ImageImageImage

Sixers Lineups Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Sixers Lineups Thread 

Post#1 » by 51X3RF4N » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:34 pm

I love to discuss the lineup, roster construction, etc. But I don't see a thread specifically dedicated to that. Is it cool if we make on and pin it? Doesn't have to be my post, can be redone in a nicer looking post.

Here is an example of what I would think the Thread could consist:

Here is my current take on the Sixers lineup/roster. Next to each player name is the amount of years they are signed, and then their age at the start of the season.

Big- Joel(4)(25)/Kyle(1)(29)
Al(4)(33)/Jonah(3)(23)

Wing- Tobias(5)(27)/Mike(2)(31)
Matisse(4)(22)/James(2)(29)
Furkan(2)(22)

Guard- Josh(3)(26)/Zhaire(3)(20)
Shake(4)(22)/Trey(1)(24)
Ben(6)(23)/Raul(1)(27)

I really view the left column of players as the main rotation. Joel, Al, Tobias, Matisse, Furkan, Josh, Shake, Ben. I included Shake because his recent play makes me think he will see more minutes.

Barring any trades, I see this as the playoff rotation. The right side is players who need to step up and become a bigger part of the rotation, or be upgraded through trade/buyout market.

Its pretty clear to me the Sixers could use Ben as a "big" behind Joel and Al, so I don't really see a major need to go get another big man. The biggest weakness looks to be on the wings, with 2 young guys who aren't playoff tested, and Tobias who can't do it all himself. I think if Mike and James don't step up, this area definitely needs a veteran boost.

As the trade deadline comes and goes, I'd like to update this and discuss it more.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Re: Sixers Lineups Thread 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Sat Feb 1, 2020 5:26 am

Almost all our guys have positive NetRtg.

We did the impossible this year, having a net positive line-up without Biid.

Our kinda deathball line-up is Al-Ben-Tobi-Kork-Ennis

Our starting line-up has a NetRtg of +15.7 in the 4th quarter.

Biggest need IMO is a more reliable option for Mike Scott. I recommend Morris Twins or Thad.

Biggest issue of this team is turning on the switch.

Biggest fear is not getting a home court advantage.

With a healthy roster and if Ben continues to play like this, i’d take us over any team in a 7 game series.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
strotorious
Ballboy
And1: 51

Post#3 » by strotorious » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:18 am

With the deadline passed I'll take a stab at this.

They wren't able to add a stretch 4, so I think the angle is to go back to a more traditional sized lineup by moving Harris to the 4 and Horford to the bench. When healthy Harris, Horford, and Embiid would get all the minutes at the 4 and 5 and the only time Horford and Embiid would be together is when Simmons is on the bench, instead surrounding the two big men with the best shooters we have. Keeping the current substitution patterns would lead to the following lineups being most common.

Simmons-Richardson-Korkmaz-Harris-Embiid to start and end each half
Simmons-Richardson-GR3-Harris-Horford in the middle of each quarter
Burks-Milton-Korkmaz-Horford-Embiid during the changeovers
76ciology
RealGM

Post#4 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:32 am

Let me tell you what’s gonna happen.

Sixers starting line-up will stay.

Burks and Josh Rich will pair with Biid.
Tobi and Al will pair with Ben.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#5 » by stormi » Fri Feb 7, 2020 6:20 am

Sign Reggie.
Move Al to the bench
Pray GR3 and Burks can continue doing what they've been doing and not be infested with the Philadelphia curse
Pray Joel snaps out of his funk

Ben / Jackson
Richardson / Burks
Robinson III / Thybulle
Harris (/Scott)
Embiid / Horford

9 man roto
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#6 » by LloydFree » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:29 pm

They won't do it, but as discussed before, if they just make Horford the 6th man, that would automatically clear up a lot of the issues. Start Tobias at PF and either Burks or Thybulle on the wing.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,803

Post#7 » by kriss73 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 8:18 pm

This is the best Sixers 5 men unit in terms of NETrtg (more than 30 minutes together)

----- A. Horford, .T. Harris, .J. Ennis III, .B. Simmons, .F. Korkmaz -> 19.6 (108 minutes)

This is our starting 5

----- A. Horford, .T. Harris, .J. Embiid, .J. Richardson, .B. Simmons -> 8.3 (240 minutes)

This is the best five man unit WITHOUT Horford (small sample size):

----- T. Harris, .M. Scott, .J. Embiid, .J. Richardson, .B. Simmons -> 13.5 (33 minutes)

The problem isn't the fit Ben-Jojo imho, is the fit Ben-Horford-Jojo

After the trade deadline, we need to replace Ennis in the Horford/Ben linep (I suppose RGIII) and I'd try to use Harris as a 4 with Burks to replace Scott in the Ben/Embiid linup.

For the future (next year), I'd try to trade Horford for a 3&D wing moving Harris at the 4.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#8 » by phillynative » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:19 pm

Shake(Burks)(Neto)
Ben(furkan)
Jrich(matisse)(GR3)
Tobi(Mike Scott)(GR3)
Embiid(Al Horford)(Pelle)
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 824

Post#9 » by Ferry Avenue » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:27 pm

kriss73 wrote:After the trade deadline, we need to replace Ennis in the Horford/Ben linep (I suppose RGIII) and I'd try to use Harris as a 4 with Burks to replace Scott in the Ben/Embiid linup.

Man now we're so bad we're considering football players....
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,803

Post#10 » by kriss73 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 4:50 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
kriss73 wrote:After the trade deadline, we need to replace Ennis in the Horford/Ben linep (I suppose RGIII) and I'd try to use Harris as a 4 with Burks to replace Scott in the Ben/Embiid linup.

Man now we're so bad we're considering football players....

LOL

In terms of health, RGIII could fit nice with our team :D
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#11 » by youngcrev » Sat Feb 8, 2020 8:59 pm

Moving Horford to the bench for a wing fixes a lot IMO (and seemingly most people's opinions at this point). The team is just too slow and clunky offensively with those guys fighting over post possessions. Still don't have a primary perimeter ball handling threat, but that's not something you can address at this point.

I flip flop between Korkmaz and Thybulle. I like that Thybulle is a low usage guy spot up shooter that can effect the game with his defense, but at this point I'm leaning towards getting your best shooter on the floor to help Ben and Jo out. Particularly when you've got JRich and Ben to defend the opposing teams best perimeter players. I have a hard time coming up with teams with a ton of threats that we'd have a tough time matching up with. Toronto I guess if you are going to put Ben on Pascal (who covers VanVleet?). Could be flexible with the 5th starter depending on matchup I guess.

I'd continue the Embiid/Simmons stagger, pushing the pace more heavily with Simmons and slowing things down more with Jo. Keeping the Simmons/Horford/Harris feels like a must. I'd be interested in seeing how a Horford/Jo/JRich with some combination of Korkmaz/Thybulle/Burks/GRIII could work.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,882

Post#12 » by Wilfried » Sat Feb 8, 2020 9:22 pm

The moment we signed Al Horford, I saw his role as a bench player (and insurance for Embiid's health problems).
I never, ever considered him a stretch 4, nor did I thought he was quick enough to guard 4's.

Think the experiment with him at the 4 could have worked IF Simmons was able (or prepared) to shoot the 3.
Now we know that's not the case, there's only 1 option and that's to remove Horford from the starting 5.

Think it's time to do what can benefit our team greatly:
1) move Tobias to the 4, insert Furkan to the starting line-up. Our shooting increases greatly
2) Improve our bench incredibly by adding Al. We could move from 28th in bench production to the top of the league in that regard, also because of the addition of Burks and GRIII

Simmons - Burks - Neto
Richardson - Thybulle
Korkmaz - GRIII
Harris - Scott
Embiid - Horford

We could still use an upgrade over Scott, if one is available on the waiver wire. But I don't see a certain player that could fit.
But because we have Tobias - Simmons - Horford for that position, we shouldn't be relying on Scott too much come play-off time I feel.

Would feel much better too if we could add Isaiah Thomas as a back-up PG (instead of Neto).
The addition of Burks and GRIII will mainly cut into Thybulle's minutes I guess
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by 51X3RF4N » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:05 am

I'm down with Horford on the bench and Harris at the 4. I've wanted that all along.

Here is where I stand as of today...

Embiid/Horford/Pelle
Harris/?????/Scott
Thybulle/Korkmaz/???
Richardson/Smith/???
Simmons/Shake/???

Shake playing backup PG would work because there aren't a lot of minutes anyhow but he has proven he can ball if given the chance. Richardson also would handle some PG stuff. I'd like to see Brett take Zhaire next year and do him like Korkmaz. Give him early season minutes to see if he flourishes or flounders. I think given another summer of development he could absolutely step into a bigger role next season.

I think areas of focus in the draft and free agency should be a backup stretch 4 and 3 deep bench prospects or vets at the 1, 2 and 3.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#14 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:09 am

Yup. Start Thybulle then sit Al.

Thybulle plays good defense and those deflections will lead to easy baskets for a fast start.

Then let Al, Burks and Korkmaz provide offensive firepower off the bench.

Then when the game slows down in late games, we put the best 5 man unit for that game on the floor. Most times, I’d expect it to be Al and our starting 5.

Another good thing that may come out of it is it will limit Biid and Al’s minutes. This will increase per minute productivity in theory.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#15 » by 76ciology » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:59 am

I’m looking at how the Raps offense is. And how effective Lowry is as a screener. And I realized the thing we’re missing is Jj’s screens. It’s something none of our replacements can’t replicate.

It’s not just a solid strong screen, but JJ as a screener allows Biid or Ben to get a steal ahead since Jj’s man is not going to switch with either Ben or Jojo.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#16 » by PhillyPhilly » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:09 am

51X3RF4N wrote:I'm down with Horford on the bench and Harris at the 4. I've wanted that all along.

Embiid/Horford/Pelle
Harris/?????/Scott
Thybulle/Korkmaz/???
Richardson/Smith/???
Simmons/Shake/???

Shake playing backup PG would work because there aren't a lot of minutes anyhow but he has proven he can ball if given the chance. Richardson also would handle some PG stuff. I'd like to see Brett take Zhaire next year and do him like Korkmaz. Give him early season minutes to see if he flourishes or flounders. I think given another summer of development he could absolutely step into a bigger role next season.

I think areas of focus in the draft and free agency should be a backup stretch 4 and 3 deep bench prospects or vets at the 1, 2 and 3.

Lol at folks acting like Glenn Robinson doesn't exist when he's most likely to replace Al In the starting five smh :lol: :lol: :lol:
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 51X3RF4N » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:55 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
51X3RF4N wrote:I'm down with Horford on the bench and Harris at the 4. I've wanted that all along.

Embiid/Horford/Pelle
Harris/?????/Scott
Thybulle/Korkmaz/???
Richardson/Smith/???
Simmons/Shake/???

Lol at folks acting like Glenn Robinson doesn't exist when he's most likely to replace Al In the starting five smh
My post was about the future. You notice I didn't include O'Quinn, Burks, or Neto in my lineup either.

I would absolutely put GR3 in the starting lineup for today, but for the future I don't expect to keep any guys who are on one year deals right now.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#18 » by Arsenal » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:07 pm

I do think long-term Thybulle may fit best as the 5th starter, the low usage 3&D archetype. Especially since the other 4 guys all need their touches.

The key is Thybulle NEEDS to get to at least Danny Green level on offense, which means much more volume shooting (mainly 3's), while keeping up the relatively high percentage he's at now (37.5%).

If that happens then Kork can be our 6th man and primary bench scorer going forward playing starters minutes.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#19 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Do we plan on using a full 10-man rotation in the playoffs? If not, who draws the short stick between Burks, Korkmaz, Thybulle, GR3 and Scott? I assume Shake is out of the regular rotation for good now.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#20 » by Arsenal » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:11 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Do we plan on using a full 10-man rotation in the playoffs? If not, who draws the short stick between Burks, Korkmaz, Thybulle, GR3 and Scott? I assume Shake is out of the regular rotation for good now.

Scott has to be the one to go. He's been terrible. As for the rest, it may depend on who is hot, ala the game against the Clips where Kork was cold so GRIII played more in the 2nd half.

I'd like to see a 9 man rotation in the playoffs.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers