ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Would you prefer a regular season from Christmas to late June and playoffs late June to late August?

Yes, move season back
73%
No, leave as is
27%

Total votes: 41

BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Re: 2019-20 Season Speculation, free agency, summer trades: The excitement of the trade deadline has passed! 

Post#781 » by BobbieL » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:24 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
timetoshinebaby wrote:Why will they trade him? Its the typical warning shot before demanding a trade. Yes, they have his rights blah blah but at the end of the day if he doesn't want to be there, it puts them in a position where they need to consider trading him or get thirty cents in the dollar in a year or two.

I think he will definitely be on the table. Do I think he could be interested in Phoenix? Yes. If you can pair a player of his ability with Ayton and Booker, I think its a potentially very nice threesome. Chuck in some possible Bridges, Johnson etc as role players and I think we have the potential to be a very scary team in the future.

The biggest question is what does he cost and thats the part where I get scared. I'd personally be happy to ship a lot of draft picks and take a swing.

He doesn't want to be in Denver? I haven't heard that. A very nice threesome? We are talking about Jerami Grant right? They PF who grabs 5 boards per 36? He is a nice 3 pt shooting, pretty good defensive big, but he's just a role player.
He's talking about Lauri.

You're not wrong on Grant. I like him but as you said he's a role player and there's absolutely a breaking point with him where it would be a bad contract.

But with Lauri he probably wants something like a max for an extension and if he doesn't take a leap that would be a bad deal too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

A guy who BWG mentions, Millsap - might be the smart play. Probably can get him on one year deal with an option. Maybe a bit above the MLE. All depends on if he wants the cash or a contender. Like you said, Grant or Markkanen - might not be getting what you pay for. Millsap - you have a good idea - very good idea!

Also, would allow plenty of cash to them still get a back up 2 guard.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Re: 2019-20 Season Speculation, free agency, summer trades: The excitement of the trade deadline has passed! 

Post#782 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:33 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
timetoshinebaby wrote:Why will they trade him? Its the typical warning shot before demanding a trade. Yes, they have his rights blah blah but at the end of the day if he doesn't want to be there, it puts them in a position where they need to consider trading him or get thirty cents in the dollar in a year or two.

I think he will definitely be on the table. Do I think he could be interested in Phoenix? Yes. If you can pair a player of his ability with Ayton and Booker, I think its a potentially very nice threesome. Chuck in some possible Bridges, Johnson etc as role players and I think we have the potential to be a very scary team in the future.

The biggest question is what does he cost and thats the part where I get scared. I'd personally be happy to ship a lot of draft picks and take a swing.

He doesn't want to be in Denver? I haven't heard that. A very nice threesome? We are talking about Jerami Grant right? They PF who grabs 5 boards per 36? He is a nice 3 pt shooting, pretty good defensive big, but he's just a role player.

You're not wrong on Grant. I like him but as you said he's a role player and there's absolutely a breaking point with him where it would be a bad contract.

But with Lauri he probably wants something like a max for an extension and if he doesn't take a leap that would be a bad deal too.

Yeah, after posting that I thought "maybe he was thinking about Markkanen when he wrote that" but when I responsed I probably only read Frank's first sentence in his quote and then the response. I also don't think Chicago would trade him for Saric and first this year though.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#783 » by ATTL » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:33 pm

Bridges has been so much better as a starter. His shot is coming around the last 10 games thanks to the coaches apparently.

Averaging 11,5,2.5,1.7 on 50/45/88 splits as a starter. Even better numbers in the last 10 games. He looks like hes turning in to the 3+D perfect complimentary player he projected to be.

I was never a big bridges backer but if he keeps this up I will happily eat my words.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#784 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:36 pm

BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

A guy who BWG mentions, Millsap - might be the smart play. Probably can get him on one year deal with an option. Maybe a bit above the MLE. All depends on if he wants the cash or a contender. Like you said, Grant or Markkanen - might not be getting what you pay for. Millsap - you have a good idea - very good idea!

People have said he will want to go to a contender, but I can't really find one that I think would want him. Maybe back to Utah, but that's maybe it. I think he'd just be a good leadership vet and hopefully we have a young PF that could learn from him.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#785 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Sure I'd be cool with Milsap. If they really want to try in FA the summer of 21 then loading up a nice one year deal for Paul could make sense.

Now Milsap has made a good amount of money in his career and the end is certainly near so he might even be in take a super cheap deal to ring chase mode. But worth making a call to see if he wants one more good check.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#786 » by BobbieL » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:He's talking about Lauri.

People have said he will want to go to a contender, but I can't really find one that I think would want him. Maybe back to Utah, but that's maybe it. I think he'd just be a good leadership vet and hopefully we have a young PF that could learn fro him.

I guess a concern could be does it game drop off as he ages. But - if his role is identified: bench guy, maybe 20-24mpg, and just be Paul Millsap -- could be a fit with a younger PF. Good leadership but the team needs more than leadership off the bench - they need some consistency.
Barkley6
Veteran
And1: 2,405

Post#787 » by Barkley6 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 pm

I gotta think that the Bulls would go for Saric+2020 1st+2022 1st for Markkanen. Giving them two picks and a serviceable player for a guy who has played well and flashed potential, but hasn't been anywhere near dominant and is looking like he wants out is a good move. Especially if Chicago is trying to clear space for 2021 Markkanen is going to be demanding WAY bigger money than what they'd pay Saric.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#788 » by BobbieL » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:19 pm

Barkley6 wrote:I gotta think that the Bulls would go for Saric+2020 1st+2022 1st for Markkanen. Giving them two picks and a serviceable player for a guy who has played well and flashed potential, but hasn't been anywhere near dominant and is looking like he wants out is a good move. Especially if Chicago is trying to clear space for 2021 Markkanen is going to be demanding WAY bigger money than what they'd pay Saric.

It would have to be a sign / trade. And second, the Bulls are pretty well set up for cap space in the summer of 2021. Young and Sato have player options; Porter is a FA and so is Felicio. The bulls do a LM trade to get assets back for a player they do not want to pay long term. Not cap space.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#789 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:21 pm

BobbieL wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

People have said he will want to go to a contender, but I can't really find one that I think would want him. Maybe back to Utah, but that's maybe it. I think he'd just be a good leadership vet and hopefully we have a young PF that could learn fro him.

I guess a concern could be does it game drop off as he ages. But - if his role is identified: bench guy, maybe 20-24mpg, and just be Paul Millsap -- could be a fit with a younger PF. Good leadership but the team needs more than leadership off the bench - they need some consistency.

He could drop off, which is why I mentioned 1 year....but he also still is 2nd in DRPM and shoots over 41% from 3. Still a very solid player right now, and was always underrated and overlooked and a very hard worker who just continued to get better and better and hopefully could explain that work ethic he put into to guys like Ayton and others. He has also been a pretty good passing PF throughout his career.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#790 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 pm

Barkley6 wrote:I gotta think that the Bulls would go for Saric+2020 1st+2022 1st for Markkanen. Giving them two picks and a serviceable player for a guy who has played well and flashed potential, but hasn't been anywhere near dominant and is looking like he wants out is a good move. Especially if Chicago is trying to clear space for 2021 Markkanen is going to be demanding WAY bigger money than what they'd pay Saric.

So are you aware that they like Saric? Or just assuming he is the type of PF they are looking for? I think a team like the Bulls isn't going to be enamored with picks and feels like they need to take the next step to the playoffs next year.

I kind of would be surprised if they didn't fire their coach and bring in someone else, and if they thought Markkanen was going to take the QO or something midway through next year, might trade him, but I'll be pretty surprised if they traded him. I haven't heard or read anything about them considering it.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#791 » by LukasBMW » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:41 pm

I'd rather have Markkanen then AG.

I might even give up Ourbre for him.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,502

Post#792 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:03 am

Mr Puddles wrote:If the opportunity arises, would you trade Ricky Rubio for Lonzo Ball?

Ball has some glaring weaknesses but his 3 point percentage is actually the same as Booker this year (36%), on higher volume (6 attempts). He's also only 22 years old and his shooting has gotten better over the years.

I actually think he'd be a really nice fit.

At this stage, I would say no. Totally get your point about improving shooting and the defense but the playmaking nuance still isn't there. He's an amazing passer in the open court but when it comes to half court, I think he's still lacking that ability to create offense for the team.

Swapping Rubio for Ball would mean we're going to see more Booker handling the ball and given what we've seen this year off the ball, I think I'd prefer it if Booker continued to improve off the ball.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
IzzyT
Junior
And1: 427

Post#793 » by IzzyT » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:03 am

I would do Lonzo for Ricky without thinking assuming we are in a vacuum. You’re talking about one of the best perimeter defenders in the entire league who has actually shot better than Rubio this year anyway. Lonzo has all the tools and is still an elite prospect, IMO. He’s literally several tiers above of Rubio in terms of raw tools. I think Ricky will be a negative asset in 1-2 years.
chaplin1
Ballboy
And1: 44

Post#794 » by chaplin1 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:09 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
chaplin1 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:With the talk of adding a starting PF, who in our starting lineup would we move to the bench at this point?

Oubre has been playing great, but Bridges is improving and really starting to come into his own as the player we were hoping he'd be - he also seems to be a better fit with the starters than off the bench.

I would prefer to have a PF over starting two small forwards, but I can't really think of a PF who we can realistically attain and is good enough to push one of these guys out of the starting line up.

I look at it this way: If Dario replaced Bridges in the starting lineup and had the exact same statline, would we all be satisfied? I would say emphatically, "NO". So I think Bridges is the obvious guy we would replace in the starting lineup. He has improved, but if his statline isn't impressive enough to apply to our other PF players, then he's expendable as a starter.

Conversely, if you replace Oubre with Dario and apply Oubre's statline to him, I think we'd all be a lot happier.
Bridges has been outstanding the past month or so.

I think we just need to let this 5 man starting lineup play out these next 30 games. In limited sample size so far they are killing teams. Now it's not a big enough sample yet to draw any sweeping conclusions but if this lineup continues on the pace they are right now it would be incredibly foolish to ignore the data and mess with it just because it seems like they need a more traditional PF.

Oh, I agree. By all means, keep this starting lineup. But the question was IF we addressed the starting PF position, who would be expendable to move to the bench.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,378

Post#795 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:14 am

Mr Puddles wrote:With the talk of adding a starting PF, who in our starting lineup would we move to the bench at this point?

Oubre has been playing great, but Bridges is improving and really starting to come into his own as the player we were hoping he'd be - he also seems to be a better fit with the starters than off the bench.

I would prefer to have a PF over starting two small forwards, but I can't really think of a PF who we can realistically attain and is good enough to push one of these guys out of the starting line up.

I'd still prefer Bjelica for around 8 million or so. He's a huge upgrade as a floor spacing big, He's what we hoped that Saric would be, But isn't. And then as a backup, Maybe Markieff Morris or Christian Wood. .................

Saric can walk honestly.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,974

Post#796 » by Mr Puddles » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:30 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:

I'd still prefer Bjelica for around 8 million or so. He's a huge upgrade as a floor spacing big, He's what we hoped that Saric would be, But isn't. And then as a backup, Maybe Markieff Morris or Christian Wood. .................

Saric can walk honestly.

I'd love Bjelica and believe I was one of the first around here to lobby for him, but unless he has a player option isn't he still under contract for the next two years? Would love it if the suns tried to explore a trade for him though.
Spoiler:
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,974

Post#797 » by Mr Puddles » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:33 am

If we're in the lottery this year, how high a pick would you be willing to give up for Markannen?

E. G. Any pick after the 5th pick, any pick after #8 etc.

Ofcourse it depends on what players are still available so caveats could be added (E.g. Any pick after #8 unless Haliburton is still on the board etc. )
Spoiler:
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,092

Post#798 » by Frank Lee » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:39 am

Come on DeKleine.... just cut it out with the MoBro love. It aint happening.
And Milsap is nothing but a minute stealing bandaid.
What ? Me Worry ?
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#799 » by ATTL » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:51 am

LukasBMW wrote:I'd rather have Markkanen then AG.

I might even give up Ourbre for him.

I don't know what's wrong with lauri this year but I would trade kelly for him. Idk if hes sulking because he wants out, coaching, teammates but hes better than this.

I didn't like him coming out but hes surprised me.

For the bulls I think Carter is a 4 so the trade might make sense for them too.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,378

Post#800 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:13 am

Frank Lee wrote:Come on DeKleine.... just cut it out with the MoBro love. It aint happening.
And Milsap is nothing but a minute stealing bandaid.

Maybe not, But I just like the fact that for around 6 million, We might be able to get a 6'10 physical 4 that IS still shooting close to 40%. And slthough I'm not particularly fond of either Morri, My small hope is that their time apart might have added a modicum of maturity to his game and more importantly, his demeanor.

Having said that, As long as we get Bjelica, Grant, or maybe Ibaka( somehow) to replace Saric as our starting 4, I'll be content man. :D

** And of course pursue Christian Wood too. :wink:

Return to Phoenix Suns