Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Is Tatum a franchise player?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 467

chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,268

Re: Is Jayson Tatum a franchise player? 

Post#201 » by chrisab123 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 pm

GTR11 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:
No, obviously he's not a superstar right now. If you ask me if Tatum is a franchise player at the moment, then obviously the answer is no.

However, this is schadenfreude for the posters in this thread who are quick to not only say that, but also assert that Tatum was already at his ceiling. Moreover, he's already surpassed the "all star ceiling" that some capped on him. It's a pretty safe bet that he's going to continue making all stars and continue to improve at the age of 21.

People are mad because Celtics were supposed to take a step back and now are instead unleashed by losing their Vets in Kyire, Horford and Mook.

Also, people are mad the Celtics only missed the playoffs once in the last 12 years but were still able to get top 3 picks in talent in Brown and Tatum. And, they hit on the picks.

Celtics are gonna be a problem for a very long time.

Question was/is Jason Tatum franchise? As a poll says he's clearly not.
Will Celtics be legit contender? Is a different question. If Danny Ainge wanted to trade up for AD and few others why should we think/ believe this Celtics team is legit. Y'all Celtic fans acting like you butt hurt right now and grasping for relativity. Why won't you guys just fall back and let games show us what this team really is. You guys not even talking about how this team will be looking going forward and how much money y'all will have to work with.

There were also some polls that stated Boston was going to miss the playoffs this year. Polling results aren't the best way to start your argument. Is Tatum a franchise talent? Sure. Is he a franchise player yet? No. There is a distinct difference. If he closes that gap then yes he will be a franchise player but if he doesn't then he's still probably going to be a PG13 level star. You can still win with those players.
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#202 » by Dmagic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:52 pm

Probably is a franchise player. But Front office probably wondering the same question or are confirmed now after this stretch performance .
The question should be. Is it too soon to say concretely Jason Tatum will be a franchise player for at least 5 years? It's impossible to know but my personal guess Is: it seems like jason Tatum could be Great
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,101

Post#203 » by skones » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:59 pm

As far as franchise players in this league?

True Franchise Players:
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Lebron James
Kawhi Leonard
James Harden
Damian Lillard
Joel Embiid
Nikola Jokic
Luka Doncic

Fringe:
Paul George
Karl Anthony Towns
Anthony Davis
Trae Young

Could be:
Devin Booker
Brandon Ingram
Jayson Tatum
Pascal Siakam
Ja Morant
Zion Williamson
De'Aaron Fox
Shai Gilgeous Alexander
Jaren Jackson Jr.

Is he? No. Will he become one? I don't think it's out of the question, but given the way I see things, and how many guys are actually true franchise players? I wouldn't bet on it. If I left YOUR guy off of the could be list, bite me, it's not your list.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#204 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:22 pm

GTR11 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:
No, obviously he's not a superstar right now. If you ask me if Tatum is a franchise player at the moment, then obviously the answer is no.

However, this is schadenfreude for the posters in this thread who are quick to not only say that, but also assert that Tatum was already at his ceiling. Moreover, he's already surpassed the "all star ceiling" that some capped on him. It's a pretty safe bet that he's going to continue making all stars and continue to improve at the age of 21.

People are mad because Celtics were supposed to take a step back and now are instead unleashed by losing their Vets in Kyire, Horford and Mook.

Also, people are mad the Celtics only missed the playoffs once in the last 12 years but were still able to get top 3 picks in talent in Brown and Tatum. And, they hit on the picks.

Will Celtics be legit contender? Is a different question. If Danny Ainge wanted to trade up for AD and few others why should we think/ believe this Celtics team is legit. Y'all Celtic fans acting like you butt hurt right now and grasping for relativity. Why won't you guys just fall back and let games show us what this team really is. You guys not even talking about how this team will be looking going forward and how much money y'all will have to work with.

are you dense or just honestly overlooked the fact the poll was up and voted on 90% in Sept of this year. you know, the same month Mrdollarbills made his welched on bet with Nets/Celtics game and Prokorov said the only team clearly better than the nets this year are the bucks, and that the Celtics would be fighting the Hawks to be the 8th seed in the east.

Clearly, the majority of people who voted were wrong about a great many things and if they had to revote without bias today, would more likely vote yes.

And dude, using the results of a Realgm GB poll to support your side of an argument? PRICELESS!!!!!!!! lololololololololol
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,438

Post#205 » by ropjhk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:25 pm

To me franchise players are the guys whom you can expect a title run if you build out a decent supporting cast that caters to their needs. Franchise players are irreplaceable and are MVP candidates when their teams are contenders. Lose a franchise player and you might as well rebuild.

Tatum is the best player on a contender but he is a part of an ensemble cast of stars. If you remove Tatum from the Celtics they will still be a good team with a chance to retool. Tatum is not an MVP candidate, but I think he has the potential to become that type of player.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#206 » by jfs1000d » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:

There were also some polls that stated Boston was going to miss the playoffs this year. Polling results aren't the best way to start your argument. Is Tatum a franchise talent? Sure. Is he a franchise player yet? No. There is a distinct difference. If he closes that gap then yes he will be a franchise player but if he doesn't then he's still probably going to be a PG13 level star. You can still win with those players.

Tatum a franchise player. They are building around him right now. He's an alpha No. 1 scorer. He isn't near his prime yet and it's going to take awhile, but in 4 years I envision a top 10 nba player at around 25-28 PPG.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#207 » by StojkoVrankovic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Better than Kyrie Irving for sure
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Vampirate
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,615

Post#208 » by Vampirate » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:41 pm

There should be a 3rd option, which is 'possible, but not at this point in time'.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#209 » by jfs1000d » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:42 pm

ropjhk wrote:To me franchise players are the guys whom you can expect a title run if you build out a decent supporting cast that caters to their needs. Franchise players are irreplaceable and are MVP candidates when their teams are contenders. Lose a franchise player and you might as well rebuild.

Tatum is the best player on a contender but he is a part of an ensemble cast of stars. If you remove Tatum from the Celtics they will still be a good team with a chance to retool. Tatum is not an MVP candidate, but I think he has the potential to become that type of player.

So, Franchise players are LeBron, Giannis and who else?

Seriously.

Is Harden a franchise player? Westbrook?

You don't become a franchise player until you are a franchise player. I can totally see Tatum in MVP discussion and battling for first team all nba 5 years from now. He might have an ensemble team, but he is the straw that stirs the drink.
Lysdexic
Sophomore
And1: 219

Post#210 » by Lysdexic » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:43 pm

I don't know if I'd quite consider him to be "The Man" for a franchise but I could see him being a great second fiddle to someone who is ala Klay to KD/Curry, Parker to Duncan, Pippen to Jordan, Ray Allen to Pierce/KG, Bosh to Wade/Lebron.

My brother in law think he's the second coming of a healthy Grant Hill and given how smooth his game is to watch, I can definitely see that.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#211 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,343

Post#212 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:51 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
Why Indy? ... Oh, perhaps you think the current playoff seedings are set in stone.

Kind of yes I think it's pretty much done deal. Can't see Celtics getting that second seed and Indy still need to figure out how Dipo will progress. As a Celtic fan ( I assume ) you better hope it's Indy instead of Philly. If 6's really figuring it out right now they not the team anyone will be exited to face. They can upset any team imo and I won't be surprised if they do.

There a game behind Toronto 3 games up on Miami and 5 spots up over Philly. 2 seed very much in play and Philly has been so inconsistent how you can just say with confidence they’ll jump up high enough to play us is blind faith until proven otherwise.

Btw great call on the easy money bet of the clippers last night.

If you get information next time that Paul George is going to pull a hamstring so the Cs can win in double overtime again, please let us all know in advance!

He's played much better the last month and a half or so, that's for sure. Not sure that's the baseline, but we will see.
GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,784

Post#213 » by GiannisAnte34 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:53 pm

I'll happily label Jayson Tatum a Superstar, get ready to be held accountable to those expectations on a nightly basis
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#214 » by GTR11 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:

are you dense or just honestly overlooked the fact the poll was up and voted on 90% in Sept of this year. you know, the same month Mrdollarbills made his welched on bet with Nets/Celtics game and Prokorov said the only team clearly better than the nets this year are the bucks, and that the Celtics would be fighting the Hawks to be the 8th seed in the east.

Clearly, the majority of people who voted were wrong about a great many things and if they had to revote without bias today, would more likely vote yes.

And dude, using the results of a Realgm GB poll to support your side of an argument? PRICELESS!!!!!!!! lololololololololol

How are they wrong? :lol: if not for weak EC forward position Tatum most likely won't make an all star appearance, heck if KD would've been healthy he might not make it EC.
No didn't pay attention when it was posted. Just shows you that I didn't give a damn about your team. I also voted today should I prove that too.
I just voted this morning. Do I need to prove that too.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#215 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:12 pm

Ehhh looks like the next Rudy Gay. He’ll be lucky to be as good as Derozan too.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,409

Post#216 » by bisme37 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:38 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Read on Twitter

And held Kawhi to 1-6 shooting in the overtimes.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,409

Post#217 » by bisme37 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:42 pm

I answered "not yet" to this question at the start of the year but I'm updating my answer to "yes." He's already the best player on a 55+ win team and getting better by the minute.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,302

Post#218 » by HoopsterJones » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:48 pm

Last September, after a disappointing 2nd year with some regression it seemed like a probable no at that point.

After the past few months, he’s definitely on the right trajectory into becoming a franchise player.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#219 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:48 pm

He’s absolutely a franchise player. 21 yr old all star averaging 22/7/3 on 44/38/81 shooting. Not to mention being elite on the defensive end. In short, he’s untouchable for the Celtics.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,429

Post#220 » by Repeat 3-peat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:53 pm

If he isn't right now, he is on his way to being one. He's a flat out star, and one of my favorite players to watch.

Return to The General Board