ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

AthrunZala
Freshman
And1: 25

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1 » by AthrunZala » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:26 am

Jayson Tatum has now grown full Super Saiyan mode. Next up is partner Vegeta, sooner or later Jaylen Brown will also discover his Super Saiyan power throught constant practice and perseverance. What do you think is his ceiling?
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#2 » by Higgs Boston » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:46 am

jeff green 2.0

I think a better scorer than Butler but with worse playmaking.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#3 » by Floody100 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:53 am

Ceiling for both Jays.
Tatum - Top 3 (maybe 1 one day)
Brown - Top 15

That’s as high as I think both can possibly get.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#4 » by Triple7 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:58 am

I think he could be the better version of Pippen. He’s long and athletic. He’s even a better shooter now than pippen. Tatum and brown combo would be very scary in the near future, assuming Brown takes a leap with Tatum. Plus, he’s very much willing to defer to Jayson, which would make the tandem more ideal.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,923

Post#5 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:02 am

Dunno.

But Jaylen is currently on pace to become the first Celtic ever to average 20+ ppg and 6+ rpg on 59%+ TS% at age 23 or younger.

Without the age restriction, it's only him, McHale (5x), and Bird (2x).

He's been crazy efficient from all over the floor. FT% can still improve. He's more pure scorer than facilitator/playmaker due to lack of vision, court awareness, and on-ball decision-making (who knows how much this can still improve).
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#6 » by Ill News » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:25 am

Higgs Boston wrote:jeff green 2.0

That's pretty harsh, unless you weren't being serious. He's already more consistent and impactful than Jeff Green ever was.

I think his ceiling is somewhere between Kawhi and Butler. I doubt he'll ever reach Kawhi's level of impact/efficiency, but I think he'll be much better than Butler, so I think pegging his ceiling in the middle of those two is reasonable. I think he can improve as a playmaker still; he's already shown flashes of creating for others, and I believe he'll still improve there.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#7 » by Higgs Boston » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:32 am

Ill News wrote:

That's pretty harsh, unless you weren't being serious. He's already more consistent and impactful than Jeff Green ever was.

I think his ceiling is somewhere between Kawhi and Butler. I doubt he'll ever reach Kawhi's level of impact/efficiency, but I think he'll be much better than Butler, so I think pegging his ceiling in the middle of those two is reasonable. I think he can improve as a playmaker still; he's already shown flashes of creating for others, and I believe he'll still improve there.

The Green comparison was obviously a joke, the comparison with butler is what I really think.
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#8 » by Ill News » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:39 am

Higgs Boston wrote:
Ill News wrote:

The Green comparison was obviously a joke, the comparison with butler is what I really think.

Good to know, I'm just really protective of my son. 8-)
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#9 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:13 pm

I think he will be a top 20-25ish player, which is really freaking good.

His post defense becoming as good as it has is pretty exciting, allows us to get away with playing small quite a bit.
Tai
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Post#10 » by Tai » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:20 pm

Andy Dalton :lol: (I'm sorry)

I definitely think he could be Butler if not surpass him. I agree with Ill News that saying he'll be Kawhi may be TOO ambitious, but somewhere close wouldn't outright shock me.
smartyz456 wrote:oh i am a laker fan for life

i'm just gonna be a warrior fan until lebron leaves the lakers

true laker fans don't root for lebron

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728641
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#11 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:31 pm

Triple7 wrote:I think he could be the better version of Pippen. He’s long and athletic. He’s even a better shooter now than pippen. Tatum and brown combo would be very scary in the near future, assuming Brown takes a leap with Tatum. Plus, he’s very much willing to defer to Jayson, which would make the tandem more ideal.

Pippen? Scottie is one of the best defensive players in NBA history, IMO. He was a monster…

Butler is a good comparison...with less playmaking but I think Brown can surpass him in other areas...
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#12 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Top 20-25 fringe all star on his best years.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#13 » by Wes-J » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:49 pm

Here we go.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#14 » by greenroom31 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:55 pm

This article is relevant to this thread: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/jayson-tatum-shining-jaylen-brown-deserves-your-attention-too?int

There are 18 players in the NBA this season averaging better than 20 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 assists per game. It’s pretty much the All-Star rosters with a few young stars mixed in, including Zion Williamson, Brandon Ingram, and Brown.

Even as Tatum erupts for some loud scoring nights — producing his third game of 30+ point during Wednesday’s trip-ending win over the Jazz — Brown has increased his own scoring average this season and at nearly an identical rate. Both players entered Wednesday’s game having increased their scoring average 7.4 points per game from last season.

Yes, Brown has been the beneficiary of the newfound attention that Tatum is drawing. But he’s had moments where he’s simply taken the baton, too.

Take Wednesday night as an example. Tatum went to the bench with 5 minutes to play in the third quarter and Boston down 1. Brown ignited a little run by feeding Marcus Smart for a reverse layup, then scored 10 of Boston’s next 12 points, all in a 2:36 span, culminating with a nifty stepback jumper to put Boston up 6.

The Celtics are now 23-5 this season when Brown scores 20 points or more. With Kemba Walker sidelined with knee soreness, that's made Brown’s offense all the more important. In typical Brown fashion, he shrugs off his own contributions, telling reporters in Utah after Wednesday’s game that he plans to be even better when the playoffs roll around.

The way that Brown has handled missing out on the All-Star game and being overshadowed by Tatum’s emergence speaks volumes about the player. He’s repeatedly said his focus is on the playoffs and helping Boston chase its loftiest postseason goals.

Brown's emergence deserves your attention, though. After all the frustrations of last season, Brown came back this year eager to showcase his true potential. He’s displayed new tricks, especially his improved ball-handling and a more disciplined approach to attacking the basket.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#15 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:56 pm

More than anything, i LOVE how this dude is handling the Tatum ascension. Most young guys who have played as well as JB has would get pissy and act miserable, but he has been the total opposite.

All the attention JT is getting on the court is just going to make Jaylen more dangerous, I'm excited to see it. I don't understand why most advanced stats hate JB as much as they do. RPM/RAPM/PIPM/Raptor definitely sell him quite a bit short. His defense in that Lakers game was arousing, he shut Bam the hell down a few weeks back too. I get on him for his defense at times, but it's only because when he is on defensively, it's a thing of beauty.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#16 » by 5InOfLouisville » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:04 pm

20-25 range seems reasonable to me, although certainly not guaranteed.

Needs to keep tightening his handle, keep his head up on drives, learn his spots, and keep working.

I think he actually has the makings of a decent distributor, but again, he has to keep that head up. if he sees the pass right away, he can make it, but he doesnt always react to defensive rotations and teammates cutting quickly enough.

He could be better at defensive rotations too, but I still feel like we could say that about everyone in the league, and JB takes more heat, perhaps because of his reputation. But his man-on-man defensive versatility is impressive.

The form on his J looks really solid to me, especially when compared to previous years. I think he still needs to work on consistency, but that we have a perennial borderline all-star on our hands at worst. Hell, he's already a borderline-allstar. But for us to be real contenders, he has to take it up one more level, and I think he has it in him.

I mentioned it before, and could be wrong, but I think he is built for the playoffs and we will be impressed by his performance this year.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#17 » by greenroom31 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Jaylen has had a tremendous season, is a very hard worker and great teammate, and came through last year mentally tougher and better than he was before. He's shooting almost 50% from the field and over 38% from 3pt, has increased his FT% to almost 75%. For some reason there's a faction of the board that feels the need to constantly point out his limitations rather than celebrate his skills, and to demean him through comparison to Tatum which is totally unnecessary -- it's not a zero-sum game.

I think Jaylen will be a top 20 player in the league and should be a multiple time all star. The case could be made that he should have been one this year (over Bam, Sabonis, Booker or Middleton).
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#18 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:06 pm

To me, people always underestimate ceilings and conflate ‘ceiling’ with ‘possible, but unrealistic outcome’.

His ceiling? As in best possible development? 25+ PPG, 8+ RPG and 4+ APG on 60+ TS% with elite defense. Possible but unrealistic outcome? 22 PPG, 7 RPG, 3 APG on 60+ TS% with very good but sometimes inconsistent defense.

I see him as a top 25/fringe all-star using the latter definition. But the former? Top 10, easily.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#19 » by 5InOfLouisville » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:16 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:To me, people always underestimate ceilings and conflate ‘ceiling’ with ‘possible, but unrealistic outcome’.

His ceiling? As in best possible development? 25+ PPG, 8+ RPG and 4+ APG on 60+ TS% with elite defense. Possible but unrealistic outcome? 22 PPG, 7 RPG, 3 APG on 60+ TS% with very good but sometimes inconsistent defense.

I see him as a top 25/fringe all-star using the latter definition. But the former? Top 10, easily.

This is a good point. We use "ceiling" incorrectly here, myself included. In fact, I tend to discuss the high end of what i consider to be a likely outcome when pondering the question of ceilings, when that isn't what it means at all.

Part of me hates to even use the real definition because i don't like to cap guys, and also because my takes are generally middle-of-the-road and wishy-washy.

Youre right. JB COULD be a top 10 guy, even though most of us would agree that this is unlikely. But it certainly isn't IMPOSSIBLE based on what we've seen.

I'd say 99.9% of players never reach their ceiling. Achieving perfection, even in terms of one's own ability, is nearly impossible.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#20 » by 100proof » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:25 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:Top 20-25 fringe all star on his best years.

a top 20 player is not a fringe allstar

He was a fringe allstar this season. If it wasnt for Kemba and Tatum he could have been an allstar, couldnt have 3 players in on the same team,

Return to Boston Celtics