Random Thoughts Thread Part 4

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#841 » by payitforward » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:55 pm

Great stuff, everyone.

I really loved Gilbert's spot. Such a talented individual.

What does that guy do with his time, I just asked myself, that puts to good use the soul & charisma he has?

Google gives me the latest news: he just started coaching youth basketball in So Cal -- he did it after Kobe's repeated urgings. Hope he gets way way into it.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,151

Post#842 » by Zonkerbl » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:29 am

Sigh. I'm on a business trip in South Africa and all the Zion Williamson highlight videos are regionally restricted and I can't watch them.

Very sad for me.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#843 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Speaking of trips overseas, are you all cancelling plans because of coronavirus? Relatives have a vacation set for France next month and are now re-thinking it. Can you see people stocking up for food at the grocery stores soon - afraid that they won't let their employees go to work? Are you planning on telecommuting? People are going to start wearing masks when they go out - if they go out at all. Today, your neighbor's going to the Giant to get 30 cans of tuna and 20 cans of chilli - if they haven't run out. What about you?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#844 » by Zonkerbl » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:03 am

Dudes my Alma mater, Dayton, is #4 in the country right now!
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 592

Post#845 » by BearlyBallin » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:Speaking of trips overseas, are you all cancelling plans because of coronavirus? Relatives have a vacation set for France next month and are now re-thinking it. Can you see people stocking up for food at the grocery stores soon - afraid that they won't let their employees go to work? Are you planning on telecommuting? People are going to start wearing masks when they go out - if they go out at all. Today, your neighbor's going to the Giant to get 30 cans of tuna and 20 cans of chilli - if they haven't run out. What about you?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/26/809650625/a-guide-how-to-prepare-your-home-for-coronavirus

A Guide: How To Prepare Your Home For Coronavirus
February 26, 20205:56 PM ET
Maria Godoy
Senior Editor, NPR Science Desk
———————-

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/share-facts.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fabout%2Fshare-facts-stop-fear.html

From The Center for Disease Control and Prevention

Know the facts about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and help stop the spread of rumors.
——————
I found these 2 links most helpful and up to date, both posted or reviewed 3 days ago or sooner.

It helped me feel better prepared and clear up some misinformation.

Personally I’ve chosen not to travel. I’m over 60 and probably at a higher risk. But if I needed to travel (example, care for a parent) I’d probably do it & pack hand sanitizer.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#846 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:48 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Speaking of trips overseas, are you all cancelling plans because of coronavirus? Relatives have a vacation set for France next month and are now re-thinking it. Can you see people stocking up for food at the grocery stores soon - afraid that they won't let their employees go to work? Are you planning on telecommuting? People are going to start wearing masks when they go out - if they go out at all. Today, your neighbor's going to the Giant to get 30 cans of tuna and 20 cans of chilli - if they haven't run out. What about you?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/26/809650625/a-guide-how-to-prepare-your-home-for-coronavirus

A Guide: How To Prepare Your Home For Coronavirus
February 26, 20205:56 PM ET
Maria Godoy
Senior Editor, NPR Science Desk
———————-

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/share-facts.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fabout%2Fshare-facts-stop-fear.html

From The Center for Disease Control and Prevention

Know the facts about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and help stop the spread of rumors.
——————
I found these 2 links most helpful and up to date, both posted or reviewed 3 days ago or sooner.

It helped me feel better prepared and clear up some misinformation.

Personally I’ve chosen not to travel. I’m over 60 and probably at a higher risk. But if I needed to travel (example, care for a parent) I’d probably do it & pack hand sanitizer.

Good stuff. It's interesting that there doesn't appear to be a recommendation for healthy people to wear masks - it's more for those who are sick so they don't infect others.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 592

Post#847 » by BearlyBallin » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Good stuff. It's interesting that there doesn't appear to be a recommendation for healthy people to wear masks - it's more for those who are sick so they don't infect others.

From the Weather Channel,
“Vice President Mike Pence said the State Department will issue a Level 4 "Do Not Travel" advisory for parts of Italy and South Korea experiencing outbreaks of the disease. A similar advisory, the highest from the State Department, is already in effect for China.”
———
My wife just got home from Costco and found the chicken breast freezer empty as well as the chicken thighs and drum stick freezers empty too. I guess the DMV hoarders really like chicken lol :D
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#848 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:18 pm

yeah State Department wants us to restrict travel to just mission critical trips for now.

I will gladly telecommute/play video games
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#849 » by Zonkerbl » Tue Mar 3, 2020 5:24 pm

Important things to know about coronavirus:
1. Masks don't help. Don't go out and buy up a bunch of masks other people need more than you
2. WASH YOUR HANDS. The coronavirus has a lipid (fatty) shell so washing your hands with soap will literally kill it, even though it's a virus. Sing "happy birthday to me" twice while soaping up.
3. If you're not in a vulnerable group your morbidity rate is like 0.1%. You'll be fine. Your job is to not spread it to old and immuno-compromised people.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#850 » by dobrojim » Tue Mar 3, 2020 9:18 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Important things to know about coronavirus:
1. Masks don't help. Don't go out and buy up a bunch of masks other people need more than you
2. WASH YOUR HANDS. The coronavirus has a lipid (fatty) shell so washing your hands with soap will literally kill it, even though it's a virus. Sing "happy birthday to me" twice while soaping up.
3. If you're not in a vulnerable group your morbidity rate is like 0.1%. You'll be fine. Your job is to not spread it to old and immuno-compromised people.

Putting on my biologist hat for a moment (I was a biologist at NIH for a couple few decades).
Not sure how many folks understand what viruses are. Depending on how you define 'life',
they're not really alive. They're just little packages of instructions, inert until they infect
a targeted cell, that can hijack the machinery of a living cell. A virus particle can't do anything
until it gets inside an actual living cell. Obligate intracellular parasites. But we all (mostly) understand,
they can be nasty little boogers.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#851 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:57 pm

Okay, "deactivate it" then
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#852 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:45 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Okay, "deactivate it" then

I like to think of it as opening up your ipad to try to change the battery. The whole thing is basically ruined at that point and you might as well buy a new one.

a message from Apple
Bucket! Bucket!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#853 » by Kanyewest » Wed Mar 4, 2020 8:05 pm

I tried telling number 1 to my mom, she wasn't budging on it.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#854 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 4, 2020 8:39 pm

And don't spread it to babies. That's not as easy as it sounds, because spreading it to a young adult can lead to that person spreading it to a baby or to an old person.

I asked my microbiologist friend about masks. Where they do help is if you have the virus - so you don't spread it, but yeah - it won't help in stopping you from getting it. And there's a worldwide shortage of masks, so - like you said - don't buy them.

Amazing that they haven't tested people in some cases in the US because there's been a shortage of kits.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#855 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 4, 2020 8:57 pm

People really suck sometimes. https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/24/gluten-intolerant-student-sues-university-served-toast-12295007/
Hannah Smith, 20, filed a lawsuit against the University of Maryland on February 20 claiming she became violently-ill after being served foods containing gluten. She alleges that on complaining that she’d been served food containing gluten that made her ill, she was served blackened toast by a sarcastic member of staff. That worker is said to have told her: ‘You know, I got called on the carpet because nobody told me that malt had gluten in it. ‘Here’s your breakfast. I hope you enjoy your “gluten free” toast.

All students living on campus must buy a meal plan, with the student keen to ensure a gluten-free option would be made available. Staff are said to have reassured Smith and her family that her intolerance could be accommodated. But they are accused of reneging on that promise at least three times during the 2017-18 academic year by serving Smith food containing gluten. The federal lawsuit says staff did so despite Smith asking on each occasion whether or not the meal contained gluten.

The last time they did it on purpose - because she complained after the previous time. I guess people don't understand the physical reaction that many people with Celiac get when they have even a tiny bit of gluten. Personally, I'm lucky. I have Celiac but haven't had a bad reaction to gluten - yet. My brother, otoh, does get horribly sick generally for a full day - heaving his guts out - he's said sometimes he's thought he'd die from it. Others get horrible diarrhea that can last a week. I hear comedians joke about people requesting no gluten - as if asking for that consideration is being a jerk. Crazy.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#856 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 6, 2020 8:02 pm

dobrojim wrote:

Putting on my biologist hat for a moment (I was a biologist at NIH for a couple few decades).
Not sure how many folks understand what viruses are. Depending on how you define 'life',
they're not really alive. They're just little packages of instructions, inert until they infect
a targeted cell, that can hijack the machinery of a living cell. A virus particle can't do anything
until it gets inside an actual living cell. Obligate intracellular parasites. But we all (mostly) understand,
they can be nasty little boogers.

This is starting to get real for me - since I live and work in Montgomery County - not far from NIH btw - and 3 people from MoCo have been identified as having the virus. Yeah, they probably got it overseas, but they'd been out and about in MoCo before being diagnosed. I wouldn't be bothered personally much, but my parents live in MoCo, and they're even older than I am and paranoid types. Luckily, I have a sibling with a science background somewhat similar to yours to give them the scoop.

But like Zonk mentioned, telecommuting is probably going to be a must at some point. MD's declared a state of emergency.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#857 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:40 pm

Well, I'm set up with a couple months supply of spaghetti and tuna. Add a little butter and garlic, mmm. Once the McDonalds close, you know that's the end of civilization as we know it. Then there's only one solution - colonize Mars.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#858 » by payitforward » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:04 am

Hey, I'm retired -- & I'm telecommuting!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#859 » by LyricalRico » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:52 am

Ruzious wrote:Well, I'm set up with a couple months supply of spaghetti and tuna. Add a little butter and garlic, mmm. Once the McDonalds close, you know that's the end of civilization as we know it. Then there's only one solution - colonize Mars.

Just finished a stock-up run myself, bro. Don't really like tuna, but was able to get some of the last of the spaghetti. Picked up some scrapple too, so I'm good to go! :D

I also live/work in MoCo with the ability to WFH so I'm not planning to leave the house for a while. Not necessarily worried about my own odds as a healthy millennial, but I don't want to become the "Rudy Gobert" of my family/job/neighborhood. :nonono:
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#860 » by Kanyewest » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:59 am

Ruzious wrote:Well, I'm set up with a couple months supply of spaghetti and tuna. Add a little butter and garlic, mmm. Once the McDonalds close, you know that's the end of civilization as we know it. Then there's only one solution - colonize Mars.

It might be time to start growing crops.

Return to Washington Wizards