Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Re: The Kuzma Thread 

Post#201 » by NippySudz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Dmagic wrote:
NippySudz wrote:
Dmagic wrote:Kuzma just doesn't seem comfortable doing thr dirty work aka getting in where he fits in. chances are that That is why the team doesnt
make a point to get him involved like they did kevin love back in the Cavs days. Also our third guy isn't kuzma. It's like a 7 headed monster of all our guards . But kuzma needs to get down and dirty if he wants a future
I agree but honestly I thought Vogel did a horrible job of using him last night. Yesterday was not the case of him missing shots or making terrible turn overs. He looked unengaged and I keep saying Frank has to do a better job of keeping him engaged in the game..run some actions for him, he gets in a rhythm stays locked in even if he isn't shooting the ball.

Kuz only played 16mins. Barely any burn so I can't criticise him for this one.

Vogel made some great coaching adjustments last night, Howard on jokic, less rondo but he needs to look out for Kuz. It's not going to work all the time but he has to keep him locked in.

When Lou Williams comes in, almost every time he comes in, his first few touches are shots. Kuz needs something like that. Then return to schedule programming but allow the guy to try to establish an early rhythm

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

True. And it's only midway point of season. They probably just making kuz work for it first mentally and physically before they focus on the young guy. Once everybody else is good. Kuzma will be a delight. Hopefully they have thought this out
I can see why he yanked kuz from a defensive standpoint. Vogel (and LeBron) wasn't dicking around. This was a tie breaker game. They came out with the urgency to make sure they push the gap between two teams and have the time breaker.

It's a good win in term of odds of retaining the number 1 seed in the west.

Vogel extended Bradley's mins when he was playing like complete trash. Same with KCP. So they can get into a rhythm. They've been playing more consistent ever since. He doesn't afford that luxury to kuzma

I'm not high on kuzma but I won't deny that sometimes he gets the short end of the stick.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,945

Post#202 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:28 pm

NippySudz wrote:I agree but honestly I thought Vogel did a horrible job of using him last night. Yesterday was not the case of him missing shots or making terrible turn overs. He looked unengaged and I keep saying Frank has to do a better job of keeping him engaged in the game..run some actions for him, he gets in a rhythm stays locked in even if he isn't shooting the ball.

If so, then WTF does this say about Kuzma? You're a professional ballplayer, playing on the road against one of the best teams in the NBA, last game before the All-Star break, and you're not "engaged"??? I don't even know if that was the case; frankly, I'm just about the furthest thing from a Kuzma guy around here, and it looks to me like he's been giving pretty decent effort lately. But as has been increasingly clear on a contending team that is playing for something every night, as opposed to lottery squads where dudes can just jack up shots, Kuzma isn't even remotely good enough to be a "needs touches" guy.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#203 » by NippySudz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
NippySudz wrote:I agree but honestly I thought Vogel did a horrible job of using him last night. Yesterday was not the case of him missing shots or making terrible turn overs. He looked unengaged and I keep saying Frank has to do a better job of keeping him engaged in the game..run some actions for him, he gets in a rhythm stays locked in even if he isn't shooting the ball.

If so, then WTF does this say about Kuzma? You're a professional ballplayer, playing on the road against one of the best teams in the NBA, last game before the All-Star break, and you're not "engaged"??? I don't even know if that was the case; frankly, I'm just about the furthest thing from a Kuzma guy around here, and it looks to me like he's been giving pretty decent effort lately. But as has been increasingly clear on a contending team that is playing for something every night, as opposed to lottery squads where dudes can just jack up shots, Kuzma isn't even remotely good enough to be a "needs touches" guy.

It says he's a 3rd year guy. I also said I don't know if he plays in the playoffs as much because his lack of experience might show. I think it can go one of two ways, playing in the playoffs will show him how much attention, focus, and detail is needed to win at the highest level and he'll become better because of the experience as the playoffs go on or he's gonna flop in the playoffs like jordan clarkson did in the cavs 18 season. Jordan is not bad, but the pressure got to him too much.

People forget that Jr smith and javale mgee were knuckle heads. Didn't focus early in their careers.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,945

Post#204 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:25 pm

NippySudz wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

It says he's a 3rd year guy. I also said I don't know if he plays in the playoffs as much because his lack of experience might show. I think it can go one of two ways, playing in the playoffs will show him how much attention, focus, and detail is needed to win at the highest level and he'll become better because of the experience as the playoffs go on or he's gonna flop in the playoffs like jordan clarkson did in the cavs 18 season. Jordan is not bad, but the pressure got to him too much.

People forget that Jr smith and javale mgee were knuckle heads. Didn't focus early in their careers.

Dude is almost 25, so immaturity isn't an excuse for me. And again, I don't even think that's the issue. The bigger thing, which I'm slowly making peace with, is that's he's a mediocre player who hasn't improved much at all since we got him, and has yet to be a positive player on either side of the ball in any of his three seasons. Maybe he'll blossom in a different situation, where he can get all the touches and "engagement" he wants, and doesn't have an All-Star soaking up minutes in front of him and another one dominating the offense. But that doesn't do anything for us in the present given the way our team is constructed so who cares.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#205 » by BEazy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:45 pm

I’ve been a really big Kuzma supporter since we got him, but all these little side acts are getting on my nerves. Ever since he got that Puma contract he’s been acting so Hollywood. He’ll learn in a quick second that if he falls off and doesn’t produce on the court, his endorsements and everything else he is associated with will be gone in a flash. He needs to get his head out of his ass and start focusing on basketball. He’s the complete opposite of humble. Go back to being a Flint kid and grind man...

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#206 » by stan francisco » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:04 pm

Kuzma played just fine off of LeBron last season. AD takes up a lot of LBJ’s attention. I know he has a pair. It’s time to play real ball, Kuz. No excuses left. Move off the ball, demand the ball. Dive to the floor. Detroit style junkyard dog needs to resurface, budding LA diva needs to go.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#207 » by Landsberger » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:58 am

None of you guys chirping will have to wait long for him to be gone. He won't survive the summer. Leadership doesn't want anything but vets on short deals for under value to pair with Bron. Actually, it's what Bron wants as well.

When Davis and Bron both said the exact same thing in separate interviews about how they were going to get the majority of the opportunities and the rest of the team would need to support that and fill in the gaps they were talking directly to Kuz. Funny thing is.... he's doing exactly that and the fans want 15+ points a game out of around 10 shots many of which come from offensive rebounds or are heaves at the end of quarters.

He's upped his game defensively a lot this year.... last years' Kuz sucks chants here... yet no one notices that end now... its all about 3 pointers.

My guess is that he finds his way to a team and has quality production... maybe not All Star stuff but easily the 18 or so he got last year. No one is going to get more than he's getting here with Davis and Bron in this current system.... just not happening no matter how much they "move off the ball" or "demand" or set aside their off the court activities.

What I'm seeing is a player who doesn't have a role other than taking a shot when afforded the opportunity. There are no plays for him that get any regular burn and Bron and Davis will consume 90% of the shots when Kuz plays with them. Late in games we don't run so what he does well there is negated as well. We typically shoot very late in the clock or very early in the clock when Bron closes out games so again, his movement off the ball is negated. He will sometimes get bunches of shots up at the end of the first quarter only to not touch the ball again until the beginning of the 4th. There is no role for him here. There won't be either.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#208 » by Spanish_Laker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:34 am

Play defense, hit the wide open 3s and attack the rim/be aggressive anytime AD or Bron are on the bench. If he can do that consistently, we will be fine. We don't need 18 ppg, maybe 10-12 on good TS%.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#209 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:53 pm

Landsberger wrote:None of you guys chirping will have to wait long for him to be gone. He won't survive the summer. Leadership doesn't want anything but vets on short deals for under value to pair with Bron. Actually, it's what Bron wants as well.

When Davis and Bron both said the exact same thing in separate interviews about how they were going to get the majority of the opportunities and the rest of the team would need to support that and fill in the gaps they were talking directly to Kuz. Funny thing is.... he's doing exactly that and the fans want 15+ points a game out of around 10 shots many of which come from offensive rebounds or are heaves at the end of quarters.

He's upped his game defensively a lot this year.... last years' Kuz sucks chants here... yet no one notices that end now... its all about 3 pointers.

My guess is that he finds his way to a team and has quality production... maybe not All Star stuff but easily the 18 or so he got last year. No one is going to get more than he's getting here with Davis and Bron in this current system.... just not happening no matter how much they "move off the ball" or "demand" or set aside their off the court activities.

What I'm seeing is a player who doesn't have a role other than taking a shot when afforded the opportunity. There are no plays for him that get any regular burn and Bron and Davis will consume 90% of the shots when Kuz plays with them. Late in games we don't run so what he does well there is negated as well. We typically shoot very late in the clock or very early in the clock when Bron closes out games so again, his movement off the ball is negated. He will sometimes get bunches of shots up at the end of the first quarter only to not touch the ball again until the beginning of the 4th. There is no role for him here. There won't be either.

He should have been packaged with Bradley to get Covington
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Montana78
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#210 » by Montana78 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:49 pm

Hey all, long time forum lurker since the late 2000s. I grew up loving our role players: Cooper, AC Green, Byron, E. Campbell, Fox, Etc... expectations can be a killer.

Personally don't expect Kumza to be a 3rd star on this team, nor do I think we need a 3rd star ATM. Having role players step up in "the moment" is the hope, and not to shy away from it. KCP, Bradley, Howard have each had their moments and sometimes Green. Kumza I think gets a bigger spot light as an under-performer that could be a star? But really, do we need him to be a start, eh I don't think so.

Going into the playoffs I would rather have 8 - 9 guys that are all in for the team, which this year by far has been the best group of guys that support each other. Listening on other team boards where you hear the malfunction, or dramas is an all to familiar feel --> waiting for *** to hit the fan and lets talk about the wrongs and see what needs to be fix. This year we have a group that you can tell is rallying together.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#211 » by tamaraw08 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Landsberger wrote:None of you guys chirping will have to wait long for him to be gone. He won't survive the summer. Leadership doesn't want anything but vets on short deals for under value to pair with Bron. Actually, it's what Bron wants as well.

That is my proverbial question. Yes, to a point I understand the pecking order, I used to struggle to grasp why Phil can't maximize Glen Rice next to Kobe and Shaq etc but this team is VERY BAD when Lebron sits and yet it seems like Vogel CHOOSES to NOT RUN PLAYS for his 3rd best scorer esp when James is resting. If Frank is bad in diagramming plays, then assign his expensive assistants, Kidd and Hollins to draw some sets and practice them with the bench players who plays less than 20 mins/game.
I can't see Vogel simply hating Kuz, I think he tries hard to like him but just doesn't know how to use him. I see Spoelstra finding great roles for limited players James Johnson or a Duncan Robinson and yes I said it Justise Winlow. This guy can't shoot, no handles etc and yet he finds a way to be productive or even the bench players of Boston.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#212 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:07 pm

Caruso has found his niche. His comfort zone. Not the greatest athlete. But stays aggressive and attacking in his little cubicle of duties. This is where i believe Kuz may not be able to get it. His role MUST INCLUDE the dirty work. Rebounding. Blocking shots. Boxing out. Set the hard screens. When he is the 2nd tallest guy on the floor for our team, hes gotta crash the glass! Thats why we went after Morris. But i just dont know if its in him. Dont know if thats in Kuzs game. Or if he has the mindset to accept that role. If he rejects that role, afraid to get physical and mix it up. We are in trouble. One less gun to rely on. We took a shot at morris, couldnt land him. And now we may have an guy unwilling to accept that role of enforcement. THATS WHAT I BELIEVE is the reason for his lack of engagement type of play. He is fighting against accepting the physicality role, i believe our staff has placed upon him. And confirmed with our maneuver to acquire morris.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,909

Post#213 » by thebigbird » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#214 » by Landsberger » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:53 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Caruso has found his niche. His comfort zone. Not the greatest athlete. But stays aggressive and attacking in his little cubicle of duties. This is where i believe Kuz may not be able to get it. His role MUST INCLUDE the dirty work. Rebounding. Blocking shots. Boxing out. Set the hard screens. When he is the 2nd tallest guy on the floor for our team, hes gotta crash the glass! Thats why we went after Morris. But i just dont know if its in him. Dont know if thats in Kuzs game. Or if he has the mindset to accept that role. If he rejects that role, afraid to get physical and mix it up. We are in trouble. One less gun to rely on. We took a shot at morris, couldnt land him. And now we may have an guy unwilling to accept that role of enforcement. THATS WHAT I BELIEVE is the reason for his lack of engagement type of play. He is fighting against accepting the physicality role, i believe our staff has placed upon him. And confirmed with our maneuver to acquire morris.

Caruso is a 3rd string guard on most teams. He's loved here because he's dunked 8 times in 2 years. That said, he plays within himself and plays hard. He's limited but what we need he does at an adequate level. His contributions also go beyond skill and talent.

Kuzma has put up over 18... is widely known and is moving toward a contract year. Right, wrong or somewhere between he's going to want the most he can get in the next contract so being a spot up shooter isn't going to cement that. On top of that he, and everyone else knows, that regardless of his production this team in this situation won't be the one signing him. I truly believe he could be putting up the 18 points again with active defense etc. and still they would have tried to trade him for someone on a 1 or 2 year deal.

As for physicality. He's not built for it. His center of gravity is pretty high and he's not super athletic. I don't see his rebound numbers as a product of not trying but more a product of playing primarily with Dwight Howard. When he's in the game we have great relative rebound numbers. That's what important about rebounding... not who actually gets the ball.

His production over the last 8 to 10 games has been exactly what I believe they want from him. This board will look the other way when LeBron has 8 turnovers while at the same time post "get out" when he has one. Why is that? Because he's put up over 18 and he isn't doing it now. It seems like the only answer is that Kuzma is to blame for the supposed production "gap". I don't believe Bron, Davis or Vogel see a production gap. They want another guy to space the floor.... not to run a play for. If that's not obvious by now then I'm not sure people are really watching.

I do agree that you can see him hesitate on the offensive end in recent games. It's obvious that if he takes the ball to the hoop off the wing or elbow that he's been reprimanded because he will hand it back to Bron immediately after it's been passed to him. To me that's not instinctual.... it's reactionary to what he's being told to do.

At the end of the day... we have a record not many here thought we'd have at the break.... we've had multiple long winning streaks. We've lost one game on the road in the Western Conference so far and that was the first one. I don't see the "fear" in how we're playing when we get to the playoffs other are. Sure we'd like to have a bench like the Clippers... sure we'd like to hit 3's like Houston but if we play in the paint and play defense the way we have we'll be just fine because the playoff schedule is conducive to older stars like LeBron. Kuz has a good chance to get a championship before he leaves this summer IMHO. He has a good chance to contribute to it as well.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,540

Post#215 » by stan francisco » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:55 am

Like I said above, the junkyard dog from Detroit needs to resurface, the budding LA diva needs to go.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#216 » by Dmagic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:53 pm

We will know more about kuz at the end of this season. Let's see what happens after the all star break and see how he reacts/handles everything. Bc best believe the team is getting impatient with his tentative and inconsistent play and he knows it. You notice how we fixed ad and his locker room trips and acting hurt. My bet is that fixing kuzma to rebound and play defense is coming up next
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#217 » by BEazy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:47 pm

thebigbird wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

:banghead: :banghead:

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#218 » by Landsberger » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:33 pm

Individual branding is the name of the game these days. I hate it but endorsements are a big part of being a Pro-Athlete these days. He's kind of like a modern day Reggie Theus in this regard.

Hey.... truth be told....if someone paid me some serious coin to stay away from the All Star crap I'd do it in his position....
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#219 » by LAKESHOW » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:17 pm

We also have to face some facts here. Theres no doubt the clippers have Up Loaded. The last addition of Morris is a significUant Bulk Upgrade. Montrez is strong. Throw in zubac, green etc.
This means the Clips know what time it is, and they are preparing for an interior war with the top seeds. Utah, denver and especially us, seeing how we just wore out Joker last game. So we are going to ask alot of our bigs and KUZ down the stretch. Its going to be a battle in the trenches, i just.dont know who from our team, is going to show up and represent that Mamba Mentality.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#220 » by Landsberger » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:57 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:We also have to face some facts here. Theres no doubt the clippers have Up Loaded. The last addition of Morris is a significUant Bulk Upgrade. Montrez is strong. Throw in zubac, green etc.
This means the Clips know what time it is, and they are preparing for an interior war with the top seeds. Utah, denver and especially us, seeing how we just wore out Joker last game. So we are going to ask alot of our bigs and KUZ down the stretch. Its going to be a battle in the trenches, i just.dont know who from our team, is going to show up and represent that Mamba Mentality.

I think you're overthinking it. By the time we get to the playoffs teams will tighten their rotations... not expand them. The Clips have better depth than us on paper however if they are using a 8-9 man rotation some of that depth will be immaterial.

A bigger concern is the Lakers, which are using a more compact rotation, wearing out or getting injured.

I think our apparent lack of depth begins to disappear when we get to the playoffs quite frankly.

Kuzma's effectiveness offensively will coincide with his opportunities. You can't expect him to heavily contribute on 8-10 shots a game. Defensively he's been good to very good all year in the team scheme IMHO.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers