Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: The truth was way worse

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Re: Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: 

Post#21 » by NY 567 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:59 pm

Touch it Dave.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,693

Post#22 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:03 pm

DoubleLintendre wrote:Excellent read. The style of writing made took a minute to get accustomed to. Great content and insight from his POV.

Stuff like this makes you look at "lazy"players, and the trash clickbait lists they appear in, differently.

I think you can be hard on a player basketball-wise, consider him a bum (on the court), etc., but at the end of the day still sympathize with him as a human being with personal struggles.

Also, that story about his mistress and child being murdered and all the fall out- man that is incomprehensible...

Sitting there in Q’s apartment, in the pitch black, I basically just cycled through hundreds and hundreds of what-ifs. And that just had me more and more depressed.

Money isn’t going to bring people back or make people forget about what you’ve done.

Sometimes all money can do is pay for a nicer funeral.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,221

Post#23 » by Dan Z » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:04 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/eddy-curry-nba-the-truth-was-way-worse

Damn, good read. Pretty crazy stuff.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app

I feel like you posted this for me to read, so thanks ClipsFan.

But Eddy Curry I have no jokes against your weight... the joke is what the Knicks surrendered in order to trade for you.

The trade that got the Bulls Noah. Thank you Knicks! I just wish the Bulls didn't trade Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas on draft night.
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#24 » by Justin33 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:09 pm

He needs to take the pitty dick out of his mouth and stop crying about people making fun of him. At no point did he mention his own lack of physical conditioning. His own lack of effort on the court. This article just shows how immature he still really is. But we have jokes
daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Post#25 » by daswunderboy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:11 pm

Dan Z wrote:
OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/eddy-curry-nba-the-truth-was-way-worse

I feel like you posted this for me to read, so thanks ClipsFan.

But Eddy Curry I have no jokes against your weight... the joke is what the Knicks surrendered in order to trade for you.

The trade that got the Bulls Noah. Thank you Knicks! I just wish the Bulls didn't trade Aldridge for Tyrus Thomas on draft night.

Bulls drafted Chandler (well, draft trade) and Curry 2nd and 4th, 3rd was Pau Gasol. Chandler ended up having a great career, but it's always funny when a team picks 2 players at one position, and misses out on the obviously better guy (a la the TWovles picking Flynn and Rubio instead of Curry in 2009).
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#26 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Thanks for posting this, it is one of the deepest, craziest Player's Tribune articles I have ever read.

Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#27 » by Scalabrine » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Capn'O wrote:Curry seemed like a nice guy that made some not so great decisions that blew up in the worst way for him. Good to hear he's cleaned up most of that and he's very lucky his wife stayed. He didn't know how to keep problematic people away from him. I've always had some empathy for him as a person because I heard many of the backstories already... but this is the line that sticks out to me.

Thinking back on it now, I honestly didn’t even want to play basketball as a kid.

It was so obvious. He just didn't really love the game. And there's nothing wrong with that but it's too bad that's what he ended up doing.

A lot of people make a living off doing something they dont love. I'd say more people than not probably.
Go Knicks!
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#28 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:28 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:I never understood how some players spend endless amounts of money on useless things but it starts to make more sense once I read some of these Player Tribunes. I mean these guys grow up with nothing, in low-income neighborhoods. It's almost a miracle IF they don't blow their money based on how they were brought up.

Glad Curry turned his life around and realized what true happiness is.

Plus it's not like he spent it all on houses and yachts. He lost a lot of it to leechers, hanger-ons, and outright thieves.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,578

Post#29 » by Capn'O » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Curry seemed like a nice guy that made some not so great decisions that blew up in the worst way for him. Good to hear he's cleaned up most of that and he's very lucky his wife stayed. He didn't know how to keep problematic people away from him. I've always had some empathy for him as a person because I heard many of the backstories already... but this is the line that sticks out to me.

Thinking back on it now, I honestly didn’t even want to play basketball as a kid.

It was so obvious. He just didn't really love the game. And there's nothing wrong with that but it's too bad that's what he ended up doing.

A lot of people make a living off doing something they dont love. I'd say more people than not probably.

There's a lot behind that comment that pertains to his Knick tenure and how/why he was acquired but it really isn't appropriate for this thread. This is more about his journey and, like Marbury, it's good to see that he seems to have landed going the right direction. He even looks better than he did as a Knick. More confident and comfortable in his skin.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,507

Eddy Curry and How Fans Treat Athletes (Players' Tribune piece) 

Post#30 » by durden_tyler » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:39 am

Perhaps one of the most honest pieces in The Players' Tribune.

i know at some point i made those Eddy Curry jokes (and more than half of Real GM) and i feel guilty now.

My main takeaway is that it's very easy for us to criticize these players but we forget that these are human beings, with real struggles (outside basketball) too.

The Truth Was Way Worse

Before I knew it, I was on a plane flying back to New York, and even just within those few hours more and more details became clear. I found out that my son Noah was right there when his mother and sister were shot. But he was so little that he didn’t really understand what had happened. He’d tried to wake up his mom after the shooting, so when the officers went in and found him there, he had blood all over him. He actually laid down next to her and had fallen asleep.

Noah hadn’t been able to wake up his mom or his sister, and probably thought they were sleeping, so he went to sleep, too.

These were the lines that hit me, guess being older and being a father now changes a lot of perspective and made me feel guilty about the jokes.

In behalf of RealGM, i'd like to apologize to Eddy Curry and every other player we made fun of-- especially the personal ones where we really don't know the entire story.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
MJ7
Senior
And1: 942

Re: Eddy Curry and How Fans Treat Athletes (Players' Tribune piece) 

Post#31 » by MJ7 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 am

touch it, dave somehow overshadowed all the tragedy in his life, people cruel af
Wizard/MJ fan
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#32 » by dorkestra » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 am

Good article. Thanks for posting this.

I met Eddy Curry in the Nike store in Chicago in 2004. He was the nicest guy. Kind of shy, but very kind.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,228

Post#33 » by azcatz11 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:11 am

I feel bad for him. He never had the proper education in money management and that wasn't his fault. The early 00's were a somewhat dark ages for the NBA. They signed these guys out of HS with no structure and no support system in place and they blew all their money.

I just googled and he took out a $4M mortgage in 2006 with payments of $25k monthly. That's insane
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Post#34 » by Sherlock » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:28 am

durden_tyler wrote:Perhaps one of the most honest pieces in The Players' Tribune.

i know at some point i made those Eddy Curry jokes (and more than half of Real GM) and i feel guilty now.

My main takeaway is that it's very easy for us to criticize these players but we forget that these are human beings, with real struggles (outside basketball) too.

The Truth Was Way Worse

Before I knew it, I was on a plane flying back to New York, and even just within those few hours more and more details became clear. I found out that my son Noah was right there when his mother and sister were shot. But he was so little that he didn’t really understand what had happened. He’d tried to wake up his mom after the shooting, so when the officers went in and found him there, he had blood all over him. He actually laid down next to her and had fallen asleep.

Noah hadn’t been able to wake up his mom or his sister, and probably thought they were sleeping, so he went to sleep, too.

These were the lines that hit me, guess being older and being a father now changes a lot of perspective and made me feel guilty about the jokes.

In behalf of RealGM, i'd like to apologize to Eddy Curry and every other player we made fun of-- especially the personal ones where we really don't know the entire story.

Damn.

Crazy stuff.

Thanks for sharing.
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#35 » by LakerLegend » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:32 am

There is ZERO excuse for this:

It definitely sucked to have people straight-up stealing my money like that dude did, but to be honest with you the biggest financial issue back then stemmed from my own personality.

If someone had a sad story for me, I couldn’t say no.

If you were about to get evicted, or your mom needed money for an operation, and we’d been boys since the second grade or whatever … I was your man.

I couldn’t have somebody over at my house — be riding around in a $500,000 car, eating the best food imaginable — and then have them say, like, “Bro, I’m about to lose my family’s house,” and do nothing. I couldn’t just be like, “Damn, that’s too bad.” I literally wasn’t able to just listen and not do anything.

I was paying off people’s momma’s mortgages. Covering cellphone bills. Making car payments. I couldn’t say no.

People would come to me with the saddest stories imaginable. And a lot of times, at first, the ask would be pretty small. I’d look at it like, “Damn, he only needs $1,500. You know what? Hey, bro, I got you, man. What you need? I got you.” But then there was always another chapter. Like: “Nah, $1,500 would be cool, but if you had $3,000, that would be better.”

And I’d always go for the bump-up.

I’d always say to myself, “It’s all good … what’s $3,000?”

But when you’re doing that for like 15 different people, it adds up. And I understand now that a lot of times people were telling me stories just to take advantage of me. Lots of times it was just lies. People I’d known my whole life, people I loved, would just straight-up lie and pull some of the foulest **** imaginable to try and rip me off.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#36 » by LakerLegend » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:33 am

Curry also says in the article he eventually grew to love basketball, so his lack of a love for the game is not an excuse for his terrible work ethic.
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#37 » by Chronz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:35 am

azcatz11 wrote:I feel bad for him. He never had the proper education in money management and that wasn't his fault. The early 00's were a somewhat dark ages for the NBA. They signed these guys out of HS with no structure and no support system in place and they blew all their money.

I just googled and he took out a $4M mortgage in 2006 with payments of $25k monthly. That's insane

Its just a lack of common sense, no sympathy for these millionaires. NBA has a great program for them too
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#38 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:40 am

He brought nearly all of this on himself and that's called life. I wish I could feel sorry for him but he treated ones that loved him like they have no value. Luckily for him one has stood by his side.

I was a Eddy Curry guy. Watched him when television would air his high school games and read every article about him before the draft. I watched Kwame Brown often in person growing up in Georgia who become 1st overall. Eddy just never grew up and during his playing days he never cared to focus on his conditioning. Zero work ethic! From the 2001 first round I believe Tyson Chandler is the only player still playing at the NBA level.

I enjoy reading articles like this one. The John Wall one comes to mind as the more recent one but I can't feel sorry for Eddy Curry. Going forward I hope he truly has focused on his family.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#39 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:42 am

Chronz wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:I feel bad for him. He never had the proper education in money management and that wasn't his fault. The early 00's were a somewhat dark ages for the NBA. They signed these guys out of HS with no structure and no support system in place and they blew all their money.

Its just a lack of common sense, no sympathy for these millionaires. NBA has a great program for them too

The pension program is outstanding.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#40 » by ATTL » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:45 am

I'm glad eddy is doing better. I remember that story about his driver sounded so crazy when it came out.

Driving for eddy sounds like it would have been a fun job. Video games, **** talking, good reference.

Return to The General Board