ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Young Sterling
Sophomore
And1: 137

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1321 » by Young Sterling » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:09 pm

I will never forget the "Lance a make em Dance" chants :lol:
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Post#1322 » by NippySudz » Sun Mar 1, 2020 12:21 am

Please sign a center, clips to take up the last roster spot. If Zu were to get injured, we would have no size on our Frontline.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#1323 » by Vae Victus » Tue Mar 3, 2020 1:16 am

Rather wished the Clips had gotten Willy Cauly Stein after he got released by the Kings. But im guessing he wants more than 3rd string C mins.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,880

Post#1324 » by esqtvd » Tue Mar 3, 2020 3:22 am

Vae Victus wrote:Rather wished the Clips had gotten Willy Cauly Stein after he got released by the Kings. But im guessing he wants more than 3rd string C mins.

only on paper
Willie is so lame

washed out off 2 crap teams
and now racking up DNPs for the Cubans

I'd rather have a crafty veteran use his tricks on Joker

and have a crafty veteran around to get Zu's back if he starts getting used by one
say, by Dwight

I also want somebody to run at The Brow if they go small

time to start looking at matchups
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#1325 » by NippySudz » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:15 am

esqtvd wrote:
Vae Victus wrote:Rather wished the Clips had gotten Willy Cauly Stein after he got released by the Kings. But im guessing he wants more than 3rd string C mins.

only on paper
Willie is so lame

washed out off 2 crap teams
and now racking up DNPs for the Cubans

I'd rather have a crafty veteran use his tricks on Joker

and have a crafty veteran around to get Zu's back if he starts getting used by one
say, by Dwight

I also want somebody to run at The Brow if they go small

time to start looking at matchups
Agreed. WCS is not a good piece at all

Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#1326 » by Vae Victus » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:52 am

Ya'll asking too much from a 3rd string C

Becuase WCS washed off of 2 teams is why he's available for nothing. It's clear Doc has his C rotation sewn up with Harrell getting 28 mins and Zu getting 20 (if he's lucky). Pretty much impossible for a 3rd C to get any real mins on this team. if etiher Harrell or Zu get into foul trouble, the other eats all the mins.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1327 » by esqtvd » Tue Mar 3, 2020 10:54 am

Vae Victus wrote:Ya'll asking too much from a 3rd string C

Becuase WCS washed off of 2 teams is why he's available for nothing. It's clear Doc has his C rotation sewn up with Harrell getting 28 mins and Zu getting 20 (if he's lucky). Pretty much impossible for a 3rd C to get any real mins on this team. if etiher Harrell or Zu get into foul trouble, the other eats all the mins.

We're playing with a 14-man roster. As noted on other threads, I think it's clear the front office is holding the 15th spot open for a 3rd big.

[Now that Reggie's solved the PG problem, we don't need anything else.]

But feel free to disagree.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#1328 » by NippySudz » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:04 am

Vae Victus wrote:Ya'll asking too much from a 3rd string C

we don't need a dpoy center(though that would help) we just need someone that's big, mobile and physical. I can't think of any, but I rather have nothing than have WCS. He's more into his art than playing basketball.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#1329 » by NippySudz » Tue Mar 3, 2020 12:44 pm

if noah can do even half of what gasol did last yr at his age and his health, sign me up. I do not trust zu or harrell when it comes to playoff defense. Zu is not a terrible defender but as we get into the later rounds, someone as smart as noah would help. Zu's method of defense seems to be positioning and hands up. It doesn't look as polished.

TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#1330 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Mar 3, 2020 6:20 pm

Think we might be waiting/hoping that Kyle O'Quinn will be bought out. He'd help.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,260

Post#1331 » by nickhx2 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 7:57 pm

i feel like that name's been on the radar for some time now.

but i'm not familiar at all with his game.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#1332 » by QRich3 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:51 pm

Whoever's not been bought out already can't be signed for the postseason right? wasn't the cutoff date 03/01?
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#1333 » by NippySudz » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:49 pm

QRich3 wrote:Whoever's not been bought out already can't be signed for the postseason right? wasn't the cutoff date 03/01?
Correct

Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 721

Post#1334 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Mar 4, 2020 7:25 pm

So our only options for 15th guy are players without nba contracts? Overseas-G-leaguers or Noah?
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1335 » by esqtvd » Wed Mar 4, 2020 11:34 pm

DieHardFan wrote:So our only options for 15th guy are players without nba contracts? Overseas-G-leaguers or Noah?

Yes, must have been a FA as of March 1. This is why the Lakers say they cut Troy Daniels before then. He just signed with the Nuggets and is playoff eligible.
JayClips92
Junior
And1: 147

Post#1336 » by JayClips92 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:58 pm

Sign and trade Trez for Rudy Gobert?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1337 » by esqtvd » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:09 pm

JayClips92 wrote:Sign and trade Trez for Rudy Gobert?

Nothing in it for the Jazz. Trezz has his value but he's simply not a starting center in the NBA. Jazz are a lottery team without Rudy, IMO.

Sign-and-trades are usually not for one-to-one value--you're usually taking an unwanted contract off somebody's hands so they can make room for the guy they really want, Trezz in this case. Usually there's a sweetener pick or young players involved for the FA's original team.

The Chris Paul S&T was unique for multiple reasons:

--the Rockets wanted Chris BAD, gamechanger bad--nobody will want Trezz that bad
    --CP was willing to take a below-market deal to make it happen
    --The Rockets needed to dump salary to make it happen

It turned out great for us, but Houston didn't exactly gut their rotation--

--Lou Will had had a crap season for the Rockets
    --Bev was a marginal starter
    --Trezz was a 2nd-stringer
    --the FRP they sent us was #30, turned to Omari Spellman, already on his 3rd team in 2 years
    --Dekker's now playing in Russia

BTW, we used the FRP to dump Jamal Crawford's salary on the Hawks, lol

S&Ts are for financial reasons, not value
I don't see any meaningful return in a S&T involving Trezz

Frankly, the salary cap will take such a huge hit because of the stoppage that there'll be little player movement at all

guys like Trezz will probably take 1-year deals and try their luck again in the summer of 2021
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,190

Post#1338 » by wco81 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 9:09 pm

So it's only been about a year since Kawhi signed with the Clippers and got PG13 to force a trade out of OKC

Seems like a lot longer ago.

They both signed but only for 3 years each. Next summer, either could opt out because they have player options for the 2021-2022 season, each at about $37-38 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-clippers/yearly/cap/

I think the presumption was that both players would re-sign to super max deals then and that the team would pay whatever luxury taxes it would take, with the richest owner in the league or all of sports.

Do the Clippers have to win this year or next for these super max extensions to be executed?

Or will either of the players look elsewhere if they are unable to win in these two seasons?

Will Ballmer pay whatever it takes to keep these and other key players even if they're unable to reach the franchise's goals?

Ballmer's net worth has gone up by tens of billions since the start of the year. He paid 9 figures just to make the Forum owners go away.

Even if the new arena is in place before the super max decisions are made, they may be paying more in luxury taxes than the revenues generated by a new arena.

Harrell and Morris are both UFAs after this season. They would probably take multiyear contracts worth tens of millions. Then in summer of 2021, Lou Williams would be up for an extension. Add two super max contracts and for 2021-22, payroll for 6 players could be at $120 million or more.

Ballmer can definitely pay those salaries and taxes but will he if this core doesn't win this year or next?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#1339 » by esqtvd » Sun Aug 9, 2020 4:21 am

wco81 wrote:
Ballmer can definitely pay those salaries and taxes but will he if this core doesn't win this year or next?

Excellent conversation starter!

The yearly profit and loss is immaterial. The only smart financial goal is to continue to grow the Los Angeles Clippers brand into one of the top 3 or 5 NBA franchises. It was said Ballmer overpaid at $2.2B, but by most estimates, they're already worth that and more.

NBA franchise valuations, per Forbes:
New York Knicks: $4.6 billion.
Los Angeles Lakers: $4.4 billion.
Golden State Warriors: $4.3 billion.
Chicago Bulls: $3.2 billion.
Boston Celtics: $3.1 billion.
Los Angeles Clippers: $2.6 billion.
Brooklyn Nets: $2.5 billion.
Houston Rockets: $2.475 billion.

Franchise values have tripled in 6 years [2014]: Image

...and the Clips under Ballmer have already leapt from 13th to 6th! He's already made a tidy profit without even winning anything. Pretty good deal, pocketing half a billion on your plaything.

I don't think we'll ever catch the legacy and value of the Lakers, but I also think that if ownership stays with the dysfunctional Buss family, the gap will close. They caught a huge 2 or 3-year band-aid with LeBron, but after trading a decade's worth of FRPs [past and future] to the Pelicans for Anthony Davis, without Bron on the floor the Lakers are STILL the Pelicans either way.

Ballmer's Clippers have become THE NBA destination for FAs. Best city, best owner, best front office by far, TWO championship coaches [Doc and Tyronn] and not only a culture built on Pat, Trezz and Lou--but PG and especially Kawhi, the most unselfish teammates anybody could ask for.

[This is not to diss LeBron. But I would rather win a title with Kawhi. Rather one with Magic than Kobe. Rather win just one with anybody else than with Jordan. Just sayin'.]
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,190

Post#1340 » by wco81 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:19 am

It should be an interesting offseason regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

You have a key free agent in Harrell.

Besides him, there are Morris and Jackson. Are both of these guys strictly rentals? Guess it depends on how they play in the next few weeks?

Morris is earning $15 million while Jackson is getting $500k. Morris will want at least the same amount and Jackson will look for increase.

Have to see where the cap is, to see if Clippers could sign better players. If not for the cap, no problem re-signing all 3 Clippers UFAs or replacing one or more with better free agents.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers