ImageImageImage

Kevin Porter Junior

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,379

Re: Kevin Porter Junior 

Post#21 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 2, 2020 9:40 pm

Kevin Porter clearly has a lot of talent, but he really needs to get himself under control and refine his game and his shot. Hopefully he puts in the work this Summer with the rest of our kids.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#22 » by gflem » Mon Mar 2, 2020 11:03 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Kevin Porter clearly has a lot of talent, but he really needs to get himself under control and refine his game and his shot. Hopefully he puts in the work this Summer with the rest of our kids.

Agreed, somewhat like how Sexton has learned how to better use his speed. Both have a long way to go but clearly have the talent to be above average NBA players.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#23 » by Richfield » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:49 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Kevin Porter clearly has a lot of talent, but he really needs to get himself under control and refine his game and his shot. Hopefully he puts in the work this Summer with the rest of our kids.

Vague, obvious, condescending, and you could say this about any player with "clear talent" in the entire league.

Let's go Cavs fans, we're better than this.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#24 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 3, 2020 10:17 pm

Richfield wrote:

Vague, obvious, condescending, and you could say this about any player with "clear talent" in the entire league.

If you're trying to uphold higher posting standards, you're doing a rotten job of it.

I've been preaching patience all season with the kids, and I'm going to keep on doing so regardless of what you think, or their particular high and low points.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#25 » by gflem » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:14 pm

Richfield wrote:

Condescending? How so? I think KPJ and Kryrie had about the same amount of college games under their belt. I would say that Kryrie was much further along when he got to the NBA. Waaaay different situations, but if the destination is the player harnessing his talent to the fullest I don't see any issue with the original post. Maturity comes along differently for everyone, and for some it doesn't. As a Cavs fan, and as a person I am totally rooting for KPJ.
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#26 » by Richfield » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:35 am

Grown pretty tired of the same patronizing takes that really just say nothing at all, but are posted just to make clear that you're the judge and jury.

There is nothing unique that you're observing about Kevin Porter Junior in particular in saying those things. You could be talking about anybody.

For decades I've read the same takes on multiple boards from the same few people saying nothing. Just going out of their way to be patronizing, and establish their position as the judge.

Every rookie needs to get themselves "under control" and "work hard" and "refine their game and shot" in the offseason. That's what offseasons are for!

It's disrespectful to the players. They know they need to do those things. We know they need to do those things. And they're not your "kids".

"TO FULLFILL YOUR POTENTIAL YOU NEED TO WORK HARD AND BE SMART AND STAY OUT OF TROUBLE AND......" blah blah blah blah.

Come on! We're better than this!
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#27 » by JonFromVA » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:32 pm

Richfield wrote:Grown pretty tired of the same patronizing takes that really just say nothing at all, but are posted just to make clear that you're the judge and jury.

There is nothing unique that you're observing about Kevin Porter Junior in particular in saying those things. You could be talking about anybody.

For decades I've read the same takes on multiple boards from the same few people saying nothing. Just going out of their way to be patronizing, and establish their position as the judge.

Every rookie needs to get themselves "under control" and "work hard" and "refine their game and shot" in the offseason. That's what offseasons are for!

It's disrespectful to the players. They know they need to do those things. We know they need to do those things. And they're not your "kids".

"TO FULLFILL YOUR POTENTIAL YOU NEED TO WORK HARD AND BE SMART AND STAY OUT OF TROUBLE AND......" blah blah blah blah.

Feel free to show us the way. Not sure what you think trolling the board achieves.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#28 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:45 pm

Richfield wrote:Grown pretty tired of the same patronizing takes that really just say nothing at all, but are posted just to make clear that you're the judge and jury.

blah blah blah get over yourself
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#29 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:59 pm

KPJ was put in the concussion protocol.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,052

Post#30 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:25 pm

Who would've guessed that he would get paid more than Sexton?

Edit: 4 years $82.5 million for KPJ and 4 years $70.95 million for Sexton.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#31 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:42 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Who would've guessed that he would get paid more than Sexton?

If everything goes well, otherwise he may earn a fraction of what Sexton is guaranteed.

Even after 2 years, it seems Houston still has doubts about him.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 856

Post#32 » by ijspeelman » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:04 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

If everything goes well, otherwise he may earn a fraction of what Sexton is guaranteed.

If I were Houston, I would also have doubts about him.

I do not like the KPJ point guard experiment they have been trying. He gets the assist numbers, but the eye test does not work for me. I don't see him getting a lot of advanced passes and can be very lazy with his passes. He is also a pretty inefficient scorer who is in-love with the inefficient three point pull-up (shoots 5.5/36 on 33.2% last year).

All of that being said, he is a young player and can definitely build on his foundation. I think this a very harmless deal if you are the Rockets. I still would say Sexton and him are probably worth about the same right now as they swap scoring+efficiency and passing volume+proficiency. They are probably both suited off the bench on a winning team currently.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#33 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:47 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If I were Houston, I would also have doubts about him.

I do not like the KPJ point guard experiment they have been trying. He gets the assist numbers, but the eye test does not work for me. I don't see him getting a lot of advanced passes and can be very lazy with his passes. He is also a pretty inefficient scorer who is in-love with the inefficient three point pull-up (shoots 5.5/36 on 33.2% last year).

All of that being said, he is a young player and can definitely build on his foundation. I think this a very harmless deal if you are the Rockets. I still would say Sexton and him are probably worth about the same right now as they swap scoring+efficiency and passing volume+proficiency. They are probably both suited off the bench on a winning team currently.

I was speaking more about the non-basketball stuff, because that rich of a non-guaranteed deal seems unprecedented in the NBA.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#34 » by Revenged25 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:09 pm

JonFromVA wrote:

Honestly, I would say that Sexton's contract should be considered who got paid more due to guarantees. Sure if KPJ makes it all the way through he would actually end up making more, but almost every player in the NBA would take a little less for more guaranteed money incase of injury, poor performance, etc. Normally it's only flash in the pan role players that wanted to get that big contract and hope to keep up their level of play to get through the bigger contract will take that knowing that at worst once the guaranteed runs out in the front end they'll be able to resign a more appropriate role player contract going forward.

Also although I didn't get to see the game, looks like Sexton balled out for Utah in their opener. 20 points in 21 minutes off the bench. That's crazy good for Utah as at 4/70 he'll definitely be a great trade asset if they don't decide to keep him long term.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#35 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:16 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Honestly, I would say that Sexton's contract should be considered who got paid more due to guarantees. Sure if KPJ makes it all the way through he would actually end up making more, but almost every player in the NBA would take a little less for more guaranteed money incase of injury, poor performance, etc. Normally it's only flash in the pan role players that wanted to get that big contract and hope to keep up their level of play to get through the bigger contract will take that knowing that at worst once the guaranteed runs out in the front end they'll be able to resign a more appropriate role player contract going forward.

Also although I didn't get to see the game, looks like Sexton balled out for Utah in their opener. 20 points in 21 minutes off the bench. That's crazy good for Utah as at 4/70 he'll definitely be a great trade asset if they don't decide to keep him long term.

Yeah, they should feel free to send Lauri, Collin and Ochai back here before they win too many games. Alas, Ainge will want more picks and we're out of them.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers