Beal should demand a trade

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Re: Beal should demand a trade 

Post#21 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:32 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:Good to see the responses in this thread.

Hate to see how some fans don't care to see loyalty in the NBA.

When players do that they are accused of being greedy and only caring about money.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#22 » by Optms » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:33 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:He's gotten them in spitting distance of the eighth seed.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

That's because he's actually a star player who can impact a teams W/L record. Not like some stat padders on trash teams that I won't mention. Would love him on the Lakers.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#23 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:33 pm

It’s coming within 16 months either way. He’s not staying in Washington and I don’t mean that as a knock on Washington as it’s a great place to live but he’s not gonna win there and I don’t being a 6th seed and 1st round out or 2nd if everything turns out and some luck is what he defines as success
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#24 » by AbeVigodaLive » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:42 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:

When players do that they are accused of being greedy and only caring about money.

And accused of being stupid...

In the end, it can cost them. Some voters even refuse to vote for guys for awards if they're on lousy teams.

The NBA's TMZ quest is in full force.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#25 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Optms wrote:

That's because he's actually a star player who can impact a teams W/L record. Not like some stat padders on trash teams that I won't mention. Would love him on the Lakers.

The Wizards are a trash team. And whats worse is they dont really know it. I think Beal is a good player though as I believe you were trying to say. My thing is if he wants to get traded I doubt he wants to get traded to a non contender and idk too many playoff teams with the assets to get him. Maybe Celtics if they do bad in the playoffs they got the picks. Philly maybe if this all implodes. Or maybe a team on the verge....could Beal entice them to create a big? Actually as I prepare this I'm realizing the market ain't that bad.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#26 » by Metallikid » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:32 pm

Don't be surprised if next season John Wall and Bradley Beal and on the Thunder.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,863

Post#27 » by Tacoma » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:37 pm

deneem4 wrote:

I agree

He hasn’t spoken at all about wanting to the leave the team...is actually trying to stay loyal and build with the wizards

And fans want him to pull a Paul George etc

There's no proof of loyalty or lack thereof either way. Beal signed a a two-year, $72 million contract extension that begins in the 2021-22 season with a player option for 2022-23 that makes him ineligible to be traded until after this season. If he stays the 2 years, he'll be eligible for a supermax contract with Washington at $266 million over 5 years or a inferior 4-year $198 million deal if he signs elsewhere. That's $68 million dollars less to sign with another team.

So: (1) it's pointless to demand a trade knowing he can't be traded; and (2) after this season, if he believes he's a supermax candidate, then why would he leave $68 million on the table by demanding a trade beforehand?
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#28 » by NBAFan93 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:42 pm

Trade deadline for this year has passed, and Wall will be back next season. When Wall and Beal were healthy, the Wizards were pretty good. Not sure why they need to be bad next season and that takes away the need for the trade demand.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#29 » by AbeVigodaLive » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:45 pm

Tacoma wrote:
deneem4 wrote:

I agree

He hasn’t spoken at all about wanting to the leave the team...is actually trying to stay loyal and build with the wizards

And fans want him to pull a Paul George etc

There's no proof of loyalty or lack thereof either way. Beal signed a a two-year, $72 million contract extension that begins in the 2021-22 season with a player option for 2022-23 that makes him ineligible to be traded until after this season. If he stays the 2 years, he'll be eligible for a supermax contract with Washington at $266 million over 5 years or a inferior 4-year $198 million deal if he signs elsewhere. That's $68 million dollars less to sign with another team.

So: (1) it's pointless to demand a trade knowing he can't be traded; and (2) after this season, if he believes he's a supermax candidate, then why would he leave $68 million on the table by demanding a trade beforehand?

A lot of assumptions either way...

But what we do know... Beal hasn't requested a trade. So in the spirit of pro sports fandom... it's one of those rare opportunities to run with loyalty. So I'm gonna go with that instead of assuming literally every single player and ownership group are mercenaries who don't really care about loyalty.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#30 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:52 pm

Optms wrote:

Dont they have a better record without him and doesn't he have an awful On/Off and horrible advanced metrics? I haven't watched that many Wizards games this year so Im not saying you're wrong. Im just wondering what makes him different than other "stat padders"?
daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Post#31 » by daswunderboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Lost Angel wrote:Hate to see a prime, top AG waste away in Washington D.C.

Where do you want to see him play?

He’d be great in Philly. Something around Tobias + Josh Richardson? Crazy money but Washington would have a more complete team with Wall, Harris, JRich.

Beal shouldn't have signed a contract this year. Like he didn't know the team was trash.
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#32 » by abark » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:43 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:He just signed an extension. He’s literally not even eligible to be traded by league rules until the summer.

Noone is available to be traded till next summer
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,960

Post#33 » by Phreak50 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:56 pm

The very best players got over their hurdles with persistence and hard work.

How many different teams have won it all in the last decade or even two decades?

It's a very select few.

The closest thing these 'good, not great' players will get to a guaranteed success is joining a superteam and we all know how that worked out for Durant.

The 'I want it all, I want it now' attitude is not a good one to have.

Even the other day Scottie Pippen asked Trae Young how long can he handle losing and he gave an entitled answer.

Similarly, front offices give up on their young players too quickly as well (many regret it I'm sure).

Work hard, build a culture, build a winner. Don't cry until you get sent to one.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,898

Post#34 » by HMFFL » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:05 pm

JB2 wrote:Demand a max then demand a trade
It's a thing to do.
We shall see if Beal does and same with Kat.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,442

Post#35 » by NYKnickerbocker » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Maybe he likes DC people lol. Leave em alone. I’m happy not every player has this burning desire to jump ship once the waters get a lil murky, and in beals case the ship be sinking lol. He’s in it for the long haul apparently.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#36 » by Pinkyring » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:14 pm

Optms wrote:

Yep, star player with a negative rpm and on track to 28 wins after 32 wins last season while playing every game, definition of empty stats
Brofessor24
Sixth Man
And1: 888

Post#37 » by Brofessor24 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:52 pm

I personally would have zero problem with him requesting a trade. Trade requests don't offend me.

He doesn't owe DC his entire career IMO.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#38 » by gambitx777 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:41 am

Being from the area ish there are some really nice places to live around here. I'm pretty sure his wife is from pretty close to DC if I'm not mistaken. Rumor was she definitely didn't wanna leave. Happy wife happy life,getting paid and treated like the king of the city really doesn't hurt either. And they arnt that bad **** they are in the play off hunt and half their starters missed half the season and wall isn't even back yet. This offence if good and if they are healthy and winning some games he's gonna be perfectly happy here.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,403

Post#39 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:36 am

If Beal brings his defensive RPM up to average, then I will acquiesce and allow him to be traded.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#40 » by Spens1 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:54 am

He knew they where horrible yet he still signed the extension (bad wall partnership and all) so I think he's committed.

Sent from my CPH1877 using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board