ImageImage

Trade Thread

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

zzaj
Head Coach
And1: 2,500

Re: Trade Thread 

Post#301 » by zzaj » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:25 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:To chime in, I think drafting is actually the one place where NO is clearly very good. Outside 2017, and the jury is still very much out on that year, he has been near perfect. Having the balls to use lotto picks on small school guards and his unreal R2 track record speak a lot to his abilities there. FA is where he really sucks, and may suck enough to make a good argument that he shouldn't keep his job. The number of times we were saved from ourselves by players backing out on big deals we tried to hand them is astonishing. Chandler, Kanter, Whiteside.

This has been covered ad nauseum in past threads, but I'm genuinely curious how you see his record as "near perfect"? Lillard was going to be the pick without Olshey. CJ was a good pick, but he was expected to go top 10. Barton is probably the best diamond in the rough that Olshey ever found. Layman too is playing above average for his draft number. Every other rookie that has been drafted by Olshey is playing about average with the other players selected around or after them in the draft...

Meyers/Crabbe/Whithey/Zach/Todorovic/Swanigan/Simons/Trent/Little/Hoard

Are all performing about average or worse to their draft position.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#302 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:21 pm

I expect 2nd rounders to flame out of the league 75% of the time. NO finds guys that stick around. Barton, Layman, Pat, Crabbe, Trent. You are not expected to find 5 rotation guys in 5 2nd round picks. That is really good.

He is elite at drafting wing players in the 2nd round, that's not really even up for debate. He isn't great outside that, other than having the balls to use lotto picks on guys from small schools. But his R2 track record is not normal.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#303 » by d-train » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:53 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:I expect 2nd rounders to flame out of the league 75% of the time. NO finds guys that stick around. Barton, Layman, Pat, Crabbe, Trent. You are not expected to find 5 rotation guys in 5 2nd round picks. That is really good.

He is elite at drafting wing players in the 2nd round, that's not really even up for debate. He isn't great outside that, other than having the balls to use lotto picks on guys from small schools. But his R2 track record is not normal.

You have identified the skillset Olshey needs going forward to keep the Blazes successful. Essentially, identifying draft picks and scrapheap talent after the remainder of the league picked the talent carcass clean. This is what he has done since the reset in 2015. This is what he did to achieve success prior to 2015. So far, other than Lillard/CJ/Nurkic, Olshey has hit a bunch of singles and doubles, not enough to get a RBI. We are waiting for a homerun or an RBI. Maybe, we have an RBI when everyone is healthy. Collins is a triple, Melo is a solid double, and Ariza, Whiteside, and Hood are singles. Hezonja is a foul ball. We have a deep batting lineup with Simons, Trent, Little, and a 2020 FRP. Of course, we would be nowhere without the Lillard, CJ, and Nurkic home runs.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,843

Post#304 » by JasonStern » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:13 pm

Norm2953 wrote:The 2020 draft is not well regarded by the draft followers. I think NO (like a lot of GM's) would prefer a
trade that brings back a player from the 2017-18 draft years that isn't really needed where they are.

other weak drafts of note:
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#305 » by Norm2953 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:37 pm

The 2006 draft Andrea Bargnani and Adam Morrison was indeed bad for everyone but Portland.

The thing is most drafts are crap shoots and this draft is not well regarded for the best big
(Wiseman) only played three games before he became ineligible and Melo Ball is once again
hurt. Likely the top picks will be identified by team workouts which is why guys like Lauri
Markkanen, Zach Collins, Nkilikina from 2017 or the Mohammad Bomba's of the world from
2018 might be in demand via trade.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#306 » by JasonStern » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:12 pm

- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#307 » by d-train » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:27 pm

JasonStern wrote:https://www.blazersedge.com/2020/2/20/21145812/trail-blazers-trade-rumors-kevin-love-hassan-whiteside-kent-bazemore

that doesn't sound very fiscally responsible.

What can you learn from one guy who knows nothing interviewing another guy that knows nothing? This is a BS article and everything discussed is made up BS.

I don't believe any of it. Not only did Blazers not offer Whiteside and/or Bazemore for Love, I doubt the Blazers seriously shopped for any player Blazers would have to pay $90M from 2020-23. Actually, the trade that is suggested wouldn't even be allowed.

I do believe the Cavs shopped Love and no team would take him unless Cavs offered other assets. This is a good example of why it's dumb for team's to sign a player to an expensive long term contract without a plan to keep and build around the player. It's stupid to sign a player believing that you can trade him for value.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#308 » by HoopsFanAZ » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:54 pm

I enjoy the ESPN trade machine as much or more as the next fan. I also attempt to remain rational about roster composition, salary structure, contract length, needs, strengths ... well, all of it. And I appreciate the various ideas and proposals from others.

Starting from there, and with the likely core players who are LESS likely to be moved ...

1. Lillard, McCollum, Collins, Nurkic
Then the young fellas who show some promise and are LESS likely to be moved without a SIGNIFICANT deal ...
2. Simons, Trent, Little
Then accounting for the role players likely to opt-in, team-option who play a significant role ...
3. Hood (Achilles, likely opt-in) and Ariza short contract, older, useful 3 and D, Little not ready, multi-position
Then the end of bench players ...
4. skipping for now as none of them are expensive nor are they crucial

And end with Carmelo Anthony and Hassan Whiteside.
5. Melo will decide, and it LIKELY won't be a huge price tag or for long if he stays. Whiteside is the biggest variable.

If Melo stays, then Nurkic, Collins, and Melo man the 4 and 5. One more veteran PF/C is needed for lesser minutes.
If Whiteside stays for half, then there's no time for Melo at the 4 -- scrap minutes just won't do. And then another backup big is needed.
If they let all of HWEC, Melo, and Ariza go (small buy-out), then Portland has 2 replacements needed at PF/C and a starting SF until Hood is healthy. With any room and exceptions, it will be a tough go.

So while it's not the most exciting or hopeful prediction/conclusion, (1) I'm not seeing a major trade in the offseason, (2) Ariza stays for a year, (3) HWEC only stays for about half his current pay, (4) and Melo is gone unless HWEC won't take significantly less.

I will be surprised if OLSHEY pulls the trigger on a big deal ... one that involves CJ. It's also the one package deal that would actually "move the needle."
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,381

Post#309 » by Myth » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:51 pm

Well, the last couple of games CJ has put up some good assist numbers. That opens up the possibility of teams considering trading for him as a make shift point guard. I know in the past when posters have asked if he can play the point, I typically just said no.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#310 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:02 pm

Myth wrote:Well, the last couple of games CJ has put up some good assist numbers. That opens up the possibility of teams considering trading for him as a make shift point guard. I know in the past when posters have asked if he can play the point, I typically just said no.

CJ is like Jamal Crawford. He CAN play the PG, he even CAN play the PG very well, he just does not want to. That is why I typically say no as well.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,381

Post#311 » by Myth » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:02 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Myth wrote:Well, the last couple of games CJ has put up some good assist numbers. That opens up the possibility of teams considering trading for him as a make shift point guard. I know in the past when posters have asked if he can play the point, I typically just said no.

CJ is like Jamal Crawford. He CAN play the PG, he even CAN play the PG very well, he just does not want to. That is why I typically say no as well.

Has he stated that he doesn't like playing PG?
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#312 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:17 pm

Myth wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

Has he stated that he doesn't like playing PG?

No, I'm only offering my thoughts on the matter. Maybe he wants to get away from Lillard so he can have the pleasure of running PG full time but my thoughts are that he prefers to be the pure scorer in the lineup while someone else does PG duty.
d-train
RealGM

Post#313 » by d-train » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:58 pm

CJ is a soldier. He will do whatever he needs to do to help his team win. It's more glorious to have the ball and runup the stats, but the team is better when Lillard has the ball. Lillard puts more pressure on the defense, forces the defense into rotations.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#314 » by Village Idiot » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:01 am

CJ has been really impressive. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he might get to a point where he'll want to be traded. His numbers as starting PG are really impressive. While it remains to be seen whether that is sustainable he probably feels like he's been second fiddle for too long and might be tired of being our scapegoat.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#315 » by Roy The Natural » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:18 am

Village Idiot wrote:CJ has been really impressive. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he might get to a point where he'll want to be traded. His numbers as starting PG are really impressive. While it remains to be seen whether that is sustainable he probably feels like he's been second fiddle for too long and might be tired of being our scapegoat.

I just hope he has good value. I don't really want him here anymore anyways. This roster is so utterly unbalanced that it's just been awful to watch for some time on many nights.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#316 » by cdubbz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:53 am

Mods - can we get a sticky on this trade thread?

Trade Idea:

CJ McCollum + 2020 first round pick

for

Bradley Beal

McCollum & Beal are both expiring contracts.

Why for Wizards - Quick rebuild with two first round picks in 2020 + their own 2021 first round pick in a loaded class. By trading away Beal they increase their tank chances by having Rui Hachimura + two rookies led by McCollum.

Why for Blazers - We need to take risks. I know we love our home grown talent and we're a small market and want to show our loyalty, but taking a risk on Bradley Beal enjoying playing with Dame and creating a top 2 backcourt.

Hard to see Washington accept so little for Beal, but tanking the year before a loaded draft with several rookies isn't the worst way to start. I just imagine them preferring multiple picks via OKC or Boston.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#317 » by JasonStern » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:26 pm

cdubbz wrote:McCollum & Beal are both expiring contracts.

McCollum is signed through 2024.
- Chauncey Billups
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#318 » by cdubbz » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:58 pm

JasonStern wrote:
cdubbz wrote:McCollum & Beal are both expiring contracts.

McCollum is signed through 2024.

Oh whoops! Didn’t see the contract extension on spotrac.

Well wonder if Wizards would be interested. CJ can groom the young guys while being the leader with Wall.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#319 » by NYG » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:03 pm

What would it take to get a Nurkic deal on the table?
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#320 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:30 pm

Deleted.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers