The Malik Beasley Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,823

Re: The Malik Beasley Thread 

Post#101 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:14 pm

I think his upside is tier three, though the most likely outcome is tier four.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#102 » by Killboard » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:19 pm

Klomp wrote:
darmani wrote:
Klomp wrote:Sometimes, players play better when they have a longer leash and can get into a rhythm. Beasley seems to be one of those players who is better with an increased role.

Read on Twitter

Correlation does not imply causation. If anything, better shooting percentage is the cause why he gets more playing time, not the other way around. On a deep team like the Nuggets it's difficult for a role player to get a lot of time on the court when he has a poor shooting night.

Here are the Wolves and Suns legend Wesley Johnson's career shooting splits:

40+ min: .574 TS%
30-39 min: .535 TS%
20-29 min: .500 TS%
10-19 min: .436 TS%
0-9 min: .378 TS%

Sure, that's probably part of it. But the comparison to Wes isn't really fair because Malik performs at a completely higher level in those same minutes.

40+: Beasley 123 ORtg, Johnson 107 ORtg
30-39: Beasley 120 ORtg, Johnson 102 ORtg
20-29: Beasley 111 Rtg, Johnson 96 ORtg
10-19: Beasley 93 Rtg, Johnson 85 ORtg

Also Denver is tad better than those Wolves/Suns teams.
Killboard
Analyst

Post#103 » by Killboard » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:21 pm

Klomp wrote:I think his upside is tier three, though the most likely outcome is tier four.

The problem is those guys can create his own shot and even create for others too. I don't see that in Malik up to this point.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,823

Post#104 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:30 pm

Killboard wrote:
Klomp wrote:I think his upside is tier three, though the most likely outcome is tier four.

The problem is those guys can create his own shot and even create for others too. I don't see that in Malik up to this point.

That's why I said that's his upside. If he settles in as a young JJ Redick as purely a shooter, that's still a good No. 3 option in my books.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Killboard
Analyst

Post#105 » by Killboard » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:16 pm

Klomp wrote:
Killboard wrote:

That's why I said that's his upside. If he settles in as a young JJ Redick as purely a shooter, that's still a good No. 3 option in my books.

I should have specified Tier4 are guys who can create better than Beasley as their assist and FTA seems to indicate.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#106 » by Calinks » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:34 pm

Yea I don't know if he can ever be a all star level NBA guy but he can be really good. Reddick, Buddy Hield, maybe even a lesser CJ McCollum type.

Wolves still need a go to Alpha at the wing IMO so maybe that pushes Beasley out eventually but he can be a good third piece on a wolves team that makes the playoffs. He has some work to do to get there but I can realistically see it. Couldn't do that with Wiggins or anyone else we had besides ROCO if he was playing the 3.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,934

Post#107 » by Mamba4Goat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:12 pm

Calinks wrote:Yea I don't know if he can ever be a all star level NBA guy but he can be really good. Reddick, Buddy Hield, maybe even a lesser CJ McCollum type.

Wolves still need a go to Alpha at the wing IMO so maybe that pushes Beasley out eventually but he can be a good third piece on a wolves team that makes the playoffs. He has some work to do to get there but I can realistically see it. Couldn't do that with Wiggins or anyone else we had besides ROCO if he was playing the 3.

I'd be happy with him turning into Joe Harris.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#108 » by KGdaBom » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:37 pm

Mamba4Goat wrote:
Calinks wrote:Yea I don't know if he can ever be a all star level NBA guy but he can be really good. Reddick, Buddy Hield, maybe even a lesser CJ McCollum type.

I'd be happy with him turning into Joe Harris.

I'm hopeful that he will be better than that.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#109 » by KGdaBom » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:07 am

Beasley making a Beasliever out of me tonight.
Magoose
Junior
And1: 136

Post#110 » by Magoose » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:34 pm

He's definitely a competitor and cold blooded finisher. Still lacks creating his own shot and fighting through screens.

Wonder what offers Beas can expect this offseason if he can keep up with his play and what would be a good contract for the Wolves.

My guess is someone's going to throw like 3 years 54 at him. I think we would match that and I guess I could live with that.
My hope is though that we're gonna retain him for 3y/45.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#111 » by The Rebel » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:05 pm

darmani wrote:
Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Beasley played poorly for the Nuggets this season after playing very well for them as a fill in starter for a lot of last year.

Sometimes, players play better when they have a longer leash and can get into a rhythm. Beasley seems to be one of those players who is better with an increased role.

Read on Twitter

Correlation does not imply causation. If anything, better shooting percentage is the cause why he gets more playing time, not the other way around. On a deep team like the Nuggets it's difficult for a role player to get a lot of time on the court when he has a poor shooting night.

Here are the Wolves and Suns legend Wesley Johnson's career shooting splits:

40+ min: .574 TS%
30-39 min: .535 TS%
20-29 min: .500 TS%
10-19 min: .436 TS%
0-9 min: .378 TS%

Actually if you know about the Nuggets team and Beasley you will find that his minutes were not really dependent on his shooting at all, never have been.

To understand what has happened with Beasley you have to understand the way Malone works. I as well as several other Nuggets fans do not think Malone is as good of a coach as others, and a large part of that is the way he has handled things with the young guys. I say he got extremely lucky with Jokic, Murray, and Millsap doing so well and liking him.

With the bench being so deep Malone was constantly changing rotations and has never made it a secret that he is a defense 1st guy. He might put a lineup in for 2 minutes, not like the way they look in those 2 minutes and pull 2 or 3 guys to change the mix on the floor. With those 2 or 3 guys not getting any minutes the rest of the night. It may be a missed rotation on defense, guys not getting back fast enough on a fast break, or just a gut feeling that will end a guy's night. Having 11-12 rotation quality guys will allow a coach to do that kind of stuff, but I do not think it was good for any of their development.

Malone has his favorites. His love for Barton and Craig are well documented on the Nuggets board and goes back years. Many Nuggets fans will tell you that those 2 guys are allowed to make mistake after mistake while even Jokic or Murray will get pulled for making 1 or 2 of them. Fact is Beasley and Juancho were not getting minutes partially due to those 2 guys being gifted minutes at all times. MPJ is a special talent, and has the chance to be a superstar, and even he has his minutes jerked around while Barton and Craig get plenty, so it is not like it was just those 2.

Beasley never got a real chance, being the 3rd SG going into the season last year. Then the injuries started, Beasley suddenly burst on the scene and was everything we hoped he would be. He put 16/3/2 on 70% TS% as a starter last year, and was great when he got minutes. It was to the point that just about every Nuggets fan wanted Barton moved to create more minutes for Beasley and Juancho (who has his own interesting story), but this year Harris and Barton were handed the starting jobs and they went back on the bench mess.

I think most Nuggets fans will tell you that both Juancho and Beasley lost their confidence and struggled with the constant fluctuating roles and minutes. Yet when Barton missed a couple of games or Harris missed a couple of games and Beasley was given real minutes, Beasley suddenly produced like he always had when he got minutes.

You will find that many Nuggets fans expected this type of deal to go down, but I do not think you will find a single one that did not think Beasley was going to be a really good starter in this league if he ever got a real chance. I don't think any of us are surprised by how productive he and Juancho have been with you guys, we all expected it.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#112 » by minimus » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:02 pm

Read on Twitter
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#113 » by Calinks » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:01 pm

"The gym is in the hotel, so they messed up doing that."

LOL! His quotes are great. He will be hilarious if he's ever a key piece on a playoff team, his interviews will be gold.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#114 » by TheZachAttack » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:48 pm

I think I view Beasley ultimately in an ideal role as a 6th man who plays the clutch minutes down the stretch as well. I think he can likely be your 3rd or 4th best scorer... but in an ideal scenario we surround D Lo and Towns with 3 wings who are really long and elite defensively while also being able to space the floor offensively.

Malik would lead the 2nd team offense and play with the starters in crunch time for max offense.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#115 » by TheDominator273 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:04 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:I think I view Beasley ultimately in an ideal role as a 6th man who plays the clutch minutes down the stretch as well. I think he can likely be your 3rd or 4th best scorer... but in an ideal scenario we surround D Lo and Towns with 3 wings who are really long and elite defensively while also being able to space the floor offensively.

Malik would lead the 2nd team offense and play with the starters in crunch time for max offense.
He needs to improve his ability to create his own shot before he could be relied on to be a super 6th man. What makes him such a threat even without that ability is KAT and DLo draw a lot of attention so he's able to get free in transition and with off ball screens.

If he's the focus of the offense running the bench unit his efficiency will drop because we don't really have anyone else he'd be playing minutes with that will keep teams from focusing on him and running him off the 3 pt line.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#116 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:08 am

TheDominator273 wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:I think I view Beasley ultimately in an ideal role as a 6th man who plays the clutch minutes down the stretch as well. I think he can likely be your 3rd or 4th best scorer... but in an ideal scenario we surround D Lo and Towns with 3 wings who are really long and elite defensively while also being able to space the floor offensively.

He needs to improve his ability to create his own shot before he could be relied on to be a super 6th man. What makes him such a threat even without that ability is KAT and DLo draw a lot of attention so he's able to get free in transition and with off ball screens.

If he's the focus of the offense running the bench unit his efficiency will drop because we don't really have anyone else he'd be playing minutes with that will keep teams from focusing on him and running him off the 3 pt line.

I see what you’re saying, but I disagree. I agree that Beasley struggles to create his own shot on his own. I’m not suggesting that shouldering some of the scoring load in that scenario involves Beasley going iso on everyone.

1) He will still play lots of minutes with Towns and/or Russell

2) He’s playing more minutes against lesser players.

3) I think Beasley can still easily shoulder the scoring load on the second unit playing off of a PG even at McLaughlin level and using a big to create shooting space via hand offs and picks and Beasley’s willingness to move without the ball.

I’m not concerned about Beasley’s ability to get off open or semi open 3 point looks against bench units
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#117 » by Calinks » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:06 am

Beasley: "I want more!!! :devil: "

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#118 » by minimus » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:27 am

Malik gives a lot of effort both in defense and offense. He needs to improve his positioning in team defense, polish his technique/footwork in defense. He is a mostly straight-line driver, does not use left hand at all. But these issues are fixable. One thing I noticed about him is that he is not a ball hog, he passes the ball when he sees someone open. That is so different from the beginning of this season, or last two seasons with Wiggins, Teague who are not natural passers.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#119 » by Jedzz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:51 pm

He finished at the net better against Heat. I hope that's a sign of improvement and not just a matchup thing. He finished through fouls. Makes such a huge difference and really adds better output on all the effort he brings. Guy is a motor.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#120 » by Dewey » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:43 pm

Magoose wrote:He's definitely a competitor and cold blooded finisher. Still lacks creating his own shot and fighting through screens.

Wonder what offers Beas can expect this offseason if he can keep up with his play and what would be a good contract for the Wolves.

My guess is someone's going to throw like 3 years 54 at him. I think we would match that and I guess I could live with that.
My hope is though that we're gonna retain him for 3y/45.

I would echo this ...

Struggle is that initial footwork w/ball, and then on the drive, his ability to improvise is very limited. In transition, he's been doing better and starting to finish under control. That said, I think he will develop into a pretty good defender on the otherside of the ball. Intruiging dude and I like him, but I fear over-paying him.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves