Should GOAT be a generational thing?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,395

Re: Should GOAT be a generational thing? 

Post#41 » by TheNG » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:30 pm

picko wrote:Splitting it by decade is silly.

There have been five players who have stood above all others, for long periods, in their era. Others have been the best for a year or two, or top five, but have no legitimate argument.

Mikan, Russell, Kareem, Jordan and LeBron.

If you subscribe to the idea that the league has changed too much direct comparisons - and it probably has - then these are the guys. The generational GOATs.

Yeah, LeBron really stood above all others, letting Duncan, Kobe and Curry take multiple rings during his career :banghead:
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
MavfanAus
Analyst
And1: 2,302

Post#42 » by MavfanAus » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:59 pm

Haha it's simply not realgm without the weekly discussion of GOATS and other farm animals.
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#43 » by DS17 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:00 pm

GrindCityHustle wrote:Since the game changes so much and is so different than what it even was in the 80s we should bestoy GOAT as a generational thing or even for a 10 year period?

50-George Mikan
60s Wilt and Bill
70s Dr J and Kareem
80s Magic Johnson and Larry Bird
90s Michael Jordan
00s Kobe Bryant
10s LeBron
20s-?

Yes it should be. We gotta stop comparing and start appreciating.

Would this be the best format going forward or should there always be one GOAT? I feel some eras even have a dual goat.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,411

Post#44 » by picko » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:34 pm

TheNG wrote:
picko wrote:Splitting it by decade is silly.

There have been five players who have stood above all others, for long periods, in their era. Others have been the best for a year or two, or top five, but have no legitimate argument.

Mikan, Russell, Kareem, Jordan and LeBron.

If you subscribe to the idea that the league has changed too much direct comparisons - and it probably has - then these are the guys. The generational GOATs.

Yeah, LeBron really stood above all others, letting Duncan, Kobe and Curry take multiple rings during his career :banghead:

This may be a little too nuanced for the 'ringz!' brigade. This is a discussion of players not teams. The distinction is subtle, I know.
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,549

Post#45 » by Meeksology » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:34 am

GOAT literally means Greatest Of ALL TIME.

Sent from my SM-N950W using RealGM mobile app
ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Post#46 » by ReaLiez » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:51 am

I have Tiers
GOAT Tier
KAJ MJ LBJ

Best of the Rest
Russ Wilt Magic Bird Shaq Hakeem Duncan Kobe

Legends of the Game
West Dr J KG Oscar Karl Malone

I might be missing someone but off the top of my head all these players are interchangeable in their tiers
Justice
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,048

Post#47 » by Lalouie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:43 am

it just falls that way. no need to fiddle with it although it would be good to let all the goats SHARE the stage, as it should be
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#48 » by Ferulci » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:45 am

Why is it so hard to accept? Your boy Lebron ain't the GOAT.
You must let it go.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,048

Post#49 » by Lalouie » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:48 am

ReaLiez wrote:I have Tiers
GOAT Tier
KAJ MJ LBJ

Best of the Rest
Russ Wilt Magic Bird Shaq Hakeem Duncan Kobe

Legends of the Game
West Dr J KG Oscar Karl Malone

I might be missing someone but off the top of my head all these players are interchangeable in their tiers

first of all it's RUSSELL not russ as in westbrook. bill russell was never "RUSS"

I like the selections but I don't like the categorization of them. magic and bird brought something lebron never gave, and each imparts his stamp on the game
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#50 » by SecondTake » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:54 am

'All time' is kind of in the acronym.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,643

Post#51 » by nzahir » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:02 am

OdomFan wrote:Idk cause there's no clear cut Best of them all for some of those decades.

For the 10s Lebron gets majority of the votes but some may say Curry (I don't agree), Durant (eh)

00s Some say Kobe, some say Shaq, and Duncan

The 90s It's MJ at the top for sure.

For the 80s both Magic and Bird have a legit case.

For the 70s Kareem is pretty much unanimous but Dr J would have a case if he wasn't in the ABA for some of that time.

For 60s There's Russell and Wilt. Wilt for his individual gifts and accomplishment, and Russell for anchoring a great defense and leading Boston to the 11 championships.

This is why MJ is the Greatest of All Time to me. He had no peer on the Mountain top of that decade with him, but he alongside Pippen consistently denied all those Hall of Fame Worthy guys from grabbing a single championship throughout that time.

In what world does 0 fmvps compare to 3 fmvps?
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,619

Post#52 » by OdomFan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:19 am

nzahir wrote:
OdomFan wrote:Idk cause there's no clear cut Best of them all for some of those decades.

For the 10s Lebron gets majority of the votes but some may say Curry (I don't agree), Durant (eh)

00s Some say Kobe, some say Shaq, and Duncan

The 90s It's MJ at the top for sure.

For the 80s both Magic and Bird have a legit case.

For the 70s Kareem is pretty much unanimous but Dr J would have a case if he wasn't in the ABA for some of that time.

For 60s There's Russell and Wilt. Wilt for his individual gifts and accomplishment, and Russell for anchoring a great defense and leading Boston to the 11 championships.

This is why MJ is the Greatest of All Time to me. He had no peer on the Mountain top of that decade with him, but he alongside Pippen consistently denied all those Hall of Fame Worthy guys from grabbing a single championship throughout that time.

In what world does 0 fmvps compare to 3 fmvps?

Ask the people who say it.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,785

Post#53 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:23 am

Greatest of "ALL TIME" means by definition that it isn't generational. If you want to invent a new phrase: GOHG (greatest of his generation), be my guest.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,619

Post#54 » by OdomFan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:45 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Greatest of "ALL TIME" means by definition that it isn't generational. If you want to invent a new phrase: GOHG (greatest of his generation), be my guest.

The Google - Greatest of our generation's league elite.
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 705

Post#55 » by pwayknicks » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:02 am

Should be goat relative to their peers which is why mj gets it . Lebron the better talent, but training, medicine , technology that didn’t exist when Jordan played is just as big a reason.

If you compare vs their peers relative across no1 dominated their peers the way mj did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#56 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:04 am

Lebron probably celebrated with less gambling, (drinking?), and cigars then MJ. I will say that for the man.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#57 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:22 am

GOAD- greatest of a decade
Forum permissions