. He's the least efficient high volume offensive center in the game.

Embiid is really really really good. But I don't like his offensive game much and I've been disappointed by the lack of growth as a basketball player.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#50 » by SmashMouthRod » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:35 am

If Im the GM I would take Embiid. Im of the belief that the same thing that people say about Simmons applies to Embiid as well. Meaning that if you surround him with shooting; you have to pick your poison. If you build a roster similar to the one Dwight Howard had around him in Orlando when they were in contention several years back. Embiid is a yearly MVP candidate easily and the team has shot to win it every year. Zion would probably sell more tickets and have more exciting plays but as crazy as it sounds as a strategy I would make Zion do everything and contain everyone else. Its a lot harder to do that with four quality shooters being the primary ball handlers and the biggest threat being the big (Embiid).
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#51 » by dautjazz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:50 am

I kinda feel like Embiid is close to his ceiling, he hasnt made big strides since his rookie season. Zion appears to have a bigger impact for his team as a rookie than Embiid does. If I were starting a franchise and I had to pick one of these two, it's Zion no question.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#52 » by dautjazz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:56 am

stormi wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:The Embiid slander from Raps fans is bizarre to me.

Philly beat the brakes off of the Raps in the playoffs when Embiid was on the floor. His defense was that dominant.

Then the Raps proceeded to quite comfortably take out the Bucks and Warriors.

Raps ended up winning the title, so I don’t get why they’d be insecure about how great/impactful Embiid was in their playoff series.

Jojo was statistically more dominant (on/off wise) during his minutes on the court than Kawhi while battling a disease in his tummy worse than corona. Nobody else did that to the Raptors last year

even in a down 'the world is falling' year where he's been splitting a majority of his minutes with another center for the first time in his career, he's still the best rim protector in the league while averaging ~23ppg

Read on Twitter

Give me the best big man in the league over Bobby Portis with more hops
Are you seriously going to use that stat to support that Embiid is the best rim protector? No way in hell is Embiid or Green a better rim protector than Gobert. Opposing FG% for shots in the paint is a way better stat, and I guarantee you that Embiid wouldn't top that list.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,677

Post#53 » by stormi » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:37 am

dautjazz wrote:
stormi wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:The Embiid slander from Raps fans is bizarre to me.

Philly beat the brakes off of the Raps in the playoffs when Embiid was on the floor. His defense was that dominant.

Then the Raps proceeded to quite comfortably take out the Bucks and Warriors.

Raps ended up winning the title, so I don’t get why they’d be insecure about how great/impactful Embiid was in their playoff series.

Jojo was statistically more dominant (on/off wise) during his minutes on the court than Kawhi while battling a disease in his tummy worse than corona. Nobody else did that to the Raptors last year

even in a down 'the world is falling' year where he's been splitting a majority of his minutes with another center for the first time in his career, he's still the best rim protector in the league while averaging ~23ppg

Read on Twitter

Give me the best big man in the league over Bobby Portis with more hops
Are you seriously going to use that stat to support that Embiid is the best rim protector? No way in hell is Embiid or Green a better rim protector than Gobert. Opposing FG% for shots in the paint is a way better stat, and I guarantee you that Embiid wouldn't top that list.

Gobert is definitely a better pure rim protector and has quick feet, but that's his specialty. Embiid is leagues better offensively than Rudy while similarly skilled at protecting the rim
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#54 » by Dame Lizard » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:39 am

Gooner wrote:
Dupp wrote:Give me embiid as size and elite defense over any offensive potential difference in Zion’s favour.

Zion's defensive potential is elite without a doubt.
I'd argue Zion has more defensive potential than Embiid (regardless of whether we're speaking of current Embiid, or Embiid's defensive potential at draft day).
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#55 » by Dupp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:42 am

Dame Lizard wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Dupp wrote:Give me embiid as size and elite defense over any offensive potential difference in Zion’s favour.

Zion's defensive potential is elite without a doubt.
I'd argue Zion has more defensive potential than Embiid (regardless of whether we're speaking of current Embiid, or Embiid's defensive potential at draft day).

Well that’s just completely far fetched.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#56 » by Pennebaker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:56 am

Zion is like face-of-the-NBA level.

Embiid is just one of those great centers during the Zion era.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#57 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:08 am

subbed sub wrote:Zion is so overhyped on here. "Generational talent"... Please

Name me a 285lb 6-6 guy with a 48 inch vert this decade, I'll wait.

The only player you're going to find that is close is in 2003.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#58 » by Alonzo_Morning » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:11 am

jamaalstar21 wrote:I dunno. Zion has only played 9 games so I still believe he can improve.

Going out on a serious limb there
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,667

Post#59 » by durden_tyler » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:11 am

A motivated Embiid is better than both.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,965

Post#60 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:26 am

Zion is the best talent since LeBron.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to The General Board