ImageImageImage

Sophmores, 2020-21 – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,109

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko; (Green, Poirier) 

Post#481 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:20 am

Langford is really good defensively. Shame LeBron was able to score on that play in the post..Rome bodied him and got the strip but dude still caught it mid air and scored..but that was a hell of a defensive play.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,904

Re: Rookieville – Langford, G. Williams, Edwards, Waters, Tacko; (Green, Poirier) 

Post#482 » by Parliament10 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Powesknees wrote:They wasted too much time with Romeo in the g league. He’s still finding his spots and his teammates are doing a great job encouraging him but I can’t help but feel he should have been given these oops earlier in the season so he would be further along or at least more comfortable.. maybe he makes another couple baskets tonight if he’s just not being in some of these spots for the first time

I don't think so. He needed some time down in the G-League.
And remember, he was riddled with lingering injuries, in both the NBA and G-League.

Langford it seems, just needed time to get into the swing of things, past the injuries.
The Kid is good; same for Grant. Not so sure about Edwards.

Waters is definitely ready to play in the NBA. Fall, may need to stay down for one more year.
Or in the least, (Fall) be our 15th Man, and go down for more assignments.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#483 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:34 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Powesknees wrote:They wasted too much time with Romeo in the g league. He’s still finding his spots and his teammates are doing a great job encouraging him but I can’t help but feel he should have been given these oops earlier in the season so he would be further along or at least more comfortable.. maybe he makes another couple baskets tonight if he’s just not being in some of these spots for the first time

And remember, he was riddled with lingering injuries, in both the NBA and G-League.

Langford it seems, just needed time to get into the swing of things, past the injuries.

Waters is definitely ready to play in the NBA. Fall, may need to stay down for one more year.

Considering that Fall is an FA after this season, if I was his agent I would leverage his improvement and his cult icon status in contract negotiations. There's no way I would settle for another year down in the G. There's no question that there's at least one other team that would give him minutes next season. Considering our investment in his growth already, that also works in his agent's favor as well. If I'm Tacko I'm saying "Thanks for everything you've done but if I don't get at least Poirier's minutes next year, deuces."
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#484 » by cloverleaf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:09 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Considering that Fall is an FA after this season, if I was his agent I would leverage his improvement and his cult icon status in contract negotiations. There's no way I would settle for another year down in the G. There's no question that there's at least one other team that would give him minutes next season. Considering our investment in his growth already, that also works in his agent's favor as well. If I'm Tacko I'm saying "Thanks for everything you've done but if I don't get at least Poirier's minutes next year, deuces."

Agreed. He's also already better than that.

Do we know what happened to him that he started but only played two minutes yesterday?
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#485 » by cloverleaf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:12 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Langford is really good defensively. Shame LeBron was able to score on that play in the post..Rome bodied him and got the strip but dude still caught it mid air and scored..but that was a hell of a defensive play.

I was kind of a doubter when they drafted him, given some of the clips I saw from his college year. But agreed. I believe now he can and will be an excellent two-way player. I'm thinking ready to start if/when Hayward doesn't reup here. Meanwhile, Romeo, Marcus, Grant and Rob could make for a mean defensive bench!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,904

Post#486 » by Parliament10 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:30 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I don't think so. He needed some time down in the G-League.

Agreed. He's also already better than that.

Do we know what happened to him that he started but only played two minutes yesterday?

Yeah. I guess that Tacko can push his way onto an NBA Squad.
He's an RFA after this year. So we can match, after a Qualifying.

Not sure what his injury is, as they are calling it "undisclosed".

Celtics' Tacko Fall: Leaves two minutes into game
by RotoWire Staff

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/celtics-tacko-fall-leaves-two-minutes-into-game/
Fall left with Sunday's game versus Westchester early due to an undisclosed injury. The big man exited with 9:41 remaining in the first quarter.

Fall was called for his second offensive foul early in the game. During the resulting stoppage in play, Fall was subbed out and didn't return. There was no obvious visual clue as to what Fall might have injured. Fall has dealt with shoulder and concussion issues earlier in the season.

cloverleaf wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Langford is really good defensively. Shame LeBron was able to score on that play in the post..Rome bodied him and got the strip but dude still caught it mid air and scored..but that was a hell of a defensive play.

I was kind of a doubter when they drafted him, given some of the clips I saw from his college year. But agreed. I believe now he can and will be an excellent two-way player. I'm thinking ready to start if/when Hayward doesn't reup here. Meanwhile, Romeo, Marcus, Grant and Rob could make for a mean defensive bench!

That would be a helluva Defensive Bench.
Put Waters in there too. He's a little tiger.

Waters - Smart - Langford - Grant - TimeLord
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,927

Post#487 » by CelticsPride18 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:36 pm

Read on Twitter
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#488 » by Wes-J » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:50 pm

Yeah I really like what I've seen from Romeo. Main thing is he don't look shook and it's a matter of time before the offense comes.

Just really disappointed Carsen is not contributing. Hope he figures it out.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#489 » by cloverleaf » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:05 am

Wes-J wrote:Yeah I really like what I've seen from Romeo. Main thing is he don't look shook and it's a matter of time before the offense comes.

Just really disappointed Carsen is not contributing. Hope he figures it out.

Maybe Carsen needs to grow his hair back. Samson Edwards.
Powesknees
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#490 » by Powesknees » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:28 am

Parliament10 wrote:

I don’t agree that he needed time down there. I don’t think it did anything for him or us. He probably doesn’t injur himself again either.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#491 » by theman » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:56 pm

Right now. Kevin Porter Jr. is looking better than Langford. I understand Cleveland sucks so there are a lot more minutes there but if look at per 36 Porter beats Langford in every statistical category except blocks and turnovers.
Langford only has 3 assists on his career. That needs to improve.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#492 » by ParticleMan » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:06 pm

theman wrote:Right now. Kevin Porter Jr. is looking better than Langford. I understand Cleveland sucks so there are a lot more minutes there but if look at per 36 Porter beats Langford in every statistical category except blocks and turnovers.

redshirt year.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,636

Post#493 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:10 am

The guy getting all the minutes and opportunities on a garbage team is putting up better raw numbers than the guy barely seeing the floor on a team trying to win.

Alert the press.
claycarver
Sixth Man
And1: 2,099

Post#495 » by claycarver » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:17 am

theman wrote:Right now. Kevin Porter Jr. is looking better than Langford. I understand Cleveland sucks so there are a lot more minutes there but if look at per 36 Porter beats Langford in every statistical category except blocks and turnovers.

You compare Porter's first 219 minutes to Langford's, I bet things don't look so bad. For instance, I'm seeing 66 points over Porter's first 219-ish minutes to Langford's 61 points.
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#496 » by theman » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:41 am

claycarver wrote:

You compare Porter's first 219 minutes to Langford's, I bet things don't look so bad. For instance, I'm seeing 66 points over Porter's first 219-ish minutes to Langford's 61 points.

And Porter has 15 assists and 29 rebounds in those 219ish minutes to Langford's 3 assists and 19 rebounds. Assists really seems to be the biggest hole currently in Langford's game. The Celtics offense is predicated on ball movement so if Langford is a black hole that isn't going to cut it. I am not saying Langford is a black hole. I just don't want to see him become one.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#497 » by 24istheLAW » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:08 pm

Powesknees wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

I don’t agree that he needed time down there. I don’t think it did anything for him or us. He probably doesn’t injur himself again either.

IMO this is an extremely revisionist take. They were rebuilding Romeo's shooting motion during the offseason. He had the thumb injury. More than anything else, he needed to get a chance to get his legs under him as a shooter, and build some confidence in his ability to shoot the basketball. That's where the G League comes in. He needs/needed game reps shooting. The worst thing you could have done is give him 1 3PA a game with the big club, knowing that if he misses he doesn't get another one... He started in the developmental league because he needs/needed development.

The Celtics, like everyone else on earth, also presumably did not anticipate him being as useful as a defensive player off the bench as he's been. "Romeo Langford will adapt quickly to being an NBA role player" is something that hasn't been said by anyone on RealGM/college hoops media/NBA draft media etc. Sometimes things develop differently than planned.

Also while Romeo's contributions as a defender are a pleasant surprise, he's only made 5 of 20 3PA, including an airball. Maybe he could use more time in the G-league.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#498 » by 5InOfLouisville » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:13 pm

theman wrote:
claycarver wrote:

And Porter has 15 assists and 29 rebounds in those 219ish minutes to Langford's 3 assists and 19 rebounds. Assists really seems to be the biggest hole currently in Langford's game. The Celtics offense is predicated on ball movement so if Langford is a black hole that isn't going to cut it. I am not saying Langford is a black hole. I just don't want to see him become one.

Porter is given freedom to do what he wants with the ball in his hands on a crappy team. Romeo is a cog in a machine. He shoots when he is open or he swings the ball.

I'm high on Romeo, but his shot still looks broke to me. I was hopeful it only seemed bad in college because of the hand/finger injury, but the j is ugly.

Of course, that is something that can (hopefully) be improved. Other than that, he looks like a ballplayer to me.

Now, I'm not saying Michael Porter DOESN'T, but its tough to compare the two right now.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#499 » by Red2 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:14 pm

I had high hopes for carsen Edwards . I thought he’d be our most impactful rookie . I still think he could develop into a Van Vleet type of player but I have a lot more doubts about his future as an nba player than I did at the start of the season .
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#500 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:34 pm

24istheLAW wrote:
Powesknees wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I don't think so. He needed some time down in the G-League.

IMO this is an extremely revisionist take. They were rebuilding Romeo's shooting motion during the offseason. He had the thumb injury. More than anything else, he needed to get a chance to get his legs under him as a shooter, and build some confidence in his ability to shoot the basketball. That's where the G League comes in. He needs/needed game reps shooting. The worst thing you could have done is give him 1 3PA a game with the big club, knowing that if he misses he doesn't get another one... He started in the developmental league because he needs/needed development.

The Celtics, like everyone else on earth, also presumably did not anticipate him being as useful as a defensive player off the bench as he's been. "Romeo Langford will adapt quickly to being an NBA role player" is something that hasn't been said by anyone on RealGM/college hoops media/NBA draft media etc. Sometimes things develop differently than planned.

Also while Romeo's contributions as a defender are a pleasant surprise, he's only made 5 of 20 3PA, including an airball. Maybe he could use more time in the G-league.

Romeo got off to a really slow start. Numerous injuries. No training camp. No Summer League. Rebuilding his shot. I look forward to seeing his work in the offseason to improve, get a full training camp, and be ready to go. I think Carsen will settle in as well to NBA speed and defenders and I still think he will contribute next season too. If we get just ONE of these guys to make a leap to reliable role player, it changes so much for this team's bench.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured

Return to Boston Celtics