Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant Named As Official Finalists For Hall Of Fame Class Of 2020

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant Named As Official Finalists For Hall Of Fame Class Of 2020 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:26 am

Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, and Kobe Bryant were among official finalists for the 2020 class of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

Tamika Catchings, Kim Mulkey, Barbara Stevens, Eddie Sutton and Rudy Tomjanovich were also named as finalists. 

The committee also suspended the Direct Election Categories due to the enormity of the top names in this year's class. 

"We've never had a class that strong at the top. And of course with Kobe's death, it added more focus. We thought the way of dealing with it was eliminating some direct-elects on a one-year basis. We have that flexibility, fortunately, to do it because some people could get lost in the shuffle, really, in terms of getting their due," said Colangelo.

Michael Wilbon and Mike Breen were elected to the Hall of Fame as recipients of the Curt Gowdy Media Award.

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Re: Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant Named As Official Finalists For Hall Of Fame Class Of 2020 

Post#2 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:05 pm

Move over, Wilt, Moses, n Russell. The Mt. Rushmore of greats may need revisiting
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,801

Re: Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant Named As Official Finalists For Hall Of Fame Class Of 2020 

Post#3 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:22 pm

I love Duncan, Garnett and Kobe all getting in on the same class. Only sucked that it took Kobe's death to make it happen. They all seem to deserve to be in the same class.
Dejai008
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Dejai008 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:23 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I love Duncan, Garnett and Kobe all getting in on the same class. Only sucked that it took Kobe's death to make it happen. They all seem to deserve to be in the same class.

No bro Kobe was eligible he was going to be there regardless. This was the year he was eligible after retirement and it just so happened the timing of his death was literally close to this.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#6 » by dice » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:06 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Move over, Wilt, Moses, n Russell. The Mt. Rushmore of greats may need revisiting

moses? moses malone? he wouldn't even be near the top of the visitation list. career VORP (playoffs included):

107.9 timmy
102.8 KG
86.1 kobe

51.6 moses

maybe you were conflating him w/ the biblical moses...and mt. rushmore w/ the 10 commandments
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 700

Post#7 » by Charlesareed » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:55 pm

Dejai008 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I love Duncan, Garnett and Kobe all getting in on the same class. Only sucked that it took Kobe's death to make it happen. They all seem to deserve to be in the same class.

No bro Kobe was eligible he was going to be there regardless. This was the year he was eligible after retirement and it just so happened the timing of his death was literally close to this.

Exactly he was HoF bound either was its just sad that he died before he got a chance to enter the hof I was looking forward to hearing his speech RIP KOBE
Chicago Raised me
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#8 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:19 pm

Dejai008 wrote:

So this was his eligibility year anyway? I didn't think he had been retired long enough.
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 953

Post#9 » by Dan33185 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:02 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Dejai008 wrote:

So this was his eligibility year anyway? I didn't think he had been retired long enough.

Crazy to think those three have been retired long enough, isn't it? Time flies.
ktzdaman
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#10 » by ktzdaman » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:12 pm

I’m predicting now there will be an attention whore that doesn’t vote for these three. They are all 100% first ballet inductees. Get ready for the articles and the excuses.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#11 » by KGdaBom » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:44 pm

ktzdaman wrote:I’m predicting now there will be an attention whore that doesn’t vote for these three. They are all 100% first ballet inductees. Get ready for the articles and the excuses.

Some idiot will leave KG off his ballot. He only won 1 title and Pierce was the finals MVP not KG. However, KG was by far their best player all year that championship season and he carried them to the finals. IMO the Wolves would have won the title in 2004 if Cassell had not been lost for the Western Finals against the Lakers.

Return to Wiretap Discussion