Deandre Ayton news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Re: Deandre Ayton news and highlights 

Post#1861 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:44 am

jcsunsfan wrote:DeAndre Ayton was one tip-in away from at 30p-20r-3b game. Those kinds of stats are rare air. And there is so much more to come.

Crazy thing is he had a really bad first half. Like even though he got some numbers, he was playing very poorly, especially around the beginning of the 2nd quarter where he had a few turnovers in a row on consecutive possessions. Just imagine when he puts a full game together like he did in the 2nd half.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#1862 » by ATTL » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:33 am

bwgood77 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:DeAndre Ayton was one tip-in away from at 30p-20r-3b game. Those kinds of stats are rare air. And there is so much more to come.

Crazy thing is he had a really bad first half. Like even though he got some numbers, he was playing very poorly, especially around the beginning of the 2nd quarter where he had a few turnovers in a row on consecutive possessions. Just imagine when he puts a full game together like he did in the 2nd half.

40/30 is possible when he matures and can bring the intensity the whole game.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#1863 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:16 am

List of players in the NBA average at least 19 pts. 12 rebs. and 1.5 blocks this season.

DeAndre Ayton

saw this on a tweet.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,631

Post#1864 » by Saberestar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Read on Twitter

I want to give credit to Monty Williams because the team is feeding Ayton way better than last year under Kokoskov.

Obviously other factors are involved in that improvement, but Monty is a big part of it for sure.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#1865 » by RunDogGun » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:28 pm

Ayton still needs to be more aggressive and have the mindset of just dominating in the paint. In the Bulls game, he just had too many possessions where he looked like he had no idea what he was doing. He should have just dominated the smaller lineup the Bulls were forced to put out there.

Seven turnovers is just insane for a player we may want to run the offense through. Hopefully he will figure it out, and hopefully the incredible career Luka is having will give Ayton some drive.

Overall, I really hope he works on his catches, footwork in the paint, defensive position, and a three point shot. I was really hoping that while he was suspended, he would be working on all of those things, but I am just not sure what he worked on, while sitting not injured.

For now, its great that guys are looking for him. Other guys should be looking to make cuts to the basket giving Ayton options.
itlnsunsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#1866 » by itlnsunsfan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:51 pm

ATTL wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Craziest thing is he would make a game like that look effortless if he put it together for 4 quarters.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#1867 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:47 pm

itlnsunsfan wrote:
ATTL wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Craziest thing is he would make a game like that look effortless if he put it together for 4 quarters.

Its all those put back points. He gets both points and a board on every one of them.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,974

Post#1868 » by Mr Puddles » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:55 pm

We didn't really see this from Ayton last year - his handle is starting to improve.

Nice smooth and decisive move against one of the best rim protectors in the past two decades. Once he starts to really master this he's going to be a nightmare to guard.

Not bad
Spoiler:
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#1869 » by oddity » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:18 pm

Decisive is a key here I think. Last year Ayton struggled finding his identity as a ball player. Early this season it seemed the same way, but over the past month we've seen Ayton become more confident with where he wants to go and what he wants to do with the ball. He's showing and demanding much more now, and making moves quicker out of the post. This kid is really improving and he isn't there yet, but if he continues at this rate, it's gonna be scary
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#1870 » by jcsunsfan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:

We didn't really see this from Ayton last year - his handle is starting to improve.

Nice smooth and decisive move against one of the best rim protectors in the past two decades. Once he starts to really master this he's going to be a nightmare to guard.

Not bad

That is unstoppable against the best rim protector in the league.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,080

Post#1871 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:22 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:

Not bad

That is unstoppable against the best rim protector in the league.

You see that high-archer he put up against Gobert in the post last night, too? Beautiful. Next-level block-buster right there, fellas.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1872 » by ATTL » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:42 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,377

Post#1873 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Very nice.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1874 » by ATTL » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Very nice.

More sports twitters are starting to notice Ayton is actually kind of good and not the Sam Bowie they were trying to push.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,500

Post#1875 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 pm

I'll be the first to admit that I was super skeptical about Ayton reaching this level of defense this early, if ever. So I'm happy to put up my hand and accept that I was wrong. Not saying his offense isn't good (because it's pretty solid already) but his defense is what's impressed me the most this season.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Jay_Sizzle
Senior
And1: 526

Post#1876 » by Jay_Sizzle » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:08 pm

That's some pretty impressive defensive highlights from Ayton. He has been much more aggressive and deliberate on the court. I was not sure we would ever see that from him. He could be an all star next year.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,641

Post#1877 » by sunsbum » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:31 pm

Was looking up some stuff about DA's offensive rebounding numbers via a little thread on reddit. Checked out some Dennis Rodman stuff and came across a simple stat that blew my, dude was 38 and avg 14 rbs a game..holy ****. Also I guess 5 offensive rebounds a game is a pretty special stat as in once or twice in the last 20 years. Rodman topped out at 6.4.
Flex is now your father.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,631

Post#1878 » by Saberestar » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:49 am

sunsbum wrote:Was looking up some stuff about DA's offensive rebounding numbers via a little thread on reddit. Checked out some Dennis Rodman stuff and came across a simple stat that blew my, dude was 38 and avg 14 rbs a game..holy ****. Also I guess 5 offensive rebounds a game is a pretty special stat as in once or twice in the last 20 years. Rodman topped out at 6.4.

Rodman was an special player, I was a fan.

But he did not play too many years because he was a rookie when he was 25 years old. He started playing really late, that is why he could play well until he was 36/37.

That season that you mentioned with him rebounding over 14 per game was a diaaster and he was cut or sanctioned by the Mavs. He did not play too many games. His career was over at that point.

Ayton can have a longer and even better career. I like that he looks pretty durable and he did not add too many weight in his first couple of seasons in the league.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,974

Post#1879 » by Mr Puddles » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:07 pm

Saberestar wrote:
sunsbum wrote:Was looking up some stuff about DA's offensive rebounding numbers via a little thread on reddit. Checked out some Dennis Rodman stuff and came across a simple stat that blew my, dude was 38 and avg 14 rbs a game..holy ****. Also I guess 5 offensive rebounds a game is a pretty special stat as in once or twice in the last 20 years. Rodman topped out at 6.4.

But he did not play too many years because he was a rookie when he was 25 years old. He started playing really late, that is why he could play well until he was 36/37.

That season that you mentioned with him rebounding over 14 per game was a diaaster and he was cut or sanctioned by the Mavs. He did not play too many games. His career was over at that point.

Ayton can have a longer and even better career. I like that he looks pretty durable and he did not add too many weight in his first couple of seasons in the league.

I posted this Stat on the general forum some time ago, but I still believe it's one of the most craziest achievements I've ever seen:

Dennis Rodman had the most total rebounds in the 1992-1993 season despite missing 25% of the season (he only played 60 games). Of the number 2,3 & 4 in total rebounds (Shaq, Dikembe, Hakeem), Shaq played 81 games, whereas Dikembe and Hakeem played the full 82 games.

And oh yeah, Rodman was 31 years old at the time and came off the bench 5 games that season as well.

Rodman absolutely owned the boards in an era of some of the most dominating big men of all time.
Spoiler:
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,080

Post#1880 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:41 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

I posted this Stat on the general forum some time ago, but I still believe it's one of the most craziest achievements I've ever seen:

Dennis Rodman had the most total rebounds in the 1992-1993 season despite missing 25% of the season (he only played 60 games). Of the number 2,3 & 4 in total rebounds (Shaq, Dikembe, Hakeem), Shaq played 81 games, whereas Dikembe and Hakeem played the full 82 games.

And oh yeah, Rodman was 31 years old at the time and came off the bench 5 games that season as well.

Rodman absolutely owned the boards in an era of some of the most dominating big men of all time.

Rodman studied rebounding the way every other player studies shooting mechanics, ball handling, playmaking, defense. He learned how players - especially his teammates - tended to miss shots, so he can move to where the ball would bounce while it was still on its way to the basket. He also had next-level energy: as Phil Jackson said, he was the best athlete he ever coached, because he played as hard in the last minute of the game as he did in the first.

The man hunted rebounds the way Iverson hunted buckets. Would love to see another player in this league with that kind of unreasonable passion for the glass.

Return to Phoenix Suns