ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: What is Jayson Tatums ceiling? 

Post#441 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:45 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:I can't believe people didn't pay this much attention when Chris Babb, Chris Johnson, and Abdel Nader were making waves with the Celtics.

Also, FIRE DANNY.

No joke my best friends cousin, is a c’s fan but he’s such a delusional homer. A few years back he told us that Abdel Nader was a valuable chip in a trade fOR AD
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,147

Post#442 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:54 am

Read on Twitter

LOL only 1.5 months of waiting...
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#443 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:54 pm

Another poster and i were talking about the Tatum/Josh Jackson debates in here before the draft. So i looked up the thread, some good stuff in there. Apparently i was a Tatum Stan even back then. I wasn't too high on Jackson, but damn I thought he'd be better than he has been.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1580651

The Comedian wrote:Tatum, won't really get into why because I'm a huge Tatum fan and may be biased. But I really think he's going to be a special player, he has the frame to bulk up and I think the athleticism concerns are somewhat overstated. He's athletic enough, IMO at least.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#444 » by cloverleaf » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#445 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:51 pm

The Comedian wrote:Another poster and i were talking about the Tatum/Josh Jackson debates in here before the draft. So i looked up the thread, some good stuff in there. Apparently i was a Tatum Stan even back then. I wasn't too high on Jackson, but damn I thought he'd be better than he has been.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1580651

The Comedian wrote:Tatum, won't really get into why because I'm a huge Tatum fan and may be biased. But I really think he's going to be a special player, he has the frame to bulk up and I think the athleticism concerns are somewhat overstated. He's athletic enough, IMO at least.

some takes there didn't age well. Curm wanting to trade down for Frank Nikilita...omg.

Good thing a lot of those posters don't post anymore. i see Higgs Boston still had bad takes 3 years ago.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#446 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Mar 1, 2020 5:38 am

Shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm pissed that the loss might cost Tatum the ECPotM. Giannis and the Bucks lost what, one game all month? 9 of their 10 wins were in double digits.

Read on Twitter
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,339

Post#447 » by K For Three » Sun Mar 1, 2020 5:40 am

31to6 wrote:All this is awesome but I am impressed how rarely Kemba's absence is mentioned (by the media) in the context of the TATSPLOSION

I mean if we still had that **** Kyrie Irving and he were out then people would say "Tatum's picked up his scoring in Kyrie's absence" right? But it's like do people even know Kemba Walker's a Celtic yet?

I think finally people are starting to notice the lack of Kemba Walker now lol.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,532

Post#448 » by KGtabake » Sun Mar 1, 2020 10:18 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:Shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm pissed that the loss might cost Tatum the ECPotM. Giannis and the Bucks lost what, one game all month? 9 of their 10 wins were in double digits.

I still think Tatum will get it because media like to award young and upcoming guys(and i agree)
If it was all about winning record and numbers, Giannis would have won it every month(along with almost every player of the week)
His February: 28.3/ 17/ 6.4 in 31 mins.
Bucks went 11-1(he didn't play on their only loss at Indy and on a W vs kings)

It's good though even if J don't get it. If we've reached this level, there will be many PoTM to come in the future.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#449 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Mar 1, 2020 10:23 am

KGtabake wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Shouldn't be a big deal, but I'm pissed that the loss might cost Tatum the ECPotM. Giannis and the Bucks lost what, one game all month? 9 of their 10 wins were in double digits.

I still think Tatum will get it because media like to award young and upcoming guys(and i agree)
If it was all about winning record and numbers, Giannis would have won it every month(along with almost every player of the week)
His February: 28.3/ 17/ 6.4 in 31 mins.
Bucks went 11-1(he didn't play on their only loss at Indy and on a W vs kings)

It's good though even if J don't get it. If we've reached this level, there will be many PoTM to come in the future.

Giannis has won it every month so far lol. Every week would be absurd 'cos every week, a different player can wax hot and teams go on win streaks. Bucks do lose games here and there.

Just hoping NBA gets voting fatigue and gives it to someone else. It's not like Tatum doesn't deserve it. He totally does, that last loss aside.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#450 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Mar 1, 2020 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,339

Post#451 » by K For Three » Mon Mar 2, 2020 7:07 am

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#452 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Mar 2, 2020 11:10 am

As I'm rarely on this forum, apologies if this has been posted already... excerpt from Zach Lowe's Ten NBA Things I Like...:

This Tatum can be a top-five player in the NBA someday -- maybe soon. That provides Boston a path to title contention, perhaps now and definitely later. It gives this season's team something every contender requires: a clear hierarchy. There can be no arguments about who should have the ball late.

Tatum seized that responsibility in a way that felt organic. It's as if the rest of the Celtics were waiting for him to take it, maybe without even realizing. Everyone agreed, in the moment, that this is how it should be.

That is basketball magic. It rarely happens so naturally.

Tatum's next step is to advance as a passer. He has shown hints; he's making the first read a beat earlier... Eventually, he will manipulate defenses, and make the pass one or two steps further down the chain than they expect. He doesn't project as a mega-assist ballhandling fulcrum, but there is no reason he can't average five or six dimes per game at his apex. Other scoring wings with that sort of profile have proved capable of being the best players on title teams.

Not comparing Tatum to KD's total game but Durant didn't see significant increase in his assist numbers (17.5% assist rate) until his 5th year. It peaked at 26.7% in his 7th year.

In any case, we can all agree this semi-meteoric rise from Tatum is an exciting thing. And he's only just begun.

Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#453 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Mar 2, 2020 3:19 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:As I'm rarely on this forum, apologies if this has been posted already... excerpt from Zach Lowe's Ten NBA Things I Like...:

This Tatum can be a top-five player in the NBA someday -- maybe soon. That provides Boston a path to title contention, perhaps now and definitely later. It gives this season's team something every contender requires: a clear hierarchy. There can be no arguments about who should have the ball late.

Tatum seized that responsibility in a way that felt organic. It's as if the rest of the Celtics were waiting for him to take it, maybe without even realizing. Everyone agreed, in the moment, that this is how it should be.

That is basketball magic. It rarely happens so naturally.

Tatum's next step is to advance as a passer. He has shown hints; he's making the first read a beat earlier... Eventually, he will manipulate defenses, and make the pass one or two steps further down the chain than they expect. He doesn't project as a mega-assist ballhandling fulcrum, but there is no reason he can't average five or six dimes per game at his apex. Other scoring wings with that sort of profile have proved capable of being the best players on title teams.

Not comparing Tatum to KD's total game but Durant didn't see significant increase in his assist numbers (17.5% assist rate) until his 5th year. It peaked at 26.7% in his 7th year.

In any case, we can all agree this semi-meteoric rise from Tatum is an exciting thing. And he's only just begun.

Guesses on the names Lowe was going to use as comps? Getting a Kobe/KD vibe off of him lol.

bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#454 » by bigboi » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:38 pm

I can’t believe I wanted DSJ over Tatum. Dude is a beast lol. I like this squad way better without Kyrie, everyone’s team oriented
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#455 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Mar 3, 2020 9:05 am

In honor of Tatum turning 22 today...

List of Players (since 1973) with CAREER averages of 17+ ppg, 56+% TS%, 1.5+% STL%, 2+ BLK% under age of 22:

That's the entire list.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#456 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Mar 3, 2020 2:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#457 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Mar 3, 2020 3:07 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

1,000 times better! What a ceiling.

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#458 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Mar 3, 2020 3:20 pm

It would really be a nice birthday present from the NBA if they announced our golden boy won Eastern Conference Player of the Month for February. Give chance to others, you Freak!
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,398

Post#459 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 3:51 pm

The Comedian wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
This probably will get me flamed, but I want Beal here. He, Jaylen Brown and Tatum would be lethal. Not sure what it would take for a trade like that to work, but I love how much faith he has in Tatum. I'd say Walker and Smart, but you lose both ball handlers. Hayward is here to stay.

A starting Lineup of

C: Kanter or Theis
PF: Tatum
SF: Brown
SG: Beal
PG: Smart

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#460 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:23 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
This probably will get me flamed, but I want Beal here. He, Jaylen Brown and Tatum would be lethal. Not sure what it would take for a trade like that to work, but I love how much faith he has in Tatum. I'd say Walker and Smart, but you lose both ball handlers. Hayward is here to stay.

A starting Lineup of

C: Kanter or Theis
PF: Tatum
SF: Brown
SG: Beal
PG: Smart

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

We prob don’t have the assets. It would cost brown tho as a starter

Return to Boston Celtics