James Wiseman

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: James Wiseman 

Post#41 » by No-Man » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:52 am

Wiseman is so obviously not going to be as impactful as Gobert has been if you are watching, and Bamba was obviously a pretty meh defensive prospect
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#42 » by doordoor123 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:44 am

He’s also still 18 years old and hasn’t played many games in college, where he could learn. He still hasn’t even looked comfortable yet, which will only come while playing games at a high level. In terms of what he can become he’s still a mystery because we really haven’t seen him where he could be. But where we have seen him comfortable is in high school and he was the #1 ranked player coming out of high school, not only that, he was dominant. Time will tell.
DIO
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#43 » by DIO » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:16 pm

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#44 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:45 am

I think he has franchise player upside, more likely his upside is a great #2.

That being said WORST CASE I see a Hassan Whiteside type. Most likely I expect him to spend many years COMPETING for the best center NOT NAMED Ayton/Jokic/KAT/Bam/Embiid

*Edit* worst case is actually having injuries ruin his career.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#45 » by doordoor123 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:I think he has franchise player upside, more likely his upside is a great #2.

That being said WORST CASE I see a Hassan Whiteside type. Most likely I expect him to spend many years COMPETING for the best center NOT NAMED Ayton/Jokic/KAT/Bam/Embiid

Whiteside is underrated because he has a reputation of being lazy and having an attitude. A lot of his issues are between his ears. If he had a stronger work ethic and drive to be better, he would be. At one point, during his breakout year, he had that drive, but once he got paid he stopped caring. If Wiseman is Whiteside with his head on straight, that’s a top 5 Center in the league.

Im not saying Wiseman will be a top 5 Center in the league, but you’re saying he’s like Whiteside and if he’s anything like that with a better head, he would be much better than Whiteside. I personally don’t use that comparison though.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#46 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:51 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:I think he has franchise player upside, more likely his upside is a great #2.

Whiteside is underrated because he has a reputation of being lazy and having an attitude. A lot of his issues are between his ears. If he had a stronger work ethic and drive to be better, he would be. At one point, during his breakout year, he had that drive, but once he got paid he stopped caring. If Wiseman is Whiteside with his head on straight, that’s a top 5 Center in the league.

Im not saying Wiseman will be a top 5 Center in the league, but you’re saying he’s like Whiteside and if he’s anything like that with a better head, he would be much better than Whiteside. I personally don’t use that comparison though.

At "one point, during his breakout year" "If Wiseman is Whiteside with his head on straight, that’s a top 5 Center in the league."

I said Wiseman would be competing for 6th.

Most players competing for 6th at their position were probably "at one point during his breakout year" a top 5 center.

I don't really understand why your quoting me on this, and I want to talk Wiseman more so I'm replying to you.

I respect your eye for talent doordoor123, I am interested in your take on Wiseman.

I've said, "I think he has franchise player upside, more likely his upside is a great #2"

Would you not consider Whiteside with his head on straight some teams franchise guy, but beat suited as a #2?

Who do you compare Wiseman with?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,827

Post#47 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:44 am

There aren't many prospects in this class who have the potential to make GMs look completely foolish for passing on them. Wiseman is one of them.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#48 » by kobyz » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:22 pm

Jermaine ONeal
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#49 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:42 pm

Damn that got me pumped. Its hard to pass up guards and wings in a league like this one but that couldve sold you. I mean his stats for what little he played was dominant and whats funny is someone said he hadnt even had time to get comfortable yet.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:49 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

At "one point, during his breakout year" "If Wiseman is Whiteside with his head on straight, that’s a top 5 Center in the league."

Most players competing for 6th at their position were probably "at one point during his breakout year" a top 5 center.

I don't really understand why your quoting me on this, and I want to talk Wiseman more so I'm replying to you.

I respect your eye for talent doordoor123, I am interested in your take on Wiseman.

I've said, "I think he has franchise player upside, more likely his upside is a great #2"

Would you not consider Whiteside with his head on straight some teams franchise guy, but beat suited as a #2?

I think you are correct just off the fact that hes a C in general. Its no disrespect to him. This is a league where a legend at C wouldnt be a number 1 because teams dont feed the paint no more. Hes exactly as good as you imagined and it doesn't matter. Its like the nfl team who drafts the first running back. Actually that's wrong cuz good Cs impact defense in a huge way but offensively it fits. You need them but they don't occupy a teams primary option role.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:52 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

I think you are correct just off the fact that hes a C in general. Its no disrespect to him. This is a league where a legend at C wouldnt be a number 1 because teams dont feed the paint no more. Hes exactly as good as you imagined and it doesn't matter. Its like the nfl team who drafts the first running back. Actually that's wrong cuz good Cs impact defense in a huge way but offensively it fits. You need them but they don't occupy a teams primary option role.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Post#52 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:50 pm

sounds like AD 8-)
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,051

Post#53 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:03 pm

Wiseman is the real deal in my eyes. I would take him #1
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Post#54 » by cdubbz » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:52 am

Wiseman draft scouting reports/opinions are so up and down and I share the same opinions.

He’s ultra athletic, long, looks skilled. I just don’t see the the dominance in him at the next level Yet from what I’ve seem. He looks awkward in his moves in the post or on the break. Out of control at times — nothing that can’t be worked on, but doesn’t look natural.

As a Warrior fan I’m in between with Edwards and Wiseman with the top pick if we get it.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,827

Post#55 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:26 am

I can't get James Wiseman out of my mind. I think people have been too critical of him, like comparing him to say Hassan Whiteside. If all you look at is that he's a 7-footer, sure. If you think there's no potential for growth, sure. He could come into the league and play like Whiteside from Day 1.

But when I watch him, I see more. I see movement skills, passing ability and 3-point potential that put him on a different development trajectory than Whiteside. I'm not going to put him on the same path as Garnett or Antetokounmpo, but I think he could be a longer Jaren Jackson Jr. I do think he could potentially play two positions in the NBA, even if he ultimately plays a majority of his minutes at just one.

A lot of draftniks love them some Onyeka Okongwu. And while I think he can have a nice NBA career, I personally believe it'd be foolish to draft Okongwu over Wiseman. As good as his defense is, I believe his offense is just as rough. And I don't see the same tools for offensive growth as I do for Wiseman. I think everyone is looking at him and hoping he could develop into Bam Adebayo, but I think it's just as likely his development stops at Bismack Biyombo or Gorgui Dieng.

Okongwu isn't the type of player I'd want to draft in the Top 5. Wiseman isn't the type of player I'd want to pass on.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
XTC
Head Coach
And1: 6,256

Post#56 » by XTC » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:39 am

I like the Jermaine O'Neal comparisons.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#57 » by big-shot-ROB » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:12 am

Yeah no, Wiseman is miles far as a prospect as JJJr. Not even close. Jackson had a more established perimetre game and shot, while with Wiseman you are talking about the possibility of one. And their defense is like comparing an orange to a supermarket orange juice.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#58 » by big-shot-ROB » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:13 am

big-shot-ROB wrote:Yeah no, Wiseman is miles far as a prospect as JJJr. Not even close. Jackson had a more established perimetre game and shot, while with Wiseman you are talking about the possibility of one. And their defense is like comparing an orange to a supermarket orange juice.

Have we been a little too critical with him? Probably, this board was really harsh on Morant. But the franchise player potential is not there, at all.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,602

Post#59 » by UcanUwill » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:59 am

Looks like Hassan Whiteside. Decent player I guess.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#60 » by Catchall » Fri Apr 3, 2020 2:45 am

Looking at only limited tape, I'd say his talent level is at least on par with Deandre Jordan, but he has a bit more motor, a little more length, and maybe a bit more IQ. He'll give you rebounding, rim protection, rim running, roll finishes and great size inside if he's really 7'1". His motor and athleticism overall are better than Whiteside. He's a safe top-3 pick in this draft though his feel for the game seems pretty basic.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to NBA Draft