Gfycat Video - Click to Play
60/21/10
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 35,904

Re: Why TF did we draft brunson? 

Post#182 » by Dirk » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:Really proud how the team fought this game. Made some bad mistakes but this way they can now grow. Brunson played great IMO.

He did play well. Take away a bad turnover and a bad miss at the rim and not getting at least two blatant calls and his game would have been perfect. Inserted into a tough situation, finished a +14, next best was at +5.

Some of his passing was great...

60/21/10
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#183 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:29 pm

Dirk wrote:He (Brunson) did play well...

Dirk, I like you a lot. You always post really good content and are very upbeat.

But, it really annoys me when someone wants to complain about the officiating.

This is just my opinion. For example, the Luka drive on Cory Joseph vs SAC. That's a time to be a little ticked with the officials. Because Luka did the right thing. There's nothing wrong with that play. He made the optimal basketball decision there. He just got fouled on the elbow. There's nothing anyone would advise Luka to do differently.

To be fair to the refs, when I saw that play live I just thought Luka missed it. I only saw the foul on the replay because it was subtle; it just happened to be right on the flex of Luka's elbow in the shooting motion, which is very egregious.

The Brunson foul at the end of OT is a very different story. First, there's a long.... LONG... standing tradition in the NBA of the referees not bailing out players at the rim at the end of games on game deciding plays. The refs aren't trying to decide the game. They want the players to decide the game. This has been the case ever since I first started watching the NBA back in 1988.

Why on earth would we expect anything different? This wasn't the '06 Finals were the fix was in. I mean, I understand the confusion with it being DAL & MIA in this game, but the refs just don't make a habit of doing that. ESPECIALLY, when you're outnumbered. Brunson would of had to been knocked to the floor on that play to get the foul call.

But, here's the other thing. Take a look at the Tweet I posted in the game thread. It's on the 9th page (second to last), right now. You have Jalen Brunson in the paint surrounded by 5 Heat players. You have KP, THJ & Kleber WIDE OPEN behind the 3 point line. Not a Heat player within 10 feet of any of them. You have Finney-Smith underneath the basket, a side step away creating a passing lane for Brunson (clapping his hands in excitement, trying to get Brunson's attention because he knows he's WIDE OPEN for the layup... Luka would of found him), and Brunson says NO THANK YOU to all of that. He continues to drive, he gets swallowed up by the defense.

Tell me you thought it was a foul in real time, and I'll call you a liar. Because there was no way to even see Brunson. He's only 6-1 and being surrounded by a group of players 6-6 to 6-10. The refs couldn't even see him, which is just further evidence it was a HORRIBLE decision by Brunson. But, that's all this dude knows. Put on my cape, I'm a little bowling ball, so let me bull over the defense & score. He doesn't think pass. That much is blatantly obvious in the tweet I copied & posted.

And, you're a very smart basketball fan, and you're mad at the officials---INSTEAD of Jalen Brunson who missed ALL FOUR OF HIS TEAMMATES and took a bad shot. That was a bad shot. Period. It was a bad idea. It was dumb. Very low basketball IQ... and you want the officials to bail him out at the end of the game when he tried to play 1 on 5???

Sure, if you see a replay and have the advantage of watching it in slow motion. Yup. Nunn bumps him with the body in the shooting motion. That's 2 shots. Dos tiro libros! BUT, it wasn't egregious. You're not always going to get that call. And, you'll almost never get it at the end of the game. This isn't a surprise.

What's surprising to me is how so many fans aren't upset with Jalen Brunson. On the other hand, he got his ass roasted on Twitter last night. He was a trending topic. There's where I got that tweet from. I saw he was trending, clicked on his name & I can't tell you how many times I read Jalen Brunson & Hero Ball in the same sentence.

You know that's my pet peeve. I grew up being coached to believe that TOM should be the leading scorer EVERY time for our team. TOM = The Open Man. I hate, HATE.... HAAAAAAAAATE!!! Hero Ball, and I grew up in the And1 mixtape era of ISO hoops, so I have a really bad case of it.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now. But, if you found my tirade annoying just now, that's how I feel when people complain about the refs... when it was the player who made the mistake.
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#184 » by Captain_Obvious » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:42 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:
Dirk wrote:He (Brunson) did play well...

Dirk, I like you a lot. You always post really good content and are very upbeat.

But, it really annoys me when someone wants to complain about the officiating.

This is just my opinion. For example, the Luka drive on Cory Joseph vs SAC. That's a time to be a little ticked with the officials. Because Luka did the right thing. There's nothing wrong with that play. He made the optimal basketball decision there. He just got fouled on the elbow. There's nothing anyone would advise Luka to do differently.

To be fair to the refs, when I saw that play live I just thought Luka missed it. I only saw the foul on the replay because it was subtle; it just happened to be right on the flex of Luka's elbow in the shooting motion, which is very egregious.

The Brunson foul at the end of OT is a very different story. First, there's a long.... LONG... standing tradition in the NBA of the referees not bailing out players at the rim at the end of games on game deciding plays. The refs aren't trying to decide the game. They want the players to decide the game. This has been the case ever since I first started watching the NBA back in 1988.

Why on earth would we expect anything different? This wasn't the '06 Finals were the fix was in. I mean, I understand the confusion with it being DAL & MIA in this game, but the refs just don't make a habit of doing that. ESPECIALLY, when you're outnumbered. Brunson would of had to been knocked to the floor on that play to get the foul call.

But, here's the other thing. Take a look at the Tweet I posted in the game thread. It's on the 9th page (second to last), right now. You have Jalen Brunson in the paint surrounded by 5 Heat players. You have KP, THJ & Kleber WIDE OPEN behind the 3 point line. Not a Heat player within 10 feet of any of them. You have Finney-Smith underneath the basket, a side step away creating a passing lane for Brunson (clapping his hands in excitement, trying to get Brunson's attention because he knows he's WIDE OPEN for the layup... Luka would of found him), and Brunson says NO THANK YOU to all of that. He continues to drive, he gets swallowed up by the defense.

Tell me you thought it was a foul in real time, and I'll call you a liar. Because there was no way to even see Brunson. He's only 6-1 and being surrounded by a group of players 6-6 to 6-10. The refs couldn't even see him, which is just further evidence it was a HORRIBLE decision by Brunson. But, that's all this dude knows. Put on my cape, I'm a little bowling ball, so let me bull over the defense & score. He doesn't think pass. That much is blatantly obvious in the tweet I copied & posted.

And, you're a very smart basketball fan, and you're mad at the officials---INSTEAD of Jalen Brunson who missed ALL FOUR OF HIS TEAMMATES and took a bad shot. That was a bad shot. Period. It was a bad idea. It was dumb. Very low basketball IQ... and you want the officials to bail him out at the end of the game when he tried to play 1 on 5???

Sure, if you see a replay and have the advantage of watching it in slow motion. Yup. Nunn bumps him with the body in the shooting motion. That's 2 shots. Dos tiro libros! BUT, it wasn't egregious. You're not always going to get that call. And, you'll almost never get it at the end of the game. This isn't a surprise.

What's surprising to me is how so many fans aren't upset with Jalen Brunson. On the other hand, he got his ass roasted on Twitter last night. He was a trending topic. There's where I got that tweet from. I saw he was trending, clicked on his name & I can't tell you how many times I read Jalen Brunson & Hero Ball in the same sentence.

You know that's my pet peeve. I grew up being coached to believe that TOM should be the leading scorer EVERY time for our team. TOM = The Open Man. I hate, HATE.... HAAAAAAAAATE!!! Hero Ball, and I grew up in the And1 mixtape era of ISO hoops, so I have a really bad case of it.

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now. But, if you found my tirade annoying just now, that's how I feel when people complain about the refs... when it was the player who made the mistake.

Jalen thought he had the foul when Nunn jumped into him. So he tried for a 3pt play. Only the whistle didn't come as expected. It was a good play.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#185 » by DJ_3_Ball » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:47 pm

Captain_Obvious wrote:Jalen thought he had the foul when Nunn jumped into him. So he tried for a 3pt play. Only the whistle didn't come as expected. It was a good play.

That's really stupid.

Let's make it simple. Any time, no matter the circumstances, any time you're surrounded by 5 opponents and you take a shot, that's dumb.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#186 » by Dirk » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:34 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:
Jalen thought he had the foul when Nunn jumped into him. So he tried for a 3pt play. Only the whistle didn't come as expected. It was a good play.

I'm leaving this here for posterity.

NBA words. Not ours.

Fouled with 14 seconds to go

No replay needed. You fake a guy. He lands on you. That's a clear foul. Video here https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1918779&start=160#p80351769

NBA also admits foul late in the 4th

There was at least one other bad non call. Outside 2 minutes.

I was unaware that people hated Brunson this much though, to the point of taking frames out of a play where he gets clearly fouled and using that against him. On a game where the guy played way above expectations. I hate to imagine how they'll react when Brunson actually plays terribly, which will happen.

Brunson overall (year 1 + 25 games) has been a good player for the Mavs and has looked like a solid pick. This season (25 games) he has been underwhelming (inconsistent role - bad shooting + hesitant [I am ignoring the blowouts vs NOP/GSW]) --- ironically, despite this he was the guy with better +/- numbers. This game against Miami was his best of the year by far... so its amusing that anyone complains about a 18-7-8 game, where he was a +14.
60/21/10
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#187 » by Bob8 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:16 am

Dirk wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:

I'm leaving this here for posterity.

NBA words. Not ours.

Fouled with 14 seconds to go

No replay needed. You fake a guy. He lands on you. That's a clear foul. Video here https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1918779&start=160#p80351769

NBA also admits foul late in the 4th

There was at least one other bad non call. Outside 2 minutes.

I was unaware that people hated Brunson this much though, to the point of taking frames out of a play where he gets clearly fouled and using that against him. On a game where the guy played way above expectations. I hate to imagine how they'll react when Brunson actually plays terribly, which will happen.

Brunson overall (year 1 + 25 games) has been a good player for the Mavs and has looked like a solid pick. This season (25 games) he has been underwhelming (inconsistent role - bad shooting + hesitant [I am ignoring the blowouts vs NOP/GSW]) --- ironically, despite this he was the guy with better +/- numbers. This game against Miami was his best of the year by far... so its amusing that anyone complains about a 18-7-8 game, where he was a +14.

It’s not about Brunson’s hate, we have here some new members, especially one, who is much smarter than others and takes very personal if someone except Luka plays well. Brunson had fantastic game yesterday, he basically step in Luka’s shoes and has almost brought home improbable win. (THJ is playing very good too after bad start and KP is the main reason for Mavs’ improved D. )
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#188 » by wolfram » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:25 am

I think they should use THJ more down the stretch, he was hot and he took I think 1 shot in the end of 4th/OT. Brunson played well but had a missed layup (wtf?) and some questionable drives under the rim with 4 defenders on him. Overall he was solid and I don't expect more from him.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man

Post#189 » by DJ_3_Ball » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Dirk wrote:... I was unaware that people hated Brunson this much though, to the point of taking frames out of a play where he gets clearly fouled and using that against him...

Dirk, the screenshot of Brunson's drive does make it look like those 3 Mavs were wide open, when 2 MIA defenders sagged off of those shooters after it was clear Brunson was continuing his drive to the basket. So, it's a bit misleading, but Brunson definitely could have found an open teammate, if he so desired.

What's more damning is in your own clip you provided, intended to prove the Mavs were screwed on the non-call. That's where I first saw it. Dorian Finney-Smith clapping his hands together rapidly.

I'm sure you've played ball before. You ever known you were wide open & your teammate didn't see you. Clapping your hands together is a tell tale sign of that. You're trying to get your teammates attention. Go back & look at the clip. DFS is right under the basket and he's wide open. If Brunson had court vision he would of dished it off to DFS for the easy 2.

Luka would of found DFS. Brunson only looks for his teammates when his penetration is stopped. He's not a pass-first guard, and I just don't care for him.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man
And1: 424

Re: Jalen Brunson discussion 

Post#190 » by HairyGOATee » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:26 pm

So is Brunson gonna start at PG in Luka's absence?
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#191 » by Dirk » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:06 pm

HairyGOATee wrote:So is Brunson gonna start at PG in Luka's absence?

He starts because that's what disrupts the team the less. Delon keeps the role off the bench. I was surprised that Barea didn't play, but it's a sign that things were just rolling well.

This guy put on a basketball clinic.

A game like this one vs Bucks shows why he is a winner. The number of times where the ball was dumped on him and he was able to not rush things, not settle for bad shots and just make smart moves and then deliver good passes was incredible.

He can have 5 bad games now for all I care. It's just encouraging to see him be that steady in such a tough spot (replacing a god in the lineup). Only blemish is missing at the rim a couple of times, size is an issue for that, but he still can probably do better there. Anyway, just an overachiever, not bad to have a midget pg who can give you 32 minutes in a win on the road against a team on an 18 win streak.

Click the clips below to see him at work. Sort through them, some are very nice (like in the game vs Miami) and immediately give away that he has superior iq.

Spoiler:

60/21/10
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#192 » by HairyGOATee » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:32 pm

Yeah, I picked up Brunson for my fantasy team. I figured he'd start and was confident he'd put up good numbers. Gonna keep him as long as Luka is out.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#193 » by Dirk » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:39 am

Absinthe wrote:Brunson is ending up being one of the best picks the Mavs have had in a long time prior to Luka. I don’t think he’ll ever be a super star or anything, but he will end up being a significant role player.

dirkules_41 wrote:JALON BRUNSON!

Easy to see why he gets named College Player of the Decade. It's amusing how the guy never changes. You would never know if the Mavs were up 15 or down 15. He always has the same demeanour.

This beat a zone d

He ran circles here

This broke the ankles of some french guy that is highly rated for his d, sucks it didnt go in

He finally got to hit shots in the paint and at the basket

And,on the same action, he looked for Powell once or twice

The mid-range

Does just enough to still create plays (replacing the Slavic god) and find guys open

And of course, this play.
60/21/10
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#194 » by Dirk » Sun Feb 2, 2020 3:32 pm

Riveting

risp on point passing catch and shoot it and its done.

60/21/10
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#195 » by fuller4379 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:32 am

Read on Twitter
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#196 » by HairyGOATee » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:42 am

He's a tough dude, but if he really has a torn labrum, then honestly, I hope he gets the surgery done ASAP.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#197 » by arkuo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:30 am

Torn labrums are serious.
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#198 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:41 pm

arkuo wrote:Torn labrums are serious.

Yeah, that's why I hope he gets the surgery done ASAP. That and this isn't the year for him to fight through an injury like that. If it were a season where the Mavs had a top 4 seed, then sure, but this year they're likely going to be 6 or 7 seed.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#199 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:32 pm

Marc Stein: The Mavericks announce that guard Jalen Brunson has undergone surgery on his right shoulder. No timetable for his recovery was immediately set

– via Twitter TheSteinLine

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HairyGOATee
Sixth Man

Post#200 » by HairyGOATee » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:03 am

Pinkyring wrote:Really seems like a wasted pick to me, we have far more needs. On top of that, fish reported today that devin harris is coming back, so why do we need to carry 4 points that dont defend, in addition to having doncic who will and should handle it quite a bit too.

Still see it as a wasted pick?

Return to Dallas Mavericks