ImageImageImage

Tatum and Brown, as 1-2 Options

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,840

Re: Tatum and Brown 

Post#801 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:53 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#802 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:05 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:I think the majority of teams have three better players than Jaylen and a couple that don't are because they're paying two much better players huge money so they can't afford it.

Which 16+ teams do you have in mind? Since you rightly acknowledge Jaylen as being "all-star caliber", which 16+ teams do you think have 4 or more all-star caliber players?

Never said anything about teams with 4 or more all-star caliber players. We might be the only one in the league which is why we are widely considered to have the best starting five in the NBA.

Teams with three better players (now or will develop into) than Jaylen Brown:

Boston
Brooklyn
Chicago
Denver
Golden State
Los Angeles Clippers
Indiana
Memphis
Orlando
Milwaukee
New Orleans
Oklahoma
Philadelphia
Sacramento
San Antonio
Utah

he'd be at best the 3rd best player on almost every other team. Several of these teams are a draft pick or young player developing away from joining that above list. And btw, Jaylen will be making $25-29 million per season going forward while the 4th best player on other teams is making much less.

cue green goggle wearers scoffing and resorting to calling wrong think trolling
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#803 » by ParticleMan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:50 am

^^ it doesn't add up, man.

JB is generally acknowledged as a borderline allstar. If there were a second-tier group of 15 allstars, no question he would be in it. So then that's top 30.

Now you claim that 16 teams have 3 players better than JB. So, that's 48 players better than JB... who's a top-30 player. Maybe add a couple who didn't make it like Zion but who will be better soon. Still doesn't add up.

Hmmm. I guess green goggles must help with math skills.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#804 » by BillessuR6 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:28 am

LOL at the list...BostonCouchGM you make the most ridiculous posts...I am pretty sure you are some other team`s fan just trolling the board...
Celticfan_N_FL
Analyst
And1: 1,018

Post#805 » by Celticfan_N_FL » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:49 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:Teams with three better players (now or will develop into) than Jaylen Brown:

Boston :o
Brooklyn :nonono:
Chicago :lol:
Denver
Golden State
Los Angeles Clippers
Indiana :wavefinger:
Memphis :crazy:
Orlando :rofl:
Milwaukee
New Orleans :lol:
Oklahoma :crazy:
Philadelphia :noway:
Sacramento :noway:
San Antonio :crazy:
Utah
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#806 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:33 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:Teams with three better players (now or will develop into) than Jaylen Brown:

Before you added the highlighted part, you claim was completely stupid as written. (It happens; we all type a little too quickly at times on the internet.) The modified form, while in my opinion still wrong, deserves discussion. Comments below.

BostonCouchGM wrote:

Boston Not obvious, given Hayward's inconsistency and Kemba's meh defense.
Brooklyn Not likely. Until we see them next year, we can't be sure there are even two.
Chicago Who?? My estimate is zero.
Denver Jokic, of course. You probably also mean Murray. Who else do you have in mind?
Golden State That's a reasonable view of Draymond.
Los Angeles Clippers Wiliams?? Harrell?? Patrick Beverly?? Marcus Morris??
Indiana Debatable but certainly not crazy.
Memphis I assume you start with Morant and JJJ. Who's the third -- Brandon Clarke???
Orlando Seriously? My estimate is closer to zero.
Milwaukee Giannis is obviously correct. Middleton is obvious very defensible. Who else?
New Orleans Zion and Ingram are both defensible choices, even in the face of health risks. Who's your third -- Jrue?
Oklahoma I presume you mean to include both CP3 and SGA. But who else???
Philadelphia Horford?? Josh Richardson?? Seriously -- who?
Sacramento I assume you mean Fox, but I'm blanking on who would even take the total up to two.
San Antonio ???
Utah Gobert and Mitchell are probably correct choices -- but who else?

he'd be at best the 3rd best player on almost every other team. Several of these teams are a draft pick or young player developing away from joining that above list.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#807 » by 3D Chess » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Harris for Philly
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#808 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:46 pm

3D Chess wrote:Harris for Philly

OK -- but on what basis?
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#809 » by 3D Chess » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:52 pm

3D Chess wrote:Harris for Philly

OK -- but on what basis?

Their stats are pretty much identical. And I ain't saying he's better, just saying he exists (looked like you had kinda forgot about him in your list).
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#810 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:11 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:I think the majority of teams have three better players than Jaylen and a couple that don't are because they're paying two much better players huge money so they can't afford it.

Which 16+ teams do you have in mind? Since you rightly acknowledge Jaylen as being "all-star caliber", which 16+ teams do you think have 4 or more all-star caliber players?

Never said anything about teams with 4 or more all-star caliber players. We might be the only one in the league which is why we are widely considered to have the best starting five in the NBA.

Boston
Brooklyn
Chicago
Denver
Golden State
Los Angeles Clippers
Indiana
Memphis
Orlando
Milwaukee
New Orleans
Oklahoma
Philadelphia
Sacramento
San Antonio
Utah

he'd be at best the 3rd best player on almost every other team. Several of these teams are a draft pick or young player developing away from joining that above list. And btw, Jaylen will be making $25-29 million per season going forward while the 4th best player on other teams is making much less.

Not trying to pile on, but how can all of these teams have three players better than Jaylen Brown and also have significantly worse records than the Celtics? lmao the Bulls and Magic.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,722

Post#811 » by Slax » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:12 pm

The "is Jaylen Brown better than the average third best player on an NBA team" debate here (which like most of you I consider already settled in his favor) reflects a bunch of questions about our team's overall talent level that have gone incredibly in our favor. If in the offseason, you asked if the Celtics could plausibly contend for a championship this season, you would have asked yourself a bunch of the following questions, and probably answered no to most or all of them:

1. Is Kemba good enough to be the best player on a championship team?
2. Is Tatum going to be good enough to be the second best player on a championship team?
3. Is Brown going to be good enough to be the third best option on a championship team?
4. Is Hayward going to be healthy enough to be the fourth best option on a championship team?
5. Is it possible to win a championship with no serviceable center?

The answer to enough of these questions would have been enough of an overwhelming no that being a dark horse contender wasn't even conceivable. But a lot of the developments over the course of the season have rendered these questions moot:

1. Kemba isn't even the best player anymore. Is he good enough to be the SECOND best player on a championship team? Probably not for most teams, but it's not completely impossible, if you have enough surrounding talent.
2. Tatum is now the best player on the team, and still improving. Is he good enough to be the BEST player on a championship team this year? I think this is something we have yet to find out. Again it depends on surrounding talent, and it also depends on how well he can continue to play to the end of the season and into the postseason. But it's not unthinkable anymore.
3. Yes, development from Brown suggests he is now good enough to be the third best player on some championship teams, although it's again kind of a maybe because you need the right players around him. But he's probably not even the third best player on this team! Bringing us to:
4. Hayward is playing incredible basketball, and is great even as a third option!
5. Finally, Theis has been an actually good glue guy at center this year.

So now we're in a situation where we had a bunch of questions with really obvious nos for answers, and now things have changed so much that we have to ask an entirely different set of questions, to which the answers are a mix of yeses and maybes. So we're not exactly a title favorite, but we are unexpectedly competitive with the teams that are. It's vanishingly rare to see so many things go a team's way over the course of a season.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,849

Post#812 » by 24istheLAW » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:25 pm

Boston
Brooklyn
Chicago
Denver
Golden State
Los Angeles Clippers
Indiana
Memphis
Orlando
Milwaukee
New Orleans
Oklahoma
Philadelphia
Sacramento
San Antonio
Utah

It's not trolling, it's just that some of these are truly inane. Orlando? Memphis? Sacramento? Chicago?

I'd get it if Brown had weak stats at least. But he doesn't. He has better stats than this giant pile of two-bit tank commanders AND he helps a team actually win at basketball in the process.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,788

Post#813 » by 31to6 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Topic of conversation: how will Jaylen react to Tatum being The Star?
His first comments on it -- "we have to go with him" -- were great.
Seems like this could be an important factor going forward.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#814 » by Floody100 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:05 pm

31to6 wrote:Topic of conversation: how will Jaylen react to Tatum being The Star?

I think Brown has settled with that fact that as good as he can be, Tatum is going to be the superior player going forward.
I think he’s pretty happy being the number 2 option if it means they’re winning championships.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#815 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:06 pm

Floody100 wrote:
31to6 wrote:Topic of conversation: how will Jaylen react to Tatum being The Star?

I think Brown has settled with that fact that as good as he can be, Tatum is going to be the superior player going forward.
I think he’s pretty happy being the number 2 option if it means they’re winning championships.

I believe Brown and Tatum have leapfrogged each other multiple times as to who is the better player. But I also believe that's over now, and Tatum will be better from here on out.
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,817

Post#816 » by TommyPointGawd » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:29 pm

Tatum will be Goku to Browns Vegeta for those who get the reference.
Brown will improve to try to catch up(probably never will) but he will get better trying and hopefully surpass others on the way. They are the most important players on the team. To win it all Brown will have to be at least #2
I apologize for the things I have said in the past. :cry:
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#817 » by Ill News » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:32 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:

Boston
Brooklyn
Chicago
Denver
Golden State
Los Angeles Clippers
Indiana
Memphis
Orlando
Milwaukee
New Orleans
Oklahoma
Philadelphia
Sacramento
San Antonio
Utah

That list of yours just gave me cancer.

No, we're not green goggle wearers when it comes to Jaylen, because his on-court performance backs up all the praise he's been getting. You're just a hater who shouldn't be listened to.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#818 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:59 pm

Ill News wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Boston
Brooklyn
Chicago
Denver
Golden State
Los Angeles Clippers
Indiana
Memphis
Orlando
Milwaukee
New Orleans
Oklahoma
Philadelphia
Sacramento
San Antonio
Utah

That list of yours just gave me cancer.

No, we're not green goggle wearers when it comes to Jaylen, because his on-court performance backs up all the praise he's been getting. You're just a hater who shouldn't be listened to.

oh no! :(
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#819 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:27 pm

24istheLAW wrote:

Boston
Brooklyn
Chicago
Denver
Golden State
Los Angeles Clippers
Indiana
Memphis
Orlando
Milwaukee
New Orleans
Oklahoma
Philadelphia
Sacramento
San Antonio
Utah

It's not trolling, it's just that some of these are truly inane. Orlando? Memphis? Sacramento? Chicago?

I'd get it if Brown had weak stats at least. But he doesn't. He has better stats than this giant pile of two-bit tank commanders AND he helps a team actually win at basketball in the process.

Orlando: Bamba, Vucevic and Isaac without question. Even Fultz has a chance to develop into a better player.
Memphis: Morant and JJJ without question. I'd take the big who spreads the floor, shoots 37% from three and can score (20 ppg last year) in Valanciunas over Jaylen. Imagine him on our team right now instead of Brown? We'd be finals favorites.
Sacramento: Fox, Hield and Bagley without question.
Chicago: LaVine and Markannen for sure and White will be better than Jaylen. Already starting to play like it (3 straight 30 point games) and is way ahead of where Jaylen was as a rookie.

Not sure why I'm bothering really.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#820 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:32 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Orlando: Bamba, Vucevic and Isaac without question. Even Fultz has a chance to develop into a better player.
Memphis: Morant and JJJ without question. I'd take the big who spreads the floor, shoots 37% from three and can score (20 ppg last year) in Valanciunas over Jaylen. Imagine him on our team right now instead of Brown? We'd be finals favorites.
Sacramento: Fox, Hield and Bagley without question.
Chicago: LaVine and Markannen for sure and White will be better than Jaylen. Already starting to play like it (3 straight 30 point games) and is way ahead of where Jaylen was as a rookie.

Not sure why I'm bothering really.

Bamba over Brown? Serioiusly???
What has Bagley accomplished that gives you confidence about his future?
How do you compare Hield's and Brown's defense?
LaVIne over Brown -- why?
Markkannen over Brown -- I assume that's because of size, but how does that size actually translate into defense or rebounding?

Return to Boston Celtics