Scottie Lewis

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Scottie Lewis 

Post#1 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:37 pm

I find Scottie Lewis to be the most intriguing prospect of 2020. Scottie might be the most polarizing prospect with James Wiseman in 2020. Scottie has four tiers where people see him.

Tier 1. He will be the best player in this draft class when it's all said and done.

Tier 2. I see some upsides, at best 3/D

Tier 3. He has real legit upside but he's so far from helping a NBA team right now. He's two years from being two years away. He needs to stay in school for ALL FOUR YEARS.

Tier 4. Undrafted. Trevon Duval like. Even if he has upsides, he will need so much luck.

I fall in line with tier 3. I can see why guys who like him like him. He's a very good talent. There aren't that many of those in this draft. 4 at most while there are 3 excellent talents. So I see what's intriguing about him.

It's that he's extremely raw on offense. It is extremely RAW and it's not like I don't like his defense which I rate as an excellent for a rookie, 7 for an SG.

For example:

As you see, he tends to be late in rotations and doesn't really communicate all that well but the natural God-given talent is just ample. What he can do with just God-given talent is not normal. He still got a lot of learning to do as well. His length helps him so much as well as his motor, speed, and feel for the attacker. The defender I've compared him to is Kobe Bryant. It's been a while that I've seen anyone like Kobe on that end. Lewis might be the first. Like a raw Kobe Bryant, his on-ball defense is just much better than his team defense at this stage.

Offensively, he's extremely raw. doordoor123 talked about guys like Lewis before:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1700531

- Passing and Shooting: I put these two in the same category because unless you’re Giannis Antetokounmpo or Ben Simmons no one can be good in the NBA without shooting and passing. No one even gets minutes without both shooting and passing unless you have an elite defender on your hands like Cory Brewer or Andre Roberson. Shooting and passing is important because of space and the quality defenders there are in the NBA. Shooting creates space in the middle and passing creates space all over the floor. In analytics turnovers are a big statistic in basketball and putting a bad passer on the floor creates a possibility to lose possession or multiple possessions and give up points, which could lose a game for your team.

Putting a bad shooter on the floor does something similar. Overall most teams would rather have shooters on their team. Even sharpshooters like Kyle Korver are good passers. And while it doesn’t seem like it all the time since they’re always jacking up shots, the ability to pass is present. Look at shooting stroke, ability to shoot over guys with length or athleticism, shot percentage/usage, ability to shoot on the move, ability to pass into the post, run the P&R, make correct passes, etc. Turnover to assists ratio also matters.

I strongly feel scoring, shot selection, passing, shooting, dribbling, and attacking will all be massive hurdles for him as a prospect. I felt thestepien did a really good job on him. https://www.thestepien.com/2020/02/12/scottie-lewis-scouting-report/

But I even less high day 1 than them. His scoring is bad and adds his shot selection, it's going to be hard to really play the role he needs to play in the NBA, G-League or period. He's going to be a #1 or #2 option but his floor is exceptionally low, so much so that he needs to be a non-option outside of open threes and straight-line drives but with his shot selection and shot IQ, it's going to be impossible for a coach to put him on the floor in year 1.

What I do like is his potential if developed in time. He reminds me a lot of Terance Davis from Ole Miss last year offensively. Just a super raw version. Now Lewis has a lot more talent. Davis is a decent talent and turned himself into a good player as a prospect. Now he didn't get drafted because he didn't fit what most teams needed outside of from the #11 or #12 man and even if he did, they wanted a two-way deal. Basically, he wasn't seen as the high-end top of the rotation and for obvious reason. He's not a PDS player, he's a straight-line driver who can score, and has turned his shot in a respectable one but teams want you to fit a role as an SG. Also, teams want those players to have playmaking skills. Since he's been with the Raptors, he's greatly improved his spot-up shooting and he's really good at straight-line drives. In time, I can see Lewis doing this in the right situation.

Lewis has a ton to like. He's a Basketball athlete. That helps and matters unike Davis. He moves like an unskilled Kobe Bryant but his skill level is Kent Bazemore senior year (ODU) with less playmaking potential than Bazemore. He's just exceptionally raw. Was he a Power Forward in HS? Jason Rich vibes in terms of lack of skill with such freak athleticism. As someone who seen Kent Bazemore develop, he had a point where he just topped out skill-wise, like this is as good as I can get. His handles cleaned up. His off the ball offense never really changed much. He was always a tremendous cutter and transition player but never a natural movement player. He didn't have the advanced moves at all and never developed them. He did have a good first step but nothing like Lewis.

He just peaked at a good player status but really didn't have a true position. He was an SF ability wise but really couldn't defend them consistently as he was just too small for bigger wings. He was never a natural shooter although he became a good spot-up guy and I see Lewis having that and some. Bazemore was clearly a willing passer but not a decent one ever. He just had too many positional flaws. I see a lot of those flaws in Lewis.

I see why Lewis is liked nonetheless. The talent, the athleticism, God-given ability, the motor, and the smooth-shooting release. But he has way too far to go for me.

2nd Rounder to Undrafted. I liked Miye Oni better from last year but he's in the same tier as guys from last year like Fletcher Magee, Justin James, John Konchar, Dewan Hernandez, Cody Martin, Luguentz Dort, and Mike Daum.

Floor: 5
Ceiling: 7.5

Higher End Comparisons - Terence Davis and Kent Bazemore

Outlier - No comparison. He would be the first of his kind, like Haliburton was last year and this year, an one of a kind. Haliburton did extremely well to return to school. He really changed my expectations for him. Lewis should do the same to a lesser extent. This is how I rated Haliburton last year before he pulled out: 45. Haliburton - 2020 prospect but low floor/mid ceiling. Can boost his ceiling in 2020. Has the ability.

I rated Haliburton higher last year than what Lewis is this year. I feel Lewis has the same ability to do so. It's hard to say how good he can be if he overachieves. He is very talented but patience is key. For me, he's two years from being two years away. The wrong system can pretty much send him to lower-end Europe. The right system can really accelerate his growth if he puts in the work and has the right vets around him. I would prefer to see him in a system where it's a natural ball movement system with other great ball handlers where he could be like Dorian Finney-Smith or Torrey Craig in year 3.

Max weight - 205-210

You?
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Re: Scottie Lewis 

Post#2 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:48 am

I have him #16 right now.

I see a career somewhere between what MKG has been the last few season (a guy who fans redicule the coach for giving him DNPs) and Tony Allen (a high minute player on teams with legitimate title asperations).

Honestly, I expect he is more likely to fall down my list than to rise up it. However, I'm sure he'll finish my list, at worst between 25-40.

Negative note to end on, the guy is not Thybulle.

Positive note to end on, I really think he could be Tony Allen 2.0.

Can he ever be even, average on offense? Can he consistenctly be only slightly below average offensivly?

If he gets the minutes people will hype him as an all defense guy.

But will his team be at such a disadvantage offensivly that he will be glued to the bench?

Can his character take being glued to the bench? Will a long-term stream of DNP's have him lose his passion for the game and begin to regress? Or will he work behind the scenes to become a better offensive player?

I like his character. I bet he ends up lasting at least 6 years in the NBA getting them checks. At worst. And frankly, anyone who is good enough to last 6+ years in the NBA is worth at minimum a top 40 pick.

Hes already good enough on defense to be a contributed, but that offense needs to get better (or I need to watch more of him because I'm missing something)

I tend to overrate defensive stars compared to the public. I had Mikal Bridges #6 in his class.

I think of wing defenders as the offensive linemen of the NBA. Alot of things happen because of these players but they don't get as much shine as the "skill" players.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:17 pm

freak defender, high level athlete, elite physical profile, and his offensive game is more developed than people think, just doesn't really get to use it at Florida at all.

he's gonna be the guy a few years from now people will be pounding their heads wondering how they missed out on him, when it's been obvious from the beginning.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,313

Post#4 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:03 pm

Not as high on him as Clyde is, I dont think his offensive game is all that developed, I think his offensive game is extremely raw.

Now with that said, I would be happier with my draft if I got the 15th pick and Lewis was there rather than getting the #1 pick. I personally think he is way too raw to use a top 10 pick on him, but I definitely love the upside with him.

6'5 with a 6'11 wingspan: so he has fantastic size for a wing
elite athleticism: whether its speed, quickness, explosion or lateral quickness the dude has it in spades
shooting: is a good FT shooter and has really good form on his shot. The consistency isn't there yet, but love the upside there
defensively: What happens when you mix fantastic size with fantastic athleticism with a guy who actually tries and wants to play defense. You get a top tier defender, Lewis is what people always thought Wiggins would be on the defensive end.

Just right now he has an inconsistent handle to go with his inconsistent jumper and inconsistent finishing at the rim. To me he is just a really raw prospect at the moment. But ya I love his upside without a doubt.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:25 pm

Scottie shooting 47/46/93 in conference play

keep sleeping
GatorbaitDD
Rookie
And1: 673

Post#6 » by GatorbaitDD » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:06 pm

I'm a big Gator fan. Scottie is super talented. Coaching is sub par at best. Won't surprise me at all to see him blow up in the NBA. He isn't as raw on offense as people suggest. The team simply doesn't run any sort of real offense and rarely gets out in transition. His defense speaks for itself.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Post#7 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:29 am

This guy screams Sam presti pick.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 4:05 am

defensive clinic tonight, bodied Antman, 3-10 from the field
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#9 » by Catchall » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:21 am

I've watched him for all of 45 seconds and he strikes me as being similar to Terrance Ferguson. He can do a little more off the dribble than TFerg though.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#10 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:02 am

With him knocking his threes down.. maybe he is Thybulle 2.0
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
King Ken
General Manager

Post#11 » by King Ken » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:With him knocking his threes down.. maybe he is Thybulle 2.0

Thybulle is a stocks monster. He clearly isn't that nor close to it. His defensive polish and size just isn't there. In time, he could potentially be a great defender but that's if his offense can keep him on the floor.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:24 pm

lol Lewis stocks rate as a freshman is the same as Thybulles, and what do you mean size isnt there? :-?
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#13 » by nolang1 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:41 pm

clyde21 wrote:lol Lewis stocks rate as a freshman is the same as Thybulles, and what do you mean size isnt there? :-?

If you’re going to compare what the two players did their respective freshman years, Lewis is almost exactly an entire year older than Thybulle was.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:43 pm

nolang1 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:lol Lewis stocks rate as a freshman is the same as Thybulles, and what do you mean size isnt there? :-?

If you’re going to compare what the two players did their respective freshman years, Lewis is almost exactly an entire year older than Thybulle was.

yes, Lewis is an older FS, we know
clyde21
RealGM

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:34 pm

Lewis same stock rate as Thybulle as a FS, better DBPM 5.3 to 3.9 (also has a better DBPM than Thy's soph year), better TS, WS/40, and PER by a considerable margin as well

and Lewis is doing this playing straight up point of attack defense against opposing team's best offensive weapon already
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#16 » by getrichordie » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:08 pm

Lewis’ two-way potential warrants a top-20 selection. Point. Blank. Period.

He’s still super young and a little raw which isn’t a bad thing. Being a little raw means it is easier to build better habits and sometimes it can mean that you are easier to coach.

If Lewis goes to the right team (ahem, Thunder), he’s going to immediately bolster a team’s defense and will continue to build upon that athletic foundation he has. As long as he can space the floor and hit a wing 3 or corner 3 at around 36% that’s all you really need to be an impact player in today’s league.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#17 » by nolang1 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:34 pm

clyde21 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

I’m not sure if you really know that since you have Lewis at the top of the draft even though he put up middling numbers as essentially a college sophomore.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#18 » by clyde21 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:43 pm

nolang1 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

I’m not sure if you really know that since you have Lewis at the top of the draft even though he put up middling numbers as essentially a college sophomore.

oh, you mean he's 20 instead of 19? well that completely changes everything.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#19 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:35 pm

I like Lewis too, think Nets should draft him.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#20 » by King Ken » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:26 pm

clyde21 wrote:Lewis same stock rate as Thybulle as a FS, better DBPM 5.3 to 3.9 (also has a better DBPM than Thy's soph year), better TS, WS/40, and PER by a considerable margin as well

and Lewis is doing this playing straight up point of attack defense against opposing team's best offensive weapon already

His defensive jump warrants more attention. He has improved his status with me of late. I still see a G leaguer in year 1 but his potential to be at least Bazemore level is within reach and to be much more isn't such an outlier as it once was for me.

Return to NBA Draft