ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Toronto sport radio ready for a dedicated daily basketball show?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,476

Re: Is Toronto sport radio ready for a dedicated daily basketball show? 

Post#41 » by Bankai » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:40 pm

Hoops and those Basketball shows with Sherm, Jonsie and Norma Wick were the best. Too bad they got cancelled.
Scott Hall wrote:Yeah can't remember the last time I listened to radio...

Also why did the Fan 590 ever get rid of Hoops? Still to bad longtime caller Raptorize John never got to see the Chip

I remember after people found out that Raptorize Jon passed away, his Son Raptorize Evan went on the show and poured his love for the Raptors and his dad. It was heartwarming. When Hoops was still aired live on Sportsnet and Raptors TV
RaptorsNorth
RealGM
And1: 13,757

Post#42 » by RaptorsNorth » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:50 pm

TorontoBaller wrote:I turn on the radio and check 590 and 1050

If they're talking pucks I turn on music.

Sometimes they talk nba... but it's seldom.
if they’re talking pucks ? If ? They’re always talking pucks on the fan590. Sometimes they talk jays but it’s 80% puck talk even in the summer when no hockey is playing. I have no clue why they’re talking pucks in summer smh Nothing is going on man smh. No wonder SAS said what he said about Toronto sports media. It’s like man give me something else!!! They need to start hiring people that cover different sports but then again the issue is the program directors! Can we have one sports network in this country that’s not run by a puckhead that you don’t have to pay extra money for ? smh just one!! There‘s like 6 different hockey shows in the summer that’s recapping what happen during the hockey season in mid august smh it’s break time man, it’s the offseason. Why are you talking hockey in mid august. It’s hot as hell outside smh the funny thing is sometimes they’re not even talking about Canadian teams. You think the guys covering hockey in Chicago are taking about Canadian hockey teams ? I don’t care about the Blackhawks and the devils are doing man smh why the f.. are you on Toronto radio in mid august talking about a hockey team in Nashville ? smh you think they’re talking about the leafs, Canadians, sens, cunucks, oilers, flames or any other Canadian team there ? They’re not! I don’t wanna hear what some hockey team in Florida is doing in mid august. These guys are ranting on a Canadian hockey show about the coyotes ? If those guys that cover hockey in places like Florida were talking about some Canadian hockey team on a sports show for hours. Do you think the fans in Florida wouldn’t call in and tell them to shut the f... up about that Canadian hockey team ? Lets be real here guys.. you’re in mid august talking about the panthers, Nashville, Colorado.. those guys over there that cover hockey wouldn’t dear talk about a Canadian team for more 2 minutes before Americans start calling in to tell them to shut the f... up.
“Elephant in the room : Nick Thibodeau” Board member seanbig :lol: :lol: :lol:

"THEY'RE SAYING US AND GOLDEN STATE ARE THE SUPER TEAMS" Knicks PG Derrick Rose :lol:
GED Education
General Manager
And1: 9,872

Post#43 » by GED Education » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:58 pm

NeoDragonKnight wrote:When Chuck Swirsky had his show, he would talk a ton on basketball. Too bad when he left they never really hired another basketball host.

Also why did the Fan 590 ever get rid of Hoops? Still to bad longtime caller Raptorize John never got to see the Chip

I remember Raptorized John, great fan that was pretty laid back and not negatively emotional like most Raptors fans, what happened to him?

He passed away. I remember his son came on and spoke to Eric Smith. He had been in poor health.
TorontoBaller
Analyst
And1: 1,385

Post#44 » by TorontoBaller » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:17 pm

RaptorsNorth wrote:
TorontoBaller wrote:I turn on the radio and check 590 and 1050

If they're talking pucks I turn on music.

Sometimes they talk nba... but it's seldom.
if they’re talking pucks ? If ? They’re always talking pucks on the fan590. Sometimes they talk jays but it’s 80% puck talk even in the summer when no hockey is playing. I have no clue why they’re talking pucks in summer smh Nothing is going on man smh. No wonder SAS said what he said about Toronto sports media. It’s like man give me something else!!! They need to start hiring people that cover different sports but then again the issue is the program directors! Can we have one sports network in this country that’s not run by a puckhead that you don’t have to pay extra money for ? smh just one!! There‘s like 6 different hockey shows in the summer that’s recapping what happen during the hockey season in mid august smh it’s break time man, it’s the offseason. Why are you talking hockey in mid august. It’s hot as hell outside smh the funny thing is sometimes they’re not even talking about Canadian teams. You think the guys covering hockey in Chicago are taking about Canadian hockey teams ? I don’t care about the Blackhawks and the devils are doing man smh why the f.. are you on Toronto radio in mid august talking about a hockey team in Nashville ? smh you think they’re talking about the leafs, Canadians, sens, cunucks, oilers, flames or any other Canadian team there ? They’re not! I don’t wanna hear what some hockey team in Florida is doing in mid august.

PREACH!!!!
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,570

Post#45 » by NeoDragonKnight » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:27 pm

GED Education wrote:
NeoDragonKnight wrote:When Chuck Swirsky had his show, he would talk a ton on basketball. Too bad when he left they never really hired another basketball host.

I remember Raptorized John, great fan that was pretty laid back and not negatively emotional like most Raptors fans, what happened to him?

He passed away. I remember his son came on and spoke to Eric Smith. He had been in poor health.

Damn thats sad, RIP.
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#46 » by SHFT » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:27 pm

Zeno wrote:
SHFT wrote:We definitely do but I personally dont care what Rogers and Bell employees are going to say about their own team lol. IMO it would be more tunnel vision than a potentially biased fan doing a podcast actually trying to present something unbiased. Employees of the corportation will always toe the line.

Right now it doesnt matter to me because a 15 game streak deserves a ton of praise but before in the Lowry / Demar era we had glaring holes about our franchise guy. Employees for TSN and Sportsnet are never going to call that out (obviously) and it strings the fans along.

Imo its the one drawback of Rogers / Bell owning the team. They own the media they can print and say whatever they want. (To be clear i like them as owners, cant have everything)

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app
I’m not a Leafs fan, but is that really the case, whenever I actually turn on the radio and hear them talking Leafs they seem overwhelmingly negative. Watching on NBA league pass, some basketball broadcasts are definitely selling something. You can definitely feel the team influencing the broadcasts. Ours is not excluded from this though not the worst. But on radio, it seems more arms length with Tim and Sid for example or Jd Bunkis and Donovan Bennett.

Cant compare it to the Leafs because idc but when I did religiously follow our own media about our team, it was always positive. Even when we were terrible, just trying to take whatever positive they could and run with it. Probably why I thought Sonny Weems was the next goat, Bargnani was the next Dirk, and every single year when we were actually crap, I thought if "x" and "y" lined up and if "a" just became "b" we are going to make some NOISE because that is what I would hear constantly.

Now that Im older its easier for me to see clearly but the young fans have no idea.

Again, I get why. Things like that are meant for the casual fans because the hardcores either already know about it OR they can objectively counter whatever the segment is covering. You wont hear a show on the radio talking basketball analytics (which would be dope) because it would have tiny following.
digitalallstar
Senior
And1: 321

Post#47 » by digitalallstar » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:42 pm

wow09 wrote:It's 2020 and we are discussing AM radio?
There's just a different charm to short, live broadcast formats that just don't come through on a podcast. It's not better. Just different.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Beets, bears, Battlestar Galactica.
bozothepope
Sixth Man
And1: 4,217

Post#48 » by bozothepope » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:48 pm

batman54 wrote:What really irks me though, is that on the nights when the Raptors and Leafs play at the same time, if the Raptors game is on Fan 590, there is no post game show for the Raptors.
On those nights BOTH sports networks, TSN 1010 and Sportsnet Fan 590, have a LEAFS post game show. :crazy:
That drives me crazy. :banghead:

I've noticed this too. It's ridiculous.
digitalallstar
Senior
And1: 321

Post#49 » by digitalallstar » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:30 pm

Beets, bears, Battlestar Galactica.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#50 » by J-Roc » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:26 pm

Run it Back with Alex Wong and Will Lou. It was good with Kayla Grey yesterday. Plenty of content around.

Speaking of TSN1050, I leave work at 5pm and at that time it's always going to be Ray Ferraro talking hockey. So I don't bother tuning in.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#51 » by Ado05 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:59 pm

Who still listens to the radio?

Just listen to a podcast.
Raptaz
Starter
And1: 2,400

Post#52 » by Raptaz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:50 pm

Lol kinda related, I get annoyed when I see plugs for nhl game instead of basketball games. Lol
nuggett
Rookie
And1: 897

Post#53 » by nuggett » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:32 am

Morning Radio is now abysmal. I used to like listening to it, but Ziggy/Ashley my lord makes my ears bleed.

Good Show always talks hoops, and not just the Raptors. As well as Tim and Sid.

All other shows are absolutely unlstenable.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#54 » by will » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:04 pm

Nah, son.

Podcasts got this game on lock.

Toronto sports radio is irrelevant.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,485

Post#55 » by YelloC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:19 pm

Hockey talk radio in Canada is like a form of social security. The amount of people that are paid to sit on their butts and talk/produce hockey content is absurd. It’s as if they’ve never heard of a redundancy unless it involves the makeup of an NHL roster.
MikeMars
Junior
And1: 151

Post#56 » by MikeMars » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:27 pm

No podcats, this is a city and int the city theres millions of people driving listening to the radio and getting shafted with the blue jays radio network. Raptors organization should be raising hell, letting a competing sport use Toronto's sports radio to sell their product while snubbing everything else. This isnt a puckhead station, ive heard pucksheads complain about the same thing, this is Rogers radio and they own a baseball team and they hired baseball guys to talk casual about other sports so this is why it sucks. They only put in a hockey show because leafs diehards were complaining. I was kind of dissappointed because it made me realize raptors die hards werent complaining. But in the end you dont want them to bring it to you anyway.
makeready
Senior
And1: 1,222

Post#57 » by makeready » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:30 pm

will lou is your man, dude files postgame podcasts even when he's on vacation.

i get what you're saying about podcasts not being as convenient as the radio though. I feel like this is a good problem for car stereo manufacturers to solve - your car should auto sync your podcasts for you
AreBe
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,472

Post#58 » by AreBe » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:30 pm

I've come up with a little badly constituted Haiku to describe Toronto sports radio:

Hockey, Hockey, Hawk
Winter, Leafs, Leafs, Leafs, Leafs, Leafs
590, 1050, Ah!
Holy Moses! Take a look! Flesh decayed in every nook! Some rare bits of brain lie here, Mortal loads of beef and beer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_McKittrick_Ros
sewerfrosh
Junior
And1: 126

Post#59 » by sewerfrosh » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:38 am

I enjoy listening to the post game on the radio, but if its a back to back, there's only about 5 minutes and yes when the Jays play its non-existant, great to see people talk about Raptorized John, shame he missed the Chip! I'm over 50 hate that the radio ignores basketball, have to talk to young guys at work to discuss the NBA
Swag
RealGM
And1: 9,523

Post#60 » by Swag » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:56 am

Radio is like cable while podcasts is Netflix - get the contents you want, when you want.

Podcasts is living life so forget the radio

Sent from my SM-N975W using RealGM mobile app

Return to Toronto Raptors