Aaron Gordon After Finishing Second In Dunk Contest: 'I Feel Like I Should Have Two Trophies'

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Aaron Gordon After Finishing Second In Dunk Contest: 'I Feel Like I Should Have Two Trophies' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:16 am

Aaron Gordon said he was done participating in dunk contests after finishing in second place to Derrick Jones. 

Gordon also finished second to Zach LaVine in 2016.

"I did four straight 50s -- five straight 50s. That's over. It's a wrap. Let's go home Four 50s in a row in an NBA Dunk Contest, it's over. But I don't know. Who's running the show? ... It's a wrap, bro. I feel like I should have two trophies," said Gordon.

Gordon and Jones went to two tie-breaker rounds, with Gordon dunking over Tacko Fall with his final attempt.

Common and Candace Parker, two judges of the dunk contest, said that the plan was for Jones and Gordon to finish in another tie. 

"We thought it was going to be tied. We were like, 'This is a tie!' But somebody didn't do it right. I don't know who it is," said Common. 

Via ESPN

alienpick
Starter
And1: 614

Re: Aaron Gordon After Finishing Second In Dunk Contest: 'I Feel Like I Should Have Two Trophies' 

Post#2 » by alienpick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:50 am

Well, they shorted Derrick Jones’s last dunk; that should have been a 50 as well. Then Pip and Wade shorted Gordon on his last dunk to make up for it. They both should have tied the tie-breaker round and gone into double overtime.

That said; Gordon did the same dunk basically 3 (or 4?) times.

He also hit Tacko in the head, so he didn’t completely clear him, unlike what the stupid announcers said. “He jumped over Tacko! He jumped right over him! He didn’t touch him!” ... they say as the reply clearly shows him hitting the back of his head; repeatedly. Come on. That crap, and the fake-ass side line reactions, are ruining the show. NBA players are terrible actors. We know you aren’t shocked, we aren’t stupid. Be genuine. When you see something actually amazing then act like that.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 232

Re: Aaron Gordon After Finishing Second In Dunk Contest: 'I Feel Like I Should Have Two Trophies' 

Post#3 » by tigerae » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:15 am

alienpick wrote:Well, they shorted Derrick Jones’s last dunk; that should have been a 50 as well. Then Pip and Wade shorted Gordon on his last dunk to make up for it. They both should have tied the tie-breaker round and gone into double overtime.

He also hit Tacko in the head, so he didn’t completely clear him, unlike what the stupid announcers said. “He jumped over Tacko! He jumped right over him! He didn’t touch him!” ... they say as the reply clearly shows him hitting the back of his head; repeatedly. Come on. That crap, and the fake-ass side line reactions, are ruining the show. NBA players are terrible actors. We know you aren’t shocked, we aren’t stupid. Be genuine. When you see something actually amazing then act like that.

Derrick Jones Jr. also pushed off on Bam in his first dunk while Gordon tried to go over Tacko. So while yes he did hit him in the head, to me that's way better than pushing off the guy you are trying to jump over which gave him more air. That, imo, should have a much lower scored dunk which could have potentially eliminated him from even going in to the 2nd round.

I agree with Gordon that he should have 2 trophies. He was robbed before and again tonight. I would have been alright with both Gordon and Jones both getting trophies, Gordon was robbed as he was the better drunker.
mrcableguy
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by mrcableguy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:04 pm

i am ok with result i suppose.. but no way tacko fall dunk was a 47 lol... even if didnt completely clear him ... showmanship and excitement are massive parts of dunk contest and bringing tacko out on court completely unscripted was awesome.. plus AG had by far best dunk of night with the one handed 360 off side,,, that was thing of beauty.. but like DJJ said after ... he deserved it and did great too... i blame wade.... also nothing wrong with players right there ooo'ing and awe'ing.. its fun
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#5 » by TheCage4 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:08 pm

It’s become such a tired format. Let’s see who can jump over who, IMO, is not a dunk contest.

I will say though that Pat Connaughton’s ode to Billy Hoyle from White Men Can’t Jump was brilliant. I do wonder though how many people may have not understood the reference, as it is an older movie and fans today barely retain the here and now.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
batmana
Sixth Man
And1: 1,424

Post#6 » by batmana » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:02 pm

That's the biggest problem with the judges and the way they are scoring the dunks currently - they talk to each other about what grades to give. Like Wade said on Howard's "Superman" dunk, "They peer-pressured me into giving a 10."

Blind scoring and AFTER the scores are in, subtract a point for each missed attempt.

Also, most of the dunks were the same, jumping over someone or catching a bounced ball of the backboard and finishing after some acrobatic move. Sure, they looked great but after the second or third time, at least I would have gotten tired of giving 10s.

As for the outcome of this competition, I agree that Gordon got shafted. Every one of his dunks was either equal to or better than Jones' respective dunk, I also don't get how Gordon lost this one. Basically in the end the judges got tired of giving 50s, shafted Jones by giving him a lesser score and then decided (obviously mutually), to shaft Gordon too. The most unbelievable thing is that Gordon jumping over Tacko was like 10 times more impressive than jumping some midget rapper and after he completed that final dunk, ON HIS FIRST ATTEMPT (which is often overlooked), he had like 0 doubt he was winning it, just like anyone with functioning eyes...
So the way the judges are scoring failed multiple times in one single round.
88.0 FGA Team
C - Gilmore (81-82)/McHale
PF - Rodman (91-92)/McHale (87-88)
SF - Worthy (85-86)/Rodman/Ariza
SG - Miller (93-94)/Ariza (08-09)/Dragic
PG - Johnson (88-89)/Dragic (09-10)
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,852

Post#7 » by Jabroni Lames » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:19 pm

Not saying that D-Wade is the dunk contest judge biased towards towards Derrick Jones of the Heat, but.....
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#8 » by Barcs » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:57 pm

The dunk contest is pure trash these days. The judges are garbage and give 10s to almost anything. LOL @ these bull fake celebrity judges negotiating scores over emotion rather than technicalities. Get some real experts with categories of metrics to make it more interesting. The Superman dunk wasn't even that good, it was just gimmicky.

Why have a 1-10 rating system when they never rank it below 7, even when they miss the dunk they get like 6s. It's stupid as hell. They should have higher standards of scrutiny. "OMG he dunked over a tall guy" is the oldest gimmic in the book now. NBA needs to ditch this entire garbage weekend and replace it with the mid season tourney. All star break is trash and has been for at least a decade.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Heavyhitter10
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#9 » by Heavyhitter10 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Then don't watch it! I haven't watched it in years!!
alienpick
Starter
And1: 614

Post#10 » by alienpick » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Barcs wrote:The dunk contest is pure trash these days. The judges are garbage and give 10s to almost anything. LOL @ these bull fake celebrity judges negotiating scores over emotion rather than technicalities. Get some real experts with categories of metrics to make it more interesting. The Superman dunk wasn't even that good, it was just gimmicky.

Why have a 1-10 rating system when they never rank it below 7, even when they miss the dunk they get like 6s. It's stupid as hell. They should have higher standards of scrutiny. "OMG he dunked over a tall guy" is the oldest gimmic in the book now. NBA needs to ditch this entire garbage weekend and replace it with the mid season tourney. All star break is trash and has been for at least a decade.

I was 100% with you until you mentioned a mid-season tourney. Since we can’t give half points anymore: I’m going to have to give you a 9/10. (And I didn’t discuss it with anyone else first) ;)
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#11 » by donaldtrump_00 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:27 am

Zach lavine beats both of them if he entered. But seriously I thought Gordon would win. But wish it ended in a tie
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#12 » by We Are Groot » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:39 am

pretty sure there are a bunch'a guys in the league that can do Gordon't last dunk, especially as uncleanly as he went over Tacko.

can we say that about Derrick Jones' last dunk?

additionally these things are subjective and really the margin is so narrow in the end, they shld really get more qualified judges if there's potential for any sort of stink abt the result possibly being unjust.

my personal take is Gordon gets up, he definitely has the springs ... but i thought both Lavine & Jones Jr were much, much more graceful overall and got their dunks off more cleanly & fluidly - again, this stuff is subjective. Gordon't two biggest headline dunks were not graceful to my eye compared to his competition. the one where he went under both legs looked awkward to me (gliding thru the air in an L pose is just weird isn't it?) and as i mentioned above, he was all on Fall's head, neck and shoulders on the way to the rim on his final dunk last nite
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#13 » by Furinkazan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:12 pm

We Are Groot wrote:pretty sure there are a bunch'a guys in the league that can do Gordon't last dunk, especially as uncleanly as he went over Tacko.

can we say that about Derrick Jones' last dunk?

additionally these things are subjective and really the margin is so narrow in the end, they shld really get more qualified judges if there's potential for any sort of stink abt the result possibly being unjust.

my personal take is Gordon gets up, he definitely has the springs ... but i thought both Lavine & Jones Jr were much, much more graceful overall and got their dunks off more cleanly & fluidly - again, this stuff is subjective. Gordon't two biggest headline dunks were not graceful to my eye compared to his competition. the one where he went under both legs looked awkward to me (gliding thru the air in an L pose is just weird isn't it?) and as i mentioned above, he was all on Fall's head, neck and shoulders on the way to the rim on his final dunk last nite

Im pretty sure more than half of the league can do last DJJ dunk ... he was way inside...
Cant say same thing about half of the league being able to fly over Tacko Fall even if it wasnt clean.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#14 » by Furinkazan » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:34 pm

also AG had the best dunk of the night
also 50 50 50 50 50
while DJJ had one below 50 in the 1st round....

at this point they should sum up all points and give it to the guy with most points...
you can spin it however you like
Whole world saw it AG got robbed again
various polls 80-90% respondents say so ...nba experts say so...bystanders say so... but you can spin it however you like...
AG was robbed twice...case closed
You aint always right
move on
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#15 » by ontnut » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:06 pm

I feel bad for him, those dunk contest wins would've been the highlight of his career. It's all first round playoff exits from here...
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,986

Post#16 » by ontnut » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:10 pm

They need to change the scoring format for sure. There should be a gradient between 9 and 10. Some of those dunks weren't flat out 10s. They need a 9.5 at the very least. The free throw line dunk from DJJ should've been a 9 or 9.5 at best. 10 should be reserved for dunks that flat out blow you away. With the scoring system now, 9 is too low for the judges to give, but 10 is too high. If he stepped on the line and did that dunk, it's a 10, but you can't step inside the line and still get a 10.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#17 » by deeps6x » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:01 pm

I feel a great deal of pity... for everyone who tried to record it, and missed the final dunks and sham judgement.

Gordon won his second dunk contest. DeRozan won his. Vince Carter still had the best one.

Miss a dunk and you should get zeros automatically from the judges.

Wade ruined it as much as Mountain Dew ruined the 3 point contest.

Everyone wearing 24 for team Giannis was jumping the shark. Enough already.

I think I'm done with all of the 'all star weekend' nonsense for good.

Lets get back to our 'entertainment basketball league' now.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Post#18 » by The Real Dalic » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:15 pm

alienpick wrote:Well, they shorted Derrick Jones’s last dunk; that should have been a 50 as well. Then Pip and Wade shorted Gordon on his last dunk to make up for it. They both should have tied the tie-breaker round and gone into double overtime.

Lol! AG did the same dunk 2-3 times? Are you just gonna ignore that DJJ literally did an under the legs dunk literally 3 straight times? Wow.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#19 » by Jedzz » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:26 am

ontnut wrote:I feel bad for him, those dunk contest wins would've been the highlight of his career. It's all first round playoff exits from here...

How do you figure he deserved the 2016 contest let alone this one? Lavine destroyed Gordon's jump the mascot lack of creativity that year with both creative dunks with difficulty and skill in doing so.

Whether they should have tied initially in this year's or not, he failed to make the leap over Tacko. Insane that he tried, but it failed. Not only hit Tackos head but Tacko had to bend his head completely down to allow him over. The funny part is he had no other dunk to do, so someone probably suggested Tacko to him. Credit him with actually trying, I will. But his junping over people thing is old news. Didn't Glen Robinson III jump over two people, one piggy backing another in the recent past? Blake Griffen dunked over a car like a decade ago.

Gordon needs to show some skill and creativity or he may never win. At least practice a few different types, show you actually put some time into preparing.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#20 » by Jedzz » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:45 am

deeps6x wrote:I feel a great deal of pity... for everyone who tried to record it, and missed the final dunks and sham judgement.

Gordon won his second dunk contest. DeRozan won his. Vince Carter still had the best one.

Miss a dunk and you should get zeros automatically from the judges.

So he should have gotten zeros when he failed to clear Tacko's head, right? Tacko probably has a sore neck still from shoving his chin into his sternum to allow AG to rub over.

Gordon also should have had zeros early on when he missed a dunk, but his second attempt they give him 10s. Looked more like 5s when it's your second try.

Jones first dunk was over a person. Pat C also. What is unique about Gordon anymore?

Howards first dunk spread out arms on a 360 was clean and more interesting then these junk dunks over people where someone holds the ball for them. I really liked that one.

You know what I feel pity for? The guy taking his shoes off trying to tell everyone he can't/won't do another dunk. No one gave an F and told him to get those shoes back on and try something.

Return to Wiretap Discussion