lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Re: OT - Current Affairs/Events 

Post#221 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:25 pm

RunDogGun wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Agree with sunskerr

Impeachment is a ways off time with the Senate majority. Nothing will come off it and Trump will get the pleasure of doubling down on the - I did nothing wrong mantra

Dems are wasting time

It may be futile, but it had to be done. If the legislative branch didn't do their job of oversight over the executive branch, and in this case the president has committed multiple crimes while in office, then we lose a foundational part of our government. Checks and balances keep us from becoming a dictatorship or monarchy, which our founders spoke at great lengths about. Not to mention that this particular crime was designed to influence an upcoming election.

If a president is allowed to commit crimes, withhold evidence of that crime from the American people, then he should be removed from office. It is scary watching a senate majority go along with the coverup. Hopefully some will grow a spine and ask for relevant witnesses and documents. The people have a right to know what people who work for them are doing.

I kind of think it's a waste of time. I'm not American so I'm not as well educated in the American government than I would like to be but knowing and given the obstacles in the way of the actual removal from office (ie Republican majority in Senate), it feels like a waste of time.

And regarding influence for the upcoming election, I think it might have the opposite effect that the Dems hoped to see. I think it's possible that there is a bigger divide among Americans because of this and some might even see it as the witch hunt narrative that Trump had created.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#222 » by ATTL » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:02 pm

I have sources at the hospital in Seattle area where the 7 patients died.
It doesn't sound like the CDC cares to know the true number of infected, they aren't testing people unless they're in critical condition apparently.

I have 50lbs of rice
10lbs pasta
10 lbs tomato sauce
20 cans of spam
20 cans of chili
40 packs of ramen
10 lbs of beef jerkey
20 cans of pineapple
50 gallons drinking water
40 gallons for cooking
10 gallons of vodka
2 gallons of honey

I can donate the food if I don't end up eating it.
Desertfox
Pro Prospect
And1: 819

Post#223 » by Desertfox » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:11 pm

That is a lot of Vodka... Whats with all the water? I wouldn't expect the coronavirus to impact water supplies, unlike natural disasters.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#224 » by ATTL » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:14 pm

I dont trust Phoenix summer without water on hand and a true **** hits fan scenario.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,176

Post#225 » by Frank Lee » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:45 pm

ATTL wrote:I have sources at the hospital in Seattle area where the 7 patients died.
It doesn't sound like the CDC cares to know the true number of infected, they aren't testing people unless they're in critical condition apparently.

I have 50lbs of rice
10lbs pasta
10 lbs tomato sauce
20 cans of spam
20 cans of chili
40 packs of ramen
10 lbs of beef jerkey
20 cans of pineapple
40 gallons for cooking
10 gallons of vodka
2 gallons of honey

limes ? Tonic ? BMary mix ?

amateur prepper :lol:

good move though....
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#226 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 9:53 pm

Some instructions...

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#227 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:10 pm

The attitude Trump is taking towards the corona-virus from an outsiders perspective is that he's unjustly overconfident in his ability to contain the spread. I get it's important not to spread panic but just hearing him, I don't really get the feeling that he fully comprehends the severity of this if there is an outbreak in America.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#228 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:38 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:The attitude Trump is taking towards the corona-virus from an outsiders perspective is that he's unjustly overconfident in his ability to contain the spread. I get it's important not to spread panic but just hearing him, I don't really get the feeling that he fully comprehends the severity of this if there is an outbreak in America.

I think he knows it's serious but just doesn't care to take it seriously, and more importantly, is petrified of it impacting the stock market. Half the time people asks about it he seems to say "the market will be fine" as a response. He is really worried about getting re-elected. But he also says stuff like we are doing everything and it's not that big of a deal, and it sounds like it will pretty much go away when it gets a little hotter in April. He's obviously just making stuff up off the top of his head.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#229 » by ATTL » Wed Mar 4, 2020 10:51 pm

Frank Lee wrote:
ATTL wrote:I have sources at the hospital in Seattle area where the 7 patients died.

I have 50lbs of rice
10lbs pasta
10 lbs tomato sauce
20 cans of spam
20 cans of chili
40 packs of ramen
10 lbs of beef jerkey
20 cans of pineapple
40 gallons for cooking
10 gallons of vodka
2 gallons of honey

good move though....

Actually a good point, I didn't even think of mixer.
wheezy
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#230 » by wheezy » Thu Mar 5, 2020 2:50 am

ATTL wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:

I have 50lbs of rice
10lbs pasta
10 lbs tomato sauce
20 cans of spam
20 cans of chili
40 packs of ramen
10 lbs of beef jerkey
20 cans of pineapple
40 gallons for cooking
10 gallons of vodka
2 gallons of honey

good move though....

Actually a good point, I didn't even think of mixer.

Looks like you've at least got pineapple juice if you need it....
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,176

Post#231 » by Frank Lee » Thu Mar 5, 2020 4:42 am

wheezy b resourceful :eyebrows:
What ? Me Worry ?
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,463

Post#232 » by SunsRback4Good » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:44 am

bwgood77 wrote:Some instructions...

Read on Twitter

I have Tourettes does she expect me to wash my face every 45 seconds and not accidentally touch my face without realizing what've done? I heard today there was already a patient with coronavirus here in Arizona. Time to stock up my shelves and wear a face mask. A tourettes guy who goes shopping while wearing a facemask, oh absolutely nothing frightening with that. People will probably panic and run away from me towards coronavirus. :(
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#233 » by sunsbum » Thu Mar 5, 2020 10:20 am

lilfishi22 wrote:The attitude Trump is taking towards the corona-virus from an outsiders perspective is that he's unjustly overconfident in his ability to contain the spread. I get it's important not to spread panic but just hearing him, I don't really get the feeling that he fully comprehends the severity of this if there is an outbreak in America.

I disagree. Quite frankly this whole virus circus is fear mongering propaganda by the media. I have to give them a tip of my cap because they have the U.S. in a full blown panic over a flu that has a smaller mortality rate than the "common flu", whatever that is. People say "but there's no cure for the corona virus" and I ask, since when has there ever been a cure for a flu? Sure you can get a flu shot but that doesn't mean you wont get sick. While Trump deserves some of the flack he gets because of his poor bedside manner, It's just so predictable that literally anything in the world that is wrong at this point is Trump's fault. World War 3, never forget. Trump derangement syndrome seems to be more of a threat to humanity than some wonky flu virus that I've survived 3 times in the last 10 years. (bird/swine/ebola)
Flex is now your father.
GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Post#234 » by GoodBehavior » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:42 pm

I have 50lbs of rice
10lbs pasta
10 lbs tomato sauce
20 cans of spam
20 cans of chili
40 packs of ramen
10 lbs of beef jerkey
20 cans of pineapple
40 gallons for cooking
10 gallons of vodka
2 gallons of honey

You need only 2 weeks (maybe 3 weeks top). You have enough to last a year. In China, the cov-19 impact has peaked a week ago and is getting back to normal now. It took them about a month. Doubt you will be quarantine more than a month.

If you're a healthy person and under 65, getting cov-19 will be very very mild and probably protect you for the next round (assuming there is another). Its the elderly and those with health issue that should be concern.

If you live in a warm climate and a spread out community (aka unlike NYC) ... like Arizona... life isn't going to change for you.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#235 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 3:43 pm

sunsbum wrote:

I disagree. Quite frankly this whole virus circus is fear mongering propaganda by the media. I have to give them a tip of my cap because they have the U.S. in a full blown panic over a flu that has a smaller mortality rate than the "common flu", whatever that is. People say "but there's no cure for the corona virus" and I ask, since when has there ever been a cure for a flu? Sure you can get a flu shot but that doesn't mean you wont get sick. While Trump deserves some of the flack he gets because of his poor bedside manner, It's just so predictable that literally anything in the world that is wrong at this point is Trump's fault. World War 3, never forget. Trump derangement syndrome seems to be more of a threat to humanity than some wonky flu virus that I've survived 3 times in the last 10 years. (bird/swine/ebola)

Isn't common flu mortality rate like .1% and coronavirus like 2%? So like 20x the mortality rate?
sunsbum
Assistant Coach

Post#236 » by sunsbum » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:06 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbum wrote:

Isn't common flu mortality rate like .1% and coronavirus like 2%? So like 20x the mortality rate?
The numbers are fluid it seems but it looks like you're right.
Flex is now your father.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#237 » by bwgood77 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 8:19 pm

sunsbum wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbum wrote:

The numbers are fluid it seems but it looks like you're right.

I actually just now read it had a 3.4% mortality rate. I don't think anyone really knows yet. So few people have been tested. I'm sure we will find out a lot more over the coming months.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#238 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 5, 2020 10:21 pm

sunsbum wrote:

I completely agree that the media has blown it totally out of the park with the fear mongering (which has also sparked unnecessary panic buying and an increase in racism) and while it certainly isn't the humanity ending virus that some publishers have made it out to be, I think being ignorant to it is just as dangerous.

Also if it had a lower mortality rate than the common flu, nobody would care because it'll just be consider a different strain of the flu virus. But this is different because it has a much higher mortality rate vs the flu which is between 2-3% (you're right it's fluid but it's been pretty consistently over 2%) for the corona-virus and about 0.1% for the flu. Additionally, the average virus transmission rate is about 1.5 - 2x higher than the regular flu. So this virus is more deadly and spreads easier than the regular flu.
GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Post#239 » by GoodBehavior » Thu Mar 5, 2020 10:40 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
sunsbum wrote:

I completely agree that the media has blown it totally out of the park with the fear mongering (which has also sparked unnecessary panic buying and an increase in racism) and while it certainly isn't the humanity ending virus that some publishers have made it out to be, I think being ignorant to it is just as dangerous.

Also if it had a lower mortality rate than the common flu, nobody would care because it'll just be consider a different strain of the flu virus. But this is different because it has a much higher mortality rate vs the flu which is between 2-3% (you're right it's fluid but it's been pretty consistently over 2%) for the corona-virus and about 0.1% for the flu. Additionally, the average virus transmission rate is about 1.5 - 2x higher than the regular flu. So this virus is more deadly and spreads easier than the regular flu.

+1

It's a serious matter, 3% mortality rate is no joke. It's not fear mongering, the constant attention is necessary. The public, as a general rule, are slow and dim-witted. The situation would be 100x worse if the media didn't constantly harp about it. Without the quarantine protocol in place and people being vigilant (travel is grinding to a halt, etc), the death number would be exponentially above what it is currently. I think the media, for a change, is serving some good.

Ignorance is a contributing factor into why this mess is worse than it is. The Chinese government didn't take it seriously in the beginning, when they were told that this had pandemic potential. In Italy, one hospital messed up and is probably largely responsible for the rapid spread. One hospital. In South korea, a cult was responsible for the spread ...
sunsbum
Assistant Coach

Post#240 » by sunsbum » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:06 pm

Sars had a 10% mortality rate and I dont remember it being as big of a deal. Its hard to believe this is as big of a threat as they are saying when they're telling people to "self quarantine", like what?! I am far more casual about these things than most people. I just refuse to feed into the frenzy of misinformation in a time where literally anyone can inject false headlines into mainstream social media.
Flex is now your father.

Return to Phoenix Suns