Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: The truth was way worse

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Re: Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: 

Post#101 » by Slava » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:53 pm

That was a sad read, he seems like a genuinely nice guy who never matured as a man because he happened to be good at basketball and once he matured, it felt too late to correct the wrongs he did along the way.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Re: Eddy Curry and How Fans Treat Athletes (Players' Tribune piece) 

Post#102 » by spikeslovechild » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:06 pm

EAS Law wrote:
rickbrunson wrote:
Hero_Panda wrote:
Ok, but where does it say "you can't criticize anything I've ever done."

Here's some more excerpts from the article:

You can criticize him all you want if that your prerogative. The article doesn't scream out that people aren't allowed to criticize him.

Imagine looking for the literal words and not understanding inference.
Why doesn't he just tell his story? He brings up the joke stuff for a reason. He's trying to shame people for it.

I mean, maybe you’re just incredibly dense but the entire article is encouraging people to step back and realize that Eddy Curry is a human being and not some character on TV, who has made mistakes and also been through severe tragedy that no person should have to experience.

It’s called empathy. The article also touches on maturity and understanding that some things are beyond jokes, or should be at least.

I save my empathy for those who actually deserve it there was nothing deserving empathy about his basketball career.

If he didn't want to play basketball anymore he could have done the reputable thing and retired. Instead he wanted to have his cake and eat it too he wanted to get paid to do a job he had no interest in showing up to work for. So he decided to steal money from the Knicks and he showed up so out of shape they couldn't even play him.

Often there is only one chance to make a first impression and for Curry as far as his public persona and what he will be known for as relates to his NBA playing career it's pretty much set in stone and he earned that reputation. However, he has a chance to change the impression of those close to him which he admits in the article he has been a terrible human being to and if he is a changed person that should mean a hell of a lot more to him then some jerkoff on realgm.
Picasso
Rookie
And1: 896

Post#103 » by Picasso » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:22 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:Before reading any of the comment, I’m thinking the main theme is going to be “ oh these are millionaire athletes , they need to shut up & deal with it”

“Oh I’m a single father with 3 jobs , these athletes needs to stop complaining”

Blah, blah , blah . You know the deal!

Pretty much. The whole I'm poor didnt hit the genetic lottery, since I'm horrible acrew everyone else. I just want their money types.
I had to jump off the boat to walk on water.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#104 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:48 am

rickbrunson wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
rickbrunson wrote:
bro, repeating someone else's dig at you back to them is so epic.
how will I ever recover? :lol:

You actually made a dig at a different poster

/readingcomprehension

Woah, tripling down. So cringe. :lol: Do it again :lol:

Stop trolling.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,343

Post#105 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:01 am

Man, you knew some people would be total trash about this when this was posted, but these surprise me still. If you're calling the guy a terrible person or making digs at him after reading this, you better look in a mirror.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#106 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:02 am

Johnny Bball wrote:Man, you knew some people would be total trash about this when this was posted, but these surprise me still. If you're calling the guy a terrible person or making digs at him after reading this, you better look in a mirror.

Yep. It's one thing to say he mailed it in as a player, and his heart wasn't in it. It's another entirely to continue to slam him as a person and pick apart his character.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
6ixSideSniper
Head Coach
And1: 11,585

Post#107 » by 6ixSideSniper » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:28 am

EAS Law wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
6ixSideSniper wrote:
If you’re not gay and someone constantly accuses you of being gay it’s going to bother you. Like if you kept insisting a gay person was straight, it would bother them too. People always looking to get offended when there’s nothing to be offended about.

That's offensive and homophobic.

Nobody would tease a gay person about being straight and if they tried the gay person wouldn't care. "Straight" is not considered an insult.

Wait wait wait... there’s nothing wrong with being gay, but you imply that being called gay is an insult—because being called straight isn’t?

Are you sure you’re aware of what you’re so “offended” about?

Do you also speak for all gay people that none would care about being addressed as straight?

Trying to keep this on topic, Eddy Curry has just as much right to be properly addressed and perceived as heterosexual as any “non-binary” or “trans” person has to be considered whatever they identify as.

He’s not coming back for this :lol: I seen him post in other threads and haven’t come back to address why he said what he said and explain his logic. I’m genuinely curious how he came to the conclusion that he did.
What about DeRozan dawg?!?!

2018-2019 NBA CHAMPIONS

Rest In Peace The_Hater
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,413

Re: Player's Tribune Eddy Curry: The truth was way worse 

Post#108 » by PD28 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:51 pm

That was a tough read. I generally keep my criticisms to the court and rarely even know anything about their off court issues but damn that's some tragic stuff in this article.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using RealGM mobile app
GinWeary
Senior
And1: 345

Post#109 » by GinWeary » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:26 pm

Great read!

I was excited when the Bulls drafted Curry in 2001. I thought he was going to be the next good to great big man in the league. And I think he could have been - he put up some decent numbers at times and showed flashes. His aggressiveness did not measure up to the size of his body, but he had some of the softest feet for a man of his size that I have seen play; I was not surprised to hear that he had focused on gymnastics in the past. Now, his basketball work ethic makes more sense after reading his article and him explaining that he never really wanted to play basketball and that his rise to stardom was quite rapid.

I think being drafted by the hometown team, which was also in turmoil at the time, was not the best opportunity for Eddy. I think he needed to get away from Chicago and all the people that took advantage of him from even a young age. I am glad that he has more order to his life now.
“Fortunately, there is gin, the sole glimmer in this darkness.Do you feel the golden, copper-coloured light it kindles in you? I like walking through the city of an evening in the warmth of gin.” – Albert Camus
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,147

Post#110 » by moderndarwin » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:41 pm

Personally, I have no strong feelings about this. It’s just life and it’s always going to be a result of the choices that are made and the circumstances you are in. I’m glad to hear he’s trying to move on from that victim mentality and take ownership of his life. It’s got to feel good to him considering the depths of where he was.

I generally save actually sympathy or empathy for kids. They really have very little control over their environment and there are billions around the world born into some truly awful conditions.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,124

Post#111 » by djsunyc » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:28 pm

i think it's fascinating that some folks show some empathy for him while others don't.

Return to The General Board