ImageImageImage

Boston/Memphis/Milwaukee pick watch

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,217

Re: Boston/Memphis/Milwaukee pick watch 

Post#421 » by djFan71 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:03 am

HOU really took MEM to the meadow tonight.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,979

Post#422 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:36 am

Haven't been following the thread closely but I wanted to point out that according to the remaining strength of schedule (however that is computed) the Griz have the most difficult schedule in the NBA over the rest of the season.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#423 » by GoGreen » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:11 am

Not holding my breath, but Grizz are 3 games out of being in the lottery. With some luck we could move up a few slots.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,050

Post#424 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:33 am

Memphis just lost to Sacramento. This race for 10th pick is not over.
Read on Twitter

reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,331

Post#425 » by reload141 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:34 am

Lakers tomorrow too....but is LeBron playing?
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,672

Post#426 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:44 am

Pels now 2 games back of Memphis.

Both teams have Lakers next, but Memphis has them on a B2B for the Grizz.

Lakers will be on the B2B against NO.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#427 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:09 am

reload141 wrote:Lakers tomorrow too....but is LeBron playing?

Alex Caruso alone could beat the Grizzlies as injured as they are.

I'm pulling for that 11 seed now. SAC, POR, SAS and NO all with really good chances to pass MEM at this point, or at least tie and hope for a tiebreaker scenario. Phoenix with that 1 pct chance if they go back to playing like it's the first week of the season.

Biggest issue is that MEM is the only one of these teams that has no incentive to tank, whereas the rest do depending on how they view getting smacked in 4 games vs. having a small chance at a pick 1-4.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,311

Post#428 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:31 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
reload141 wrote:Lakers tomorrow too....but is LeBron playing?

Alex Caruso alone could beat the Grizzlies as injured as they are.

I'm pulling for that 11 seed now. SAC, POR, SAS and NO all with really good chances to pass MEM at this point, or at least tie and hope for a tiebreaker scenario. Phoenix with that 1 pct chance if they go back to playing like it's the first week of the season.

Biggest issue is that MEM is the only one of these teams that has no incentive to tank, whereas the rest do depending on how they view getting smacked in 4 games vs. having a small chance at a pick 1-4.

I think the percieved strength, or weakness rather of this draft class actually works in our favor here. Teams aren’t as apt to try to sink to the very bottom as there isn’t a surplus of super elite prospects at the top. It’s essentially Wiseman and a grab bag of mystery. Could work out like 2016 mind you but still.

I wouldn’t be shocked if a team or two from the east catches Memphis either. I could see them tumbling as low as 8th which gives us a punchers chance of this pick rolling over one more year
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#429 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:43 am

I don't buy that this draft is any different from any other in its aggregate, or at least you can't claim so with any amount of certainty, especially now where most players are one-and-done from college. They play like 500 minutes of college basketball (Wiseman like 30 minutes) and we're supposed to tell how good they all are relative to the crop of high schoolers who will be drafted two years from now? Every year people say the current draft is weak, wait till next year or two years from now. People said last year was weak after Zion. Multiple undrafted players are having phenomenal years, lots of good rookies playing impact ball immediately.

And I'd rather have an 8 pct chance at the 1-4 pick in a **** draft than the 16th pick in a great draft regardless. But I understand making a playoff series is not something to just completely throw away in the real world.

What East team has any chance of catching Memphis? Wizards and Charlotte? They both suck sooooooo bad and already have 6-7 more losses than Memphis.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,311

Post#430 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:16 am

Bleeding Green wrote:I don't buy that this draft is any different from any other in its aggregate, or at least you can't claim so with any amount of certainty, especially now where most players are one-and-done from college. They play like 500 minutes of college basketball (Wiseman like 30 minutes) and we're supposed to tell how good they all are relative to the crop of high schoolers who will be drafted two years from now? Every year people say the current draft is weak, wait till next year or two years from now. People said last year was weak after Zion. Multiple undrafted players are having phenomenal years, lots of good rookies playing impact ball immediately.

And I'd rather have an 8 pct chance at the 1-4 pick in a **** draft than the 16th pick in a great draft regardless. But I understand making a playoff series is not something to just completely throw away in the real world.

What East team has any chance of catching Memphis? Wizards and Charlotte? They both suck sooooooo bad and already have 6-7 more losses than Memphis.

I agree for the most part but it’s about perception for the front offices out there. The draft is a complete crap shoot on a year to year basis but we’ve seen the value of high picks fluctuate based on that perception. For example when we drafted Jaylen Brown and all the talk was out there of us moving that pick for Jimmy Butler. Fast forward a year later and that same 3 pick we used to take Jayson Tatum was perceived to have much more value. On paper, they were both the third overall pick but in reality they were valued far differently.

I think Memphis is absolutely trying to make the playoffs, they want the revenue as a small market team, however with their injuries they are in total freefall. They dumped Crowder and Winslow hasn’t even played yet. Clarke and JJJ are both out for an extended period and the pels have Zion back. I think it’s inevitable they fall out of the postseason race.

The wizards and Charlotte came to mind just because of scheduling, the bottom of the east sucks so hard and Memphis schedule is very tough. 6-7 games in the loss column isn’t insurmountable at this point but I’d agree it’s a longshot
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#431 » by SMTBSI » Sun Mar 1, 2020 2:00 am

Portland down 13 to the freaking Hawks, and LAL down 17 to MEM. Obviously we're not allowed to have nice things.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,937

Post#432 » by 31to6 » Sun Mar 1, 2020 4:30 am

SMTBSI wrote:Portland down 13 to the freaking Hawks, and LAL down 17 to MEM. Obviously we're not allowed to have nice things.

Yesterday was a nice thing. But nothing gold can stay, Ponyboy.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,335

Post#433 » by K For Three » Sun Mar 1, 2020 6:09 am

Lakers want no part of Zion Mania in the first round. I didn't see any of their game but I hope they didn't lie down on purpose.

Kinda odd too since obviously the Lakers still win that series anyway. But Zion is too much of a load to handle for a first round series at Lebron's age.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#434 » by djFan71 » Sun Mar 1, 2020 7:50 am

At least the Spurs won.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,050

Post#435 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Mar 1, 2020 8:07 am

Blazers and Suns lost. Grizzlies won what should have been a sure loss.

Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,956

Post#436 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Mar 1, 2020 8:11 am

lakers must think they have homecourt on lock? i hope clips win out and the lakers stumble in!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#437 » by SMTBSI » Mon Mar 2, 2020 1:02 am

Man, I'm not one for conspiracy theories (except in jest), but it's just so damned predictable that LA gets blown out by MEM, and then throttles the team chasing them (NOP) tonight. Why couldn't it have been the other way around?

Come on, prove me wrong LA, drop two in a row. I dare you. You won't.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#438 » by djFan71 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 10:12 pm

SAC may end up doing us a solid after screwing us last year. I can see NOP, SAC and SAS eventually passing the Griz. POR is looking bad until Dame gets back, but reports are saying Wed. If they catch fire again, we could be at 11, best case.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#439 » by djFan71 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 10:20 pm

SMTBSI wrote:Man, I'm not one for conspiracy theories (except in jest), but it's just so damned predictable that LA gets blown out by MEM, and then throttles the team chasing them (NOP) tonight. Why couldn't it have been the other way around?

Come on, prove me wrong LA, drop two in a row. I dare you. You won't.

I feel like you may to blame here... :)
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,331

Post#440 » by reload141 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:22 am

God damnit.

Josh Jackson with 10 points, this is Sacramento of last year all over again.

Return to Boston Celtics