Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Re: Deandre Ayton news and highlights 

Post#1841 » by cberry78 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:51 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Damkac wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

And he is the fastest player since Blake Griffin to grab 1000 rebounds to start a career.

It's obvious that we have in Ayton one of the best rebounders that we have seen in the history of this franchise.

Shaq was too old when he was a Sun, so probably Charles Barkley was the best one. Not sure about the second one...probably Marion. Third can be Mark West.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ayton ends being our best all-time rebounder. He is on his way for sure.
Nice improvement in his second season in the league.

What "the fastest" means? That he got them in the least games played or in the shortest time since getting in the NBA? If 2nd then it is super impressive with all the games he missed.

Would be awesome to have the Suns best all-time scorer and best all-time rebounder in Booker and Ayton. But they would need to spend their whole careers here and it won't happen if the team will not stop sucking.

I think that it is getting 1000 rebounds in the least games played to start the career. But I am not sure.
Least number of games to reach 1000 rebounds. 94 games, 4th fastest in recent NBA history (don't remember the date range they used for that qualification).

Sent from my moto e5 play using RealGM mobile app
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,500

Post#1842 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:59 am

Still want to see more trips to the line but at least his defense has been dare I say, phenomenal
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,787

Post#1843 » by TeamTragic » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:40 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Still want to see more trips to the line but at least his defense has been dare I say, phenomenal

How dare you give him a compliment?
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#1844 » by ATTL » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:40 am

GoranTragic wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Still want to see more trips to the line but at least his defense has been dare I say, phenomenal

How dare you give him a compliment?

I've been watching him biting his nails on the bench all night. That's not what you want to see from your number one pick.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#1845 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:38 pm

The rate of improvement is really something and if he keeps it up it really changes his long term projection. Like a one point him being passable on D would have been a decent outcome but him being really good moves to a whole other level.

Hell it even changes how you can build a lineup around him. If he's good on D and can anchor the back end they can absolutely get away with being smaller at the F spots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#1846 » by ATTL » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:19 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
The rate of improvement is really something and if he keeps it up it really changes his long term projection. Like a one point him being passable on D would have been a decent outcome but him being really good moves to a whole other level.

Hell it even changes how you can build a lineup around him. If he's good on D and can anchor the back end they can absolutely get away with being smaller at the F spots.

Kind of like dwight in orlando with Rashard Lewis as the 4.

Dwight and aytons age 21 seasons are actually very close statistically.

Per 36
Ayton
20.4 ppg 13.1 rpg 2.4 apg 1.8 bpg 54% fg 80% ft 17fga 2.7 fta 23.9usg

Dwight
17.2 ppg 12rpg 1.9 apg 1.9 bpg 60% fg 58.6 ft 10.4fga 7.9 fta 22.7usg

Different players offensively but they get similar touches.
We'll see how ayton develops defensively but I think his offensive game will be another level from dwight.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#1847 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:42 pm

ATTL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Per 36
Ayton

Dwight

We'll see how ayton develops defensively but I think his offensive game will be another level from dwight.
For sure. I really really hope everyone can stay healthy for this final stretch because I want to see more of the Rubio, Booker, Oubre, Bridges, Ayton lineup. The numbers so far have been great as a 5 man unit.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Post#1848 » by bwgood77 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:01 pm

ATTL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Per 36
Ayton

Dwight

He got to the line way more than any C today, but for him, it was obvious why given his FT%. Fouling Ayton so he gets to the line isn't necessarily a good proposition unless you can prevent a dunk, but it might be hard and you could give him an And1 and if it's not a dunk, it's not necessarily a good proposition since he is 70% at the rim but an 80% FT shooter.
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,090

Post#1849 » by starbosa10 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 pm

Questionable for tomorrow but will probably sit him due to ASB, give him some extra time
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,631

Post#1850 » by Saberestar » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:34 pm

Ayton came out of Arizona with a reputation as a sure-handed, sweet-shooting, super-athletic big man who could roll out of bed and put up 20 and 10, but who also had a long way to go to become a high-level interior defender. His early returns as a rookie did little to dissuade anyone of that opinion, and what progress he made in the second half of the 2018-19 season largely went by the boards when he opened the 2019-20 campaign with a 25-game suspension. Since his return, though, 2018’s no. 1 pick has shown significant improvement as a backline stopper by both the eye test …

… and the numbers. Ayton is holding his assignments to 40.5 percent shooting on the season, according to NBA.com’s tracking data. That’s the sixth-lowest defensive field goal percentage in the league among players who have defended at least 400 shots this season, behind only Giannis Antetokounmpo, Anthony Davis, Justin Holiday, Kawhi Leonard, and Rudy Gobert. Focus just on his work inside, and he’s holding opponents to 54.7 percent at the rim—22nd out of 66 players who have played 10 games and defended at least four such shots per game, and a whopping 10.2 percent improvement over his rookie mark.

Ayton grades out as a positive defender according to ESPN’s real plus-minus and player impact plus-minus; the Suns have given up 3.3 fewer points per 100 possessions with him on the court, allowing buckets at a rate that would rank 15th in the NBA in defensive efficiency. If that doesn’t seem all that exciting to you, you’re probably not a Suns fan who’s been waiting six seasons for a league-average defense—let alone one led by a 21-year-old who seems to be growing in real time.

Progress isn’t always linear; there will be ****, especially as a help defender working away from the play. But Ayton’s showing more patience before jumping for a block, staying down on fakes and trusting in both his length and athleticism to alter shots. He’s getting better at playing both the ball handler and the roll man in the two-man game, taking away easy dump-offs for dunks and making the dribbler show his cards before reaching in to deflect a pass or leaping to contest a shot. He’s shown great footwork in closing out and tracking drivers into the lane, as well as the fluidity to either stay in front on switches or shadow movements as opponents angle toward the paint, snuffing out their shot attempts before they get to the glass.

Ayton’s physicality, energy, and focus when the ball’s in the air can leave something to be desired—he’s averaging just 2.9 box-outs per 36 minutes of floor time, 61st out of 64 centers who’ve logged at least 500 minutes this season—but he’s also going up and getting it more often, pulling down a higher share of available rebounds than he did as a rookie. The Suns are outscoring opponents by a healthy 5.1 points per 100 possessions when Ayton and Booker share the court; they’re an ass-kicking plus-12 per 100 when the two franchise centerpieces are flanked by pace-setting point guard Ricky Rubio and emerging 3-and-D stud Mikal Bridges. The samples are still fairly small, but they’re getting bigger, and the underpinnings of what they’re showing aren’t changing: Ayton is having a tangible positive effect on how his team plays on both ends of the court.

Very little of this stuff is sexy, and exactly none of it is going to make anybody forget that, at the time of the 2018 draft, the Suns employed the coach of the Slovenian national team and still did not choose Luka Doncic with the no. 1 pick. But the rest of Ayton’s career can’t be about the original sin of its beginning. All he can do is work, get better, and try to prove that the future the Suns did choose still carries the promise of something special.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/2/19/21143311/nba-sixers-pacers-rockets-most-interesting
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#1851 » by RunDogGun » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:23 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
ATTL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:The rate of improvement is really something and if he keeps it up it really changes his long term projection. Like a one point him being passable on D would have been a decent outcome but him being really good moves to a whole other level.

Per 36
Ayton

Dwight

For sure. I really really hope everyone can stay healthy for this final stretch because I want to see more of the Rubio, Booker, Oubre, Bridges, Ayton lineup. The numbers so far have been great as a 5 man unit.

It's our best line up. Guys recover quicker on switches, don't lose too much after those switches happen, and guys are more willing to close out shooters, and box out rebounders. The group works well as a unit, while still being able to score. That group has our two best rebounders, top three steals, top three assists, top two in blocks(besides one game of Bolden), etc. Plus nits a fun group to watch, they seem to play for each other instead of five guys playing for themselves.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1852 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:57 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
ATTL wrote:

Per 36
Ayton

Dwight

It's our best line up. Guys recover quicker on switches, don't lose too much after those switches happen, and guys are more willing to close out shooters, and box out rebounders. The group works well as a unit, while still being able to score. That group has our two best rebounders, top three steals, top three assists, top two in blocks(besides one game of Bolden), etc. Plus nits a fun group to watch, they seem to play for each other instead of five guys playing for themselves.

It's definitely been our best lineup, but it certainly doesn't have our best two best rebounders.

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#1853 » by RunDogGun » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:For sure. I really really hope everyone can stay healthy for this final stretch because I want to see more of the Rubio, Booker, Oubre, Bridges, Ayton lineup. The numbers so far have been great as a 5 man unit.

It's definitely been our best lineup, but it certainly doesn't have our best two best rebounders.

Sorry, I didn't use per 36 to get my facts. I also didn't use a player who only played one game with us.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1854 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:39 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
RunDogGun wrote:It's our best line up. Guys recover quicker on switches, don't lose too much after those switches happen, and guys are more willing to close out shooters, and box out rebounders. The group works well as a unit, while still being able to score. That group has our two best rebounders, top three steals, top three assists, top two in blocks(besides one game of Bolden), etc. Plus nits a fun group to watch, they seem to play for each other instead of five guys playing for themselves.

Sorry, I didn't use per 36 to get my facts. I also didn't use a player who only played one game with us.

Was wondering what you were thinking. All of our Cs and PF have rebounded better than everyone else on the team when they play the same # of minutes. Saric has had a lot of good rebounding games.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,600

Post#1855 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:58 pm

Good stuff
CHICAGO — Cam Johnson characterized the scene inside the Suns’ halftime locker room as angry. While privately gathered, Kelly Oubre Jr. may have hurled a not-safe-for-work term to describe how he and his teammates had played for the first 24 minutes against the Bulls.

Yet while the rest of the Suns prepared to re-take the floor, Deandre Ayton sat still at his locker stall.

He calls it meditation, though it’s more an exercise in reflection and self-awareness. He replayed the first-half moments when the ball fumbled out of his hands, or when his dunk attempt was blocked at the rim. He thought about the message from coach Monty Williams and his teammates — that it was time for him to take over the game. And with about a minute remaining on the halftime clock, Ayton jogged from the locker room to the court.

The Suns flipped their fortunes in an ugly 112-104 victory Saturday night at the United Center because Ayton flipped from liability to force, finishing with 28 points (12-of-20 shooting) and 19 rebounds. The performance was the most recent example of how Ayton can be dominant and frustrating and wow-inducing and puzzling all in the same night. And that’s why the athletic 7-footer is one of the NBA’s more intriguing players to follow over the regular season’s stretch run.

“It shouldn’t be like that to where somebody has to throw the first punch at me, but it (is) sometimes,” Ayton acknowledged. “My teammates woke me up, like always. Coach (Williams) got on me. Coach (Mark) Bryant got on me. And, yeah, I answered.”

It’s important to remember the competition while evaluating Ayton’s productive outing. The Bulls (19-38) have now lost eight games in a row and are in contention to land another top-5 draft pick. Saturday night, frontcourt players Wendell Carter, Luke Kornet, Lauri Markkanen and Otto Porter were all out with injuries.

Yet Ayton is averaging 19 points and 12.2 rebounds while shooting 54.3 percent from the floor over his 25 games played in a second NBA season shortened by suspension and ankle injuries. He has totaled at least 20 points and 10 rebounds in five of his past seven games. Advanced metrics and the eye test also illustrate Ayton has improved his impact on the defensive end, where he most struggled last season.

Saturday, though, began poorly for both Ayton and the Suns (23-34).

Daniel Gafford blocked an Ayton dunk attempt during the closing seconds of the first quarter, leaving Ayton surprised. Ayton then committed four of his seven total turnovers — an offensive foul, a travel and two lost balls — during the second quarter’s opening three minutes, as Chicago began to build a 17-point lead.

But Phoenix immediately went to Ayton at the start of the third quarter, helping spark a 13-0 surge to seize the lead. He secured offensive rebounds and, rather than risk a turnover by bringing the ball down for a dribble or pass, immediately elevated for the put-back or tip-in. He swatted all three of his blocks in the second half. During the fourth quarter, he totaled 12 points (5-of-7 shooting) and eight rebounds, helping the Suns close out the victory on the second night of a back-to-back set.

“That’s a monster night,” Williams said. “I told him we need him to play with that kind of disposition every night, and we as a team need to come out with that urgency.”

The Suns also got productive outings from Devin Booker (29 points, including 5-of-10 from 3-point distance) and Ricky Rubio (18 points, 11 assists, seven rebounds). Oubre totaled 14 points, five rebounds and three assists, and threw down a thunderous dunk in transition during crunch time. Johnson spaced the floor with 11 points off the bench, including a 3-of-6 mark from beyond the arc.

Oubre, though, said Ayton’s play “changed the game for us in the second half.”

At best, Ayton’s development as a young pro has been heavily tracked. At worst, it has been heavily scrutinized.

That’s life as a former No. 1 overall draft pick, particularly from a 2018 class that has already seen Luka Doncic and Trae Young become All-Stars in their second seasons.

Williams is practicing patience with Ayton, gleaning from his past experiences working with Anthony Davis and LaMarcus Aldridge early in their careers. But Williams, along with Ayton’s teammates, have delivered constant motivational reminders about the potential Ayton has flashed while playing with an emphatic mindset.

Williams stresses Ayton does not need to be an outwardly ferocious chest-thumper. The coach cites his up-close view of Tim Duncan while a San Antonio assistant as evidence that a superstar big man can possess a reserved demeanor. Ayton’s personality is typically more gregarious and zany, which was most recently exhibited by his decision to blast — and dance to — rapper YoungBoy Never Broke Again’s newly released “Still Flexin, Still Steppin” album in the locker room prior to Friday’s loss in Toronto.

Williams, though, wants Ayton’s work with the ball in his hands to be 80 percent “beast” (at the rim) and 20 percent jumper. Booker added that, when Toronto subbed in Rondae Hollis-Jefferson after Serge Ibaka picked up his fifth foul midway through Friday’s third quarter, Ayton “should (feel) disrespected” and turn physically imposing.

“He took it personal,” Booker said of Ayton. “And (he) showed them that, ‘I’m bigger than you.’ It’s as simple as that.”

With 25 games to play, the Suns still have much to figure out.

Though the roster is nearly back to full health, rotations are now a bit unpredictable. Phoenix’s only bench points Saturday came from Johnson and Aron Baynes (four). The Suns rank in the NBA’s bottom third in 3-point shooting (34.5 percent).

Yet a strong Ayton presence unlocks so much for Phoenix, both immediately and for the franchise’s deeper rebuild. He, like his team, is still on a quest for consistency. Saturday’s halftime flip was a prime example.

“Coach Bryant is always telling me to just bring it to these dudes, no matter what,” Ayton said. “He just wants me to be that relentless dude, the biggest dude out there. He just wants me to do what I look like I can do. …

“Everybody knows what I can do. I know what I can do. But it’s to a point where (teammates ask), ‘How consistent can you do it, DA?'”
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1856 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:28 pm

Huge game from Ayton and it's great that he has the ability to be a force when we need him to be. Just wish it was a little more consistent in terms of when he brings that inner dog out. What I've noticed over the past month or so is how he's going away from that midrange J that he went to as a go-to offense earlier in the season. Instead of taking that shot right away when he gets the ball at the elbow, he's not settling and either handing it off or when he has the opportunity, take it closer to the rim. It's been a breath of fresh air for a guy so physically dominant (or could be) to move away from just taking midrange J's at every opportunity he got.

The other positive I've been noticing is that he seems to be a bit more comfortable in the post. He's making quicker decisions and bringing out the full arsenal of post moves he has. From the simple jump hook to the back down, turn around hook and now the quick turn around, fadeaway jumper. I like that he's getting comfortable and (for better or for worse) he's looking more and more like LMA than ever before.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#1857 » by jcsunsfan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:53 pm

DeAndre Ayton was one tip-in away from at 30p-20r-3b game. Those kinds of stats are rare air. And there is so much more to come.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#1858 » by jcsunsfan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:55 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:Huge game from Ayton and it's great that he has the ability to be a force when we need him to be. Just wish it was a little more consistent in terms of when he brings that inner dog out. What I've noticed over the past month or so is how he's going away from that midrange J that he went to as a go-to offense earlier in the season. Instead of taking that shot right away when he gets the ball at the elbow, he's not settling and either handing it off or when he has the opportunity, take it closer to the rim. It's been a breath of fresh air for a guy so physically dominant (or could be) to move away from just taking midrange J's at every opportunity he got.

The other positive I've been noticing is that he seems to be a bit more comfortable in the post. He's making quicker decisions and bringing out the full arsenal of post moves he has. From the simple jump hook to the back down, turn around hook and now the quick turn around, fadeaway jumper. I like that he's getting comfortable and (for better or for worse) he's looking more and more like LMA than ever before.

He also seems to be getting the rim protection role better. He is getting the knack for when to leave his man and roll toward the diving player. He was horrible at this last year.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1859 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:15 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Huge game from Ayton and it's great that he has the ability to be a force when we need him to be. Just wish it was a little more consistent in terms of when he brings that inner dog out. What I've noticed over the past month or so is how he's going away from that midrange J that he went to as a go-to offense earlier in the season. Instead of taking that shot right away when he gets the ball at the elbow, he's not settling and either handing it off or when he has the opportunity, take it closer to the rim. It's been a breath of fresh air for a guy so physically dominant (or could be) to move away from just taking midrange J's at every opportunity he got.

He also seems to be getting the rim protection role better. He is getting the knack for when to leave his man and roll toward the diving player. He was horrible at this last year.

Yeah he was caught often in no-man's-land last season. Too often in paralysis by analysis and just getting stuck. Now I feel like he's accepted his role as a rim protector and prioritizing falling back rather than staying out on the perimeter when we really need someone at the rim.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#1860 » by oddity » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:59 am

Ayton is growing before our eyes guys. Time to put the trade talks and doom and gloom to rest for a bit.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...

Return to Phoenix Suns