Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I]

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who are your top 3 bets for ROTY if Zion sits out season? (RESET)

Brandon Clarke
7%
PJ Washington
3%
Kendrick Nunn
17%
Ja Morant
40%
Darius Garland
1%
Coby White
3%
Rui Hachimura
3%
RJ Barrett
10%
De’Andre Hunter
2%
Tyler Herro
15%

Total votes: 405

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#2241 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:08 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:That’s what we’re going with huh, the Pels are making it easy for Zion

It’s so sad when people can’t just accept their prospect is good, even great, but maybe not the very best.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Where in my post do I day he's not good or great?.

Stating that he's operating in an ideal setting with optimum spacing & playmaking, is a fact & factor. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Jrue Holiday, Lonzo Ball, Derrick Favors and Josh Hart is optimum spacing huh.

Hart is shooting 35% on 6 apg - Career 4.2 apg
Jrue is shooting 35% on 6 apg - Career 3.6 apg
Ball is shooting 36% on 6.4 apg - Career 2.8 apg
Reddick is shooting 46% on nearly 7 apg - Career 5 apg
Ingram is shooting 40% on 6.3 apg - Career 5 apg

All up from their career attempts = system to help space the floor.

None shooting less than 35% on volume

Not surprised with your responses that you'd leave out Reddick & Ingram.
Smirk
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#2242 » by Smirk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:10 pm

Take a look at Zion’s on/off in that game. The second he went off the floor the Pelicans would go down by double digits. He’d come back in and they’d make it even.

The loss was very obviously not on him.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#2243 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:11 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Not that it matters anyway, teams have resorted to just trying to camp the lane to stop Zion anyway, it just doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I don't know if it's how I worded my post or what but I'm not denying that Zion is physically dominant.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#2244 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 pm

Smirk wrote:Take a look at Zion’s on/off in that game. The second he went off the floor the Pelicans would go down by double digits. He’d come back in and they’d make it even.

The loss was very obviously not on him.

I said it in my original post, talking about Zions teammates maximizing his strengths, is not a knock on Zion's ability.

It's why I likened it to Lebron in Cleveland.

Cavs without Lebron are a lotto team but with their skillsets, together, they were a championship team that functioned best with Lebron because they were built to maximize his strengths, does that mean I think less of Lebron as a player or just the fact that I acknowledge his teammates maximized his strengths as a player?.

I'm not surprised NO's are better with him on court & or playing. I'm not stating otherwise.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#2245 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Where in my post do I day he's not good or great?.

Stating that he's operating in an ideal setting with optimum spacing & playmaking, is a fact & factor. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Hart is shooting 35% on 6 apg
Jrue is shooting 35% on 6 apg
Reddick is shooting 46% on nearly 7 apg
Ingram is shooting 40% on 6.3 apg

I left out Ingram because he didn't play in Zion's last two games where he went for 30+. I just named the starting lineup.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#2246 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:35 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

I left out Ingram because he didn't play in Zion's last two games where he went for 30+. I just named the starting lineup.

I just edited the post. Forgot to add Ball is also shooting 36% on 6 apg. All 5 players are taking well above their career attempts from 3 at roughly 6 apg on average shooting no less than 35% on volume (6 apg) & as good as 46% on 7 apg with Reddick.

Rightfully, their coach is trying to space the paint as much as possible. I'm not saying Zion isn't good, are you telling me this doesn't benefit his post game?.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#2247 » by kg01 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 pm

Only element missing from this pillow fight is the question about whether one is truly a rookie or not. Man, I miss Ben Simmons. :( :-?
king01 :king:
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2248 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

I just edited the post. Forgot to add Ball is also shooting 36% on 6 apg. All 5 players are taking well above their career attempts from 3 at roughly 6 apg on average shooting no less than 35% on volume (6 apg) & as good as 46% on 7 apg with Reddick.

Rightfully, their coach is trying to space the paint as much as possible. I'm not saying Zion isn't good, are you telling me this doesn't benefit his post game?.

Yea, I'm saying teams are still attempting to crowd the paint. The Pels lineups are benefitting from Zion more than vice versa when he's out there.

But anyway, once a guy comes in here and starts making up excuses about why one guy is substantially more productive, that's when you know it's time to bail.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#2249 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:48 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:

Yea, I'm saying teams are still attempting to crowd the paint. The Pels lineups are benefitting from Zion more than vice versa when he's out there.

But anyway, once a guy comes in here and starts making up excuses about why one guy is substantially more productive, that's when you know it's time to bail.

Excuses, no. That's how I legitimately see their situations. When it comes down to it, I don't care about this award. This is purely my opinion.

& to prove it. You don't have to bail, this will be my last post in this thread/topic.
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#2250 » by Dacost » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:17 pm

clyde21 wrote:okay, we all agree it's Zion/Ja or Ja/Zion...maybe we should start talking about who's #3?

Clarke? Herro? Rui? Davis? PJ? Hayes? Mpj?

This is hard since all this guys are basically support type players that come from the bench or don't get enough touches or minutes.

I'll probably go with Clarke.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2251 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 pm

Dacost wrote:
clyde21 wrote:okay, we all agree it's Zion/Ja or Ja/Zion...maybe we should start talking about who's #3?

This is hard since all this guys are basically support type players that come from the bench or don't get enough touches or minutes.

Hayes is good and I’m glad we have him, but he’s definitely not been the 3rd best. Ton of bonehead mistakes to go with flashes.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#2252 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:56 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Dacost wrote:

Hayes is good and I’m glad we have him, but he’s definitely not been the 3rd best. Ton of bonehead mistakes to go with flashes.

Yup, super raw kid that is easy to see the potential with. But ya a ton of rookie mistakes with him (which should've been expected). Also with Zion back, I dont expect him to get too many minutes to finish up the season. He is down to just 8 minutes a game over the last 6 games while Meli is now getting 20+ minutes. Looks like the Pels rotation at the 5 for the rest of the season (assuming no injuries) is going to Favors/Meli/Zion.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2253 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:01 pm

His quickness and explosiveness is so impressive too, but his body strength makes him a mediocre rebounder, but it's good to see that he's already a fantastic finisher without the weight, he'll only get better there.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,247

Post#2254 » by sfernald » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:22 am

Ja fans just need to accept and deal with the fact that while Ja is a great young player, Zion is a potential all time great young player and he’s starting to show it with over 30 points in the last two games. And we should start to see the difference more and more as he gets his footing (news is he is just getting acclimated to the nba so we are in for a treat): stay tuned!
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#2255 » by drosereturn » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 am

sfernald wrote:Ja fans just need to accept and deal with the fact that while Ja is a great young player, Zion is a potential all time great young player and he’s starting to show it with over 30 points in the last two games. And we should start to see the difference more and more as he gets his footing (news is he is just getting acclimated to the nba so we are in for a treat): stay tuned!

ja's greatest strength is durability but if he gets 1 acl, its all over. Zion has the same risk so both are ticking bombs.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
OneTime86
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#2256 » by OneTime86 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:03 pm

Lowry lol

Read on Twitter
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,931

Post#2257 » by zimpy27 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:17 pm

OneTime86 wrote:Lowry lol

Read on Twitter

Booker hasn't aged
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,247

Post#2258 » by sfernald » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:47 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
sfernald wrote:Ja fans just need to accept and deal with the fact that while Ja is a great young player, Zion is a potential all time great young player and he’s starting to show it with over 30 points in the last two games. And we should start to see the difference more and more as he gets his footing (news is he is just getting acclimated to the nba so we are in for a treat): stay tuned!

ja's greatest strength is durability but if he gets 1 acl, its all over. Zion has the same risk so both are ticking bombs.

Man anyone in this game is one injury away from a ruined career. Just the way it goes. It could even happen to Lebron or Giannis tomorrow. We can’t worry too much about such things.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#2259 » by Marcus » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:52 pm

OneTime86 wrote:Lowry lol

Read on Twitter

not at all surprised lol
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Toby_White
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#2260 » by Toby_White » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:46 am

Showtime23 wrote:

So is everybody then!

Return to The General Board