Game 56: Cleveland Cavaliers (15-40) @ Miami Heat (35-20) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#1 » by ducler » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:55 pm

Read on Twitter
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Game 56: Cleveland Cavaliers (15-40) @ Miami Heat (35-20) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:46 am

So beating a bad defensive team in wizards by playing good defense won't get it done in this one. They need better ball movement or more than 1 player drop close to 30 to even be in it imo and with KLove out, that would be a surprise obviously but maybe Miami can get caught sleeping
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,907

Post#3 » by tundraknight » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:15 am

I already assumed the Cavs would get pounded into the ground tonight. With the combination of a second night of a back to back, and the Heat being vastly superior to the Wizards.

Excellent night for the tank when you also have the Hawks squeaking out a win. Gotta give thanks to the Mavericks for sitting out both Doncic and Godzingis.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:02 am

tundraknight wrote:I already assumed the Cavs would get pounded into the ground tonight. With the combination of a second night of a back to back, and the Heat being vastly superior to the Wizards.

Excellent night for the tank when you also have the Hawks squeaking out a win. Gotta give thanks to the Mavericks for sitting out both Doncic and Godzingis.

Yeah the are not needing to tank at all at this point. Get a few wins play hard to finish the year and to hell with it. Being the 2nd worst didn't do **** for them last draft and it probably won't this time either.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:09 pm

Last night is a good example as to why complaints about Love's defense are overblown. He doesn't play and we give up 80 points in a half.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Last night is a good example as to why complaints about Love's defense are overblown. He doesn't play and we give up 80 points in a half.

Second night of a back to back and we're still trying to figure out what to do with Drummond and a new coach, so, all and all it's a rather bad example.

But Kevin Love is certainly not the only problem with our defense, in fact, our worst defender in terms of opponents pp100 isn't Kevin, or even Garland, it's Collin Sexton at 120.2 pp100 and if we don't figure something out in short order Drummond will likely surpass him.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:48 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Last night is a good example as to why complaints about Love's defense are overblown. He doesn't play and we give up 80 points in a half.

Second night of a back to back and we're still trying to figure out what to do with Drummond and a new coach, so, all and all it's a rather bad example.

But Kevin Love is certainly not the only problem with our defense, in fact, our worst defender in terms of opponents pp100 isn't Kevin, or even Garland, it's Collin Sexton at 120.2 pp100 and if we don't figure something out in short order Drummond will likely surpass him.

I thought trading away Henson, who had the best advanced defensive stats on the team, was a curious place to start. Again, I'm fine with the F.O. getting any notions of building around an old school center beaten out of them in the last third of this season. You need a floor spacer or an athletic rim protector. If you can find someone who can do both, even better. TT's defensive rating is garbage as well.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#8 » by JonFromVA » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:40 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I thought trading away Henson, who had the best advanced defensive stats on the team, was a curious place to start. Again, I'm fine with the F.O. getting any notions of building around an old school center beaten out of them in the last third of this season. You need a floor spacer or an athletic rim protector. If you can find someone who can do both, even better. TT's defensive rating is garbage as well.

Yes, Henson was part of some of those bench groups that managed to play some defense and the team was 9.2 pp100 better on defense with him on the floor. We're also 3.0 pp100 better when Larry is on the floor.

I've brought this up before, but Beilein's refusal to mess around with the starting lineup hurts our ability to draw conclusions here because frankly it's easier to defend opponents bench rotations than their starters. When Beilein left the bench bunch in to play against the opponents starters, they'd typically start to fade - but it's unclear if they'd just been playing too many minutes or were outgunned.

Henson is a light weight and is pretty easy to push around, so that may have factored in to his usage beyond just not being viewed as anything beyond trade bait.

Heck, speaking of mysteriously ignored big men - I was surprised to see Zizic dusted off and get some garbage time .vs. the Heat. I wasn't sure he'd gotten over his vertigo.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,907

Post#9 » by tundraknight » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:07 pm

Stillwater wrote:
tundraknight wrote:I already assumed the Cavs would get pounded into the ground tonight. With the combination of a second night of a back to back, and the Heat being vastly superior to the Wizards.

Yeah the are not needing to tank at all at this point. Get a few wins play hard to finish the year and to hell with it. Being the 2nd worst didn't do **** for them last draft and it probably won't this time either.

I just want this season to hurry up and end tbh.

I understand some people may want the moral victory of winning a few extra games to pat themselves on the back and feel good about playing hard for their new Head Coach.

But with 25 games to go it’s still a real possibility the Cavaliers could lose their 1st round pick altogether if they win too many games.

http://www.tankathon.com/

The tank race is looking closer than ever.

The Cavs would have to fall to 7th to make it possible to lose their 1st. The Hornets currently in 7th place only have 3 more wins than us with 25 games to go.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:43 pm

tundraknight wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I just want this season to hurry up and end tbh.

I understand some people may want the moral victory of winning a few extra games to pat themselves on the back and feel good about playing hard for their new Head Coach.

But with 25 games to go it’s still a really possible the Cavaliers could lose their 1st round pick altogether if they win too many games.

http://www.tankathon.com/

The tank race is looking closer than ever.

The Cavs would have to fall to 7th to make it possible to lose their 1st. The Hornets currently in 7th place only have 3 more wins than us with 25 games to go.
I don't have a problem with trying out different lineups to see what might work better. They've got some serious personnel decisions to make with Drummond and Sexton. The Hornets and Pistons are the only teams tanking hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers