ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#181 » by Papi_swav » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:16 am

So I'm looking ahead at the 2020 free agents and here are some guys I'd like to go after. We need a 3rd string point guard, some tough nose defenders, a wing and a 4. Also we can never have enough shooters. The guys I list are guys I think we can get with our MLE, minimum or S&T.

Gawds :
Jeff Teague
Clarkson
DJ Agustin (perfect 3rd stringer)
Kris Dunn (defensive purposes)
Rondo
Napier (miss him)
MCW
Burks

Wings:
Crabbe (shooting)
Bazemore (scrappy defender)
belinelli (shooting)
Justin Holiday
Bryn Forbes
Glenn Robinson III
korkmaz
Mo Harkless (3&D)
Jerami Grant
Jae Crowder
Rondbae
Derrick Jones Jr.

4s:
Milsap ( sign & trade)
Ibaka (sign & trade)
Marcus Morris
Marvin Williams

My personal wants. Augustin, Dunn, Napier, Burks or Clarkson, Mo Harkless, Crowder, Grant, Holiday. We need a wing to play alongside KD. I think Harkless or Crowder would be perfect. Tough nose defenders that can play the opposing teams best wings and can knock down the 3. Both those guys should be inexpensive. It looks like we're going to have to get a little creative via trades to get a player that effects the game and that fits here.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#182 » by DarkXaero » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:56 am

Papi_swav wrote:So I'm looking ahead at the 2020 free agents and here are some guys I'd like to go after. We need a 3rd string point guard, some tough nose defenders, a wing and a 4. Also we can never have enough shooters. The guys I list are guys I think we can get with our MLE, minimum or S&T.

Gawds :
Jeff Teague
Clarkson
Rondo
Napier (miss him)
MCW
Burks

Wings:
Crabbe (shooting)
belinelli (shooting)
Justin Holiday
Bryn Forbes
Glenn Robinson III
korkmaz
Mo Harkless (3&D)
Jerami Grant
Jae Crowder
Rondbae
Derrick Jones Jr.

4s:
Milsap ( sign & trade)
Ibaka (sign & trade)
Marcus Morris
Marvin Williams

My personal wants. Augustin, Dunn, Napier, Burks or Clarkson, Mo Harkless, Crowder, Grant, Holiday. We need a wing to play alongside KD. I think Harkless or Crowder would be perfect. Tough nose defenders that can play the opposing teams best wings and can knock down the 3. Both those guys should be inexpensive. It looks like we're going to have to get a little creative via trades to get a player that effects the game and that fits here.
I think Augustin is probably not realistic. He's having a down year but still too good to be a third string PG. Someone like Raul Neto could be a possibility. Regardless, decent third string PGs shouldn't be hard to find for Marks. I would also say that Marcus Morris is out of our price range. Markieff Morris is a possibility though. But overall, a good list.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#183 » by Prokorov » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:16 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:So I'm looking ahead at the 2020 free agents and here are some guys I'd like to go after. We need a 3rd string point guard, some tough nose defenders, a wing and a 4. Also we can never have enough shooters. The guys I list are guys I think we can get with our MLE, minimum or S&T.

Gawds :
Jeff Teague
Clarkson
Rondo
Napier (miss him)
MCW
Burks

Wings:
Crabbe (shooting)
belinelli (shooting)
Justin Holiday
Bryn Forbes
Glenn Robinson III
korkmaz
Mo Harkless (3&D)
Jerami Grant
Jae Crowder
Rondbae
Derrick Jones Jr.

4s:
Milsap ( sign & trade)
Ibaka (sign & trade)
Marcus Morris
Marvin Williams

I think Augustin is probably not realistic. He's having a down year but still too good to be a third string PG. Someone like Raul Neto could be a possibility. Regardless, decent third string PGs shouldn't be hard to find for Marks. I would also say that Marcus Morris is out of our price range. Markieff Morris is a possibility though. But overall, a good list.

We should just draft one
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#184 » by Papi_swav » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:59 pm

Prokorov wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

Gawds :
Jeff Teague
Clarkson
Rondo
Napier (miss him)
MCW
Burks

Wings:
Crabbe (shooting)
belinelli (shooting)
Justin Holiday
Bryn Forbes
Glenn Robinson III
korkmaz
Mo Harkless (3&D)
Jerami Grant
Jae Crowder
Rondbae
Derrick Jones Jr.

4s:
Milsap ( sign & trade)
Ibaka (sign & trade)
Marcus Morris
Marvin Williams

We should just draft one

We can also draft a wing, but we need to get a vet player that will make an impact now and drafting somebody is no guarantees they will work out. I mean we don't need the rookie to make an impact now, we can let him develop behind the guy we sign or trade for. But drafting somebody and expect them to play good minutes or be a rotational piece right away is not the right thing to do. It's better to sign or trade someone that can play right away and let the draftee develop like we're doing with Claxton now. We are in win now mode.

We can also package the Phillys pick (18-23ish), Prince and others for an impact player now. I just don't know who that guy can be and who will except that. I prefer a wing. The more wings the better, teams are stockpiling on wings now. Look at the Clippers, we need guys to match those 2 super stars. Houston has a roster filled with wings. Same with Boston, they got 3 legit wings and we need guys that can make it tough on them. I personally like Crowder or Mo Harkless as a vet we can sign and we can probably get them for the MLE. But I hope we keep Temple as well.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#185 » by Claud » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:09 pm

Draft will be BPA.

I think once KD is back he can play 3-4-5 which is exactly what we need to balance out our roster.

Currently our major weakness isn't our center or guard/wing rotation, but our PF position.

If Prince is moved to the bench and KD takes his spot I envision:

Kyrie/Caris/Joe/KD/Fro
Dinwiddie/Temple/Prince/Kurucs/DJ

That's a very strong squad. We have guys like TLC, Musa and Clax as backups in case of injuries.

I also think we need a PG prospect OR let Musa play the role going forward.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#186 » by Papi_swav » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:24 pm

Claud wrote:Draft will be BPA.

I think once KD is back he can play 3-4-5 which is exactly what we need to balance out our roster.

Currently our major weakness isn't our center or guard/wing rotation, but our PF position.

Kyrie/Caris/Joe/KD/Fro

That's a very strong squad. We have guys like TLC, Musa and Clax as backups in case of injuries.

PF is basically a wing position now, we'll that's how us Nets do it. But yea, we can always get a backup 4 but I think we need a legit 3 to play alongside KD. We do need a PG prospect but I'll be more comfy with a vet backup, like Augustin etc.. and let the prospect swing from the NBA to the G league. Musa should be back in the G league or off this team honestly speaking.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#187 » by ProspectPark » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:00 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

Kyrie/Caris/Joe/KD/Fro

PF is basically a wing position now, we'll that's how us Nets do it. But yea, we can always get a backup 4 but I think we need a legit 3 to play alongside KD. We do need a PG prospect but I'll be more comfy with a vet backup, like Augustin etc.. and let the prospect swing from the NBA to the G league. Musa should be back in the G league or off this team honestly speaking.

Look around the league. How many 3 n D wings that are better than Prince are available?

None.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#188 » by Prokorov » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:45 pm

BPA is for when you are building a team, not when you have 2 top 10 players in their prime
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#189 » by Papi_swav » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:19 am

7footMONSTER wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

Kyrie/Caris/Joe/KD/Fro

Look around the league. How many 3 n D wings that are better than Prince are available?

None.

We don't know who's available until they are, until we make an offer. But let's see...

Will Barton
Isaac Bonga
Ariza (old but still)
Marcus Morris ( FA this summer, maybe S&T)
Barnes
Doug McDermott
Dorian Finny Smith
Royce O'neal
Mo Harkless (FA)
Justin Holiday (FA)
Terrence Ross

And there is still more but I'm tired now. All these guys are playing over 25 minutes a game and are far better defenders than Prince and the numbers back it up. Maybe because Prince is playing out of position at times, but I think you're giving him too much credit on defense, he is no defensive stopper. I do not trust him guarding Kawhi, PG13, Tatum, or the better wings of this league. Prince is not the guy you throw at the opposing teams best wings. And his shot is not on some world class level to outweigh his flaws. All these guys are not untouchable. I think you should do more looking around the league.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,545

Post#190 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:32 pm

I think we are all in agreement that we need a solid veteran piece on the wing and a reliable 3rd PG.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#191 » by Prokorov » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:54 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:PF is basically a wing position now, we'll that's how us Nets do it. But yea, we can always get a backup 4 but I think we need a legit 3 to play alongside KD. We do need a PG prospect but I'll be more comfy with a vet backup, like Augustin etc.. and let the prospect swing from the NBA to the G league. Musa should be back in the G league or off this team honestly speaking.

None.

We don't know who's available until they are, until we make an offer. But let's see...

Will Barton
Isaac Bonga
Ariza (old but still)
Barnes
Doug McDermott
Dorian Finny Smith
Royce O'neal
Mo Harkless (FA)
Justin Holiday (FA)
Terrence Ross

And there is still more but I'm tired now. All these guys are playing over 25 minutes a game and are far better defenders than Prince and the numbers back it up. Maybe because Prince is playing out of position at times, but I think you're giving him too much credit on defense, he is no defensive stopper. I do not trust him guarding Kawhi, PG13, Tatum, or the better wings of this league. Prince is not the guy you throw at the opposing teams best wings. And his shot is not on some world class level to outweigh his flaws. All these guys are not untouchable. I think you should do more looking around the league.

Half those guys are really really awful plauyers. Barton, Bonga, DFS, O'neal are all a couple notches below prince. Holiday is a complete chucker although maybe kenny could mold him. Ross is just an older worse version of prince. Harkless is a PF, not a wing. Barnes is too coslty. Morris is more of a 4 than a 3. Ariza is no longer the player he was.

Id take prince clearly over all those guys except maybe Holiday who is a bit of a gunner and Barnes who would probably cost to much.

Prince is a great fit here. And he just moves to the bench once durant is back anyhow.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#192 » by Prokorov » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:54 pm

Also, the guys mentione dof 3rg PG arent coming here. Augistin can still fetch 10-12M a year. he isnt coming here on a small deal for a small role
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#193 » by drchaos » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:13 pm

Prokorov wrote:Also, the guys mentione dof 3rg PG arent coming here. Augistin can still fetch 10-12M a year. he isnt coming here on a small deal for a small role

Personally I think Napier would do very well as our third PG.

Who else is out there that might be a better fit but cost less than $5 mil per year?
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#194 » by Papi_swav » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:19 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

None.

Will Barton
Isaac Bonga
Ariza (old but still)
Barnes
Doug McDermott
Dorian Finny Smith
Royce O'neal
Mo Harkless (FA)
Justin Holiday (FA)
Terrence Ross

Half those guys are really really awful plauyers. Barton, Bonga, DFS, O'neal are all a couple notches below prince. Holiday is a complete chucker although maybe kenny could mold him. Ross is just an older worse version of prince. Harkless is a PF, not a wing. Barnes is too coslty. Morris is more of a 4 than a 3. Ariza is no longer the player he was.

Id take prince clearly over all those guys except maybe Holiday who is a bit of a gunner and Barnes who would probably cost to much.

Prince is a great fit here. And he just moves to the bench once durant is back anyhow.

I'll take most of those guys over Prince. None of these guys are really awful players at all, Idk what you're looking at but you can go check your stats or analytics that you love so much and see that they're having a better year than Prince.

Barton is clearly better than Prince and is one of the top wing defenders this year, DFS and O'neal are prototypical 3&D players that are better defensively than Prince. Mo Harkless is a wing, idk why u think he's a 4, he was the best wing defender on Portland and Clippers used to him to defend the best players opposing wing. Morris is a tweener and can play both forward spots like KD. Justin Holiday is having a good year and is shooting 41% from 3. Bonga is one of the better 3&D players of this league and he's still so young. All these guys are having very good years. But I wouldn't trade Prince unless we get a clear cut guy that is better than him. All these guys are better wing defenders than Prince by far.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#195 » by kamaze » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:26 pm

Nets need a power forward

They should draft one.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#196 » by gigantes » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:12 pm

It would certainly be nice to get a better picture of what Rodi, Musa and Claxton can offer before the end of the season.

Before embarking on trades and signings.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,545

Post#197 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:12 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

None.

Will Barton
Isaac Bonga
Ariza (old but still)
Barnes
Doug McDermott
Dorian Finny Smith
Royce O'neal
Mo Harkless (FA)
Justin Holiday (FA)
Terrence Ross

I think that Prince can be better and more efficient than we have seen once his usage goes to it's proper level, but Will Barton is a better player than Prince without question.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#198 » by DarkXaero » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:14 pm

Saying Barton is worse than Prince is laughably and factually wrong. Barton has been much better this year than Prince.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#199 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:37 am

Papi_swav wrote:We don't know who's available until they are, until we make an offer. But let's see...

Will Barton - clear upgrade but not a 3 or a 4 in our system, and DEN won't move him
Isaac Bonga - unproven, better offensively, worse defensively (BOWD)
Ariza (old but still) - no, just no
Marcus Morris ( FA this summer, maybe S&T) - BOWD
Barnes - BOWD
Doug McDermott - BOWD
Dorian Finny Smith - BOWD, one of the biggest bargain contracts in the league, no reason for DAL to sell
Royce O'neal - BO, same defensively, smaller contract, UTA would be crazy to trade him
Mo Harkless (FA) - top FA target with our taxpayer MLE
Justin Holiday (FA) - more of a 2 than a 3, not a 4 at all, still another worthwhile FA target
Terrence Ross - fair upgrade but again, his PT and Taurean's have nothing to do with one another

As others have stated, your concerns over Prince are well-founded. Despite the eye test that says he is one of the worst defenders in the league, opposing teams overall fare poorly against us per-possession when he is on the floor. He is statistically a plus-defender. The problem is, our offense is even worse than the effect he's having on defense, so he's a net-negative.

It is possible as MDB mentioned, that his efficiency could skyrocket when his role is smaller due to KD's and KI's presence. But that only lends to so much increase in value. For instance, if he is a positive contributor in 15mpg off the bench, but is making $14mil and then $15mil over the next two years, that's still not a positive asset.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#200 » by Papi_swav » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:46 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:We don't know who's available until they are, until we make an offer. But let's see...

Will Barton - clear upgrade but not a 3 or a 4 in our system, and DEN won't move him
Isaac Bonga - unproven, better offensively, worse defensively (BOWD)
Ariza (old but still) - no, just no
Marcus Morris ( FA this summer, maybe S&T) - BOWD
Barnes - BOWD
Doug McDermott - BOWD
Dorian Finny Smith - BOWD, one of the biggest bargain contracts in the league, no reason for DAL to sell
Royce O'neal - BO, same defensively, smaller contract, UTA would be crazy to trade him
Mo Harkless (FA) - top FA target with our taxpayer MLE
Justin Holiday (FA) - more of a 2 than a 3, not a 4 at all, still another worthwhile FA target
Terrence Ross - fair upgrade but again, his PT and Taurean's have nothing to do with one another

As others have stated, your concerns over Prince are well-founded. Despite the eye test that says he is one of the worst defenders in the league, opposing teams overall fare poorly against us per-possession when he is on the floor. He is statistically a plus-defender. The problem is, our offense is even worse than the effect he's having on defense, so he's a net-negative.

It is possible as MDB mentioned, that his efficiency could skyrocket when his role is smaller due to KD's and KI's presence. But that only lends to so much increase in value. For instance, if he is a positive contributor in 15mpg off the bench, but is making $14mil and then $15mil over the next two years, that's still not a positive asset.

Well Bonga is 5th in DRPM for SFs , I dont know how much weight that holds but that's up there with Lebron and Kawhi. He shoots the 3 at 42%, he's trending in the right direction as one of the better 3&Ds of the league but he is still young so I'll give u that. Idk what BOWD means, I'm guessing that their teams won't trade them. And I'm not sure why you're pointing out that guys can't play the 4 when KD is going to play most of the mins at the 4 spot. Prince can play the 3 and 4 so I guess that's what you're alluding to.

I mean we're pretty much stuck with Prince right now, he's not horrible though but I just would like more for 15M a year. I think he will play and look better once our stars come back but I don't think he'll sky rocket. Look, I'm not rushing to get him out of here , I like him sometimes but if we can get the upgrade just do it. The guys I've listed probably isn't that much of an upgrade but I think we definitely need better defenders on the wings to guard Tatum, Kawhi, PG13, Luka, Harden etc.. I miss my boy Nwaba

Return to Brooklyn Nets