Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: The truth was way worse

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Re: Eddy Curry and How Fans Treat Athletes (Players' Tribune piece) 

Post#41 » by Pennebaker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:53 am

durden_tyler wrote:Perhaps one of the most honest pieces in The Players' Tribune.

i know at some point i made those Eddy Curry jokes (and more than half of Real GM) and i feel guilty now.

My main takeaway is that it's very easy for us to criticize these players but we forget that these are human beings, with real struggles (outside basketball) too.

The Truth Was Way Worse

Before I knew it, I was on a plane flying back to New York, and even just within those few hours more and more details became clear. I found out that my son Noah was right there when his mother and sister were shot. But he was so little that he didn’t really understand what had happened. He’d tried to wake up his mom after the shooting, so when the officers went in and found him there, he had blood all over him. He actually laid down next to her and had fallen asleep.

Noah hadn’t been able to wake up his mom or his sister, and probably thought they were sleeping, so he went to sleep, too.

These were the lines that hit me, guess being older and being a father now changes a lot of perspective and made me feel guilty about the jokes.

In behalf of RealGM, i'd like to apologize to Eddy Curry and every other player we made fun of-- especially the personal ones where we really don't know the entire story.

There's nothing wrong with being gay. Why does he keep bringing that up like it bothers him?
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,930

Post#42 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:00 am

That part OP shared about the son is so heartbreaking.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
6ixSideSniper
Head Coach
And1: 11,585

Post#43 » by 6ixSideSniper » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:06 am

Pennebaker wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Perhaps one of the most honest pieces in The Players' Tribune.

i know at some point i made those Eddy Curry jokes (and more than half of Real GM) and i feel guilty now.

My main takeaway is that it's very easy for us to criticize these players but we forget that these are human beings, with real struggles (outside basketball) too.

The Truth Was Way Worse

Before I knew it, I was on a plane flying back to New York, and even just within those few hours more and more details became clear. I found out that my son Noah was right there when his mother and sister were shot. But he was so little that he didn’t really understand what had happened. He’d tried to wake up his mom after the shooting, so when the officers went in and found him there, he had blood all over him. He actually laid down next to her and had fallen asleep.

Noah hadn’t been able to wake up his mom or his sister, and probably thought they were sleeping, so he went to sleep, too.

These were the lines that hit me, guess being older and being a father now changes a lot of perspective and made me feel guilty about the jokes.

In behalf of RealGM, i'd like to apologize to Eddy Curry and every other player we made fun of-- especially the personal ones where we really don't know the entire story.

There's nothing wrong with being gay. Why does he keep bringing that up like it bothers him?

If you’re not gay and someone constantly accuses you of being gay it’s going to bother you. Like if you kept insisting a gay person was straight, it would bother them too. People always looking to get offended when there’s nothing to be offended about.
What about DeRozan dawg?!?!

2018-2019 NBA CHAMPIONS

Rest In Peace The_Hater
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,891

Post#44 » by miamiheat319 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:07 am

NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#45 » by Chronz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:38 am

Pennebaker wrote:

The Truth Was Way Worse

Because it's a lifestyle he doesn't agree with. Lots of people find being gay wrong, others don't care, others bend over
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#46 » by Pennebaker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:39 am

6ixSideSniper wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

The Truth Was Way Worse

If you’re not gay and someone constantly accuses you of being gay it’s going to bother you. Like if you kept insisting a gay person was straight, it would bother them too. People always looking to get offended when there’s nothing to be offended about.

That's offensive and homophobic.

Nobody would tease a gay person about being straight and if they tried the gay person wouldn't care. "Straight" is not considered an insult.
6ixSideSniper
Head Coach
And1: 11,585

Post#47 » by 6ixSideSniper » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:46 am

Pennebaker wrote:
6ixSideSniper wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

Nobody would tease a gay person about being straight and if they tried the gay person wouldn't care. "Straight" is not considered an insult.

Again, people are always looking to be offended when there’s nothing there.

Are you gay? If you are and I kept saying “hey man, you’re not really gay, I heard you tried to rape your female Nanny so you can’t be gay” all day would that bother you?

Not only is your sexuality being questioned but you’re also accused of rape (pretty serious accusations) of a person of a gender you aren’t even attracted to.

But keep telling me how offended you are.

Warning --- offensive comments
What about DeRozan dawg?!?!

2018-2019 NBA CHAMPIONS

Rest In Peace The_Hater
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 744

Post#48 » by NY2k1 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 am

LakerLegend wrote:Curry also says in the article he eventually grew to love basketball, so his lack of a love for the game is not an excuse for his terrible work ethic.

I'm sure he grew to love it, but he never truly LOVED it. It's like that woman you date that you do love (or grow to love), but that you aren't IN LOVE with.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,958

Post#49 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 am

Damn the night version of this thread is way more hostile than the day version was.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#50 » by Chronz » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:51 am

Pennebaker wrote:
6ixSideSniper wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

depends on your sensibilities. you can't speak on behalf of all the gays nor the straights
Sulico
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,295

Post#51 » by Sulico » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:00 am

The guy was pure trash, on and off the court.
Had no work ethic, or any discipline for that matter, was terrible at about every aspect of the game except scoring under the rim.
Really dumb with money, relationships, you name it.
And yeah, he was fat NBA player! This is so ridiculous, it can't be not funny.

So now he what, thinks it all just doesn't matter because he had some tragedy in his life. Everybody have tragedies in their life.

How about instead of sponsoring your "homies" you take care of your second family, if you were dumb enough to make it, buy them some nice house and move them to safe neighborhood? How about you actually do your job, especially if it's one of the greatest job in the world.

I have no sympathy for this guy. Life gave him a lot of chances, chances 99.9999% of us don't have, and he blew them all and now he tries to act like a victim. He's not, he's just a dumb, lazy dude and people have the right to ridicule him for it.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,377

Post#52 » by durden_tyler » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:52 am

Sulico wrote:The guy was pure trash, on and off the court.
Had no work ethic, or any discipline for that matter, was terrible at about every aspect of the game except scoring under the rim.

So now he what, thinks it all just doesn't matter because he had some tragedy in his life. Everybody have tragedies in their life.

How about instead of sponsoring your "homies" you take care of your second family, if you were dumb enough to make it, buy them some nice house and move them to safe neighborhood? How about you actually do your job, especially if it's one of the greatest job in the world.

I have no sympathy for this guy. Life gave him a lot of chances, chances 99.9999% of us don't have, and he blew them all and now he tries to act like a victim. He's not, he's just a dumb, lazy dude and people have the right to ridicule him for it.

i don't know man. Everyone gets a chance to turn their life around. Maybe it comes later for some, and appears to be for Eddy Curry.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#53 » by ProfessorJM » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:03 am

People can criticize Curry all they want and say they don't feel sorry or whatever, but no way do I not feel sorry for any person in this world who has to find out they lost a child. I just can't imagine that feeling no matter who it is, and I have empathy for that kind of loss even though there is no way I can truly understand it.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,415

Post#54 » by ThatBoyNick » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:10 am

His baby was shot dead. He gets my respect for somehow not killing himself or not being completely whacked out on drugs.
Sulico
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,295

Post#55 » by Sulico » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:16 am

durden_tyler wrote:
Sulico wrote:The guy was pure trash, on and off the court.

i don't know man. Everyone gets a chance to turn their life around. Maybe it comes later for some, and appears to be for Eddy Curry.

And I'm not saying I don't wish him best of luck. But respect is earned not given. And if he thinks he can earn it acting like a victim when he's not, he's wrong.

ProfessorJM wrote:People can criticize Curry all they want and say they don't feel sorry or whatever, but no way do I not feel sorry for any person in this world who has to find out they lost a child. I just can't imagine that feeling no matter who it is, and I have empathy for that kind of loss even though there is no way I can truly understand it.

It's heartbreaking. But I blame him. We have one job in this world, and it's protecting our women and children. Did he do a good job at it? No. Did he do anything for it? No.
ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#56 » by ProfessorJM » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:22 am

ProfessorJM wrote:People can criticize Curry all they want and say they don't feel sorry or whatever, but no way do I not feel sorry for any person in this world who has to find out they lost a child. I just can't imagine that feeling no matter who it is, and I have empathy for that kind of loss even though there is no way I can truly understand it.

It's heartbreaking. But I blame him. We have one job in this world, and it's protecting our women and children. Did he do a good job at it? No. Did he do anything for it? No.[/quote]

Wow. I guess your mind is what it is, good luck.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#57 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:10 am

Pennebaker wrote:There's nothing wrong with being gay. Why does he keep bringing that up like it bothers him?

If you're accused of being gay then, in many cases, you're also automatically being accused of having been a lifelong liar.

It can get even worse. I was once in a chat room with a group of women. One of them joked "Come on, you're really gay/bi, and scared to admit." I replied: "Great. In a single sentence you've managed to accuse me of being a liar, a coward, and gay."

(The reasons why I didn't just brush off the joke aren't particularly interesting, except that -- as supportive as I am of OTHER people being gay, I have reasons why gay sex for myself would be very squicky.)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#58 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 am

Pennebaker wrote:

There are probably a few exceptions to your rule. E.g., conservatives have started accusing entertainment celebrities of being fake gays because coming out gets attention and is cool, or some nonsense like that.

Unfortunately for our outrage -- while that has never to my knowledge happened, lesser versions of pretend-gayness are documented, if stories in interviews are to be believed.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Mujahydeen
Senior
And1: 852

Post#59 » by Mujahydeen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
6ixSideSniper wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

It's not, you are just virtue signaling.

The driver lied about being sexually harassed by Curry, stories he had told publicly would be very embarrassing to anyone, regardless if it was gay-harassment or straight-harassment and it's not Curry's fault people made it into a laughing matter "HA, CURRY GAY", which is like the main point of the whole article. No sane person would read all over the internet that they tried to give their driver a blowjob in the car and be 100% fine with it because "a man giving a man a blowjob is gay, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay, so thousands of people ridiculing me on the internet do not bother me in the slightest".
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#60 » by Galloisdaman » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Some people treated this guy horribly. At some point people can get so low.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D

Return to The General Board