ImageImageImageImage

Markelle Fultz Updates Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Re: Markelle Fultz Updates Thread 

Post#901 » by basketballRob » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:21 am

Fultz has the same shooting stroke as SGA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,026

Post#902 » by dsg2021 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:43 am

:nod:
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#903 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:39 am

“Just to be here is motivation for me to keep working hard and get here as an All-Star,” he said.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-markelle-fultz-all-star-interview-76ers-magic-20200215-qza3e6zawje5rdxxtvdgrwgisy-story.html

Sounding like our PG of the future to me! Come on fultz!
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 889

Post#904 » by Bakomagic » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:47 am

Just re-read the first 10 pages or so of this thread and it dates back to the middle of the off-season. We were all wildly speculating about leaked videos and Caron Butler comments haha. “What a time!”

Was interesting to see the varying confidence levels and predictions:

I think I (could be mistaking a post I made on another forum) had predicted that he would take over the starting role after the all star break.

He’s exceeded my expectations so far, became a starter early on and he hasn’t had to sit a bunch of games (load management).

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by his defensive ability and his passing ability.

I believe that if we were to ramp up his minutes and usage we could be looking at a 16pt 8ast player for the rest of the year and a 20pt 10ast guy in the near future.

I’m more optimistic than most but I can realistically see it if he is given the keys so to speak. Either way it’s been a successful year up to this point imo and I look forward to watching Fultz progress through the rest of the season and playoffs !
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#905 » by cedric76 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:19 am

Weham will also be able to get a discount when we give him his next contract.
Fultz owe them big time
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#906 » by Def Swami » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:23 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
“Just to be here is motivation for me to keep working hard and get here as an All-Star,” he said.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-markelle-fultz-all-star-interview-76ers-magic-20200215-qza3e6zawje5rdxxtvdgrwgisy-story.html

Sounding like our PG of the future to me! Come on fultz!

Zach Lowe in a recent podcast said that our front office are really high on Fultz, and kind of insinuated that he's viewed as the future of our point guard position (while expressing skepticism that he's proved to be good enough for that sort of commitment).

I'm personally in on Fultz. I really want to see a full healthy off-season does for Fultz.
Popsicle1228
Junior
And1: 326

Post#907 » by Popsicle1228 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:54 pm

cedric76 wrote:Weham will also be able to get a discount when we give him his next contract.
Fultz owe them big time

Yeah they took a chance on Fultz and were patient with his rehab, but he does not owe them anything and won't be giving a discount for his services. That is wishful thinking. The best we can hope for as fans is that Fultz feels a sense of loyalty for the Magic providing him with support and patience he needed to heal. Maybe just maybe, if Fultz does become a very good to great player, that sense of loyalty will at least keep him in Orlando. Ultimately, Fultz is putting in the work to become a better player and is going to try to get as much money as possible as any player/individual looking to their own best interest should.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,072

Post#908 » by SOUL » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Players never owe anything to billionaire owners or front offices, it's not like Fultz was dug up from a career in Russia or something, Philly was impatient with his injury and he wore out his welcome. If we didn't take a chance, another team would've. But we did set up a good environment for him to prosper and take his time, so I'm sure he's taking that into account.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#909 » by cedric76 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:19 pm

Popsicle1228 wrote:
cedric76 wrote:Weham will also be able to get a discount when we give him his next contract.
Fultz owe them big time

Yeah they took a chance on Fultz and were patient with his rehab, but he does not owe them anything and won't be giving a discount for his services. That is wishful thinking. The best we can hope for as fans is that Fultz feels a sense of loyalty for the Magic providing him with support and patience he needed to heal. Maybe just maybe, if Fultz does become a very good to great player, that sense of loyalty will at least keep him in Orlando. Ultimately, Fultz is putting in the work to become a better player and is going to try to get as much money as possible as any player/individual looking to their own best interest should.

You ll see, weham are good at getting people to sign under the max

Fultz and his agent will do the right thing

unleash Jett next seaon
cedric76
RealGM

Post#910 » by cedric76 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:20 pm

Popsicle1228 wrote:
Fultz owe them big time

You ll see, weham are good at getting people to sign under the max

Fultz and his agent will do the right thing

unleash Jett next seaon
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#911 » by fendilim » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:13 am

no way fultz gets the max.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#912 » by pepe1991 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:04 am

Max for any of Isaac or Fultz would be suicide move by Weltman and Hammond. Their cap holds are already burden.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#913 » by basketballRob » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:39 am

pepe1991 wrote:Max for any of Isaac or Fultz would be suicide move by Weltman and Hammond. Their cap holds are already burden.
I think they both get 80-100 million extensions in the offseason. That will be the beginning of the end of high usage for some of our veteran role players.

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#914 » by zaymon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:21 am

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Max for any of Isaac or Fultz would be suicide move by Weltman and Hammond. Their cap holds are already burden.
I think they both get 80-100 million extensions in the offseason. That will be the beginning of the end of high usage for some of our veteran role players.

I hope usage will be determined on play not contract. Gordon is second most expensive player while having capacity to be 4-5 option on offense. I dont think Fultz and Isaac will be close to max. Our front office drafted players who are willing to sacrifice for the team good. Okeke just postponed his nba contract, Ross signed for what was believed as a fair deal, same with Vucevic at the time. I think we build a culture where players are not overpayed becouse of their ego. Isaac has a long way as an offensive player, and Fultz future performance is still a mistery.
At the time i thought Gordon was worth 12-18 M. I would say Isaac is better overall but less universal on offense. I would say 16-20 M.
Fultz is really hard to gauge. Front office thinks he will be an all star, but right now he is average starter, still with health concerns. 18- 22 M ?
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#915 » by basketballRob » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:10 pm

zaymon wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

I hope usage will be determined on play not contract. Gordon is second most expensive player while having capacity to be 4-5 option on offense. I dont think Fultz and Isaac will be close to max. Our front office drafted players who are willing to sacrifice for the team good. Okeke just postponed his nba contract, Ross signed for what was believed as a fair deal, same with Vucevic at the time. I think we build a culture where players are not overpayed becouse of their ego. Isaac has a long way as an offensive player, and Fultz future performance is still a mistery.
At the time i thought Gordon was worth 12-18 M. I would say Isaac is better overall but less universal on offense. I would say 16-20 M.
Fultz is really hard to gauge. Front office thinks he will be an all star, but right now he is average starter, still with health concerns. 18- 22 M ?
If it was based on play and not contracts some of our veteran players that are making the most would occasionally get benched. That's just not reality. Clifford follows that game plan more than any othre coach I've seen.

Yes Fultz will get 20m a year. You have to look at his trajectory, not just where he is now. I could see Isaac and Fultz being our best players by next year and our veterans can start filling roles around them.

zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#916 » by zaymon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:46 pm

basketballRob wrote:
zaymon wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I think they both get 80-100 million extensions in the offseason. That will be the beginning of the end of high usage for some of our veteran role players.

If it was based on play and not contracts some of our veteran players that are making the most would occasionally get benched. That's just not reality. Clifford follows that game plan more than any othre coach I've seen.

Yes Fultz will get 20m a year. You have to look at his trajectory, not just where he is now. I could see Isaac and Fultz being our best players by next year and our veterans can start filling roles around them.

I dont think occasionally benching your best players on a bad day is a good idea. You can limit their minutes, and Clifford does that.

If Fultz develops into legitimate number one option, and takes the ball out of Fournier and Vucevic hands it would be the best case scenario for our team and for the players. Fournier looks so much better when he doesnt have to create consistently, and Vucevic is near elite in creating from the high post, when defense scrambles. There was never a player on our team better than Evan and Nicola during their tenure and it would be respectful to them to put them in roles they can flourish in after all they gone through.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,152

Post#917 » by swarlesbarkley » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:45 pm

zaymon wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
zaymon wrote:I hope usage will be determined on play not contract. Gordon is second most expensive player while having capacity to be 4-5 option on offense. I dont think Fultz and Isaac will be close to max. Our front office drafted players who are willing to sacrifice for the team good. Okeke just postponed his nba contract, Ross signed for what was believed as a fair deal, same with Vucevic at the time. I think we build a culture where players are not overpayed becouse of their ego. Isaac has a long way as an offensive player, and Fultz future performance is still a mistery.

I dont think occasionally benching your best players on a bad day is a good idea. You can limit their minutes, and Clifford does that.

If Fultz develops into legitimate number one option, and takes the ball out of Fournier and Vucevic hands it would be the best case scenario for our team and for the players. Fournier looks so much better when he doesnt have to create consistently, and Vucevic is near elite in creating from the high post, when defense scrambles. There was never a player on our team better than Evan and Nicola during their tenure and it would be respectful to them to put them in roles they can flourish in after all they gone through.

While he's not a number one option yet, he's shown that he should have the ball in his hands as a playmaker more than Evan and Vuc but Cliff still likes to make him dump to Evan and then go stand in the corner. Totally asinine. I'm sure when DJ comes back it'll be the same story - DJ at the 1, Fultz at the 2 in the corner.
zaymon
Lead Assistant

Post#918 » by zaymon » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:10 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:
zaymon wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If it was based on play and not contracts some of our veteran players that are making the most would occasionally get benched. That's just not reality. Clifford follows that game plan more than any othre coach I've seen.

While he's not a number one option yet, he's shown that he should have the ball in his hands as a playmaker more than Evan and Vuc but Cliff still likes to make him dump to Evan and then go stand in the corner. Totally asinine. I'm sure when DJ comes back it'll be the same story - DJ at the 1, Fultz at the 2 in the corner.

You cant change such a thing overnight. Fultz was not even cleared to shoot beyond 3 point line during summer. I am certain they didnt train end game plays with Fultz during training camp, and during season there is not a lot of time to do that. It happens more regularly now, and lets be honest Fournier and Dj are better with the ball in their hands becouse defenders close out on them. Fultz cant shoot and cant drive to the rim regularly becouse his defender is staying in the post, thats why he is effective with Dj becouse he can attack moving defense.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#919 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:47 pm

zaymon wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:
zaymon wrote:I dont think occasionally benching your best players on a bad day is a good idea. You can limit their minutes, and Clifford does that.

You cant change such a thing overnight. Fultz was not even cleared to shoot beyond 3 point line during summer. I am certain they didnt train end game plays with Fultz during training camp, and during season there is not a lot of time to do that. It happens more regularly now, and lets be honest Fournier and Dj are better with the ball in their hands becouse defenders close out on them. Fultz cant shoot and cant drive to the rim regularly becouse his defender is staying in the post, thats why he is effective with Dj becouse he can attack moving defense.

I think there are a lot of things missed in training camp and the offseason that were not put into place due to his rehabbing. And it is difficult to do mid season as well. Plus.... i think he is ahead of the curve of what the Magic were expecting for the season. BUUUUUUUT..... I wouldn't be surprised that after the break we go on another tear and a few things might have been incorporated assuming everyone wasn't on vacation. lol. Not much can be done over ASB... but a few things can be dabbled with. I wouldn't be surprised by a small uptick from this point going forward. And based on the success, that many of us will envision for the future... i think he will become one of the highest usage players.... if not THE highest in the next season. The thing is.... as he eats.... EVERYONE eats!
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 889

Post#920 » by Bakomagic » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:59 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:

I think there are a lot of things missed in training camp and the offseason that were not put into place due to his rehabbing. And it is difficult to do mid season as well. Plus.... i think he is ahead of the curve of what the Magic were expecting for the season. BUUUUUUUT..... I wouldn't be surprised that after the break we go on another tear and a few things might have been incorporated assuming everyone wasn't on vacation. lol. Not much can be done over ASB... but a few things can be dabbled with. I wouldn't be surprised by a small uptick from this point going forward. And based on the success, that many of us will envision for the future... i think he will become one of the highest usage players.... if not THE highest in the next season. The thing is.... as he eats.... EVERYONE eats!

Exactly, this is what frustrates me most. Fournier, AG, and Iwundu come back and ask the rebounder for the outlet pass when they should just take off for the fast break ! If you allow Fultz to receive the outlet pass he will find you for an open 3 or layup.

Return to Orlando Magic