And1: 2,684

Re: 2020 Offseason 

Post#141 » by Warriorfan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:44 am

Kittle gets paid.
Buckner paid

Armstead franchised 18.8 maybe traded

Jimmy Ward if they can afford him.
If not Blair, Day. Resigned

Mc Kinnon, Person, Nazolea, Goodwin, Coleman cut.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#142 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:02 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Dodub wrote:https://ninernoise.com/2020/02/07/49ers-3-players-cut-create-cap-space-2020/amp/

No. 3: Offensive Guard Mike Person

I can't see Person getting cut. He's cheap. He basically costs the same as like a second-round draft pick. If we can upgrade the spot, of course we do it, but I can't see him being a "cap casualty" as such.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#143 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:13 pm

NinerSickness wrote:So consider this possibility: the Niners got really lucky to get as far as they did this year. Seattle had their number, but they were injured at the wrong time.

Also, the Saints were a pretty scary team who blew it in the wildcard round (I think Brees was banged up).

The OL failed when the chips were down, and so did the secondary. Also, the Niners don't have a legit #1 WR threat.

I think the team needs a bigger overhaul than people want to admit, and they should've started last offseason instead of going with what the team had.

There is always a high degree of luck that goes into making the playoffs, and certainly into making/winning the SB, but there's nothing to suggest that the Niners were a paper tiger. Their second-half schedule was brutal, and they came out with a 13-3 record. They beat multiple playoff teams during the regular season, including the #2, #3, and #5 seeds in their conference. They came within a play or two of beating the #1 seed in the AFC. They didn't have a single game where they weren't in it (though I'll concede they played down to the competition a few times, most obviously against Atlanta), and all of their losses came late in games. They absolutely destroyed the two NFC playoff teams they faced. And they had every chance of winning to Super Bowl.

Sure, Seattle gave them a tough time. Seattle has a top-5 QB and presented a unique psychological hurdle. The Niners easily could have been swept by Seattle, but they just as easily could have swept them (see: missed FG in OT). NO is a good team, that we beat in their house. The team that eliminated them at home in the playoffs wasn't even competitive with us the following week. I'm not saying we definitely would have beaten them in the playoffs, but knowing what we know now, it's the smart money.

I can't guarantee that this team even returns to the playoffs next year. Despite some tough injuries at times this season, on the whole they remained pretty healthy and particularly didn't lose many crucial players to IR. They play in probably the toughest division in the league. But they are as talented as any team in the league right now. Yes, they have holes. Welcome to the NFL over the past 20 years. They also have talented coaches, a great offensive scheme, surprising depth. There are many more reasons for optimism going forward than negativity.

The team still needs talent, and this is going to be a rough offseason in terms of adding it, but I don't see why they can't pick up where they left off this year.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#144 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:14 pm

Dodub wrote:I’ve been reading up and it appears that Kwon did indeed restructure to create 10m in cap room. The cap should go up another 10m which would give us 20m cap space between those two things. We already had roughly 6m in space so that puts us around 26m.

If we cut McKinnion, Goodwin and Nzeocha, that should give us 10m more.

Considering that Buckner’s deal wouldn’t count against the 2020 cap any more than it already would, we could easily extend Buckner and Kittle while resigning AA and Ward.

Yeah, somehow I totally missed the Alexander restructure. We're keeping him next season, but hopefully the contract structure still allows us to move on from him after next season. He's not nearly good enough for the salary at this point. And he was downright bad in the SB.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#145 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:14 pm

This probably isn't the best thread for this, but it seems like the most active current thread and I think it bears discussing in terms of the team going forward. I have some pretty significant concerns with Shanahan's game management. Concerns that have only been exacerbated by recent developments. I wanted to do a review of the close games in his 49ers' tenure.

Week 2, 12-9 loss in Seattle. Weird game, in which Hoyer only threw for 99 yards. The D played surprisingly well, we went into the half tied up, and were leading by three in the fourth when we allowed the go-ahead TD. We got the ball back with about seven minutes remaining and went three-and-out. Seattle killed the final five minutes without throwing a pass or facing third down.

Week 3, 41-39 loss against the Rams. Basically the polar opposite of the week before, as Hoyer threw for 332 and two TDs while Hyde also rushed for two. Goff threw for 292 and three TDs. This game was actually not quite as close as it looks. The Niners scored 13 unanswered points late in the game to make it closer, and 19 points in the fourth (missed an extra point, failed two-point). That said, we recovered the onside kick with two minutes left and promptly went four-and-out, aided by an offensive PI on a play that would otherwise have kept the drive alive.

Week 4, 18-15 OT loss in Arizona. We kicked a FG to go up by three with about 17 minutes remaining in the game. We proceeded to have five three-and-outs (three consecutive drives for negative yards, one for zero yards, and one for three) to end regulation. We did muster a FG in OT - after having first and goal from the eight, only to allow them to drive down and score the winning TD without ever forcing a third down.

Week 5, 26-23 OT loss in Indianapolis. We actually came screaming back in this one, scoring two 17 points in the fourth to force OT. After an INT on their first OT drive, we went three-and-out and they won on a FG.

Week 6, 26-24 loss in Washington. This was somewhat back-and-forth. Beathard threw an interception on what was effectively the last play (4th and 20 from the 50).

Week 13, 15-14 win against Chicago. Garoppolo's first start. The Niners scored the final nine points to win it, including a FG drive that ended with just seconds remaining.

Week 15, 25-23 win against Tennessee. Niners fell behind by four in the fourth, but hit FGs on their final three drives to win on a 45-yarder from Gould. Close one.

Week 2, 30-27 win against Detroit. Niners pulled ahead by 14 in the second half, but barely hung on as Detroit scored two TDs late and got a stop to get the ball back in position to kick a FG to tie. Their drive petered out on their own 39.

Week 4, 29-27 loss at Chargers. Niners pulled ahead by one early in the fourth, but allowed the Chargers to respond immediately with a FG of their own. Final two drives were a three-and-out and an INT by Beathard.

Week 6, 33-30 loss at GB. Niners led most of this one. They allowed the Packers to claw back to 30-30 with just under two minutes. On the ensuing drive, Beathard threw an INT deep in GB territory (desperation long ball) on third down. Rodgers promptly drove down for the winning FG. Our last three drives went for 9, -12, and 7 yards.

Week 8, 18-15 loss at Arizona. We led 15-3 with 13:33 left in the game. They scored two late TDs to win it. We gained 22 yards on two drives after that, and lost when Beathard fumbled the snap trying to stage a comeback.

Week 10, 27-23 loss to NYG. Niners went up by a TD on the first drive after the half, then managed punt, INT, punt to allow the Giants back in. They put together a 54-yard FG drive late, but then immediately gave up a TD drive to lose.

Week 14, 20-14 win against Denver. Niners went up 20-0 just before halftime. Then they shut down. Punt, punt, INT, punt, and downs (basically running out the clock) in the second half. This one wasn't all that close as Denver scored on their last legit possession (they got the ball back on our 40 with time to run one play), but if they had gotten a stop on our final drive, it's anyone's ball game.

Week 15, 26-23 win against Seattle. Niners led 17-13 at half, and 20-13 toward the end of the third before Seattle immediately tied it up. They went back-and-forth a bit, but Niners couldn't get anything going on offense after that, punting after gaining no combined yards in their final two drives. In OT, they stopped the Hawks for a three-and-out and then drove down for the FG with relative ease.

Week 16, 14-9 loss to Chicago. Niners led 9-7 at halftime, but didn't really come close to scoring after that with the exception of a Mullens INT at the Chicago 14.

Week 3, 24-20 win against Pittsburg. A really ugly offensive performance, but Armstead forced the fumble and we were able to score the winning TD with just over a minute left.

Week 9, 28-25 win at Arizona. We led 21-7 at halftime, and 28-14 entering the fourth quarter. They clawed back in with ten points late as we had two very short drives, and it took an 11-play clock-killing drive with three third-down conversions to eke this one out.

Week 10, 27-24 OT loss against Seattle. We went down 21-10 entering the fourth, but got the forced fumble TD and two FGs to tie it and force OT. Greenlaw had the TD-saving INT in OT, but we missed the ensuing FG, got a stop, didn't really try to win or kill the clock, and lost it in the final seconds.

Week 13, 20-17 loss at Baltimore. Tough one, with the weather limiting our offense (though likely theirs, too). They had an inexorable drive to win it late.

Week 14, 48-46 win at NO. A real back-and-forth affair where we got the ball last and kicked the winning FG thanks to Kittle's amazing play.

Week 15, 29-22 loss against Atlanta. We pulled ahead by nine with about ten minutes left, but they responded immediately to narrow it to two. We drove down but had to settle for the FG (largely because Kittle fumbled the ball out-of-bounds on a third down he would otherwise have converted). They drove 70 yards for the game-winning TD.

Week 16, 31-24 win against the Rams. This one took some last-minute heroics, with the Niners driving for a late TD to pull ahead, allowing an immediate FG to tie, then getting the FG to win after converting two 3rd and 16s.

Week 17, 26-21 win at Seattle. We really had no business winning this one. It took a lucky no-call on Warner and an incredible play by Greenlaw to seal it. Granted I've discussed at length the no-call against Garland after his block downfield. Niners led by 12 in the fourth, but went three-and-out when they needed to put the game away.

Overall, we're 10-13 in such games. That's actually not bad as bad as I expected given our 23-25 record under Shanahan, but I'm struck by how we lost some of these. We failed to come through on both sides of the ball repeatedly, but especially on offense. Over and over, we were in situations where one drive would have most likely won it, or put a close game safely out of reach. And over and over, it seems like we came up just short when we needed it. That's probably my biggest concern with Shanahan moving forward. He's a really bad game manager, and I think he needs to delegate some of those duties to someone else. We have to be more aggressive at the end of the half, and we have to execute on both sides of the ball at the end of the game. Failure to do so has cost us repeatedly, most conspicuously just last week.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#146 » by Jikkle » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:39 am

This offseason I'd pay Buckner and Kittle.

Franchise Armstead because I don't think you can afford to give him a long term deal and I don't trust him to stay healthy. He stayed healthy this year but he does have a history.

Ward depends on the price and how they feel about Moore. Like Armstead I don't trust Ward to stay healthy so I wouldn't invest heavily in him but I wouldn't want to take a step back either with the secondary in the precarious state that it's in.

Sanders again depends on the price. He didn't have the numbers at the end but I felt his presence opened things up for Deebo and Kittle but with Hurd and Taylor in the mix there might not be enough balls to go around to justify his price.

Draftwise they need to trade back from the 1st and get more picks since they are missing a 2nd and 3rd this year. I wouldn't go crazy because the roster isn't in a state where they could use a 11 picks but I'd be trying to live in the 2nd and 3rd round and if they can flip that 1st and wheel and deal for a 2nd, 3rd, and possibly more that's what I'd do.

Roster could use a talent upgrade in areas but it's not in a shape where a bunch of 5th rounders and beyond can make the roster.

They need to look CB because Witherspoon is talented but a headcase you can't count on and even if he does put it all together Sherman isn't getting any younger.

I'd then be looking at a Tackle you can play Guard and bump him back out to Tackle when Staley retires or a Guard that has Center potential because Pearson needs to be upgraded and Richburg is coming off a knee injury and no telling how he's going to fare from here on out.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#147 » by NinerSickness » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:10 am

Jikkle wrote:Pearson needs to be upgraded

My memo about this to Lynch is still en route via carrier pigeon. I sent it back in back in 2018.

The little guy needs to get his ass back to work.

Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#148 » by Dodub » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 pm

I like the route that were on with lineman, we’re finding some cheap gems (Skule, Brunskill, etc.) of course eventually were going to have to spend some serious draft capital to replace Staley
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#149 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:07 am

ESPN expert predicts San Francisco 49ers will sign star free agent wide receiver

https://m.sfgate.com/49ers/article/san-francisco-49ers-free-agency-aj-green-15047653.php
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#150 » by Dodub » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:45 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:ESPN expert predicts San Francisco 49ers will sign star free agent wide receiver

https://m.sfgate.com/49ers/article/san-francisco-49ers-free-agency-aj-green-15047653.php

Complete nonsense
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#151 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:18 am

Dodub wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:ESPN expert predicts San Francisco 49ers will sign star free agent wide receiver

Complete nonsense

Injuries aside, I just don't see how we could afford that contract.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#152 » by NinerSickness » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:34 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Dodub wrote:

Complete nonsense

AJ Green hasn't been a great receiver in 5 years. Hard pass.

CB, OL. They lost the SB because of Mike Person.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#153 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:09 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Dodub wrote:
Complete nonsense

They lost the SB because of an almost perfect storm of miscues by a host of players and coaches. But I agree that upgrading Person has to be a priority.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#154 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:58 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

They lost the SB because of an almost perfect storm of miscues by a host of players and coaches. But I agree that upgrading Person has to be a priority.

Crims, you probably already provided your in depth analysis of the game (as you usually do for every game). However, how did you feel about the way we were using Deebo in the first half? In particular the jet sweeps / RB toss plays that kept K.C. off balance. Do you feel like we could have sustained drives had we stick with the Deebo game plan on the second half? I’m still very upset about the game (play calling) by Shanahan in the second half. I just want some closure now being that I’m still bothered by this loss. I’m stuck in the usage (or lack of) of Deebo Samuel in the run game in the second half, is one of that the main reason why we didn’t come out being victorious.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#155 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 pm

KWON ALEXANDER
LB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

49ers LB Kwon Alexander underwent offseason biceps surgery.

Everyone knew Alexander was playing through a surgically repaired pec this season, but he also had an undisclosed biceps surgery. The linebacker is expected to be ready for the 2020 season as the Niners look to repeat their NFC Championship run. Alexander signed a four-year, $54 million contract last offseason, but San Francisco can get out of it with relative ease after this upcoming year if he can't stay healthy.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 14, 2020, 3:20 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#156 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:50 am

WESTON RICHBURG
C, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

49ers C Weston Richburg (torn patellar tendon) said he should be ready for training camp.

"I’ll miss the offseason stuff but training camp should be a go." Returning from a torn patellar tendon is an uphill battle, but Richburg remains optimistic. He'll be entering his age-29 season assuming he gets back up to speed by September and will likely face competition for the starting spot. Richburg was PFF's No. 11 pass-blocking center among 31 qualifiers at the time of his injury last season, so he's an asset if healthy.
SOURCE: NBC Sports

Feb 13, 2020, 2:06 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#157 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:32 pm

49ers: Jalen Hurd must step up if Emmanuel Sanders departs in free agency
https://ninernoise.com/2020/02/14/49ers-jalen-hurd-step-emmanuel-sanders-free-agency/amp/
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#158 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:03 pm

Niners' draft stuff here? Or in the general draft thread and save this for FA? For now:

https://www.49ers.com/news/49ers-mock-draft-nfl-2020

If we take a LB with our first pick, I'm going to **** myself.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#159 » by Bald Bull » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:46 pm

I want him back. One more year.
Read on Twitter
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#160 » by Samurai » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:36 am

WR Taylor Gabriel was recently cut by the Bears. He played for Shanahan (while an Offensive Coordinator) in 2014 (Browns) and 2016 (Falcons); in those 2 seasons combined, Gabriel caught a total of 71 passes for 1200 yards. Gabriel reportedly ran a 4.27 40 in college, which would match Marquise Goodwin's time at the 2013 combine. He was scheduled to make $5.5M next season when the Bears cut him, so he should be able to be signed on the cheap. If Lynch and Shanahan decide not to re-sign Sanders, Gabriel could be the affordable speed guy that the team currently lacks who is already familiar with the Shanahan playbook.

Return to San Francisco 49ers