Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#321 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:52 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
gigantes wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:There's minimal flexibility with this roster, and it should be largely similar next year. You need to at least give it a low expectations dry run. I think the dream scenario is getting into the 6/7 spot, and having all of the size in the 1/4/5 (Milwuakee/Toronto/Philly). I'd have some confidence matching up with Boston & Miami if we have a healthy KD & Kyrie.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. If it's possible to safely see how Durant integrates with the roster, I see no reason not to get that useful data.

If Durant is given the go-ahead by medical professionals, and he feels comfortable doing it, there's no legit reason for further rest and rehabilitation. He will already have completed all that. Yes, he could injure himself again of course, but that's true of any player at any time. No point in psyching yourself out over something like that. No point in needlessly building up rust, either.

I also think that KD (like Irving) has the potential to set an example and help teach younger players about the finer points of the game. That's probably a whole lot easier when you're actually playing. This has been a frustrating season, sure, but there's still some opportunities to test some things out, learn from what's not working, and get a jump on next season. KD coming back early could assist with all that.

Not to mention, there's probably a solid chance that next season presents unexpected problems and frustrations as well. Might as well make the best of whatever we have, when we can.

Does it make sense to you have KD come back and play in a playoff series against the Raptors, Celtics, or Heat?

So you want your star player recovering from an Achilles injury whose been out a whole year to get maybe 10-15 games with his new teammates and then go straight into playing in the playoffs facing the best defensive teams in the league so that you can “collect some data”? :roll:

i dont think it makes sense to play hm... but opponent is irrelevant to that. no D can slow durant
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,883

Post#322 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:52 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:I always expected KD to play this season and still do. A normal recovery time table was March. As long as Kyrie is healthy, and we're a 7 seed or better, we should see a minutes restricted KD.

I would rather let that Achilles heal as much as possible
That's not how it works...

I know, but do we want to really play him now? This season is a wash, we are not even remotely prepared to compete against the Bucks. I'd rather put Durant out there with a roster that is ready to win now. Marks has some work to do in the summer.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#323 » by gigantes » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:27 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
gigantes wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:There's minimal flexibility with this roster, and it should be largely similar next year. You need to at least give it a low expectations dry run. I think the dream scenario is getting into the 6/7 spot, and having all of the size in the 1/4/5 (Milwuakee/Toronto/Philly). I'd have some confidence matching up with Boston & Miami if we have a healthy KD & Kyrie.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. If it's possible to safely see how Durant integrates with the roster, I see no reason not to get that useful data.

If Durant is given the go-ahead by medical professionals, and he feels comfortable doing it, there's no legit reason for further rest and rehabilitation. He will already have completed all that. Yes, he could injure himself again of course, but that's true of any player at any time. No point in psyching yourself out over something like that. No point in needlessly building up rust, either.

I also think that KD (like Irving) has the potential to set an example and help teach younger players about the finer points of the game. That's probably a whole lot easier when you're actually playing. This has been a frustrating season, sure, but there's still some opportunities to test some things out, learn from what's not working, and get a jump on next season. KD coming back early could assist with all that.

Not to mention, there's probably a solid chance that next season presents unexpected problems and frustrations as well. Might as well make the best of whatever we have, when we can.

Does it make sense to you have KD come back and play in a playoff series against the Raptors, Celtics, or Heat?

So you want your star player recovering from an Achilles injury whose been out a whole year to get maybe 10-15 games with his new teammates and then go straight into playing in the playoffs facing the best defensive teams in the league so that you can “collect some data”? :roll:

Yes, absolutely, for the multiple reasons I mentioned.

Some PT is better than no PT. If he's ready, he's ready. You're rarely going to have a perfect scenario, so why not?

Next season, something's probably going to be broken as well. Want to call that one a wash and wait for the season after that? When does this thinking end...?

Prokorov wrote:we invested 120 million in KD. he had to miss most of one year. this is probably the best chance we will have to win a title in the next 10-20 years.. I think you go a billion percent cautious and hold him out to next year even if he is 110% ready before the playoffs.

if he got hurt again, his career could be over or he could become a role player. dobt mess around when you for the first time in franchise history have a top 2 player

He could already be a role player, or reduced player, due to post-injury effects and age, and we simply don't know it yet. The penny has to drop at some point.

Even if next season or two are our best chance in the next 10-20yrs (which I don't really believe, anyway), it still doesn't mean it's a great chance. The league is full of beastly, highly-tuned teams just destroying lesser teams. The chances of a healthy KD & Durant, plus the oddball collection of parts that we have rising to that level is only speculative. The chances of both rising to that level and then being a decisive level above the others seems pretty remote at the moment.

We went from young, hard-working, overachieving, egalitarian team built on good fundamentals to a team that everyone's all anxious about playing levels and levels above that, in the space of only a season or two. We're not even as good as last season's team, arguably. If you can't enjoy the process, what's the point?

EDIT: KD could wind up playing for Team USA as well, so there's another opportunity for existential angst. :P
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#324 » by ProspectPark » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:20 pm

gigantes wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
gigantes wrote:Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. If it's possible to safely see how Durant integrates with the roster, I see no reason not to get that useful data.

Some PT is better than no PT. If he's ready, he's ready. You're rarely going to have a perfect scenario, so why not?

Next season, something's probably going to be broken as well. Want to call that one a wash and wait for the season after that? When does this thinking end...?

Prokorov wrote:we invested 120 million in KD. he had to miss most of one year. this is probably the best chance we will have to win a title in the next 10-20 years.. I think you go a billion percent cautious and hold him out to next year even if he is 110% ready before the playoffs.

if he got hurt again, his career could be over or he could become a role player. dobt mess around when you for the first time in franchise history have a top 2 player

He could already be a role player, or reduced player, due to post-injury effects and age, and we simply don't know it yet. The penny has to drop at some point.

Even if next season or two are our best chance in the next 10-20yrs (which I don't really believe, anyway), it still doesn't mean it's a great chance. The league is full of beastly, highly-tuned teams just destroying lesser teams. The chances of a healthy KD & Durant, plus the oddball collection of parts that we have rising to that level is only speculative. The chances of both rising to that level and then being a decisive level above the others seems pretty remote at the moment.

We went from young, hard-working, overachieving, egalitarian team built on good fundamentals to a team that everyone's all anxious about playing levels and levels above that, in the space of only a season or two. We're not even as good as last season's team, arguably. If you can't enjoy the process, what's the point?

EDIT: KD could wind up playing for Team USA as well, so there's another opportunity for existential angst. :P

So on a team that’s already struggling with consistency, you want to drastically shake up the roster and rotations right before the playoffs just so you can collect some data?
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#325 » by gigantes » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:53 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:So on a team that’s already struggling with consistency, you want to drastically shake up the roster and rotations right before the playoffs just so you can collect some data?

What's the aim of this season, anyway?

Does this look like a team that can even make it out of the first round?

Who says "drastically shake up the roster and rotations," anyway? Isn't it an option to work in Durant in limited situations?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#326 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 pm

gigantes wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
gigantes wrote:Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. If it's possible to safely see how Durant integrates with the roster, I see no reason not to get that useful data.

I will be livid if either Irving or Durant play for team usa this summer. Absolutely not.

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#327 » by GTR11 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:00 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
On the bright side he's doing some work.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#328 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:19 pm

Read on Twitter

ahem

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#329 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:46 pm

I can not wait for the KD era
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#330 » by ProspectPark » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Read on Twitter
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#331 » by ProspectPark » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:10 pm

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#332 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:32 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's not important.

the name of the interviewer, is what we need to know.

3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#333 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:23 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's not important.

Ahhhh, a man of exquisite taste. Taylor Rooks is her name.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#334 » by Stone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:52 pm

Whoa, ...she is amazing. There clearly is chemistry or a connection between them. Good on you KD. Don't get friend zoned!!!
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#335 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:12 am

3pt_chucker wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's not important.

Ahhhh, a man of exquisite taste. Taylor Rooks is her name.

lord have mercy. :o

ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#336 » by ProspectPark » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:43 am

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#337 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Mar 5, 2020 5:54 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's not important.

There was a twinkle in his eye. :lol:
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#338 » by Paradise » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:27 pm

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#339 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

That first step looks crisp. Nic better get used to that punishment.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,808

Post#340 » by Rich Rane » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:30 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter

That first step looks crisp. Nic better get used to that punishment.

Just saw this. It's tough to look for the pull up, the first step and drive then pull up, or the blow by. Kinda rough defensive assignment for anyone, especially with a lot of room for Durant to work with in a 4-on-4, especially for a rookie.

While it's nice to see Durant progressing very well after that injury, it's also encouraging that Nic is getting tested hard.

Return to Brooklyn Nets