Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Re: I Heart Okongwu 

Post#42 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:33 am

New top-10 picks, risers and fallers

Onyeka Okongwu | Fr. | C | USC

Mock draft: No. 7

Okongwu recently passed two significant tests, posting 23 points, 14 rebounds and 6 blocks at Oregon and then 23 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks at Arizona -- arguably the best competition he'll face in the regular season. Okongwu's impact was felt well beyond the numbers, as he has developed into a devastating force on the defensive end with his ability to cover ground, alter shots around the rim and switch onto anyone. His instincts, timing and mobility give him game-changing potential.

While Okongwu's defense is what makes him special, he has also been quite a force offensively without having any plays run for him. He catches everything thrown his way, displays phenomenal body control and brings soft touch with either hand.

Although not much of a creator or floor-spacer, Okongwu has a high ceiling thanks to his feel and improvement trajectory, leading some scouts to ponder his candidacy as the top big man in this draft (perhaps ahead of James Wiseman). He has moved firmly into our top 10.
ESPN Insider
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#43 » by Marcus » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:40 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

Okongwu recently passed two significant tests, posting 23 points, 14 rebounds and 6 blocks at Oregon and then 23 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks at Arizona -- arguably the best competition he'll face in the regular season. Okongwu's impact was felt well beyond the numbers, as he has developed into a devastating force on the defensive end with his ability to cover ground, alter shots around the rim and switch onto anyone. His instincts, timing and mobility give him game-changing potential.

While Okongwu's defense is what makes him special, he has also been quite a force offensively without having any plays run for him. He catches everything thrown his way, displays phenomenal body control and brings soft touch with either hand.

Although not much of a creator or floor-spacer, Okongwu has a high ceiling thanks to his feel and improvement trajectory, leading some scouts to ponder his candidacy as the top big man in this draft (perhaps ahead of James Wiseman). He has moved firmly into our top 10.
ESPN Insider

gonna be a really good pro.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#44 » by gambitx777 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:06 am

Wiz fan here I've been coming around on him a lot lately

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#45 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:28 am

Read on Twitter
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#46 » by Marcus » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:43 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

reallllllllly starting to feel like there's more to work with there than he's being given credit for. Like he could come in day one and just do the things he's going to be asked to do i.e. play big, grab boards, switch on defense, rim protect, PnR, and rim-run and he'll do all those things well as asked of him without any pushback. But if a coach is willing to delve deeper into his skillset he can be a lot more. There just seems to be layers to what he brings to the table that still hasn't been explored yet.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#47 » by MemphisX » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:58 am

Reminds me of Bam so much.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#48 » by Stillwater » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:24 am

Bosh?
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#49 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:32 am

MemphisX wrote:Reminds me of Bam so much.

He does have a lot of Bam in him. Clearly, miles better as a prospect. I just don't see the HUGE shoulders. Bam had those Dwight shoulders even if he didn't have the frame. Oyneka's frame is bigger than Bam's at the same age but his shoulders are more like Emeka Okafor. That kinda limits just how big he can get in my opinion. I wish he had really broad shoulders, I have really broad shoulders and it's true, you can easily gain weight once you are physically mature. I think he might peak out as a tweener between the 4/5 like Okafor did. I still expect him to be an excellent big man. Just not the same ceiling as Bam had.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#50 » by clyde21 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:35 am

yea, Bam monster shoulders, you could tell he was gonna fill out nicely, Onyeka is kinda as big as hes gonna get tbh
King Ken
General Manager

Post#51 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:02 am

clyde21 wrote:yea, Bam monster shoulders, you could tell he was gonna fill out nicely, Onyeka is kinda as big as hes gonna get tbh

You also gotta account wingspan and standing reach. People would knock Bam because he was 6'9 with a 7'2.5 wingspan saying, he will not be a true center. I knew that was a lie due to his body type and mobility. That said, he massively improved under Spo.

Onyeka is 6'9 with a 7'1ft wingspan. His body favorably compares to Emeka Okafor and Al Horford but his athleticism compares to Horford. The issue I always have with comparing anyone to Horford is Al's tremendous intangibles, instincts, and feel for the game are only seen by three other guys in the last 20 years for me as college prospects. That's Mikal Bridges, De'Andre Hunter, and J. Noah. It's impossible to see those things from a freshman. I clearly feel there is a gap between Horford as a prospect and Okongwu. Onyeka was massively better as a freshman though and just a lot more polished as a frosh.

What you like about Onyeka is tremendous versatility, explosive, fast, strong, a winning mindset. I like winners, he won multiple HS championships as the man in Chino Hills without the Ball brothers. That said, they still had talent but not quite the level of the Ball brothers. Big O's mindset is different from Al's. Al's mindset is to make the best Basketball play. He's not a natural scorer. He's a natural team player and getting the best of all others. Big's O mindset is do what's asked of me. He's really coachable but not a coach on the floor type. It should be interesting with him. I really think he's a 4 for the first couple of seasons but will eventually move to the 5 full time.

I really like him as a prospect but I wonder what's his true peak. Horford was so advanced as a prospect when he entered.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,769

Post#52 » by Upperclass » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:31 am

He reminds me of Dwight Howard actually
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#53 » by Stillwater » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:37 pm

I mean you really are not seeing the kids arsenal in college how is being used anyway. The soft touch and post moves sure the shot blocking and overall defensive awareness sure but he was taking and making 3s regularly in AAU nice form on the j etc.
My only concern is can he be a playmaker and take his game to an elite level...by adding the range
He's looking like a top 5 sleeper going on his floor and a top 3 big going on his ceiling.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#54 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:16 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

ESPN Insider

Just wanted to emphasize the bolded part. He's got good size and athleticism, but it's the instincts, timing, and mobility that set him apart. That allows him to effectively play bigger and faster. He will make his team better - much like Bam has done in Miami. And it'll be interesting to see how his perimeter game looks in a couple of years.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#55 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Anybody here old enough to remember prime-Alonzo Mourning?

The shot-blocking and post game sound reminiscent of 'Zo...a bit anyways.

Mourning was a supreme 90s era defensive big. OKONGWU seems like his ceiling is Alonzo Mourning-lite?

King Ken
General Manager

Post#56 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Anybody here old enough to remember prime-Alonzo Mourning?

The shot-blocking and post game sound reminiscent of 'Zo...a bit anyways.

Mourning was a supreme 90s era defensive big. OKONGWU seems like his ceiling is Alonzo Mourning-lite?

Zo? Zo had excellent talent and was (6'9.5 without shoes, 7'6.5 wingspan, 249 pounds). Naw...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:18 pm

King Ken wrote:Zo? Zo had excellent talent.

Zo was nice. But he wasn't quite in the same tier as Shaq, Olajuwon, David Robinson, Pat Ewing, David Robinson or Tim Duncan...or even Karl Malone.

Similarly, Okongwu is unlikely to reach the heights of Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Giannis, Rudy Gobert or other elite big men of this era.

But he can still carve out a niche as a defensive stalwart at the five.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#58 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:29 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
King Ken wrote:Zo? Zo had excellent talent.

Zo was nice. But he wasn't quite in the same tier as Shaq, Olajuwon, David Robinson, Pat Ewing, David Robinson or Tim Duncan...or even Karl Malone.

Similarly, Okongwu is unlikely to reach the heights of Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, Giannis, Rudy Gobert or other elite big men of this era.

But he can still carve out a niche as a defensive stalwart at the five.

He wasn't as skilled as guys like Hakeem, physically blessed as guys like Shaq and Robinson, and guys like Duncan are rare as they come. He's another guy with the tremendous intangibles, instincts, and feel for the game but the difference between him and Al, De'Andre, and Mikal is Duncan is also an excellent talent with excellent size. I wouldn't even bring up guys like Malone, he wouldn't work as well in the modern NBA, he was an ideal fit for his era where spacing was limited, transition offense was more consistent and physicality and post-up play was more valued.

Zo was great for his era. To compare him athletically or talent-wise to Onyeka is a mistake as a prospect.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#59 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:05 am

I see Capella as a nice, high end comparison
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#60 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:37 am

I was thinking more in the Ben Wallace-lite mode on defense with better hands and shooting touch.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to NBA Draft