OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#821 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Mar 1, 2020 4:01 pm

To me, the cost of streaming services is so high that it makes it prohibitive to use. I cancelled Hulu Live and went back to cable a while ago and it might be ten bucks more or whatever, but I get the Spectrum app, and I'm not watching sports with lag when I'm watching on my cable box.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutoyrial 

Post#822 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Mar 1, 2020 4:40 pm

^^^ agreed. Content is getting too fragmented. Easier for me to keep Uverse at a great price. Plus Netflix and Prime. Gives me 99% of what I want with great DVR, no lagging.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,201

Post#823 » by dbrodz7 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 12:08 am

I have had Uverse for the last three years. My contract runs out next month, so I have to make the call again in a couple weeks here. My service went out last Saturday morning and they didn't get it working until Tuesday. It went out again yesterday morning and they just got it up and running a half hour ago. They told me outside line guys don't work on Sundays, so it couldn't be fixed till Monday at the earliest. The guy showed up today and was frustrated how long we have had no service and he was up on the ladder with the telephone pole and in the electric box by the street. He switched our line over and got everything working again. Sounds like I hit the jackpot that someone who is incredible at his job that knew how to do everything did it when he didn't have to. Usually they only do inside equipment support on Sunday's, but this guy knew how to do everything and works one Sunday per month for overtime. When I call for my renewal I will definitely use it to my advantage that my service was recently out for six days and that seems like way too long to be without anything.
Misery loves company
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#824 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:14 am

That sucks. I've had zero outages in about 8 years with uverse. If you call and get India (most of their CS is in India, some is in US), hang up and go to their online chat from their website. It's still India but you can understand them plus I've had great deals that way.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man

Post#825 » by dbrodz7 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 3:37 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:That sucks. I've had zero outages in about 8 years with uverse. If you call and get India (most of their CS is in India, some is in US), hang up and go to their online chat from their website. It's still India but you can understand them plus I've had great deals that way.

Yeah the guy that fixed it yesterday said don't ever waste your time calling in use the MyATT app and request a service appointment right through there. So you have used online chat to negotiate your rate?
Misery loves company
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#826 » by buckboy » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:12 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:^^^ agreed. Content is getting too fragmented. Easier for me to keep Uverse at a great price. Plus Netflix and Prime. Gives me 99% of what I want with great DVR, no lagging.

What does Uverse cost? I've had Hulu for a year, and I'm done. It's garbage.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#827 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:14 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:That sucks. I've had zero outages in about 8 years with uverse. If you call and get India (most of their CS is in India, some is in US), hang up and go to their online chat from their website. It's still India but you can understand them plus I've had great deals that way.

Yeah the guy that fixed it yesterday said don't ever waste your time calling in use the MyATT app and request a service appointment right through there. So you have used online chat to negotiate your rate?

Yes I have used online chat the past 3 times my contract was up. Each time I asked to keep the same rate, each time they gave me a LOWER rate.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#828 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:To me, the cost of streaming services is so high that it makes it prohibitive to use. I cancelled Hulu Live and went back to cable a while ago and it might be ten bucks more or whatever, but I get the Spectrum app, and I'm not watching sports with lag when I'm watching on my cable box.

These companies are smart/know how to make money. The streaming discount is barely there anymore.

Given discounts, I used to get a pretty jacked up DirecTV package at say $70/month with the random extra fees included but sometimes with a 2 year deal it might be higher.

In the beginning, streaming was $25-40.

This is worth it!

I waited and paid through the nose because back then there weren't all the locals (football, I didn't want to do antenna) and I am not watching live sports 2 minutes behind the action with how much I also am on twitter or texting or looking at the score app.

Now, streaming is mostly $45-60 or more. DirecTV usually gives me some sort of discount every year when I threaten them down to $65-70.

No longer worth it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#829 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Mar 2, 2020 4:18 pm

buckboy wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:^^^ agreed. Content is getting too fragmented. Easier for me to keep Uverse at a great price. Plus Netflix and Prime. Gives me 99% of what I want with great DVR, no lagging.

I'm paying around $110 (including taxes and fees) for internet and TV, I believe I have the U300 package. I don't know what kind of deals they have for new subscribers. I know they are trying to get customers to sue their streaming service rather than Uverse. I believe I'm on a 2 year deal currently which will be expiring in June.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#830 » by buckboy » Mon Mar 2, 2020 5:50 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
buckboy wrote:

I'm paying around $110 (including taxes and fees) for internet and TV, I believe I have the U300 package. I don't know what kind of deals they have for new subscribers. I know they are trying to get customers to sue their streaming service rather than Uverse. I believe I'm on a 2 year deal currently which will be expiring in June.

I assume no problems with the service then. I've heard horror stories.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#831 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Mar 2, 2020 6:06 pm

buckboy wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
buckboy wrote:

I assume no problems with the service then. I've heard horror stories.

Haven't been out one second in about 8 years. Now I've jinxed it. When I had Directv and Time Warner before that I had outages all the time. But I've heard about uverse outages as well.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man

Post#832 » by dbrodz7 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 7:05 pm

I was told squirrels have been damaging our lines and that's why we've been out the last two weekends.
Misery loves company
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#833 » by mlloyd10 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 7:41 pm

AT&T launch there new TV service today - From what i see its basically Amazon Fire TV with Live Channels.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#834 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Mar 2, 2020 7:51 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:I was told squirrels have been damaging our lines and that's why we've been out the last two weekends.

Back charge em.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,017

Post#835 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Mon Mar 2, 2020 10:24 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
buckboy wrote:

I had uverse for 10 years before going to streaming. I recently looked into going back and couldn't get u200 for less than 120ish with fees. I'm fine with YouTube TV, provided this contract gets worked out.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 964

Post#836 » by Ryan5UW » Tue Mar 3, 2020 2:02 am

Funny... I tried calling Spectrum a few months ago to cancel when my promotions ended and they wouldn't do anything about my bill going up almost $40/mo. I played around with a couple streaming services and just called again to finally cut my tv and phone service and they made zero attempt to save my business - didn't offer to lower my bill at all or ask if I would consider staying... she just processed my request.

Deuces bitches!
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,110

Post#837 » by LittleRooster » Tue Mar 3, 2020 2:20 am

Ryan5UW wrote:Funny... I tried calling Spectrum a few months ago to cancel when my promotions ended and they wouldn't do anything about my bill going up almost $40/mo. I played around with a couple streaming services and just called again to finally cut my tv and phone service and they made zero attempt to save my business - didn't offer to lower my bill at all or ask if I would consider staying... she just processed my request.

Deuces bitches!

I had the same experience. The rep did tell me that it’s possible to get a better offer a month after cancelling fwiw. Got one in the mail today for 44.75 for bundling tv. I’m assuming that cost is in addition to the 70 I already pay for internet.

But I’m staying with YTTV for now, as long as I get FSWI, because I can share the cost with my brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,050

Post#838 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Mar 3, 2020 3:46 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:To me, the cost of streaming services is so high that it makes it prohibitive to use. I cancelled Hulu Live and went back to cable a while ago and it might be ten bucks more or whatever, but I get the Spectrum app, and I'm not watching sports with lag when I'm watching on my cable box.

Agreed. I'm riding it out with DirecTV. To their credit they annually offer me discount ranging from $25-$60/off a month, service has no lag, is reliable outside major rain/ a few times a year (not anymore than wifi dropping occassionally), mobile viewing, high capacity dvr, etc. Not worth saving $10-15/month (if that) imo. Next year they already tossed in Sunday Ticket Max for free.

It just seems like streaming is raising $, in disputes, and I don't want to rely on internet for my TV or have the lag.

If DTV stops doing discounts then different story. But been with since 2011 and always at least offer me $25/month off. Currently they have me at $65/off for 6 months and then $40/off the following 6.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#839 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:16 pm

Just discovered locast.org

It's local channels over the internet in some cities. I might drop YouTubeTV and where I live antennas are sketchy for a couple channels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
soxperry
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,919

Post#840 » by soxperry » Wed Mar 4, 2020 11:41 pm

Changed from Youtube tv to Hulu Live td (no ads) and what do you know? Ads (during Bucks games), and you can't fast forward through them. Oh, you want to be able to fast forward through ads? That'll be an extra 10 bucks! So for the low low price of 74.99 per month you can have Hulu no ads on demand plus live tv with "ENHANCED DVR" which removes the nuisance feature that we programmed in to incentivize you to give us extra money! :D

I'm cancelling 4 days into my subscription and they refuse to credit me back the unused days.. so i have 60-something dollars worth of hulu live tv package that i dont want. my fault for not thoroughly researching their packages and features, i just assumed it was like youtube tv. the worst part is that youtube tv never actually lost FS WI so i never really had to switch.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks