ImageImageImage

How does this cheap ownership duck the tax next year?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

How does this cheap ownership duck the tax next year? 

Post#1 » by Arsenal » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:00 pm

See our salary table below. $8.5M over the luxury tax line with only 11 players under contract. So after adding 4 players, even at minimum, they'll be at least $12.5M over the tax line.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/philadelphia-76ers/cap/2020/

Since we know there is no way this cheap ownership group pays the tax for a non-contender that is likely to flame out 2nd round at best, what moves do you see us making to get under the tax line?

Personally I see us salary dumping Horford to anyone who will take him. Probably will need to attach picks and/or sweeteners like Josh Richardson to do so. They'll try to do a lopsided deal where they bring back $15M less in trade than they send out, however the cost will be significant.

I just hope they don't have to give up one of our young guys (Thybulle, Shake, Kork) to get it done, but I'm concerned they will.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Re: How does this cheap ownership duck the tax next year? 

Post#2 » by Kobblehead » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:36 pm

I don't think they're going to be able to. I think they're going to be stuck paying it. And it will likely lead to Harris getting pissed off and finally cleaning house.
Dave Meltzer
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#3 » by Dave Meltzer » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:38 pm

Trade Richardson for a pick to team with space. Maybe give Zhaire away to someone that wants him with space as well. That is 14 million out with you having them 12.5 over the line after adding some minimum players.

Probably stuck with Horford.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#4 » by youngcrev » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:00 pm

You think this ownership group is cheap?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,098

Post#5 » by Arsenal » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:55 pm

youngcrev wrote:You think this ownership group is cheap?

I'll respond to your question with another question... has this ownership group EVER paid the luxury tax in almost a decade of team ownership?
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#6 » by youngcrev » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:10 pm

Arsenal wrote:
youngcrev wrote:You think this ownership group is cheap?

I'll respond to your question with another question... has this ownership group EVER paid the luxury tax in almost a decade of team ownership?

That doesn't feel like a good measure since up until this past off-season they haven't been in a position to do so.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,155

Post#7 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:53 pm

Dave Meltzer wrote:Trade Richardson for a pick to team with space. Maybe give Zhaire away to someone that wants him with space as well. That is 14 million out with you having them 12.5 over the line after adding some minimum players.

Probably stuck with Horford.

Richardson is the best asset you have for moving Horford. His age and contract added to a poor production season all lower his value. Richardson is young and on a reasonable deal. Honestly, unless Horford moves you guys are going to struggle.
brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 593

Post#8 » by brannigan73 » Sun Mar 1, 2020 9:53 pm

Come on ownership is cheap you cant deny it. They let Redick stroll out the door when they didnt have too. They had his bird rights could have said just wait until we make the other moves and we'll sign you to the same exact contract the Pels offered. He wanted to be here. They would be so much better with JJ. Thats when it crystalized to me they didnt want to be tax payers and they wont be tax payers. That and jacking up the prices every year. Josh Harris claims to love the Sixers but his first love is the dollar. A good way to do it would be to trade Tobias for a comparable player who makes less money which probably isnt that hard to do or a few players that make less then Tobi but give your more value at a lesser price.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#9 » by youngcrev » Sun Mar 1, 2020 10:23 pm

brannigan73 wrote:Come on ownership is cheap you cant deny it. They let Redick stroll out the door when they didnt have too. They had his bird rights could have said just wait until we make the other moves and we'll sign you to the same exact contract the Pels offered. He wanted to be here. They would be so much better with JJ. Thats when it crystalized to me they didnt want to be tax payers and they wont be tax payers. That and jacking up the prices every year. Josh Harris claims to love the Sixers but his first love is the dollar. A good way to do it would be to trade Tobias for a comparable player who makes less money which probably isnt that hard to do or a few players that make less then Tobi but give your more value at a lesser price.

Nope. They had to renounce his bird rights to sign Horford.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#10 » by snoopdogg88 » Sun Mar 1, 2020 11:39 pm

They aren’t “cheap” they are just dumb.

They become cheap with 2nd round picks but will throw the max out at anyone.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,112

Post#11 » by TheBallsDeeper » Sun Mar 1, 2020 11:49 pm

brannigan73 wrote:Come on ownership is cheap you cant deny it. They let Redick stroll out the door when they didnt have too. They had his bird rights could have said just wait until we make the other moves and we'll sign you to the same exact contract the Pels offered. He wanted to be here. They would be so much better with JJ. Thats when it crystalized to me they didnt want to be tax payers and they wont be tax payers. That and jacking up the prices every year. Josh Harris claims to love the Sixers but his first love is the dollar. A good way to do it would be to trade Tobias for a comparable player who makes less money which probably isnt that hard to do or a few players that make less then Tobi but give your more value at a lesser price.

JJ is a great shooter, but Celtics really exposed him every time they played - just kept posting him up and it was guaranteed points. I don't think he is a big loss.
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#12 » by FlyingArrow » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:16 am

Shake Milton just became good enough to pair with Al Horford's contract and get a buyer. Let's hope that doesn't happen.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#13 » by 76ciology » Mon Mar 2, 2020 6:17 am

I can see Richardson getting traded, with a plethora of guys like Burks or Milton who can replace him.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
winston2chainz
Sophomore
And1: 180

Post#14 » by winston2chainz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:31 am

This upcoming off-season something along the lines of:

Hornets receive: Al Horford, 20xx Sixers first round pick lottery protected, 3rd team's first round pick lottery protected

3rd team receives: Josh Richardson, 20xx Sixers 2nd round pick

Sixers receive: Nicolas Batum & another expiring contract via 3rd team
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,116

Post#15 » by M2J » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:18 am

They should either pay it or blow it up.

Getting rid of an asset just to get rid of Horford, doesn't help this team win. Easy to get rid of him if you blow it up.

Like I said in a recent post, Brand did a great job this offseason maximizing the cap situation. They got quality pieces like Horford and Tobias before paying Simmons and becoming cap strapped. Get Richardson instead of losing Jimmy for nothing. Then locked in Milton for next to nothing for 4 years. Drafted Matisse. Include Korkmaz, and you have 4 pretty cheap or very cheap quality assets. You also have 2 young stars that you could get a
major haul for individually. Plus Tobias at his age, production and other intangibles, is still a pretty good asset that may get you the piece that you need or possibly a star in combined with some of those young assets.

I think Al right now is showing his value when you see he can fill in for either Ben or Joel and produce as a high level starter. We could definitely see that it made no sense to start all three. Combined with Tobias too, it is a log jam. There are 5 starters that can score 20 plus any night, and production for guys like Horford and Josh is going down... We've seen it for the stars too. We've yet to actually see how it looks to bring Al off the bench with a healthy roster.i think it could work well. But besides that, I don't think Al is done. Just doesn't fit as a starter on this team. Doesn't shoot well enough to be a 4 on this roster with Ben, but would be a fabulous 5 for any roster. For that, I think he fits as a back up on this roster and I think could be a contract that could be traded also without major assets.

This roster could give it a go one more year, if there is any promise after this season. Decide to make major moves during the season next year or that summer. There have been so many roster changes the last 3 seasons
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#16 » by youngcrev » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:23 pm

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#17 » by Negrodamus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:31 pm

youngcrev wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-13/apollo-s-josh-harris-will-pay-devils-arena-staff-during-shutdown

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.libertyballers.com/platform/amp/2020/3/13/21179114/comcast-spectacor-to-pay-workers-josh-harris-and-david-blitzer-philadelphia-sixers-staff

"Cheap" owner paying Sixers staff and Devil's arena staff during the shutdown (Comcast is taking care of game day employees at The Center as they own the building)

I'm glad the owner with a net worth of 4.2 billion could find some spare change to pay the people making between $10-$15/hr. The goodwill and positive publicity outweighs the alternative. Currently the Pelican's billionaire owner is getting crucified because Zion is picking up the tab.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#18 » by youngcrev » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
youngcrev wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-13/apollo-s-josh-harris-will-pay-devils-arena-staff-during-shutdown

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.libertyballers.com/platform/amp/2020/3/13/21179114/comcast-spectacor-to-pay-workers-josh-harris-and-david-blitzer-philadelphia-sixers-staff

"Cheap" owner paying Sixers staff and Devil's arena staff during the shutdown (Comcast is taking care of game day employees at The Center as they own the building)

I'm glad the owner with a net worth of 4.2 billion could find some spare change to pay the people making between $10-$15/hr. The goodwill and positive publicity outweighs the alternative. Currently the Pelican's billionaire owner is getting crucified because Zion is picking up the tab.

Well, that's a pretty cynical take. It's absolutely what he should do, and there's outside pressure to do so, but it's not something he has to do. Just like paying the luxury tax.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,761

Post#19 » by mjkvol » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

As youngcrev said, he didn't have to do it, yet he is. Whether you like the way he runs the team or not is irrelevant.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#20 » by Negrodamus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:43 pm

youngcrev wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

Well, that's a pretty cynical take. It's absolutely what he should do, and there's outside pressure to do so, but it's not something he has to do. Just like paying the luxury tax.

I'm not saying he has to do anything. But in the court of public opinions, doing nothing would be more harmful than doing something and you certainly don't become a billionaire by antagonizing your customers. I'm indifferent if he's doing this completely altruistically or with a hidden agenda, but I also don't think this says anything about him as a "cheap" owner.

I, personally, don't think he should go into the luxury tax this offseason with this paper dragon. I don't consider that a cheap move either. If we had Ben, Joel, Tatum, and D'Angelo Russell and were annihilating teams, I'd think the ownership was being cheap if they wanted to trade away a potential dynasty.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers