RealGM:Danilo Gallinari Wanted To Stay With Thunder Past Deadline, Interested In Re-Signing

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

RealGM:Danilo Gallinari Wanted To Stay With Thunder Past Deadline, Interested In Re-Signing 

Post#1 » by Galloisdaman » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:20 pm

RealGM
Danilo Gallinari Wanted To Stay With Thunder Past Deadline, Interested In Re-Signing
FEB 25, 2020 8:44 AM

The Oklahoma City Thunder held trade talks at the deadline with the Miami Heat on a deal involving Danilo Gallinari, but he ultimately remained with the franchise.

Gallinari is in his first season with the Thunder following his trade from the Los Angeles Clippers as part of the Paul George package.

Gallinari was asked to comment on remaining with the Thunder after those discussions at the deadline.

“I really wanted to stay to stay here. [It would be] tough to leave such a great atmosphere, great teammates, a group that is winning," said Gallinari. "I wanted to stay.”

Gallinari was also asked about the possibility of re-signing with the Thunder as a free agent this offseason.

“I hope so. It’s not the time now to talk with the team. But in the summer, it’s going to be interesting for me… Definitely, it could be a great option for me to stay here.”
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,017

Re: RealGM:Danilo Gallinari Wanted To Stay With Thunder Past Deadline, Interested In Re-Signing 

Post#2 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Well if we can't trade CP3, I could understand resigning Gallo (since CP3 won't allow us to tank) but not sure if it's worth it.

So far we are being really lucky : no serious injury despite having 2 injury prone players; most players playing at their best level (Schroeder having a career year) etc.

We will need to pay Noel and add an all star kind of player in order to contend so...tough.

Value wise I guess if we are able to sign him under a good deal, it could be very interesting to have him next year and then trade him in the next offseason when a lot of teams won't be able to sign Giannis & co.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,167

Re: RealGM:Danilo Gallinari Wanted To Stay With Thunder Past Deadline, Interested In Re-Signing 

Post#3 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:35 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Well if we can't trade CP3, I could understand resigning Gallo (since CP3 won't allow us to tank) but not sure if it's worth it.

So far we are being really lucky : no serious injury despite having 2 injury prone players; most players playing at their best level (Schroeder having a career year) etc.

We will need to pay Noel and add an all star kind of player in order to contend so...tough.

Value wise I guess if we are able to sign him under a good deal, it could be very interesting to have him next year and then trade him in the next offseason when a lot of teams won't be able to sign Giannis & co.

I think cp3 will get moved this summer if he finishes the season playing like he has so far. I dont know how Utah wouldn’t beg okc for him. I could see a team like Chicago getting tired of losing and wanting a winning veteran presence around for a couple of years.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#4 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:08 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Well if we can't trade CP3, I could understand resigning Gallo (since CP3 won't allow us to tank) but not sure if it's worth it.

I think cp3 will get moved this summer if he finishes the season playing like he has so far. I dont know how Utah wouldn’t beg okc for him. I could see a team like Chicago getting tired of losing and wanting a winning veteran presence around for a couple of years.

That is possible and the all star dunk did not hurt CP3's value at all since people worry about his age. The key though is what are the ($40 mill a year) contracts that OKC would have to take back in return.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,017

Post#5 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:37 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

I think swapping CP3 for Conley made more sense before this trade deadline than this offseason. Would have been 2 years of contending with CP3 before paying Donovan Mitchell and Gobert (except if Utah is willing to pay the tax).

We should need some draft compensation in a CP3/Conley trade though
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#6 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:54 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

I think swapping CP3 for Conley made more sense before this trade deadline than this offseason. Would have been 2 years of contending with CP3 before paying Donovan Mitchell and Gobert (except if Utah is willing to pay the tax).

We should need some draft compensation in a CP3/Conley trade though

I understand the logic but not sure that moves the needle that much for either team. If I was Utah I'd be wary of taking on another 51 mill in salary plus giving up a pick.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,382

Post#7 » by RunOKC » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:45 am

I really thought Miami and Utah made a lot of sense for CP, the latter more-so. Imo the Jazz will regret not trading for him. CP is having top 15 impact still; he would have completed their team.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder