ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#1081 » by payitforward » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:19 pm

Rui had a very nice game vs. the Jazz. More games like that would give courage to the encouragers.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1082 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:03 pm

In the draft thread I need to learn something about Terrance Davis and what his attributes were
payitforward wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:...Don't bother throwing those advanced stats at me. I don't really put much stock in it. You obviously care a lot about it so it would be better directing them at someone who shares your interests...

I was pretty damxed cranky yesterday -- sorry!

I don't put any stock in "advanced stats" either. What wins games is pretty obvious -- 1. controlling the ball (to increase the number of opportunities you have to score) & shooting a high % (i.e. making the most of those opportunities).

Nothing advanced about either of those!

JWizmentality wrote:...Rui is a rookie, he is doing well for playing all of what? 3 months into his NBA career? ...

You are absolutely right -- there's no way to come to any judgment on Rui after only @1000 minutes. He has a shot to be a very good player.

For starters, he's been a whole lot better than 5 of the 8 guys taken before him.

Plus, of the 16 rookies who've played at least as many minutes as he has, only 4 of them have been better than Rui (Clarke, Morant, Thybulle, & Terence Davis).

Even if you widen it to guys who've played at least 500 minutes, only 8-9 rookies have been better than Rui. 1 was drafted last year, so he doesn't count, & a couple were undrafted or r2 picks on no one's radar.

So, I think your description, "doing well," fits him just fine. That's not the same as saying he's actually playing well overall (i.e. compared to all the players in the league -- not just other rookies), because he isn't. Only about 7 rookies are.

Sent from my SM-A205U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1083 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:06 pm

It is a no-brainer to me that the Wizards need to keep Bonga around.

Wall, Beal, Brown Jr, Bonga, Bryant + Okongwu/Oturo/Jalen Smith.

Ruzious wrote:

Watch the brilliant defense of Bonga on that play. He ran parallel to Giannis down the court, and - like a Ninja - flicked the ball - really causing the turnover just as Giannis reached Rui. Rui got the credit, but Bonga made that play possible.

Bye bye Beal.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1084 » by gambitx777 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:07 pm

You don't trade rui !

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
RealGM

Post#1085 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:23 pm

No you don't trade him either
gambitx777 wrote:You don't trade rui !

Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1086 » by payitforward » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:25 pm

1. Who suggested trading Rui?

2. Yet... anybody can be traded -- absolutely anybody! It just depends on the deal.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1087 » by gambitx777 » Sun Mar 1, 2020 12:17 am

Someone in the draft thread brought it up. Trading rui and our pick for a top 3 pick .
payitforward wrote:1. Who suggested trading Rui?

2. Yet... anybody can be traded -- absolutely anybody! It just depends on the deal.

payitforward
RealGM

Post#1088 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 1, 2020 5:03 pm

I must have missed that. Rui isn't being traded. That's obvious. We're going to get to watch him develop.

& development is the key word. The idea that, as you wrote,
gambitx777 wrote:...Rui is playing great....

...isn't the case, isn't to be expected, & above all is not helpful in understanding where this kid really is in his development process.

Among the 22 rookies who've played 800 minutes (the number is arbitrary -- just to get guys who've played enough that their sample size means something), Rui's production is comfortably in the top 40% of them (about #8). That's nothing super-special, but it's certainly ok. It's something to build on.

OTOH, of course, if you compare him against all PFs in the league -- an unfair comparison for nearly every rookie -- he's nowhere near average. Well down in the bottom half overall. That's not particularly surprising, & it's not awful. It's where almost every other rookie is compared to all players at his position!

Of course, as every year, there are a few exceptions. Morant is already an above average PG, Cody Martin is a surprise out of R2, & Terence Davis an even bigger one undrafted. Not to mention Brandon Clarke who continues to be over the top -- already among the most productive 4s in the league in his first year.
RealGM

Post#1089 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 2, 2020 1:04 am

payitforward wrote:1. Who suggested trading Rui?

EXACTLY.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1090 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 2, 2020 1:07 am

payitforward wrote:I must have missed that. Rui isn't being traded. That's obvious. We're going to get to watch him develop.

...isn't the case, isn't to be expected, & above all is not helpful in understanding where this kid really is in his development process.

Among the 22 rookies who've played 800 minutes (the number is arbitrary -- just to get guys who've played enough that their sample size means something), Rui's production is comfortably in the top 40% of them (about #8). That's nothing super-special, but it's certainly ok. It's something to build on.

OTOH, of course, if you compare him against all PFs in the league -- an unfair comparison for nearly every rookie -- he's nowhere near average. Well down in the bottom half overall. That's not particularly surprising, & it's not awful. It's where almost every other rookie is compared to all players at his position!

Of course, as every year, there are a few exceptions. Morant is already an above average PG, Cody Martin is a surprise out of R2, & Terence Davis an even bigger one undrafted. Not to mention Brandon Clarke who continues to be over the top -- already among the most productive 4s in the league in his first year.

Cody Martin? My only surprise is how on earth and why on earth wasn't he at least a mid-first round pick. Late lottery pick is where I would say he belonged. Near where Rui belonged IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1091 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 2, 2020 2:12 pm

The same Cody Martin who played with his twin brother Caleb? Doesn't seem like a real good young player to me - not even a surprise, tbh - considering he's a 24 year old rookie.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1092 » by nate33 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 2:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:The same Cody Martin who played with his twin brother Caleb? Doesn't seem like a real good young player to me - not even a surprise, tbh - considering he's a 24 year old rookie.

Cody Martin hasn't shown anything. He has a TS% of .497, a 3P% of .232 and has only managed to convince his coach to play him 739 total minutes on a woeful team. It's a joke to compare him to Hachimura.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1093 » by JWizmentality » Mon Mar 2, 2020 7:41 pm

payitforward wrote:I must have missed that. Rui isn't being traded. That's obvious. We're going to get to watch him develop.

Come at me two years from now. You're way too invested in poo pooing a 3 month NBA career.

P.S Good for Brandon Clarke. Go put it in his thread. :D
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1094 » by payitforward » Mon Mar 2, 2020 10:07 pm

nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:The same Cody Martin who played with his twin brother Caleb? Doesn't seem like a real good young player to me - not even a surprise, tbh - considering he's a 24 year old rookie.

Cody Martin hasn't shown anything. He has a TS% of .497, a 3P% of .232 and has only managed to convince his coach to play him 739 total minutes on a woeful team. It's a joke to compare him to Hachimura.

I could care less about Cody Martin, nate, & I didn't compare him to Rui. He's irrelevant. Throw him out.

If you think that what I said about Rui was inaccurate, I'd be happy to hear about it & to correct any error I made. I like the kid, & I'd like to see him succeed.

OTOH, blowing air up his a$$ so he can fly, which seems to be what most people here would like to do (not talking about you), ain't going to help him. Not really.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1095 » by payitforward » Mon Mar 2, 2020 10:11 pm

JWizmentality wrote:

Come at me two years from now. You're way too invested in poo pooing a 3 month NBA career.

P.S Good for Brandon Clarke. Go put it in his thread. :D

Why don't you read what I actually wrote? I didn't "poo poo" Rui or his career. I like him, & I made it clear that I did.

As to coming at you in two years, I don't think I'll waste my time. Tell me the last thing you were right about, why don't you? Because I can't remember anything much.

Sorry for the tone; fix yours in my direction & mine will be different too.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1096 » by payitforward » Mon Mar 2, 2020 10:36 pm

I'm leaving that, jwiz -- but I'm apologizing for it too. Sometimes I take my own ideas too seriously! Sorry about that, man...!
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#1097 » by JWizmentality » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:25 pm

payitforward wrote:I'm leaving that, jwiz -- but I'm apologizing for it too. Sometimes I take my own ideas too seriously! Sorry about that, man...!

No offense taken. I'm not that thin skinned. As to what I was right about. How about the only one on the board that said we'd pick Rui? And that he would be way more decent that anyone predicted? You may disagree..fine. I still think he'll be better long term than Brandon Clarke. I'm not blowing air up his ass. Rui has work to do but he's doing damn good 3 months in.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1098 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 3, 2020 10:00 pm

Good. :)

Good too for being the only one who predicted accurately that we'd pick Rui. But... of course that's not what I meant by "right." Still... we should leave that subject, as it was part of what I was apologizing for!!

Hey, I'll be delighted if Rui turns out to be better than Brandon Clarke. For one thing, I'm a Wizards fan! For another, Clarke is really kind of incredibly good, so if Rui reaches his level he will be too!

I'm not disappointed in Rui -- which is why I got ticked at being told I was "poo pooing" him. Rui has done the single most important thing a rookie can do: he's shown that he can play in the league. He's a 21 year old with less basketball experience than most of his peers at his age. So, what he's done is good. It counts.

Is he going to be a good player? I don't know that, & neither do you! But we both hope so. This off season will be really big for Rui.

Was picking Rui Hachimura the best thing to do with the #9 pick last year. No, not by a long shot. But... by now that's a long time ago! Not worth dredging up.

Peace!
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#1099 » by JWizmentality » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:45 pm

payitforward wrote:Good. :)

Good too for being the only one who predicted accurately that we'd pick Rui. But... of course that's not what I meant by "right." Still... we should leave that subject, as it was part of what I was apologizing for!!

Hey, I'll be delighted if Rui turns out to be better than Brandon Clarke. For one thing, I'm a Wizards fan! For another, Clarke is really kind of incredibly good, so if Rui reaches his level he will be too!

I'm not disappointed in Rui -- which is why I got ticked at being told I was "poo pooing" him. Rui has done the single most important thing a rookie can do: he's shown that he can play in the league. He's a 21 year old with less basketball experience than most of his peers at his age. So, what he's done is good. It counts.

Is he going to be a good player? I don't know that, & neither do you! But we both hope so. This off season will be really big for Rui.

Was picking Rui Hachimura the best thing to do with the #9 pick last year. No, not by a long shot. But... by now that's a long time ago! Not worth dredging up.

Peace!

Whether it was the right choice or not remains to be seen. You have an acute obsession with being "right" for some reason. And it drives your meticulous and somewhat irrelevant stat grinding. It reminds me of those FoxNews talking heads that chant "Ratings!!" at the slightest criticism. It's short sighted in my opinion.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1100 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:01 am

Dang it, dude! Am I comparing you to FoxNews guys!! Cut it out!

You know what really gets me right now... the fact that I just realized today that the Warriors are going to wind up getting James Wiseman, the kid'll turn out to be a superstar, Steph will be back & so will whatsisname, & they'll win another title!!

Return to Washington Wizards